Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• March 28, 2012 4:00 PM CDT
    • Ace stuff!!!

• March 28, 2012 11:59 AM CDT
    • PORK #6 Just came out last week. Interviews with King Khan on mostly occult subjects, Guantanamo Baywatch, the No Tomorrow Boys, Ralph Bakshi, Stanley Mouse, Shawn Dickinson, Arbito & Snaggs & lots more! Comics by me, Avi Spivak, Ben Lyon, Bobby Madness & the Slow Poisoner.

• March 28, 2012 11:44 AM CDT
    • That is a Classic album for sure....my first exposure to The Nomads and this one blew me away as they were way ahead (maybe 5 years....) of so many others at the time!!!

Dead Boy said:

It's a perfect garage album to me.

• March 28, 2012 10:42 AM CDT
    • It's a perfect garage album to me.

• March 28, 2012 7:54 AM CDT
    • Anyone yet mention the best Aussie punks ever, yet?

The Missing Links - Missing Links.  How more punk can you get than 5 minutes of backwardness in thee outback that is actually listenable - "H'tuom Tuhs", first time I heard it I was convinced it was some digereedoodee Aboriginal on dream time lsd.  Like a boomerangoo I keep coming back.  Feedback, stupidness and bongoes... love it.

Honourable mention to

The Pretty Things - Get The Picture

• March 27, 2012 5:26 PM CDT
    • Wow! These are great choices.  I really don't even know if I can add any but I'll try.
      For albums mentioned but I still think they are best.
      The Sonics-Here are the Sonics
      ? and the Mysterians - 96 Tears
      The Seeds - The Seeds
      The Count Five - Psychotic Reaction
      The Cramps - Songs the Lord Taught Us
      The Cynics - Rock and Roll

For albums not mentioned:
      The Standells - Dirty Water
      The Chesterfield KIngs - Stop!
      The Mummies - Fuck CDs! It's the Mummies!
      The Mono Men - Wrecker
      The Makers - Howl
      Thee Headcoats - Headcoats Down

• March 27, 2012 7:48 AM CDT
    • kitchen cinq - everything but the kitchen cinq

• March 26, 2012 3:55 PM CDT
    • 1st Elevators album.

The Litter 'Distortions'.

Five Americans 'I See The Light'.

• March 28, 2012 10:30 AM CDT
    • Lots of great recommendations here. So I thought I would add one more. 

We were using United for a long time but recently switched everything over to Morohius Records http://www.morphius.com/ . They are located in Baltimore MD and have been really great to work with. 

They are a one stop shop. Covers, vinyl, and CDs. We have had two records done with them, HOLLYWOOD - Stunts and Cheap Freaks - Bury Them All. The quality of the records is amazing. Blows United out of the water. The Cheap Freaks records feel like they are 180 gram and we just went with the standard. They will also place any record you press with them in all the online stores at no extra cost, which is nice. 

Anyway worth checking out. 

• March 28, 2012 8:30 AM CDT
    • That's sad...some are going like flies:(

• March 27, 2012 10:29 PM CDT
    • Bik , I just found this. I have to admit , I can't remember if I heard about it , or not.

I know John's Children did'nt play lame renditions of Motown's softest moments , but , that does'nt mean they were'nt a unique outfit , even if the public may have felt they were being put on a bit. That's Pop Art , man. I did'nt know Townson replaced Moon on the road , but , of course , the band's connection to The Who speaks for itself. I'm sure Moon , Townson and Ronnie Bond are making one helluva drunken racket , right now.

• March 27, 2012 7:22 AM CDT
    • Besides ourselves? Well, my favourites are Los Franco Neros, they're pretty cool. Besides that, metal and reggae kinda took over - not bad, but also not so much my cup of tea...

• March 27, 2012 5:33 AM CDT
    • Still happening in Adelaide, South Australia - live at the Grace Emily Hotel:

Adelaide's Them Plasms

• March 28, 2012 12:56 AM CDT
    • i would recommend the sonics, the monks (if they are still around, i think the banjo player passed away)the standells, ? & the mysterians i 've seen them live and they are great!

• March 28, 2012 12:32 AM CDT
    • I have to say that the Sonics have pretty much been a blast at least live.  ? and the Mysterians were really good too in my opinion. For lesser known bands, album wise, the Alarm Clocks sound real good.  I saw a youtube with the Knight Riders of "I" fame that was real decent.  But I haven't really been privy to a lot else going on so I really can't give an opinion. But I've liked what I have heard or seen of these groups.

• March 27, 2012 10:25 PM CDT
    • The Monks, definitely! Not just the best reformed live act I've seen, but one of the best shows I've seen in my entire life.
      After that are The Remains.
      Oh, and July were pretty pretty decent this last summer. The evoked quite well the atmosphere of THE album, what is not an easy task.

• March 27, 2012 10:20 PM CDT
    • In the 80's there did'nt appear to be much interest in getting any of the original Garage, Psych or early Heavy Rock bands from The 60's back together. Many of the bands that did reform then came on like bar bands. That situation has changed in the past 20 years, tho' it can't always go as you'd want it to. Some, like most recently, The Sloths, are coming through like champs. I'll bore you, soon enough, with my opinions, but if there's anything you want to share on the subject, please do. This discussion, if it gets off the ground, is not limited to American bands, OK?

• March 27, 2012 9:23 PM CDT
    • finally got around to getting some of these! some amazing stuff on these. thanks!

The screamin' Soul Preacher said:

In the early R'n'B/ black R'n'R vein, you should probably try the SAVAGE KICK serie, full of great screamers and wailing saxes !!!

I SMELL A RAT and ROLL YOUR MONEYMAKER on Stag-O-Lee records.

BLOWIN' THROUGH YOKOHAMA on Atomic Passion.

WHIP WOBBLE & GRIND on Club Harlem.

T-BIRD PARTY on Lido.

The JERK ! BOOM ! BAM ! serie on Jerk Boom Bam records.

And of course, as you've already mentioned, every Candy records comp is worth a try.

And many many more I can't think of right now.

• March 27, 2012 4:02 PM CDT
    • Nice interviews, keep it up!

What is *your* pick for most rock and roll city?

• March 27, 2012 5:24 AM CDT
    • *laugh* re Original Disco Man (oooh yeaaaah).

What is on the lp/tape/cd shelves here? Most by one group or artist? The Stones 'natch, esp. love Between the Buttons.

This would be followed by a nice pile of indie punk compilations that I can't seem to resist, Live at The Rat (RIP) being an all-time fave. :D

James Porter said:

John, as far as Original Disco Man (whicah I don't own, BTW)...

It may have been CHEAP, but most importantly it was JAMES BROWN, so you get a pass! Ha!

• March 26, 2012 4:02 PM CDT
    • 'Introduction To The Motions' — The Motions, 1965

• March 26, 2012 3:32 PM CDT
    • IT's a GO! theme show today on the Wrekking Hours.

Tune in 4-5pm for Rockabilly songs titled w/ GO

In the Psychobilly hour it's GET! theme - so tune in for neo-rockabilly & psycho songs titled w/ Get!

Today only on WHFR radio in Detroit!!  89.3fm or online via TuneIn Radio or whfr.fm