Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 18, 2012 9:38 PM CDT
    • Hey, I wouldn't mind "going there," myself. And staying there for a while. Grace was a hottie.

Back then.

melissa scott said:

I just had to post this link of one of my faves from Bandstand. Can't get enough of the 'relaxed' stage poses. And Grace's BOOTS (yeah, I had to go there).

• April 18, 2012 9:36 PM CDT
    • Ah, I believe Top Of The Pops was the UK's answer to Bandstand! Not the other way round...

(Dick Clark's show came first.)

Rinjo Njori said:

Dick Clark was a friend of Rock N Roll. He might have been associated to the "Man", but even bands like PiL got a shot at our answer to Top of the Pops! One of the good guys even if the style wasn't always related to my pallate. 

• April 18, 2012 8:54 PM CDT
    • Thank you , James.....If only you good people could have been there with us , at this hysterical 70's dive bar/music venue , with a psychedelic lightshow and about 48 other attendees , when Blue Cheer blew the roof right off that place. I wish I had that one picture where Dickie stands towering over James.....Because James is crouched down and Dickie is standing on a chair....Maybe even a table.

James Porter said:

On Saturday mornings, I could sleep through a cartoon here, or miss a show there, but there were TWO shows I just had to watch without question when I was a kid: Soul Train and American Bandstand. Now both Don Cornelius and Dick Clark are gone. But thanks to Youtube, the clips survive!!!

Here's Mr. Clark in 1968 exposing the world to a famed hard-rock power trio from San Francisco:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKT0Kz5VGhw

I'm sure Mr. Battles will agree, since he's one of their Top Ten fans (if not Numero Uno).

• April 18, 2012 8:50 PM CDT
    • I just had to post this link of one of my faves from Bandstand. Can't get enough of the 'relaxed' stage poses. And Grace's BOOTS (yeah, I had to go there). Ahhh. The Airplane...

• April 18, 2012 8:44 PM CDT
    • That WAS a classic R'n'R TV moment , when PIL appeared on"Bandstand". Bizarro World stuff.

IF AND WHEN YOU WATCH THE GREAT BLUE CHEER CLIP ( I HAVE A DECENT COPY ON VIDEO , BUT IT'S NOT THIS GOOD.), YOU'LL NOTICE SOMEONE SAYS NOTHING EVER PHASED DICK CLARK .    NOT TRUE. DICKIE PETERSON TOLD ME THAT HE AND BLUE CHEER'S THEN -  MANAGER , GUT   (PREVIOUSLY WITH ANOTHER GROUP CALLED THE HELL'S ANGELS.) WERE BACKSTAGE DURING THIS SAME PERFORMANCE , SMOKING A BOWL OF HASH , WHEN DICK CLARK WALKED IN ON THEM. "IT'S PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT GIVE ROCK'N'ROLL A BAD NAME !!", SAID CLARK. "THANK YOU. THANK YOU VERY MUCH " , REPLIED DICKIE. IT IS IRONIC THAT CORNELIUS AND CLARK DIED WITHIN SUCH A SHORT TIME OF EACH OTHER. I'LL ADMIT , THO' , I LEANED MORE TOWARD "BANDSTAND" THAN "SOUL TRAIN "WHEN I WAS A KID (I WOULD PAY TO HAVE A COPY OF THAT  INTRO MUSIC ON A 45- WA WA WA WAA WAAAA....), THO' MY GRANDMA LOVED IT.

• April 18, 2012 8:30 PM CDT
    • Dick Clark was a friend of Rock N Roll. He might have been associated to the "Man", but even bands like PiL got a shot at our answer to Top of the Pops! One of the good guys even if the style wasn't always related to my pallate. 

• April 18, 2012 6:25 PM CDT
    • Dig that vidlink James -- awwww. THE WALL OF SOUND BEHIND 'EM.

Totally, WAKE UP, it's time for American Bandstand!

You have my attention now -- POWER TRIO, and don't they have the POWAH (B.D.J. :D).

• April 18, 2012 6:04 PM CDT
    • On Saturday mornings, I could sleep through a cartoon here, or miss a show there, but there were TWO shows I just had to watch without question when I was a kid: Soul Train and American Bandstand. Now both Don Cornelius and Dick Clark are gone. But thanks to Youtube, the clips survive!!!

Here's Mr. Clark in 1968 exposing the world to a famed hard-rock power trio from San Francisco:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKT0Kz5VGhw

I'm sure Mr. Battles will agree, since he's one of their Top Ten fans (if not Numero Uno).

• April 18, 2012 3:55 PM CDT
    • ... Alan Freed. 

What did Dick Clark mean to Garage Rock fans , anyway ? For one , he did introduce the great after - school show , "Where The Action Is" , hosted by Paul Revere and The Raiders , and most of you have seen how many great "Garage " acts appeared on the program - The Standells ,Music Machine , Five Americans , Love ,? and The Mysterians , The 13th Floor Elevators......Just because a record might have sold hundreds of thousands , if not more , copies , in 1966 , The Year Punk Broke , does'nt mean it was'nt "Punk". Early performances of the likes of Eddie Cochran , Gene Vincent and Chuck Berry still exist , too. 

Clark could have released these performances many years ago to the public , on VHS , and , later , on DVD. But , the failure of his one "Best Of" video , which was one KILLER Jerry Lee Lewis , one restrained , but very live Buddy Holly and The Crickets (Which was from Arthur Murray's show , as Clark said the only footage of Holly he had was destroyed in a fire.), and a fun Big Bopper performance short of utter hogwash Teen Idol garbage. Clark , reportedly , refused to release anything else from the vaults ,  fearing a lack of demand....HA !

Clark flourished in a business, where his predecessors , Dewey Phillips , Hoss Allen and others , remained local. Alan Freed was the patsy the industry needed. Though both men accepted payola , a VERY common practice at the time (It still must be , judging from the vile spew infecting the airwaves these 30 - plus years.), Clark was washed clean by the blood of the lamb , becoming the acceptable face and spokesman of Rock'n' Roll . Freed was the one they crucified , but , it was a slow death , languishing in poverty and obscurity. He lived to see The Twist , he lived to see The Beatles , but he never lived to reclaim  his good name. He openly loved Black music , as well as White wildmen like The Johnny Burnette Trio  , and , defied segregationists and people posing as men of God by encouraging kids of all races to get down on the floor, and have some fun together for a change.

About Clark , I won't say anything too bad (Though , you're free to rant , here.) . I've been doing that for years. There are many great moments in Rock'n'Roll that were captured on his watch , but , it appears extremely unlikely that his estate will make them available to the fans. One , in particular , when a Brownsville Station performance was abruptly cut short by a streaker who made it up on to the stage , probably has'nt even been viewed privately since it happened.

Regarding Dick Clark and MR.ROCK AND ROLL , THE MENSCH OF STEEL , ALAN FREED .

Bo Diddley : I remember Alan Freed told me about betting bricks thrown thru his winders , because he DEFIED the system.

Chuck Berry : THEE COMMUNITY TRADITON !

Bo Diddley : Then , our good friend ,Dick Clark, came in with "American Bandstand"....

Chuck: AHHHHH, But it was'nt the same.....We could'nt dance , we could'nt mingle with the audience.

Bo: Well , I think it was that the station was owned by Caucasians , who 'd forbidden him to go that far.....

Chuck: But , he was the master of ceremonies. (To Little Richard) TELL HIM MAN , TELL HIM WHY IT WAS DONE.

Little Richard : Because you were BLACK ! You was BLACK , and they did'nt want that done.THEY DID'NT WANT THOSE WHITE KIDS TO SEE NO BIG OL' GREASY BLACK GUY OUT OF ST. LOUIS , OUT OF GEORGIA , OUT OF CHICAGO. THEY WANTED THEIR KIDS TO SEE SEE SOME SMOOTH WHITE BOY , ON DUTY AND LOOKIN'...ROOTY !

I STILL SAY IT WAS A LIL' JEWISH BOY GOT IT ACROSS THE COUNTRY , WAS ALAN FREED , HE DID A GOOD JOB !

Chuck : A - men.

Richard: I LOVE YOU , ALAN , OW ! OW! ALAN !!!!!

From "Chuck Berry , Hail ! Hail ! Rock'n'Roll.".

• April 18, 2012 5:17 PM CDT
    • Scheisse! I could have had the 69th reply but it looks like Wendy did and I'm just 70!!! not literally but about 2 months to go to 40, but whats a number anyway??!!I love the site and look forward to being a part of it hopefully although I've never played an instrument but a clarinet from 4th to 6th grade and never moved up from being in beginners band 3 yrs in a row!!! I went from ,moving from D.C. to Grapevine, TX in the middle of highschool, this was more of a culture shock to me than if I would of moved to a land of hermaphroditic Tom Bosley lookalikes, but so utterly less interesting. But I was born here in the "Big D" (look at DFW on a highway map and you'll know why).speeding up, moved on to Alaska back and forth 2 summers, shimmied on over to Venice Beach and stayed just down from the circle there, wayyy tooo expensive, so came back, stayed in Austin. Put a couple of remaining brain cells together and moved to Europe to finish college so I can be in debt for the rest of my life, ;-).Living mostly in Vienna, AT for 5-6 years but had a brother in Rome, so had family there as well. I speak German and Spanish, very strange going back to speak your 2nd language (spanish) after speaking german for 3-4 years. Now Im Back in Dallas for the moment just waiting but not standing by to see what next blessing or curse comes my way. Keep on keeping on everyone!

Cheers,

Gary

• April 18, 2012 4:58 PM CDT
    • If you do it through CD Baby, it's a one time fee. At least it was last time I did it. 

kopper said:

Oh, and one more thing: The TuneCore fees for distribution of the comps to all the major online music retailers (iTunes, Amazon, eMusic, Spotify, Rhapsody, etc.) costs $50/year per volume. 

• April 18, 2012 4:26 PM CDT
    • yup, no problem

• April 18, 2012 1:09 PM CDT
    • Spot on Kopper.

Don't forget ALL members even non active, also get loads of FREE podcasts too, and all we're asking is for you to post a quick comment to let us know your out there and listening. 
      Bands are also waiting for you to interact and share their sounds with others.

Participation oils the wheels to this site, so please get involved and support Kopper and this unique site. Mr A

• April 18, 2012 12:51 PM CDT
    • Oh, and one more thing: The TuneCore fees for distribution of the comps to all the major online music retailers (iTunes, Amazon, eMusic, Spotify, Rhapsody, etc.) costs $50/year per volume. So, Ning hosting fees aside, that's an extra $350 for the first year of digital distribution for the first seven volumes right there, and that's not counting the first two volumes, which I've just spent another $100 on renewing for another year. Right now, they're selling enough to cover these distribution fees, but at some point in the future they'll stop selling all that well and I'll have to take them down. At that point I'll probably just throw in the towel and make 'em free for everybody.

• April 18, 2012 12:46 PM CDT
    • The point of the GRGPNK Records group is not to let just anybody who wants the comps have them for free. The reason it's private is so that we can control access to the free downloads. When I first came up with the idea for the comps, I wanted to just give 'em all away for free to anyone who wanted one. But some people thought that was a stupid idea; that we should sell them and use the money to help fund the site and pay for Ning's hosting fees. Others thought they should be free since the bands weren't sharing in any revenue. One of the biggest problems I noticed right away after the release of the first volume was that people started joining the Hideout specifically to get access to the free comps. Aside from that, they didn't really care about the site or being a member of a rock'n'roll community; they just wanted free music. Lame. So I knew I had to do something to fix this, and the compromise I came up with was to use the GRGPNK Records group as a private, members-only area that's used to reward those members who remain actively involved with the site (at least a few times per month)... those who visit regularly, contribute/post often, invite friends, chat, share content... you know, PARTICIPATE! That's what the Hideout is all about. Without active participation from a good chunk of people, this site would be worthless. So we're rewarding those "active members" by letting them download the comps free of charge. The rest of the people (the majority of our members) who do not actively participate will have to pay for them, but at less than $10 per volume, it's not asking a whole lot from them. So I would suggest, if you really want the comps for free, then you should start visiting more often and making more of an effort to be part of the community we've built here over the past decade. If you can't or don't want to make that effort, fine, but you'll have to pay for the comps. Again, they're cheap enough that that shouldn't really be asking too much. Make sense?

SWAHILI BOB said:

I guess I'm just not active enough - I come here & read a lot but don't post much

• April 18, 2012 3:11 PM CDT
    • what about garage punk. love that term!!!  

Ghislaine said:

Funhouse isnt 'garage'.It's Punk.

• April 18, 2012 2:22 PM CDT
    • Mondo Frat Dance Bash a go go.... AMAZING

• April 18, 2012 2:01 PM CDT
    • Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the "House of Broken Hearts" comps from the Mississippi Records tape series fucking kill.  A few songs you've heard before, but a lot of unknown gems as well.  You can also find them for free online, google it.

• April 18, 2012 1:37 PM CDT
    • We're 50 and about average in age for the audiences at the shows we go to in NYC. But hell, we'd still risk the moshers at an all ages show if we really like the bands.  A friend turning 51 is having his birthday bash at a skate park with 5 punk bands playing.  Age ain't nothing but a number.

• April 18, 2012 11:21 AM CDT
    • Never too old. You decide when to age and get old.

• April 18, 2012 11:49 AM CDT
    • For real! Check it out:

http://www.sundazed.com/shop/rsd2012.php

John Battles said:

You're killing me ! They're doing all of those in one fell swoop? Seems like they usually have just one or two 45s for RSD. Guess I'll have to wake up before 10 , now...

Mole said:

All the neato 45s that Sundazed are peddling - Chocolate Watchband, Bloos Magoos, Captain Beefheart, Byrds, Gene Clark etc. All top gear!!!

• April 18, 2012 10:05 AM CDT
    • You know, I'm glad to hear that Criminal Records has actually managed to stay in business this long.  Wasn't it about a year ago that a bunch of press outlets reported that they were going out of biz?

That said...  and speaking as a former record store owner... I think Record Store Day has become kinda flawed.  The basic idea that there should be an appreciation day for these great local shops is a good one, but right now its primarily focused on the RSD specific goodies as the impetus for getting folks into the shop.  The good record stores for that day have become synonymous with the ones that can lay their hands on the most goodies.  (To be subsequently run up on ebay the next day to capitalize on their "scarcity.")

• April 18, 2012 10:04 AM CDT
    • Yes, Les Breastfeeders are still around. But their guitarist quit so they don't play live show these days. In Montreal there is also that new girls band called Hand Cream. They are really slits/raincoats influenced. Check them out, they have potential. Also, Les Sexareenos have started to do shows again, so that's kind of amazing. Everybody Sexareeeeeeeeeeeno!

Alison said:

I love Sonic Avenues and I love garage in French, like Les Breastfeeders - are they still around?