Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 17, 2012 4:13 PM CDT
    • I often try to look up a band only to find that they just have facebook page and no website.  I then get frustrated because these band facebook pages usually don't have any music on them or even links to music, and have very little information about the band.  It completely bewilders me.  Social networking is great, but all bands should have a user friendly website with music, bio, discography with purchase links, and tour dates.

• April 17, 2012 2:40 PM CDT
    • Definately, I find it hard to believe that anyone could suggest these days that anything is killing music. Music is being made and shared now more than ever before in history. I was always dissapointed that Myspace (crap site now) wasn't around like 2 or 3 years earlier than it was because at the time I had nowhere to go to find out where gigs were happening in my boring, leafy suburbs.

I had no big brother to get me into good music and it's all thanks to the internet that I'm able to expand my music tastes without spending all my pocket money.

The only people who should be upset about the internet are those fat cats on major labels, which is why the governments are trying to clamp down on the usage.

Mole said:

Definitely not killing music as far as I'm aware - but is ANYTHING killing music? If you bypass the dross that passes for music on most daytime radio shows (I'm talking UK specifically here) and ignore pretty much anything on 'normal' TV [esp. those 'talent' shows - Jesus, what a total scam], there's an extremely healthy underground scene. As Kopper mentions, the DIY thing is probably easier now than ever before, and in my experience and opinion, social networking sites [just like this one RIGHT HERE!!!] slot perfectly into that approach. As our man says, you don't NEED labels/promoters etc to be able to put out your own music - what you need is BELIEF.

• April 17, 2012 12:49 PM CDT
    • Definitely not killing music as far as I'm aware - but is ANYTHING killing music? If you bypass the dross that passes for music on most daytime radio shows (I'm talking UK specifically here) and ignore pretty much anything on 'normal' TV [esp. those 'talent' shows - Jesus, what a total scam], there's an extremely healthy underground scene. As Kopper mentions, the DIY thing is probably easier now than ever before, and in my experience and opinion, social networking sites [just like this one RIGHT HERE!!!] slot perfectly into that approach. As our man says, you don't NEED labels/promoters etc to be able to put out your own music - what you need is BELIEF.

• April 17, 2012 10:17 AM CDT
    • thanks for the info - espiciallly the part about sending over just the bands own website - never thought of that before

kopper said:

I would also argue that it's because of this new social-networking craze that makes it even less important to be on a label. The DIY ethic is a helluva lot easier in 2012 than it was 20 years ago when you HAD to rely on labels, flyering, and getting reviews or interviews in printed 'zines. People are now in control of and have all the tools they need right at their fingertips to do all of their own marketing and promotion.

That said, any band in 2012 should still have their own website, first and foremost. Don't put all of your eggs in just one basket (i.e., Facebook or MySpace). Buy a domain name for your band and set up a blog there. Then connect it with your social networking sites... Facebook, Twitter, Bandcamp, LastFm, Hideout page, etc. I didn't list MySpace because I don't even waste my time on that crappy site anymore. Then instead of linking to your Facebook page and being overly worried or concerned that you don't have enough "Likes" on it or whatever, just link to your band's personal website. The important thing is that you have all the goods there that booking agents will need in order to book your band, such as music (a no-brainer), videos, a bio, etc. I would personally NEVER send any label or promoter a link to my band's Facebook page. Let them find that on their own AFTER they visit your site.

• April 17, 2012 9:35 AM CDT
    • I would also argue that it's because of this new social-networking craze that makes it even less important to be on a label. The DIY ethic is a helluva lot easier in 2012 than it was 20 years ago when you HAD to rely on labels, flyering, and getting reviews or interviews in printed 'zines. People are now in control of and have all the tools they need right at their fingertips to do all of their own marketing and promotion.

That said, any band in 2012 should still have their own website, first and foremost. Don't put all of your eggs in just one basket (i.e., Facebook or MySpace). Buy a domain name for your band and set up a blog there. Then connect it with your social networking sites... Facebook, Twitter, Bandcamp, LastFm, Hideout page, etc. I didn't list MySpace because I don't even waste my time on that crappy site anymore. Then instead of linking to your Facebook page and being overly worried or concerned that you don't have enough "Likes" on it or whatever, just link to your band's personal website. The important thing is that you have all the goods there that booking agents will need in order to book your band, such as music (a no-brainer), videos, a bio, etc. I would personally NEVER send any label or promoter a link to my band's Facebook page. Let them find that on their own AFTER they visit your site.

• April 17, 2012 8:40 AM CDT
    • Honestly, I only go to Facebook after I have heard the band.  I don't really rely on Facebook as a tool to market or gain followers for my podcast, but as a means of disseminating information and stuff for people already following. Facebook doesn't attract bands like Myspace used to, it is designed really to sell itself. DO you want to be on a label that is worried about Facebook likes?  

• April 17, 2012 8:38 AM CDT
    • I dunno man, speaking as a guy who is constantly looking for coverage in a different but similar field, I'd say that social media like facebook and twitter are welcome additions to the tools in my marketing kit, even if I don't have thousands of "likes" on facebook or followers on twitter.  

I think it's more about the content of what you throw out on those sites than the sheer number of fans you can claim.

• April 17, 2012 8:11 AM CDT
    • by taken seriously i mean that for record labels to really be interested and also good venues do you need to have lots of facebook likes - to prove that you can pack out venues sell records etc,,,

personally I think it helps alot. either way this is not meant as a complaint full stop I posted it to see if other people experienced this as well

• April 17, 2012 8:02 AM CDT
    • What do you mean by "taken seriously"? Are you having problems getting booked because you don't have enough Facebook fans or something? What's the root of your complaint?

• April 17, 2012 7:50 AM CDT
    • i feel stupid even writing it but it seems to me that unless you're popular on facebook it is really hard to be taken seriously......come on!

• April 17, 2012 4:13 PM CDT
    • Funhouse isnt 'garage'.It's Punk.

• April 17, 2012 4:04 PM CDT
    • The Stooges - Funhouse is the greatest album ever made. Does that count? if not I'll go with The Oblivians - Soul Food or The Monks Black Monk Time.

• April 17, 2012 2:53 PM CDT
    • 'I'm all for peace an love mate, If only i could do something about these fucking mood swings' Overheard on a bus home yesterday. Cannae say more punk than that!

• April 17, 2012 2:47 PM CDT
    • My favourite punk quote was said to myself during work today.

"The New York Dolls - nothing but a vaudeville 12 bar blues bar band"

"There was no-one wearing hippy love beads in the summer of hate - 1966" ... Bob Landfield,friend, genius garage collector and true punk.

In regards to hip hop, Bob again comes up with the goods.

"...as bizarre as it sounds, this ``music" has been as destructive and corrosive as any American societal trend in my lifetime"

• April 17, 2012 1:21 PM CDT
    • Well said!!! He is the Drunk Werewolf of Woodstock after all!!!!!

John Battles said:

" If you say Punk is not Rock 'n' Roll ,  well , that's wrong. And , if you say Punk is not a form of Rock'n'Roll , well , that's wrong. Punk , to me , is the art of cramming into one second what it used to take all night for us to do. When The Elevators would play with , say , The Conqueroo , at the end of the show, when we'd both played our sets , you HAD to jam. Don't even think of what kind of Hell they'd raise if you did'nt jam.".

"I like The Sex Pistols , sure. They remind me a lot of Fiorello La Guardia. My favorite Sex Pistols song? Hmmmmm. I have it. The First Sex Pistols Song I ever heard? I guess "Hot Cars".

"Somebody sent me a Talking Heads tape.   It's hard to listen to !". 

Roky Erickson.

• April 17, 2012 2:39 PM CDT
    • For me... Shutdown 66 is essential for any punk lowlife's record collection

The Teenage Shutdowns are also really well comped, well pressed and well informative comps, you cannot go wrong with these.

I also like the dorky and highly important comps.

Root 66

I Can Hear Raindrops

and

Class of 66 - NO FUZZ

• April 17, 2012 2:27 PM CDT
    • I once owned a Moxie box set on coloured (sorry for the UK spelling) vinyl. Sadly had to let it go to pay some bills. One of the best private pressing of trash punk ever! If you see it buy it.

• April 17, 2012 12:51 PM CDT
    • All the neato 45s that Sundazed are peddling - Chocolate Watchband, Bloos Magoos, Captain Beefheart, Byrds, Gene Clark etc. All top gear!!!

• April 17, 2012 10:49 AM CDT
    • What Neanderthals release?!?

Alex said:

Definitely looking forward to the Neanderthals, Nobunny, Little Richard, and Trouble In Mind releases.

• April 17, 2012 8:45 AM CDT
    • Our record store in RI is dying quickly and shifting to be a Hot Topic-type thing. Sucks. That said, I'm most likely looking for the same stuff (Nobunny, Dan M., Joey Ramone, McClusky)

but the Lee Scratch Perry set looks really interesting.

I am bummed because of the re-release of the pink cover Misfits Walk Among Us. It was already a Record Store Day exclusive a few years ago. 

• April 17, 2012 12:41 PM CDT
    • that age thing is really going to hold you back. especially in the states. while banquet halls are cool, the overhead on renting is pretty high. plus you have to rent your own security, insurance, and bring your own PA/Lights.  I've done my fair share and its alot more work than you think it is. 

here are some suggestions; 

talk to local book stores / record stores/skateboard shops and try to make some kind of event or fundraiser. those places love it when new people cruz into there places, and if its for a good cause, win win for everybody.

House partys. especially if you live near a college town. I am sure you know somebody that will let you party at there place, just bring the beer and the people will come.

but in all seriousness once you hit the 21 mark it gets a lot easier to get shows. just keep practicing and make your band really hard to follow.

good luck 

• April 17, 2012 9:28 AM CDT
    • I started my own company for this very reason. I'm forty four and have been floating on the fringe of the Sydney music scene since the mid eighties, so I already knew a lot of promoters, but I just started running my own shows to get gigs. It was easier. You'd ring up the booker and say "I need a night" instead of "can you slot me in?". That built up to my actually booking three rooms. Right now, I'm setting up a mini-festival of garage punk acts. Do it and have a good time. If you have any questions, it might be better to bounce off another country man, but you can ask me any time and I'll try to be helpful.

Chuckles.

• April 17, 2012 9:40 AM CDT
    • Hah!  I think the secret is out.  Mick and Keif are comic book nerds and have been trying to us so subliminally for years.

• April 17, 2012 9:11 AM CDT
    • I am waiting for that day I get to meet you in person. I'm actually thinking of a pilgrimage. 

That said, I no longer go to shows that much (as a 5am grownup job takes it out of me) and I tend to wear band shirts only on vacations or working on the lawn, but I have my buttons and I'm a pretty approachable guy, so feel free to say Hi if you ever see me buying groceries or cussing at the kids who can't pull up their damn pants. 

swt said:

Very rarely -- especially in the garage-punk realm. I remember running into an acquaintance in a parking lot wearing a Dead Moon T-shirt. I almost hugged him.

I am a hillbilly music nut and have a local radio show for that obsession, so it's a little easier to find common ground with folks with old country stars like Willie Nelson or Roger Miller. (Just don't ask me about virtually any country act played on commercial radio since about 1980.)

I do a weekly music column at my paper (the local daily). So people cone up to me all the time and say stuff like, "You're a music fan. What do you think of the new Rod Stewart album?" My first thought is usually "You don't actually read the words in my column do you?"

On the other hand, ever so often people come up and tell me I've turned them on to some good music with my column or radio shows. That's always nice.

But more often, I'm like Mark. When someone asks me what I've been listening to and I spout off names of bands I really like, even a lot of the country bands, people look at me like I'm nuts.

• April 17, 2012 7:56 AM CDT
    • Of course. Nowhere does it say you need a Facebook account. What made you think that, anyway?

SWAHILI BOB said:

is there any way to get the download without a Facebook account?

I'm a tryin to stay off the grid