Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• March 30, 2012 12:30 AM CDT
    • not often enough that's for damn sure.

• March 29, 2012 8:42 PM CDT
    • Outside of shows/gigs of course.

I guess we are kind of a specific group of people but I was pretty impressed today with a kid at the check out at my grocery. He had a sort of Paul Weller haircut and was wearing a Vibrators, Damned and the Jam pin on the shirt.I was like, "you got taste man" and we got in a conversation about music. It's weird that we didn't know each other but anyhow, it's reassuring to meet people who like good music.

• March 29, 2012 10:11 PM CDT
    • I learned how to sing while playing guitar using the Ramones. A song like "Rock-a-way Beach" has all the chord changes during breaks in the singing. So it allows you to do one thing at a time.

Here's the honest truth: Singing and playing guitar is like riding a bike. It takes a while to get the balance, but once you figure it out, it's easy to keep going forward.

• March 29, 2012 5:22 PM CDT

• doornail said:

Plan 9 - Dealing With The Dead

Miracle Workers - Inside Out

Michael Yonkers - Microminiature Love

Get Lost - Never Come Back

The Stairs - Mexican R & B

Acid Baby Jesus - S/T

The 13th Floor Elevator - The Psychedelic Sounds Of The 13th Floor Elevators

The Mummies - Play Their Own Records

Lyres - On Fyre

Plasticland - S/T

Pink Floyd - Pipers At The Gates Of Dawn

Spacemen 3 - Playing With Fire

Loop - Fade Out

Just Off The Top Of My Head

Ryan Hatt said:

Alright, for super current I have to throw Ty Segall into the mix.  Either his self-titled or his collaboration with Mikal Cronin Reverse Shark Attack.  Maybe not "best of all-time" but I think we've pretty much moved away from that exclusive here and those albums play constantly for me.  Also, seconds or thirds or whatever on The Cramps.

• March 29, 2012 4:33 PM CDT

• Ryan Hatt said:

Alright, for super current I have to throw Ty Segall into the mix.  Either his self-titled or his collaboration with Mikal Cronin Reverse Shark Attack.  Maybe not "best of all-time" but I think we've pretty much moved away from that exclusive here and those albums play constantly for me.  Also, seconds or thirds or whatever on The Cramps.

• March 29, 2012 8:52 AM CDT
    • Alright, for super current I have to throw Ty Segall into the mix.  Either his self-titled or his collaboration with Mikal Cronin Reverse Shark Attack.  Maybe not "best of all-time" but I think we've pretty much moved away from that exclusive here and those albums play constantly for me.  Also, seconds or thirds or whatever on The Cramps.

• March 29, 2012 3:40 PM CDT
    • This Tuesday Revolution Rock featured music from The Oblivians, The Polymorphines, The Nevermores, The Evaporators, The Gruesomes, The Bureaucrats, Deer Tick, The Velvet Underground, The Teardrops, The Gories and more!

Download the podcast here: http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20120327-1030-t1332840600.mp3

Check out this week's blog post on The Oblivians new album: http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2012/03/oblivians-to-record-new-album-show-397.html

Also my show is nominated Revolution Rock is nominated for best inide/alternative//rock/punk show and best on air personality . Vote for it here: http://jammies.cjam.ca/index.php?sid=15639&lang=en

Tihs Week's Play List:

1.  The Nevermores – House of Smoke And Mirrors

2.  EX~PO – Tasty Bites (Live @ Chemical Sound – April 12, 2008)

3.  Franz Ferdinand – Real Thing

4.  The Evaporators – Bunk

5.  Jack Antonio Project – The Moose Is Loose

6.  The Bureaucrats – Crush You In My Arms

7.  The Polymorphines – Double Down

8.  The Gruesomes – Roadrunner (Live In London 1987)

9.  Teen Runnings – Why Does Everybody Do?

10. Thee Oh Sees – Wrong Idea

11. Lowlife – White Lightning

12. Lost Patrol – I’m Not The One

13. Deer Tick – Walkin' Out That Door

14. Heartless Bastards – Parted Ways

15. The Gun Club – Mother Of Earth

16. Talking Heads – The Big Country

17. Magazine – Holy Dotage

18. The Waldos – Cry Baby

19. The Gories – Thunderbird ESQ (Live At CJAM 1989)

20. The Teardrops – Everything's O.K.

21. The Cramps – Primitive

22. The Oblivians – Hey Mama, Look At Sis

23. Supergrass - Caught By The Fuzz

24. The Velvet Underground – Lisa Says

• March 29, 2012 2:20 PM CDT
    • The Remains were the undisputed highlight of The Ponderosa Stomp , THE YEAR THEY PLAYED (2009?) . My only criticism is , that they have so many great originals , why bother with covers at all ? But , I know how it is , a lot of bands don't have time to work out their entire back catalogue....They only did maybe 3 covers , but , still....Definitely way the hell up there on my list !

go.gorostiza said:

The Monks, definitely! Not just the best reformed live act I've seen, but one of the best shows I've seen in my entire life.
      After that are The Remains.
      Oh, and July were pretty pretty decent this last summer. The evoked quite well the atmosphere of THE album, what is not an easy task.

• March 29, 2012 2:16 PM CDT
    • ? and The Mysterians never fail ! Last time I saw them was the best one , yet. I have'nt seen The Sonics , but , I have the live 10" and have seen enough evidence on You Tube to know they've still got it.....Could have happened 25 years ago , but , everything happens for a reason.....I DOUBT THAT VERY MANY PEOPLE THOUGHT  IT WOULD EVER HAPPEN. I only read , yesterday , that Gerry Roslie had a heart transplant several years go , so , if that's true ,  be glad he's here , with us , now . The Alarm Clocks KILL , I've only seen them once , but , was blown away at how great they were.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

I have to say that the Sonics have pretty much been a blast at least live.  ? and the Mysterians were really good too in my opinion. For lesser known bands, album wise, the Alarm Clocks sound real good.  I saw a youtube with the Knight Riders of "I" fame that was real decent.  But I haven't really been privy to a lot else going on so I really can't give an opinion. But I've liked what I have heard or seen of these groups.

• March 29, 2012 2:10 PM CDT
    • Yes , sadly , Dave Day , who was a sweetheart of a guy , a loveable big kid and the greatest Banjo player in Rock 'n'Roll , passed away a few years ago , as did Drummer , Roger Johnstone (sic) , before him...So , there is no more monks , but , we're lucky we got to see them , because , I agree , they were great. Nitpickers don't see it so , and , I'd say fuck 'em , but , they're entitled to their take on it....... Gary Burger still owns his home studio in Bemidji , Minnesota , but , Eddie Shaw seems to be more busy with his writing , and Larry went AWOL again. I saw Gary do a solo gig , backed by The Goblins , a few years back . It was great . Who can say?

luscevious drummer said:

i would recommend the sonics, the monks (if they are still around, i think the banjo player passed away)the standells, ? & the mysterians i 've seen them live and they are great!

• March 29, 2012 2:07 PM CDT
    • Hey Kopper! Kewl AS -- Thank you! And of course, you will be the first to know :-) Mel

• March 29, 2012 11:07 AM CDT
    • I don't mind. If you need a word, then GO. Do it. You already have the site to use to network and get the word out, so good luck and keep us posted!

melissa scott said:

We've got plenty o' bands right here on the Hideout to get at least an entire day/night of bands to play here in the Southern Hemisphere. The Hideout Goes Down Under. :-) A satellite event to be sure. And a good network of radio stations to spread the word...

Just saying... give us the word and we'll get crackin'...

• March 28, 2012 6:38 PM CDT
    • We've got plenty o' bands right here on the Hideout to get at least an entire day/night of bands to play here in the Southern Hemisphere. The Hideout Goes Down Under. :-) A satellite event to be sure. And a good network of radio stations to spread the word...

Just saying... give us the word and we'll get crackin'...

• March 29, 2012 11:55 AM CDT
    • The same thing has been said about the New York Dolls.

Chris Henniker said:

Many glam acts cribbed riffs from earlier garage bands. Think how "Jean Genie" and The Sweet's "Blockbuster" were plagiarised from the Shadows of Knight's "Oh Yeah".

• March 29, 2012 10:53 AM CDT
    • Many glam acts cribbed riffs from earlier garage bands. Think how "Jean Genie" and The Sweet's "Blockbuster" were plagiarised from the Shadows of Knight's "Oh Yeah".

• March 29, 2012 7:58 AM CDT
    • I would just like to say that Prima Donna put on a kickass show in Cleveland on Tuesday night:)

• March 29, 2012 7:57 AM CDT
    • Too many songs by the Ramones and the early Beatles to even name:)

• March 28, 2012 7:27 PM CDT
    • "The Human Mertzes" , Plan 9 . 13 seconds.

"Bumble Bee Zombie" , "Please Don't Kill My Baby" , Roky Erickson...I THINK they're under two minutes.

"Sun Arise" (Rolf Harris cover) , Alice Cooper Group.

"River Ran Dry" Rev. Horton Heat. They had to add a verse , 20 plus years later , to make the studio version 2 minutes or longer.

• March 28, 2012 7:17 PM CDT
    •  I picked one up when I was in San Fracisco. Still have it , it's great. Thank you for saying such nice things about Roctober.       John.

• March 28, 2012 7:15 PM CDT
    • Resembles R.K. Sloane....Probably someone who likes him a lot , anyway.

kopper said:

That cover kicks ass. Whose artwork is that?

• March 28, 2012 5:14 PM CDT
    • The Mummies - Never Been Caught

But I would hope you already have it.

- Lester the Fink

• March 28, 2012 4:27 PM CDT
    • Yeah, I think it's a pretty good intro for those who weren't around in the 90s. Eric's an enthusiastic writer, as well as a super frontman.

There's an interview w/ him in One-Chord e-zine here on the Hideout.