Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• May 31, 2012 6:48 PM CDT
    • Oh yes, it is true -- this woman loves Roky Erikson's music, past and present --

John Battles said:

What about the girls? Women love them some Roky , too . That is a great collection , and you NEED THIS AND THE "APRIL FOOLS DAY " INTERVIEW (FEATURED , IN FULL, ON "LIVE AT THE RITZ , 1987.".).

Alexander said:

YEBO,the one you need is:ROKY ERICKSON AND THE ALIENS-THE EVIL ONE(plus one) as the cd version,because it has the "modern humans radio show" as bonus cd.

This CD is a Roky`s best-and every good man should have something of his musical output!!

• May 30, 2012 3:47 PM CDT
    • ANYTHING by The Treniers.

• May 31, 2012 3:32 PM CDT
    • We have band members ranging from 22 to 60 years old.

• May 31, 2012 1:15 PM CDT
    • Don't think it's killing music at all. We somehow have fans in 20 Countries around the world through facebook. Kind of weird, but really cool!  Now... we don't get a lot out of promoting on facebook. We generally get more "likes" after we play a show than just people finding us randomly via facebook. I don't think the site is a good place to find bands unless you have already heard of them. Aside from that it's ok for networking with other bands and finding some gigs here and there, but even then that is with people and bands we already know.

My .02¢ - Rev. Dr. Doomtone

• May 31, 2012 12:58 PM CDT
    • I think we'll start seeing more of this type of stuff there, in a desperate attempt to 'increase revenue'.

• May 31, 2012 10:35 AM CDT
    • Check this shit out...

I was just on our Facebook page posting about the new episode of Sounds Like Crime when I noticed a little drop-down menu at the bottom of the post that said "Promote." "What's this?" I asked myself. Come to find out it's some new money-making scheme by Facebook to charge people with pages for EACH wall post they make (which has apparently been in place now for a month but I didn't know it). The GaragePunk.com Facebook page has 11,924 likes, which means if I want to post an update there now that will be seen by all of our fans, it'll cost me $50. Yes, FIFTY BUCKS per post to ensure that it reaches all 11,924 folks who like the page. If you don't pay for this new "Page Post Promotion" each post will only be seen by 10-20% of your likers. So in effect, Facebook has just killed off 80-90% of our Facebook promotional reach. Facebook claims that nothing has changed about how posts are shared with the people who like your page, but I have noticed that since this change has taken effect, our post likes and comments are down considerably, so I'm a bit skeptical of that claim.

I don't think I need to remind ANYONE how rich this Mark Zuckerberg asshat is (and if you've seen The Social Network, you know he's an asshat), so it really surprises me that they'd pull something like this in an effort to make even more money. Unbelievable.

Ditch Farcebook. Use the Hideout.

/rant

• May 31, 2012 1:00 PM CDT
    • Hi! We're a band from Indianapolis started by two friends while drinking and watching the movie "Midnight Madness". Eddie Deezen plays the leader of a nerd scooter gang in the movie. Being fans of Eddie's other work as well (in addition to being a little bit nerdy ourselves), we decided to name the band DEEZEN. We actually have Eddie Deezen's blessings upon our band name and pen pal with Eddie about what the band is doing, ect. We love the garage, rock and roll, and early punk sounds of the 60's, 70's, and early 80's. We play originals and a few covers here and there of songs we like by the Sonics, the Pagans, the Cramps, the Kinks, Link Wray, Saucers, and so on. Glad to be part of a community of like minded people. We have a recording on our profile page if you want to check it out!

Cheers! - Rev. Dr. Doomtone of DEEZEN

• May 31, 2012 11:29 AM CDT
    • Also, the Kissettes's back band is the Nomads.  "The Kissettes A' Go-Go" is a pretty good single. (but it's pricey now!!!)

And Robert Johnson And Punchdrunks is(was) a rockin' inst band.  They have some good tunes!

John Battles said:

You're right. The Nomads did a single , included in Next Big Thing Magazine , in the Late 80's , as The Screaming Dizbusters. Of course , they covered "Next Big Thing" . "Yeh , I knocked 'em dead in Dallas. They did'nt know we were Swedes.".

kopper said:

Aren't the Screaming Dizbusters actually the Nomads? Thought I read that somewhere before (never heard 'em, though)...

whatwave dave said:

Here's a few more......The Creeps (1st 2 LP's only), Union Carbide Productions, Backdoor Men, Wilmer X, Shoutless, Wayward Souls, Bottle Ups, Cornflake Zoo, Livingstones, HighSpeed V, Screaming Dizbusters...and there's lots more.

• May 31, 2012 9:10 AM CDT
    • Wow, I totally forgot about the Manikins. Agreed. Great band!

• May 31, 2012 7:57 AM CDT
    • The Manikins, 1st album is really good. later stuff is pretty much the same as the hives

• May 31, 2012 7:36 AM CDT
    • Thee Gravemen - good trashy two-man band.

• May 31, 2012 7:16 AM CDT
    • Can't talk Swedish garage without mentioning The Hellacopters and The Hives.

• May 30, 2012 4:00 PM CDT
    • Always good to hear Dungen... heard them on BBC Radio 6 today - 'Gjort Bort Sig', on Stuart Maconie's Freakzone and then later (not so freaky though!) Life On Earth! 'Summer Lover' on the Lauren Laverne Show.  On the subject of Swedish psych, there's a good article / interview with The Nomads in the latest issue of Vive Le Rock! magazine, and whilst I'm at it, I'll get some gratuitous self-plugging in, check out the 'Everythang's Groovy Baby!' grebo article - also in the same issue!

• May 30, 2012 3:45 PM CDT
    • You're right. The Nomads did a single , included in Next Big Thing Magazine , in the Late 80's , as The Screaming Dizbusters. Of course , they covered "Next Big Thing" . "Yeh , I knocked 'em dead in Dallas. They did'nt know we were Swedes.".

kopper said:

Aren't the Screaming Dizbusters actually the Nomads? Thought I read that somewhere before (never heard 'em, though)...

whatwave dave said:

Here's a few more......The Creeps (1st 2 LP's only), Union Carbide Productions, Backdoor Men, Wilmer X, Shoutless, Wayward Souls, Bottle Ups, Cornflake Zoo, Livingstones, HighSpeed V, Screaming Dizbusters...and there's lots more.

• May 30, 2012 2:54 PM CDT
    • yesssa!! thanks a lot!!! go on!

• May 31, 2012 10:50 AM CDT
    • That's the spirit!

• May 31, 2012 10:17 AM CDT
    • "The Young Animals" "The Cycle Savages" (I think.) - The Orphan Egg. Insanely underrated Garage -Psych band that released one great album.They reformed , recently , and are on You Tube. I don't know how many original members are involved , but , if ya likes screamin' guitars.....

• May 31, 2012 9:42 AM CDT
    • Like most bands I like, the first recordings are the best and the early German, leather clad Beatles were great as they ripped off American rock-n-roll just as the first few Stones records were brilliant as they ripped off American blues and rock-n-roll.  The issue for me stems from the later recordings of both bands.  Not a fan of anything after Some Girls or Revolver, but i'm a snob.  The Stones remind me of a really successful athlete who stays around past his prime and embarrasses him/herself as their skills diminish.  Thankfully Yoko came and broke up the Beatles before they became Wings. 

• May 30, 2012 6:18 PM CDT
    • I missed it. Heard it was good....Surely it's on You Tube , tho'. Jeff Beck auditioned for The Stones , after Mick Taylor quit. I don't think he wanted to be in The Stones. He probably went in , just to humor them. Apparently there was a row. Imagine ! There's one track from that session that's pretty good. 

Alison said:

Did you guys see Jagger on Saturday Night Live last weekend?  He played a with the Foo Fighters and Arcade Fire and sang a silly song with Jeff Beck on guitar.  Pretty entertaining.

• May 30, 2012 11:52 PM CDT
    • Pulled double duty for the final time (for a while at least) filling in for the Folk/Blues show and my radio program Revolution Rock. 

Download Revolution Blues (Some Folks Get The Blues Fill-In) here:
      http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/536-Some_Folks_Get_The_Blues-20120529-0900-t1338278400.mp3

Download Revolution Rock here:

http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20120529-1030-t1338283800.mp3

Check out this weeks blog post on the Punk/Power Pop single Danger Love by The Vice Creems produced by Mick Jones of The Clash: 
      http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2012/05/vice-creems-danger-love-show-406.html

The play list(s):

Revolution Blues

1.  Tim Harden – Black Sheep Boy
      2.  Dan Vacon – My Scene’s Better Than Your Scene
      3.  Sumner Brothers – Big Rock Candy Mountain
      4.  Ray Condo & The Hard Rock Goners – Rock Island Line
      5.  Stingin’ Hornets – Hornet Hive Hop
      6.  Billy Childs - Call Me Shorty
      7.  Bobby Allen – Mean Woman Blues
      8.  Bloodshot Bill – Rattle My Brain
      9. Henry Priestman - Did I Fight The Punk Wars For This?
      10. Kris Kristofferson – Quinn The Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn)
      11. Jack White – Blunderbuss
      12. Buster Brown – Doctor Brown
      13. Peppermint Harris – Wait Until It Happens To You
      14. Wilbert Harrison – Kansas City
      15. Chuck Berry – Things I Used To Do
      16. The Ten Commandments – Not True
      17. Reigning Sound – Watching My Baby
      18. Ry Cooder – El Corrido De Jesse James
      19. The Smiths – Please Please Let Me Get What I Want
      20. Ed Kuepper – Car Headlights
      21. Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros – The Long Shadow
      22. Matthew Barber - Got That Lonesome Feeling On My Mind