Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• June 4, 2012 3:03 PM CDT
    • "Too Tough To Die" is my favorite Ramones album , full stop. The same crust as the first three , plus considerably evolved songwriting , and Joey really coming into his own as a singer , making Nick Cave sound like Morrissey , especially on the opener "Mama's Boy" . That was the first song to truly scare the shit out of me since "Beautiful Gardens" by The Cramps....."I Can't Get You Out of My Mind" , was'nt that on "Halfway To Sanity"? I'd have to look it up. But "This Business...." is one of many enjoyably strange toons on "Pleasant Dreams"....My favorite is probably "All is Quiet on The Eastern Front" or "You Did'nt Mean Anything To Me"( All this angst , and then..."We came across a miracle , there was beer in the soda machine"!.).
      SMF said:

SMF said:
      Too Tough to Die. Chock full of great tunes. Planet Earth 1988 may be the only Ramones song (other than cover songs) that ends in a minor chord!

I also love I Can't Get You Out Of My Mind and This Business is Killing Me off of Pleasant Dreams.

And how about their version of Happy Birthday played for Mr. Burns on the Simpsons...

EDIT DUE TO MY FAULTY BRAIN:

The song ending in a minor chord is I'm Not Afraid of Life... not Planet Earth 1988.
      Oops.

Whew, I'm glad I cleared that up!

• June 4, 2012 2:53 PM CDT
    •  I , personally , can't make it thru all of that album , BUT , I never traded it back in. I like "Poor Little Rich Girl', "The Crusher" and "Baby Doll" (Not  to be mistaken for the Neil Diamond - riff rocker Dee Dee wrote for The Chesterfield Kings.) is a beautiful love song."Funky Man" , now THAT's fucking hilarious ! Drop what you'r doing , and watch the video on You Tube !
      Scotty C. said:

Even Dee Dee's crappy rap album is a riot to listen to!

• June 4, 2012 11:35 AM CDT

• SMF said:

Too Tough to Die. Chock full of great tunes. Planet Earth 1988 may be the only Ramones song (other than cover songs) that ends in a minor chord!

I also love I Can't Get You Out Of My Mind and This Business is Killing Me off of Pleasant Dreams.

And how about their version of Happy Birthday played for Mr. Burns on the Simpsons...
      EDIT DUE TO MY FAULTY BRAIN: The song ending in a minor chord is I'm Not Afraid of Life... not Planet Earth 1988. Oops. Whew, I'm glad I cleared that up!

• June 4, 2012 10:35 AM CDT
    • Yeah, I friggin' LOVE that album. Party favorite!

Scotty C. said:

Even Dee Dee's crappy rap album is a riot to listen to!

• June 4, 2012 10:17 AM CDT
    • Try telling this to Michael Kastelic of the Cynics:)  As far as he's concerned, those first three albums were the only good ones because Tommy was both the band's drummer and producer at the time.

Speaking for myself, I've heard some great tracks from the later albums on the UG, but I've just never gotten around to checking them out.  I especially like "7-11," "Go Lil' Camaro Go," "A Real Cool Time," and "Bonzo Goes to Bitburg."  The only later album I have is "End of the Century,"  and "Danny Says" is my favorite track from that album.

• June 4, 2012 9:43 AM CDT
    • Too Tough to Die. Chock full of great tunes. Planet Earth 1988 may be the only Ramones song (other than cover songs) that ends in a minor chord!

• June 4, 2012 8:37 AM CDT
    • Even Dee Dee's crappy rap album is a riot to listen to!

• June 4, 2012 6:35 AM CDT
    • End of the Century and Subterranean Jungle!

• June 4, 2012 2:37 PM CDT
    • the dRIVIN bEATS

• June 4, 2012 1:29 PM CDT
    • I thought it was for the last volume. The track "Puppy Dog".
      I'll have a dig around and see what else we have that would be a suitable contender.

Thanks! :)

kopper said:

No, they don't need to be resubmitted. I keep them all on file. Although if it's been a few volumes since you submitted, there's not a good chance it'll get used. If that's the case, you're welcome to submit another song.

Derek Kosky said:

Kopper,

Do tracks submitted for the previous comp get considered for the next one, or do they need to be resubmitted?

• June 4, 2012 1:02 PM CDT
    • No, they don't need to be resubmitted. I keep them all on file. Although if it's been a few volumes since you submitted, there's not a good chance it'll get used. If that's the case, you're welcome to submit another song.

Derek Kosky said:

Kopper,

Do tracks submitted for the previous comp get considered for the next one, or do they need to be resubmitted?

• June 4, 2012 12:54 PM CDT
    • Kopper,

• June 4, 2012 12:51 PM CDT
    • We'll keep you in mind for Vol. 10... currently have artists lined up for the next two.

Stephen Blickenstaff said:

I'd love to do some artwork for the Hideout Comp series.

• June 4, 2012 12:04 PM CDT
    • I'd love to do some artwork for the Hideout Comp series.

• June 4, 2012 12:53 PM CDT

• Shame, I'd like to see it.
      MikeL said:

Afraid not:(.

Chris Henniker said:

Did you get any shots of it? I couldn't get any for copyright reasons.

MikeL said:

Since you mention this, I saw Lou Reed's costume from his "Transformer" days at the Hard Rock Cafe in NYC during my last trip back in January.  I'll admit it's nothing all that spectacular, but it was still cool to see.

Chris Henniker said:

The other day, I was exploring London and ended up at the V&A In Kensington. I coughed up £12 to go to the exhibition on British design from 1948-2012 and I even got to see the costumes of David Bowie, Brian Ferry & Brian Eno.  The workmanship is incredible on each of them and they still looked amazing, even today.

I also got to see the Factory Records early stuff there, which looks awesome today.  

Talking of hair metal, were there any bands who mixed it with 60's psychedelia, or power pop,  noise rock, punk or R&B?  

• June 4, 2012 12:21 PM CDT
    • I love Hanoi Rocks myself:)

The Fnords said:

For the hair metal /glam /punk /surf /etc. mix, might I suggest Hanoi Rocks?

D.

• June 4, 2012 12:14 PM CDT
    • For the hair metal /glam /punk /surf /etc. mix, might I suggest Hanoi Rocks?

D.

• June 4, 2012 11:30 AM CDT
    • Afraid not:(.

Chris Henniker said:

Did you get any shots of it? I couldn't get any for copyright reasons.

MikeL said:

Since you mention this, I saw Lou Reed's costume from his "Transformer" days at the Hard Rock Cafe in NYC during my last trip back in January.  I'll admit it's nothing all that spectacular, but it was still cool to see.

Chris Henniker said:

The other day, I was exploring London and ended up at the V&A In Kensington. I coughed up £12 to go to the exhibition on British design from 1948-2012 and I even got to see the costumes of David Bowie, Brian Ferry & Brian Eno.  The workmanship is incredible on each of them and they still looked amazing, even today.

I also got to see the Factory Records early stuff there, which looks awesome today.  

Talking of hair metal, were there any bands who mixed it with 60's psychedelia, or power pop,  noise rock, punk or R&B?  

• June 4, 2012 11:02 AM CDT
    • Did you get any shots of it? I couldn't get any for copyright reasons.

MikeL said:

Chris Henniker said:

• June 4, 2012 10:20 AM CDT
    • Since you mention this, I saw Lou Reed's costume from his "Transformer" days at the Hard Rock Cafe in NYC during my last trip back in January.  I'll admit it's nothing all that spectacular, but it was still cool to see.

Chris Henniker said:

• June 4, 2012 10:38 AM CDT
    • got it.

working on it.

thanx man!!

kopper said:

Why don't you set up a blog for your Fuzzcast so people can subscribe? That's sorta the point of doing a podcast, ya know.  ;)

Otherwise they're just static audio files that people have to download the hard way.

• June 4, 2012 10:34 AM CDT
    • Why don't you set up a blog for your Fuzzcast so people can subscribe? That's sorta the point of doing a podcast, ya know.  ;)

Otherwise they're just static audio files that people have to download the hard way.

• June 4, 2012 10:33 AM CDT
    • The Trip!  June 3rd Show!  Listen!  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20120603-0030-t1338679800.mp3

LAURIE JOHNSON  THE AVENGERS THEME 

RAY HARRIS  COME ON LITTLE MAMA 
      THE UNQUIET DEAD  HOLY ONE 
      LEAGUE OF NOTIONS  JAR FOOD MAN 
      SUZI CHUNK  LOOK BACK AND LAUGH 
      JACK HAMMER  THE WIGGLE 
      THE A-BONES  HEKAWI 
      NICK CURRAN & THE NITELIFES  SHOT DOWN 
      DAVID BOWIE  ROSAYLN 
      THE FABS  THAT'S THE BAG I'M IN 
      THE JACKETS  WASTING MY TIME 
      DUNGEN  DUE FOR FIN FOR MIG 
      SPECTRUM  ANTENNAE 
      SPACEMEN 3 TRANSPARENT RADIATION 
      IGGY POP  THE ENDLESS SEA 
      CHUCK VIOLENCE & HIS ONE MAN BAND  JUST BECAUSE OF YOU 
      COMPULSIVE GAMBLERS  ROCK AND ROCK NURSE 
      KING KHAN AND THE SHRINES  I SEE LIGHTS 
      DEKE DICKERSON WHERE AM I GOING? 

• June 4, 2012 6:00 AM CDT
    • Sleazy,

How about a link?

sleazy said:

Well, if we're talking about single femme bands, Australia's OWN sex dolls can't be beat for TALENT in garage music:):):)!!