Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• March 3, 2012 12:49 PM CST
    • Good points! A few random thoughts:

I don't really think the music (movie, etc.) industry gives a shit about what sells as long as it sells. It's not an "entertainment-provider" so much as a $ machine. If people still want to buy shit music, they don't have a problem with providing it.

I don't really think that the masses of top-40 types think about what they could be listening to. As an example, I grew up listening to the Beatles and disco mainly, I didn't even hear oldies 'til after high-school graduation. Someone once told me, "If there are only 3 channels on TV, and 2 of 'em go off the air, you know what people will be watching."

Also, um, hip music is for the hip, the masses will always be a bit clueless.

Demographics are changing too, the kids in the future will likely prefer various types of dance music.

Once in a while, something will pop up in the square world that's like a pale, washed-out version of some type of punk, i.e the Strokes (not saying that 1st lp wasn't fun, but it's not punk) or the White Stripes, etc. That's about as good as they can hope for 'til they wake up (as we did) and realize there's better music out there. I can't see most people I've known rockin' out to the Oblivions or Watchband.

The public has blinders on.

• March 3, 2012 11:50 AM CST
    • I would have to say that it is a combination of all of those things. The music industry is focused on what sells. For some reason the masses are suckers for really shitty, talentless, music without substance. If you even want to call it music that is. It seems that they target very young teenagers that are very impressionable...between the ages of 12-15, because they know those kids are going to listen to anything.. if the airwaves suggest that its cool to like it or television advertises it as so...it isn't about putting good music out there anymore...it's about making money and not the quality of the music. So basically the cycle goes like this...radio plays shitty music, younger kids are told its cool to like shit music, they listen to it to fit in, those kids that are musically inclined immitate the shitty music they are told is cool on the radio, which exposes the shitty music to other people, and it spreads like a wild fire, until its all over the place, so the record industry makes their money, the promoters promote the shitty music that the record industry puts out, and the kids play this shitty music out at the clubs. the cycle repeats...and its going to keep going that way...until the people at the top are removed and replaced by people that give a damn about good music.

• March 3, 2012 11:49 AM CST
    • The choice is there and so much better than it has ever been. 

People might be goods at reminising on the 50s and 60s especially those who haven't lived through them but unless they were giving away records in well stocked shops my guess is that both decades sucked compared to now. I mean if I want to listen to a Russian ska band, African jazz, Bolivian garage punk it's possible with the internet in seconds. Neglecting the fact that much of the music we enjoy today wasn't even in existence back then, you would have needed a phd in music studies to find you the choice you now have with the net.

Those that listen to mainstream radio probably treat music in the same way as I treat cars. I couldn't give a crap as long as they do their job. You can't be a coneseur in everything.

• March 3, 2012 10:30 AM CST
    • I know this is a battered and worn discussion over the years but I am still perplexed at why some fantastic, high energy, cool bands are not even getting a whiff at success over the radio airwaves. I know, I know, some bands want to keep their "cool underground" rep and don't want to be seen as "sell outs" but you would think that at least "some" would surface mainstream. Is our society so lame and bland that Coldplay and Bruno Mars dominate the air waves? I know back in the 50's and early 60's, radio DJ's (Alan Freed, Wolfman Jack etc)  could spin their own records, before the payola scandal. I really wish new DJ's could be given that choice again and depending on the music format, I am sure the general public would be welcome to discovering new music. But alas, that is just a dream. I know that alot of college and pirate radio stations (not to mention this website's GREAT podcasts) that try to get the music buzz out there, but it makes up a very small percentage of the casual music fans who are subjected to the same homogenized radio all the time because they don't know any better.

In recent history I would say that the White Stripes are the closest that a band has come to reaching the mainstream charts. I also know that with satellite radio we are given a bigger choice of radio stations that are not driven by commercials but they are also getting paid by subscribers.  So my question is this.....is it the music/radio industry promoters, the bands/artists themselves or the fans that are to blame?

Like the "Da Bruddahs" once sang..."Do you remember Rn'R Radio?"

• March 3, 2012 10:19 AM CST
    • @LastofmyKind_ Not sure how many of those groups were about from 1976- 1981? When I was out there in Brisbane I saw a group called "The Lazy Sods" who had an English drummer, that was back in 1995. I know there is still a minority following of Punk in Aussie, with young kids starting garage bands, but my experience with a lot of Aussie groups is that they mainly do cover songs, very few write their own material like 'No FX' for example :) Thanks for the info, I will do a bit of research on those listed and have a listen. Didn't mean to offend my antipodean cousins :) Not sure if that helps SEAN who posted the original question, tho?

LastofmyKind said:

Heineken Shot said:

"let's face it, there ain't exactly a lot of punk groups from Oz, eh?"

No offense man but have you heard of some of these Aussie Punk/Garage Bands? Some quite seminal...

The Saints
      Radio Birdman
      The Lime Spiders
      The Scientists
      The Celibate Rifles
      Beasts of Bourbon
      The Psycho Surgeons
      The Victims
      The Hitmen
      The Lipstick Killers
      The Visitors
      The Passengers
      The Fun Things
      The Sunnyboys
      New Christs
      New Race
      Hoodoo Gurus
      Minutmen
      The Screaming Tribesmen
      Died Pretty
      Decline Of The Reptiles
      The Eastern Dark
      The Exploding White Mice
      The Hard-Ons
      The Psychotic Turnbuckles
      The Stems
      The Some Loves
      The Ohilistines
      The Headstones
      The Stems

• March 3, 2012 9:32 AM CST
    • KISS and the Rolling Stones.  

I have the first six studio albums by KISS, along with "ALIVE" and "ALIVE II," along with with "Creatures of the Night" and "Psycho Circus."  KISS was the first band that I ever got into, so I guess that's why I have so many of their releases.  It's a combination of nostalgia and sentimentalism.

As for the Rolling Stones, I've been getting reacquainted with them, so I recently acquired all of the studio albums that were released between 1968 and 1972, along with "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!," "It's Only Rock'n'Roll," and "Some Girls."  I bought "England's Newest Hitmakers" and "12x5" a while back, and I still enjoy them.  This is open to debate, but I have to agree that the Stones truly are the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world, because of the standards they set and their influence.

This is one of the most interesting questions anyone has ever asked around here:)

• March 3, 2012 4:28 AM CST
    • Bob Dylan. Years back I gave a guitar lesson to the son of a family friend and they paid me with a big box of records. Was about the same time another family friend uttered the words "We've got everything we want on CD now. Have a look in the attic and take what you want." Heaven. No garage, no punk, but a shed load of Dylan, Neil Young and other great stuff like that.

• March 3, 2012 4:07 AM CST
    • Cheap Trick for more reasons than makes sense to post. Great songs, great musicians - I love pretty much everything there is about CT.

• March 3, 2012 3:32 AM CST
    • Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, David Bowie.

Not exactly garage punk, but most killer garage bands have very few recordings.

• March 2, 2012 11:45 PM CST
    • As much as I love the Ramones and Radio Birdman, the artist I own the most records by, is Ty Segall.  His guitar shredding and the sound of his voice are awesome, and he's a great songwriter.  Plus, he's absurdly prolific and the quality just doesn't drop.  At this point, I own pretty much all of his solo stuff and side projects, save for one or two 7" singles.

What about you?  Maybe we can post photos of ourselves with our "most by this artist" records?

• March 3, 2012 9:25 AM CST
    • Great!  Thanks Al!

• March 3, 2012 12:02 AM CST

• The screamin' Soul Preacher said:

Try this : 

http://kogarsjunglejuice.blogspot.com/

This is Kogar's own blog.  I believe you may find the last volumes around. Just scroll down...and see.

Kogar has a Hideout profile too, not sure he's around these days, but you still you can try and add him as Gpunk friend ! http://garagepunk.ning.com/profile/Kogartheswingingape

Kogar has been offering remastered versions of these oh-so-nifty collections.  He hasn't posted all volumes yet but the ones he has sound great!  A couple of weeks ago he gave us "Lux Lives"... a commemorative CD issued to coincide with a yearly celebration of Lux.  It's still available and very much worth grabbing...

• March 3, 2012 9:11 AM CST
    • Thanks for the info!

Zero Hour Records said:

The Dangtrippers from Iowa.  Their first album Days Between Stations is a must have.. it's on iTunes now as it hasn't been available since 1989.

• March 3, 2012 7:13 AM CST
    • The Dangtrippers from Iowa.  Their first album Days Between Stations is a must have.. it's on iTunes now as it hasn't been available since 1989.

• March 3, 2012 3:19 AM CST
    • My knowledge of how this here internet works would pretty much put me at ludite status, so didn't know that you couldn't move things around with ning...in fact had never heard of ning until I saw it here. A brave new world indeed. 

• March 3, 2012 3:04 AM CST
    • Yeah, those lyrics to The Byrds tune are nowt short of terrible, but when it comes down to it, if you write decent lyrics and have a great tune to back it up, does it matter if you're just moaning about something? Obviously stuff inside the music industry is generally of no importance to anyone, but there are still some people who pull it off. I think Weezer's Pork & Beans is an example, which they wrote after their label told them to go back and write some hits. Arctic Monkeys' Fake Tales Of San Francisco is another lyrically fine tune that's basically moaning about bands in England pretending to be American in the wake of the rise of The Strokes, and the soap opera that is The Libertines pulled off the whole in-band fighting thing to great aplomb on Can't Stand Me Now

Are there any decent garage bands out there at the moment who are commenting on bigger issues, and how well are they doing it? I remember hearing The Jeevas How Much Do You Suck? for the first time and thinking that the lyrics were just plain embarassing, but you could argue that sometimes songs like that have to be lyrically very simple in order to connect with the masses, well, they don't always have to be so simple I guess, but sometimes it might be called for. British Sea Power did it well on their last album though with Who's In Control?, which was also asking why people weren't on the street fighting about what was happening in the UK. "Sometimes I wish protesting was sexy on a Saturday night."

Oh, and Axl, basically a complete tool, but with an ace backing band.

• March 2, 2012 5:57 PM CST
    • If something is pissing off, sure, write about.  If you write pleasing lyrics about something enough people hate - taxes, the queen, your asshole guitar player - someone has to dig it.

• March 3, 2012 1:43 AM CST
    • Show #363: "Bands & Artists Starting With S, Part 6" playlist:

Shyster - "Tick Tock"
      The Si-Dells - "Watch Out Mother"
      Sidan - "Gobaith"
      Side Three - "Every Now And Then"
      The Sidekicks [UK] - "And She's Mine"
      The Sidekicks [US] - "Not Now"
      The Sidetrack - "Baby"
      The Sidewalk Sounds - "Make The Music Pretty"
      The Sidewinders - "It Hurts"
      Sidro's Armada - "Little Girl From Greenwood, Georgia"
      Paul Siebel - "Louise"
      Siegel-Schwall Band - "I Wouldn't Quit You"
      Sight And Sound - "Alley, Alley"
      The Sights And Sounds - "You Keep Me Hanging On"
      The Significant Other - "Ode To Carrabasset Flats"
      Signs Of The Zodiac - "Gemini: Planetary Motivations"
      Sikiot - "Side One"
      Silence - "Devil Woman"
      The Silhouettes [GER] - "Crying Over You"
      The Silhouettes [US] - "Get A Job"
      Silk - "Skitzo Blues"
      Silk Winged Alliance - "Flashback"
      The Silkie - "The Keys To My Soul"
      Judee Sill - "Jesus Was A Cross Maker"
      Billy Sills - "Nightmare"
      Silmaril - "Song Of The Apocalypse"
      Siluetler - "Lorke Lorke"
      Silver [CA] - "Memory"
      Silver [WI] - "Children Of The Lord"
      Silver Apples - "A Pox On You"
      The Silver Byke - "Who Needs Tomorrow"
      Silver Eagle - "Theodore"
      Silver Fleet - "Look Out World"
      Silver Lining - "Bye Goodbye"
      Silver Metre - "Naughty Lady"
      Silver Sand - "Kaw-Liga"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/363.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/363.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• March 2, 2012 1:16 PM CST
    • Show #363: "Bands & Artists Starting With S, Part 6"

Every 3 weeks I do a series of shows I call the "Alphabetical Series" where I randomly draw a letter of the alphabet from a hat. Whatever letter I draw, I take all the bands and artists in my collection (from the 50's, 60's & 70's only) that start with that letter and play them in strict alphabetical order one by one until I run out of time. This week I drew the letter "S". This is the sixth time I've drawn the letter "S", so I will start from where I left off on show #5 (which was with The Shyres). So, tune in tonight (Friday at 10:00pm EST) to hear 3 hours of bands and artists that start with "S" like: Shyster, The Si-Dells, Sidan, 2 different Sidekicks, The Sidetrack, The Sidewalk Sounds, Siegel-Schwall Band, Sight And Sound, Sikiot, Silence, 2 different Silhouettes, Silk, The Silkie, Judee Sill, Silmaril, 2 bands called Silver, Silver Apples, The Silver Byke, Silver Metre, and many many others!!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• March 2, 2012 11:48 PM CST
    • I wouldn't call this band "politically incorrect".  "Depraved" is a more apt description.

Barney Rubble and The C*nt Stubble - Retarded Chicks

Yikes!  This is not for the faint of heart!  The web site is old but anyone interested can probably hear/download the music here:

http://www.thestubbles.com/stubblemusic.htm

• March 2, 2012 6:26 PM CST
    • Playlist Mar 1/2012.....

This was our first show in the new timeslot, that being 6 to 7:30PM EST and we had the extra task of filling in until 8:30PM....so a marathon of cool music.
      We had Nicole Zouki, the person in charge of the Wired Fridays events, which are live bands playing at The Spoke here on campus as a special guest. And anyone can go, student or not to these free events!

1. Forgotten Rebels...Hello Hello....from the This Ain't Hollywood LP from the early 1980's on Star Records. Gary Glitter's song punked up to welcome everyone back to the first regular Radio WW in a coupla weeks.

2. The Monkees....Monkees Theme...from the TV show and the greatest hits LP and goes out to Davy Jones who passed away the day before this show.

3. Cheap Thrills...Gotta Get Away...from their self titled 10" record and they are from Montreal.

4. The Monkees...Steppin' Stone...again from the Greatest Hits LP and probably the punkest of Monkees tunes. A Boyce and Hart composition that's become a garagepunk standard over the years.

5. The Diodes...Action Reaction...from the CD of the same name.

6. Barrence Whitfield and The Savages...Walking With Barrence...from their first LP that came out on Mamou Records in 1984 and has recently been re-released on Ace Records. We got to see BW and The Savages at The Star Club in Oshawa 8/27/88 and they were KILLER live!! Great guy too!! Then we ran into him the next night in Toronto at a Blasters show, and he wasn't even on the bill!!

7. Barrence Whitfield and The Savages...Mama Get The Hammer, Flys On The Babies Head...as above and a killer tune in more ways than one!

8. Booker T and The MG's...Mo' Onions...from the Green Onions CD

9. Deadly Hearts...Moonwalk...from their self titled debut CD. Miles Deck is on this one playing the tubs...formerly of Miles Deck and The Fuzz.

10. Legend Killers...Spring Break Shark Attack...from the We're Workin' On It CD from 2006 on the What Wave label and a timely release.

11. Osterberg...Burn It Down...from the 10" LP.  Earle Rutherford who was in the Legend Killers (but not on the above track) does vocals on this one.

12. Supersuckers...Saddletramp/Allright...from a 7" on Sympathy For The Record Industry. Singer Eddie Spaghetti is in town on saturday night at Call The Office.

13. The Viletones...Sign Of The Times...from the What It Feels Like To Kill CD from 1998. Some mighty fine powerpop from one of the original class of 1977 bands outta Toronto.

14. Soupcans...I Don't Want To Be A Soupcan...from a CD at the station and i agree with the title on this one.

15. Strange Attractor...I Don't Wanna Be A Strange Attractor...from the self titled CD and they are at Call The Office tonight with Teenanger.

16. Strange Attractor...Just Looking...from a 7" on FDH Records.

17. Teenanger...Carole Pope...from their self titled LP on Television Explosion Records.

18. Teenanger...mystery song recorded live at Call The Office 9/299/11

19. Les Sexareenos...Wild Wild Wild...from the Live In The Bed LP on Sympathy For The Record Industry from 2000 and they played in Toronto the other day.

20. Immaculate Hearts...Sugar Pussy...from a 7" on Sympathy For The Record Industry. Freddi Pompei, formerly of The Viletones is in this Philly combo from 1990.

21. The Pulsebeats...Your Powerpop Boys...from their self titled CD and they are from Spain.

22. Orrie Hitt Machine...Killer Inside Me...brand new local combo that we'll be hearing more of on future shows.

23. Counters...When You Come Around...from their brand new CD This Doesn't Mean We're Friends. Another brand new local combo you'll be hearing lots more on Radio WW.

24. The Kards...When You Walk In The Room...yet another London combo, we had Kevin Kard as a guest on the last show as we gave the world premiere to The Kards first ever CD!

25. The Black Holes...Fool...recorded live at The Brunswick many years ago. The Black Holes will be playing at Call The Office Mar 10th.

26. Generics...Thoughts In The Brunswick...unreleased demo from 1983 from this London combo.

27. 63 Monroe...Bad Bad Rawk'n'Roll...from their latest 7"...at one time, these guys were contemporaries of the Generics...

28. The Hook Up...65 Has No Blues...recorded live at The Spoke 11/25/11 as part of Wired Fridays as Nicole, the promoter joined us around this time.

29. The Hi-Tones...Boots/Girl Can't Help It...recorded live at The Spoke 1/13/12.

30. The Hook Up...A Happening Today...11/25/11 at The Spoke.

31. The Hi-Tones...Big Bad Wolf...1/13/12 at The Spoke.

32. Uranus...Shake Some Action..live on CFNY May 1980 as part of a live to air. And speaking of live to air, on Mar 22/1982 Uranus did a live to air on CHRW. And on thursday Mar 22/2012, we're going to re-broadcast part of that show exactly 30 years later!! And we're going to have a couple of the members of Uranus as special guests, Frank Ridsdale and Jack Whiteside. They're going to talk about what they remember of that show (which isn't much as it was just a regular show for them) and what they're up to 30 years later!

33. Wreckless Eric...Joe Meek...from a 7" on Sympathy For The Record Industy.

34. Sir Douglas Quintet....Mendicino...from their Greatest Hits LP on Takoma Records from 1980.

35. Rock'nRoll Monkey and The Robots...Hitch A Ride To Beatsville...from their Back To Beatsville CD. This band has released 4 CD's, all great stuff that has received extensive airplay on Radio WW and they are presently trying to raise cash to release some vinyl. Here's a link with a video and it explains how even you can help this worthy cause:

http://www.indiegogo.com/Rock-n-Roll-Monkey-the-Robots

36. Rock'n'Roll Monkey and The Robots...I Like To Go Man Go...from the Do What The Bee Does CD.

37. Rock'n'Roll Monkey and The Robots...Put A Record On...from their latest CD, Spooky Kooky Attic Static. This title sums up the above cause.

38. catl...5 Years...from their latest CD, soon this will all be gone. catl are at Call The Office  3/16, see you there!

39. Musical Linn Twins...Rockin' Out The Blues...from the Lux Lives CD. Lux talks about the state of rock'n'roll right before the song starts.

40. Sporting Bachelors...In The Garage...from the Love Letters to Joanna LP from 1990 on Dionysus Records and sums up what the show will be like  next week with Ryan In The Red starting at 7:30PM. Had to cut this one real short as the clock on the wall was moving way too fast during this show.

Thanx for all of the call-ins, requests, emails, facebook likes etc!!! We're back at 6PM next week with an all women's show as it is International Womens Day on March 8th.

Here's the links for the podcast...in 3 parts this week:

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1800.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1830.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3

• March 2, 2012 12:27 AM CST
    • A friend of mine somehow managed to get "Fellas the Goose is Dead" out of Bauhaus "Bela Lugosi's Dead"

• March 1, 2012 11:34 PM CST
    • And we ALL heard- Excuse me while I kiss this guy in" Purple Haze" by Jimi Hendrix