Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 18, 2012 9:11 AM CDT
    • Yes, I know it's a bit tame for my usual fuzz tastes, but I am on the hunt for Buckinghams mixes in the original 45 mono mixes. Does anyone here have any of the original 45s? The mixes I've heard so far are really superior to the album mixes.

Anyone know if the recent 31-song "Singles Collection" CD for the band is in MONO? I can't find info about it anywhere...

The cheap and available "Mercy Mercy Mercy" best-of CD has some '60s stereo and some recent re-mixed stereo mixes -- the opposite of what I'm looking for, lol.

Thanks for any info, and Fuzz It!

• April 18, 2012 8:06 AM CDT
    • We still have some great record stores here in St. Louis that get a lot of support and have events planned for Record Store Day. Apop Records on Cherokee (great new & used underground punk/garage/indy/noise stuff), Vintage Vinyl on the Delmar Loop, Euclid Records in Webster Groves, and the (HUGE) Record Exchange on Hampton (which is housed in an old city library building and has an entire room full of old 45s).

• April 17, 2012 9:36 PM CDT
    • IF NOBUNNY FINALLY %$#@!!! RELEASES "(How Can I Love You , Baby) You Don't Like Rock'n'Roll"AS A SINGLE , I'LL PAY RECORD STORE DAY PRICES !

Sorry to hear about your store . It affects everybody when a record store closes , because it's an ugly trend that spreads like wildfire.....No , the ugly trend is not supporting local small business by not buying music , period.

Bibliodiscoteque said:

Our record store in RI is dying quickly and shifting to be a Hot Topic-type thing. Sucks. That said, I'm most likely looking for the same stuff (Nobunny, Dan M., Joey Ramone, McClusky)

but the Lee Scratch Perry set looks really interesting.

I am bummed because of the re-release of the pink cover Misfits Walk Among Us. It was already a Record Store Day exclusive a few years ago. 

• April 17, 2012 9:31 PM CDT
    • WHAT NEANDERTHALS RELEASE AND WHAT LITTLE RICHARD RELEASE ?!!!!

Wipeout! said:

What Neanderthals release?!?

Alex said:

Definitely looking forward to the Neanderthals, Nobunny, Little Richard, and Trouble In Mind releases.

• April 17, 2012 9:30 PM CDT
    • You're killing me ! They're doing all of those in one fell swoop? Seems like they usually have just one or two 45s for RSD. Guess I'll have to wake up before 10 , now...

Mole said:

All the neato 45s that Sundazed are peddling - Chocolate Watchband, Bloos Magoos, Captain Beefheart, Byrds, Gene Clark etc. All top gear!!!

• April 17, 2012 9:27 PM CDT
    • What Alison is talking about has already happened in many cities , and , of course , smaller towns , as well. It broke my heart , the last time I went to Dallas , and there was nothing left but a used CD store and Bill's (Which was , then , just barely located in Dallas.) . Real Records , and , perhaps some others , have turned up since then , but I NEVER take it for granted that Chicago stll has record stores , and is still turning up more record stores....Of course , many lean toward "Alternative Music" (Some of us are old enough to remember when Alternative Music WAS.) , BUT WE NEED TO GET BEHIND OUR LOCAL RECORD STORES (And the ones in places you may visit.) , BEFORE THEY GET WAY THE HELL BEHIND US !

As far as swag I hope to find , if I can even see past all the people (Easily 50 - 75% of whom never go to these stores , the rest of the year.) , I just hope to find some deals. I won't deny it.....I don't have a plan....If I thought more stores had one-offs for RSD that were more in keeping with my tastes , I guess I'd actually wake up , like , at 8:00 AM on a Saturday, to get there before they sell a whomping 20 copies and have to say they're out. ....But , that's just me. I can't make it to all the stores in one afternoon. For that you'd need a car , no speed limit , and a kickass statue of Shiva on your dashboard to ensure you can actually find parking. But ,to HAVE the stores to miss, that's not a bad thing at all.

Good luck with your Buck Owens coloring book, Alison. If I'd have even known such a thing existed , I'd have been looking  for it , too. 

• April 17, 2012 4:42 PM CDT
    • Weirdonia will be playing 2 record shops on the big day! 12PM at Dr Disc in Windsor and 4PM at Grooves in London.

As for releases? Captain beefheart.. bowie.. white stripes.. and flogging molly!

• April 18, 2012 8:01 AM CDT
    • Agreed, Mardy. The whole "like" thing is completely overblown/overrated has gone out of control. It was because Michael Kaiser's RadiOblivion podcast wasn't getting enough "likes" here on the Hideout that he decided to stop doing it and ditch the site entirely (I believe he also deleted his Facebook account, for what it's worth). He specifically told me that he stopped doing his show because not enough people here "liked" it. Amazing.

• April 18, 2012 3:54 AM CDT
    • I personally think Facebook is a rubbish place for bands, I ignore it, I think Facebook is like a blue and white version of the pox as far as band pages go. Make your own site that reflects the style of your band and use the social networking for networking.

And seriously, do you really want to do business with someone who uses the amount of 'likes' something has to influence their business decisions? Sounds stupid to me.

• April 17, 2012 4:30 PM CDT
    • I don't think it killing music by itself ;) but it's certainly helping. With all of the bad publicity that Facebook gets for aggressive business practices and all the data-mining it does, not too many cool people want anything to do with it. Speaking just for my own feelings, if anything I'm searching for gets a facebook URL, I don't even bother looking it up.

As for likes, they can be a barometer for something, but they aren't the end-all/be-all. I like to think that most punky types are fairly independent-minded.

• April 17, 2012 10:43 PM CDT
    • Sam's got a good point. Here in Australia, if you're with your parents or a responsible adult you can be in the pub until six. (maybe eight) Keep us posted on how you go. I'm keen to hear how it all pans out.

• April 17, 2012 8:27 PM CDT
    • I don't know how it works where you live, but here there are usually local music lovers who do amateur event booking/promoting... look for bands similar to you online and around in "the real world," make friends, and see how they do their booking. The best way, all around, is to network with other bands.

Also, depending on what your laws are like there, you might be able to play in bars/clubs as long as you make the gig 18-and-over, with wristbands or some other such device to keep the young'uns from drinking. Call the clubs you want to play and try to talk to whoever books the live music there.  They might be able to work something out with you.

Other than that, your idea of splitting the cost of a hall with some other bands is a time-tested tradition and a damn fine idea. Call around to different places and see what the cost is for each one, find out if you have to get insurance and/or security, and go from there.

This all seems obvious to me, so sorry if this isn't all that helpful, but hopefully it was.

• April 17, 2012 5:55 PM CDT
    • thanks for all the feedback guys, it's really appreciated.

as for the banquet halls i actually hadn't even thought about lighting or insurance. between me and my friend we've got a good PA to work with. Security was something i wasn't sure what to do about either.

as for stores: it's kinda limited here in the suburbs, a lot of the skate shops and books stores are either Vans and Barnse and Noble, i'm not exactly sure how i'd even approach them about a show.

record stores are another thing i've been looking into. There's two that i know of that might host shows.

the one place for all ages show is a pay to play venue that caters mostly to hardcore/metal bands. It's an ok place. I've been also looking for some kind civic/youth center that may allows to do shows. I've heard some colleges will let you book a theater, but i don't know how much that'd cost.

• April 17, 2012 5:08 PM CDT
    • Don't you guys have youth centres where you are? Maybe an all ages show? Before I moved to Australia, I lived in Canada and a local teenaged band use to play the high schools at lunch. Maybe your local council can help out, too?

• April 17, 2012 4:55 PM CDT
    • Scott LIVS raises a good point. Apart from sponsorship, record stores may let you do an in-store. I've done a number of them here in Sydney.

• April 17, 2012 10:14 PM CDT
    • I likethis'un , too. Did'nt see it , before. ; ) ;)

sleazy said:

lana loveland of the fuzztones:):)

• April 17, 2012 10:11 PM CDT
    • Thank you for the pic. I saw The Pandoras once , it was the "Stop Pretending" lineup.

They used modern gear , but were right on the money , musically.....Then they went "Metal"....I guess there's a few people that liked that stuff.I have yet to speak to one. I even heard a DJ take the EP "Rock Hard" off the turntable , and apologize for playing it.

sleazy said:

There aren't many really good bands that sound like the ones you mentioned...one comes to mind though...the PANDORAS:):)......anyhow, few ladies play the organ like Lana Loveland:):)!!

• April 17, 2012 8:29 PM CDT
    • Nasty Rockabilly.... not exactly garage.... but not far.

• April 17, 2012 8:06 PM CDT
    • By the way, this doesn't happen very often.

perez botella said:

It's a bit difficult for me to hang around with people with different music tastes to mine.

Anyway, I´ve made great friends and dated with some girls talking about The Buzzcocks, The Cramps, The Kinks, etc. at bars or after a gig.

Deffinitely, for me, music is quite important when having a relation, sentimental or just friendship.

• April 17, 2012 8:05 PM CDT
    • It's a bit difficult for me to hang around with people with different music tastes to mine.

Anyway, I´ve made great friends and dated with some girls talking about The Buzzcocks, The Cramps, The Kinks, etc. at bars or after a gig.

Deffinitely, for me, music is quite important when having a relation, sentimental or just friendship.

• April 17, 2012 6:55 PM CDT
    • I guess I'm just not active enough - I come here & read a lot but don't post much

• April 17, 2012 5:10 PM CDT
    • Discover new music! I am always accepting submissions from bands wanting to be featured.

LISTEN HERE:

http://www.mediazoic.com/creatures/jambone-scuzz/

APRIL 16TH PLAYLIST

Suffering - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Realpolitik -The Wilderness

Don't Know What I'm Doing - Blind Cats

Stargazer -TNG

Looking For A Kiss - New York Dolls

Stop! - Bloodshot Bill

Fistfight -Toxic Deathula

It's All About the Money These Days - JOATMM

Connected - Radio Birdman