Les Chevelles [CAN] - "Ton Ombre Me Suit"
      The Chevelles [IA] - "Blue Chevelle"
      The Chevelles [IN] - "Just Once In My Life"
      The Chevlons - "Too Long Alone"
      The Chevron's V - "I Lost You Today"
      The Chevrons - "Love I Love You"
      Los Cheyenes - "He Perdido Este Juego"
      The Cheynes - "Respectable"

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/375.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/375.mp3

Egg

• May 25, 2012 4:08 PM CDT
    • Show #375: "Bands & Artists Starting With C, Part 7"

Every 3 weeks I do a series of shows I call the "Alphabetical Series" where I randomly draw a letter of the alphabet from a hat. Whatever letter I draw, I take all the bands and artists in my collection (from the 50's, 60's & 70's only) that start with that letter and play them in strict alphabetical order one by one until I run out of time. This week I drew the letter "C". This is the seventh time I've drawn the letter "C", so I will start from where I left off on show #6 (which was with Chubby Checker). So, tune in tonight (Friday at 10:00pm EST) to hear 3 hours of bands and artists that start with "C" like: The Checkers, 7 different Checkmates, The Checkmates International, The Checkmates Ltd., Cheech & Chong, Chelsea, Shinki Chen, The Chentelles, Cher, 2 bands called Cherokee, 2 different Cherokees, Cherry Five, Cherry People, The Cherry Slush, Cherry Smash, Cherry Stones, Carl Cherry, 5 different Chessmen, The Chevell's, The Chevelle V, 3 different Chevelles, The Chevron's V, The Cheynes, and many others!!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• May 26, 2012 12:26 AM CDT
    • Hey.

I just recently(Yesterday) started a lo-fi/noise/beachy sounding band with my roommate after teaching her the basics of bass.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of really beachy sounding lo-fi bands.

By beachy, I mean like Best Coast's early demos (Where The Boys Are/Make You Mine) and The Vivian Girls stuff. 

I was also wondering if there are any bands like that with boys singing. We're sharing vocals and it'd be cool to hear some stuff like that. 
      Thanks so much!

• May 26, 2012 12:13 AM CDT
    • I like the "Not So Pretty " comp , too. The Fleshtones tribute is great , too. I've heard The Fuzztones tribute is great , because Rudi was able to procure so many good bands , so even the Haters might find themselves enjoying it.   I'd like to see a comprehensive Cramps tribute , no Psychobilly bands , thanks. I liked that stuff to a point , but Lux and Ivy never did. Doug Sahm deserves a good tribute record , though The Bottle Rockets did one of their own. There's a few Johnny Thunders tribs , but "Let's Do This One For Johnny" stands tall , even if it does'nt have Little Bob Story. Cub Koda deserves a tribute . I have'nt seen one for The Dolls or The MC5 , though they must exist. A new and improved Roky tribute would be the ticket. The Sky Saxon / Seeds tribute album is finally on the way .......

• May 25, 2012 9:14 PM CDT
    • I really tried , but could'nt , get into the Stoner Rock thing that much , but , I knew it was crucial to a newly repatriated Blue Cheer making any kind of a comeback in The U.S. , which did'nt happen. They played in Chicago five times from 2005 to Dickie Peterson's death , and , on average , performed for 50 to 150 people , because people who should have been there thought they were too cool. I like the tracks on that compilation , but , each and every Stoner and Cookie Monster - Singing Metal band that I saw play with them......well , The Cheer could've eaten them all for breakfast.   Just sayin'.

RJFait said:

If it hadn't been for Blue Cheer tributes, I might have never known there was such a thing as 'stoner metal'. "Blue Explosion" is one of my favorite groupings of post 1984 bands.

John Battles said:

I have'nt been happy with a lot of 'em , but , that's just me. I DON'T recommend "Sonic Cathedral" , Roky fans.  I liked about 5 songs on "Where The Pyramid Meets The Eye". The fact that ZZ TOP did the best cut (OK , it's fact to me, but , a lot of people have agreed .)speaks volumes , tho' , of  course ,they cut their teeth on The Elevators when they played in The Moving Sidewalks and American Blues.... I thought KISS did the best track on "We're a Happy Family" , and I have'nt liked them since Carter was President.

The Sam The Sham comp on Norton is very good . Lotta variety , little , if any , filler and a Drew Friedman cover !

"Groin Thunder" is pretty good. I would have replaced the Dwarves' "Strange Movies" with T.Tex Edwards and Lithium Xmas' version , which came out at the same time.

The Waste Kings' "Feels Like a Woman" would have been an asset , too.

I thought Gary Glitter doing "The Raver" would've been choice. It's practically the blueprint for the "Glitter " sound.  We've already talked about all that other stuff regarding him.

The now - rare Blue Cheer Tribute CD is also very good , Stoner bands that don't suck and Psych bands that seldom noodle cover songs from pretty much every facet of Dickie and The Cheer's career , and do some really interesting things , for the most part.

• May 26, 2012 12:02 AM CDT
    • The Chocolate Watcband in "The Love - ins". Reportedly , they were'nt shown as prominently as they should have been , because band members pulled some ace pranks on the set , pissing off the powers that be . They're shown , center screen , for about 3 seconds , then mainly from the back with acoustic guitars. The song selection is outstanding , including "Are You Gonna Be There (At The Love in?)" , and an extended "No Way Out". Dave Aguilar told me he was so dissatisfied with "Riot on Sunset Strip" (In which The Watchband kicked ass , of course , netting a large piece of the film.), he did'nt bother seeing "The Love - Ins". I sent him a copy , several years ago.

• May 25, 2012 11:53 PM CDT
    • Hey fellow freaks, I've been writing about weird gear for a while and thought I'd post some it for y'all to check out.  I basically grew up playing pawn shop guitars and grew to really love them.  They can still be had for cheap, and with a little work, can be everyday players!  Plus they have the garage sound in spades!!  Here's some examples of what I'm talking about:

Tiki Mask guitar

Bomber Boxx Fuzz

I have tons of weird guitar pics and just run the site as a hobby/passion, and I'd really dig talking oddball gear wit ya. 

Cheers

Franco

• May 25, 2012 8:50 PM CDT
    • there are sharks in the sea of tranquility!

good agents /bad agents they exist, find your own path!

• May 25, 2012 5:28 PM CDT
    • Yep, greed, the number one problem with the world today.

kopper said:

Actually, I think money (read: GREED) trumps testosterone.

Mike Humsgreen said:

Men are generally short on that when they have a goal in sight. Check out what men will do for women and it becomes understandable. I'm sure women too, but all the best examples of loss of self respect I can think of are testosterone ones.

Mardy Pune said:

Man, that is some serious bullshit. Scary to think that some bands will buy into it so they can play. Whatever happened to self-respect?

• May 25, 2012 8:46 PM CDT
    • Too Old To Roll! Works both ways!

• May 25, 2012 4:47 PM CDT
    • A couple of months ago I started a discussion called Too Old To Rock?   There were loads of great replies that took two main directions - musicians of advanced years and listeners, like myself, who'd never see 50 again.  Now for the sequel - are there teenagers out there playing and listening to garage punk?  What should us old farts be listening to so that we look forward and not just back?  

• May 25, 2012 7:12 PM CDT
    • Bought a guitar the other day, on the day of my late father's birthday, on the day my team was beaten by their rivals, and it arrived on the day of a fellow guitarist's funeral.

That said guitar was a teardrop!

This guitar got MOJO!

• May 25, 2012 5:39 PM CDT
    • Playlist May 24/2012

Finally a show without a topic....just cool rock'n'roll with lots of emphasis on the new stuff that's popped up recently.

1. The Gruesomes....What Wave....from Mr Garager's Neighbourhood on OG Records. First time we've played our theme song in ages and hopefully caught some listeners off guard.

2. BeeGees....In My Own Time...from their very first LP, simply titled Bee Gee's 1st.In mono and on Atco, Canadian pressing. For Robin Bee Gee who passed away the other day.

3. Eliza and The Strange...Disease...from their 2012 self titled debut LP. The are from Halifax, Nova Scotia and are now called Bloody Diamonds, which to me, reeks of late 70's psuedo metal.

4. Reply...Memphis Train...Toronto soul/mod/rock'n'roll combo from Toronto that put on killer live shows! See below, April 21/2012 at Brennan's, right here in sleepy London Ontario.

5. The Ballantynes...The Message...from their recent 7" on La Ti Da Records outta Vancouver. Features a former Tranzmitor or 2 on this soul drenched single.

6. Joey Ramone...7 Days Of Gloom...from his latest, ...Ya Know on BMG. Picked this one up at Walmart the other day.

7. The DeRellas...Go Go DeRella....UK combo on Dirty Water Records, again brand new.

8. Thee Walkin' Jacks...from their brand new online download, Drop Dead. Members of Liquid Vapours crank out some similar sounding trash rock'n'roll...from the east coast of Canada, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia.

9. Tom Jones....Jezebel...from a 7" on Third Man Records. Jeb Bond of The Evil Farm Children was ranting about Tom Jones awhile back, checked out some of his recent material and found out Jeb was right!! Tom Jones has released some pretty cool tunes recently!! Betcha never thought you'd hear Tom Jones on Radio What Wave! Or The Bee Gee's for that matter!! Blame Jeb!!

10. Terror Lake...Freehold...from the Haggard Beast Toronto comp that came out a few years back. Terror Lake are in town at The Black Shire Pub this saturday along with locals Psycho Daisies (Jack Whiteside of Uranus' latest combo) and Space Slave.

11. Terror Lake...Double Cross of Maxwell Pine....as above.

12. Flamin' Groovies...Move It... from their Now LP from 1978 and goes out to Rockin' Jack Whiteside as he used to play this tune in Uranus.

13. Bloodshot Bill...Cool Breeze...from a brand new 7" on Transistor 66 Records outta Winnipeg. played a little BB Radio ad right after this song. Below is BB at The Victoria Tavern here in sleepy London Ontario and someone's ass is catching Bill's attention!

14. The Phantom....Love Me...from the Lux Lives! download and Lux yammers excitedly about how great The Phantom is prior to the song starting.

15. Orie Hitt Machine...Killer Inside Me....crazy psycho shit from sleepy London Ontario!

16. Boy From Nowhere...Borderline...live at The Brunswick Tavern in beautiful downtown London Ontario...recorded sometime around 1990 and is a carryover from our all live show last week. The Boy From Nowhere always knew how to rock and this here's the proof as they cover a DMZ tune. And speaking of DMZ, the band they morphed into, The Lyres hit Hamilton next weekend and the Boy From Nowhere's bass player will be playing bass for The Lyres. Below is bassist Brian Young borrowing my Vox Constellation IV for a gig at The Langarth Bar and Grill here in sleepy London in 1987.

17. The Troggs...Summertime...from a 7" and a bit of self indulgence for The Troggs who never get played on CHRW.

18. The Troggs...From Home...the flipside of Wild Thing.

19. The Troggs...I Can't Control Myself...now that I've played a set of Troggs i'm feeling much better. I'm gonna start trying to do this every show or 2, feature a band who never gets any airplay on this station, just for fun.

20. Living Deadbeats...Evil Hearted Blues...from their almost released 12"...LD will be in London for 2 shows in July and we'll be plugging them lots prior to...

21. T.H.E. ...Grilled Cheese....mystery band who mailed me a 3 song demo, hand written song titles and very little other info. We've sent the paperwork out to the local CSI who refuse to tell us anything other than this combo will be opening up for The Living Deadbeats London shows in July....and they say you should check them out!

22. The Chickens...Heart That Bleeds....from the Bring It On CD and a special request for regular listener Mike Burton who lost a friend to a car accident recently.

23. The Chickens...Summertime...from the Prepare to Plug In CD....a 4 shot of The Chickens for Mike. For those that don't know, The Chickens featured 4 members of UIC, the coolest band to ever come out of Exeter Ontario. UIC formed around 1980 and used to play London Ontario fairly regularly before moving on to Toronto and releasing several records and CD's....and their might just be another one coming out later this year.

24. The Chickens...Submarine Driver...from the Bring It On CD.

25. The Chickens...Super Bee...from the Prepare To Plug In CD. The Chickens used to make me dance my ass off! Everytime we saw them! Sadly,they packed it in about 5 or 6 years ago.

26. The Smoggers...Shame On You...brand new single from these Spanish garagepunkers...

Outta time, but certainly not outta tunes as we'll play even more new stuff on next week's Radio What Wave. Thanks for all the phone-ins, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!

Here's a link to the podcasts that are up for one week only:

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1800.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1830.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3

• May 25, 2012 4:48 PM CDT
    • I recently met the producer of a series of documentaries on the Akron Ohio garage punk scene, which has inspired me to re-start my documentary project on the Twin Cities Punk scene! Stay tuned...

• May 25, 2012 3:37 PM CDT
    • Download or stream the entire May 25 show right here.

Satisfied &Lazy – Mark Sultan
      I’m a Lover, Not a Fighter – Lazy Lester
      I’m Just Too Lazy – Farmer Boys
      Lazy Guy – Slobberbone

Crazy Date – T. Tex Edwards
      Work that Sucker – The Bo-Keys
      I Thank God – Andre Williams & the Sadies
      Cinderblocks – catl

Hall of Mirrors – Cheap Time
      Our Strange Powers of Speech – The Spartan Dregs
      Blue Angel – Roy & The Devil’s Motorcycle
      Eyes – El Pathos
      Dung Beetle Rolls Again – Billy Childish & Sexton Ming

Crocodile Chomp – Thee Vicars
      J’ai Toujours Raison – Les Playboys
      Sugar Shake Shimmy – The Meltdowns
      What You Deserve – Thee Witch Hazel Martinis

Local Lunchbox
      Interview with Die Kreuzen

Looking at You – The Last
      This Strange Effect – The Bon
      As Nightmares Turn to Dreams – Paul Messis & Jessica Winter
      Things That Shine & Glow – Trolley
      Nice Guys Finish Last – The Electric Mess

Come Toobin – Mean Jeans
      We Got to Get Out of Here – Gentleman Jesse
      V is for Vulture – Hollows
      Sit Right Down – The Resonars

My Last Mistake – The Phantom Keys
      I Hate the Way You Make Me Feel – Vicky & The Vengents
      Slow Down – Dave & the Stonehearts
      Pictures of Her Demise – The Paperhead
      Naughty Girl – The Showmen

I Will Change Your Mind – The Wrong Words
      Born to Lose – Baby Woodrose
      Always Looking for Something – Sonic Avenues
      Chest Crawl – Guantanamo Baywatch
      Black Rainbow – King Louie’s Missing Monuments

Dakota – Million Sellers
      Too Tall – Midnight Reruns
      That Girl – The Go Wows
      Yeah, Yeah – The Connection
      My Danger – Shake Appeal
      Mine All the Time – Brat Farrar

• May 25, 2012 3:35 PM CDT
    • Yeah, I have some Planet Pimp stuff. That's a great tribute site!

That actually reminded me of another defunct label that I miss a whole lot... this one's not as old (from the early '00s), but Boom Boom of Renton has been gone for several years now, too. Damn. There's no tribute site for Boom Boom, but there is this, for what it's worth.

TeenFink said:

holy crap! how did i forget about PLANET PIMP??!?!

*gulp*

let's all lookit this now: http://planetpimp.robertgomez.org/index.html

• May 25, 2012 2:51 PM CDT
    • Oh, sorry, I misread your blurb about that...

• May 25, 2012 2:48 PM CDT
    • Nope, it's defunct.

• May 25, 2012 2:46 PM CDT
    • Wait a minute, is Talkin' Trash back on KDHX again now, too?

• May 25, 2012 2:07 PM CDT
    • Thanks Michael! Glad ya dig it!

• May 25, 2012 1:45 PM CDT
    • Cheap Thrills, my favourite of the lot

• May 25, 2012 2:15 PM CDT
    • I don't think anybody expects him to "sound more like garagepunk." The problem with Bruce's music is it's rock without the roll.

The Ungodly 77s said:

Yeah, I've always felt that if he just got rid of the E Street Band, and stripped the sound down, his tunes would sound way better. E Street Band is talented and all, but way way too much. 

He is a good songwriter, good storyteller, but I guess we just want him to sound more like garagepunk, right?

• May 25, 2012 2:02 PM CDT
    • Yeah, I've always felt that if he just got rid of the E Street Band, and stripped the sound down, his tunes would sound way better. E Street Band is talented and all, but way way too much. 

He is a good songwriter, good storyteller, but I guess we just want him to sound more like garagepunk, right?

• May 25, 2012 1:41 PM CDT
    • LOL!!!  I do like Springsteen, but I have to admit, that is a very funny (and sadly accurate) observation about his later material, starting with "Born in the USA."

todd a williams said:

I'm no bruce fan; I am sure he has a great record collection and digs great records-he has made it clear in interviews i've read that he's a big fan of suicide....a band that is clearly not for everyone. 

the odd thing is that bruce springsteen is, to my ears, america's number one synth-pop band!  he's got 4 guitars in the band, sax, bass, drums, yet the synth is always way way up in the mix!! where are the goddamn guitars!

bruce springsteen; the working man's depache mode!