Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• February 28, 2012 10:09 AM CST
    • Also in St. Louis, the Nevermores have a new LP coming out on vinyl very soon... I posted this video in the Video section recently (it's just a promo vid, nothing special, but the song is very cool!):

• February 27, 2012 3:54 PM CST
    • Yes THey reformed! and did a  Montreal show  heres some footage:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDAJDI6x7Jc

kopper said:

Did Les Sexareenos reform?

Light Bulb Alley ( New LP out!) said:

Bloodshot Bill, Demons Claws, Les Sexerinos, Skip Jensen, a lot more coming and going, Im at work now so ill stop b4 i get fired

• February 28, 2012 9:51 AM CST
    • Well, you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, right? If we DON'T take all of this "a bit too seriously" then the Forum can get bogged down or riddled with mindless game posts/threads and flame wars that piss people off and cause them to leave, or if we DO take it seriously and keep the forum moderated, then we risk pissing people off for not letting them post their silly games and getting their panties in a wad over ridiculously stupid shit. That puts us in an awkward position that requires us to try to agree to (and stick to) a certain standard. I understand that there's a bit of an issue with attempting to "raise the bar" when you're dealing with, as you put it, cavemen and cavewomen, but we're honestly above that sort of mentality, aren't we? "Cavemen and cavewomen" shouldn't be synonymous with trolls or assholes, after all. Just because you like your music primitive doesn't mean you should have primitive brains.

Alison said:

I get it, but I think you might be in danger of taking this all a bit too seriously.  We aren't intellectuals dissecting prog rock, we are  "mindless" cavemen and cavewomen searching for that perfect primitive beat.  Garage punk hits us on a visceral level. Anyway, feel free to encourage more (and post more) thought provoking topics, I just think its a little heavy handed to suddenly start shutting down people's posts.  You pretty much started a "game" the other day with your worst video you've ever seen post (great find by the way).

• February 28, 2012 9:05 AM CST
    • As a moderator myself, it has become a judgement call on some of these threads. This issue we were having was that it was no longer becoming much of a discussion, but as Gringo stated, heated debates/arguements between Hideout members. Yes, Kopper started that one thread you pointed out, but that was BEFORE we began having problems with these threads. Plus, many of these discussions really weren't discussions at all, just vid posting. If you had such an intense problem with a thread being shut down, and had questions regarding it, you should have messaged Kopper about it directly, not putting Gringo in your bullet's bullseye. He was just doing his job, and you crossed the line.

• February 28, 2012 7:27 AM CST
    • Well, I was expecting this. If you could read the discussions that we have in the Moderators group you would realize how hard we struggle with moderating members' posts here. And by that I mean that we DON'T want to touch them! We have argued back and forth about what kind of posts are generating a positive conversation and which are becoming disruptive and superfluous. We have had members leave the site lately because of threads that ended up in flame wars, and we have even experienced members leaving because of the standard of posts and discussions here! All this has forced our hand a bit to get a little proactive and encourage a certain standard. All of us struggle with this. None of us want to be the Police.

I was a bit disappointed in the way you characterized my reply to the "Fight Song" thread - "Sorry Axel, but your post was not up to snuff, did not cut the mustard....." - When you compare that with my actual comment you include at the end of your post I think that anyone comparing the two would agree that you are being unfair and with your inclusion of the word "fascism", a bit over the top.

Look Alison, I totally understand where you're coming from on this. I never wanted to be seen as some kind of party pooper. I'm a podcaster and agreed to help Kopper moderate the site so he could have more time for his REAL life. I took the plunge and decided (with the consent of my fellow moderators AND Kopper) to be the one to close a few discussions. And what do I get in return? My name being used as a synonym for a bad discussion!

• February 27, 2012 10:46 PM CST
    • I get it, but I think you might be in danger of taking this all a bit too seriously.  We aren't intellectuals dissecting prog rock, we are  "mindless" cavemen and cavewomen searching for that perfect primitive beat.  Garage punk hits us on a visceral level. Anyway, feel free to encourage more (and post more) thought provoking topics, I just think its a little heavy handed to suddenly start shutting down people's posts.  You pretty much started a "game" the other day with your worst video you've ever seen post (great find by the way).

• February 27, 2012 7:17 PM CST
    • I think the thing is that bugs us about those sorts of topics is that a lot of those "discussions" weren't actually discussions at all, and that's why they got "Gringoed." They're basically GAMES, where one person posts something, then someone else posts a response that doesn't actually contribute to any kind of meaningful *discussion*... instead, what you get is a seemingly endless thread of YouTube videos (or links to YouTube videos for those who can't figure out how to use the embed button), one after the other, ad nauseum. If you want to post games, do it on Facebook, or use the Chat room (as he suggested) to post stuff like that. The Forum should be a place where people can go and actually read some interesting, thought-provoking topics of discussion, and not find topics with hundreds of mindless responses that say nothing at all about anything. That's what he means by "raising the bar." Make sense?

Anyway, that's my POV.

• February 27, 2012 5:57 PM CST
    • Sorry Axel, but your post was not up to snuff, did not cut the mustard, and as a result you got "gringoed." 

Hmmmm . . . perhaps we can have a "discussion" about what constitutes a proper discussion around here?  The network guidelines just harp about making sure the discussions in the general discussion forum are general music discussions.  Okaay.  Well, I am new here and I don't want to break the rules or lower the bar of this fine social networking site.  Or maybe I really really want to, the punk in me does like to fight against fascism.  My official fighting song would be Bad Reputation by Joan Jett - Ha!

So, What makes a good discussion?  What makes a bad discussion?  What are some of your favorite discussions ever on hideout?

If you're going to the ring....

I have already commented about a couple of forum post like this. Maybe you guys didn't read them. We want to try to raise the bar a bit when it comes to forum posts. Picture games and song games are not cutting it anymore. I encourage you to give your forum posts a bit more thought. We always have the chat pane or your personal Hideout blogs if you wanna discuss things like this. I hope you guys understand where we are coming from on this. Thanks in advance.

• February 28, 2012 9:41 AM CST
    • Kustom City Sounds  2/24/12  

Playlist

Kustom City Sounds

2-24-12-1

Playlist

Hour I

The Damned – Neat, Neat, Neat

Sleater-Kinney – Combat Rock

Freddy & The Four_Gone Conclusions – I Can’t See You

Doctor Explosion – Everybody

New York Dolls – Jet Boy

Rocket From The Crypt – Drop Out

Seger Liberation Army – Get Down On Your Knees

The Death Set – Chew It Like A Gun Gum

The Escatones – Hello Lucy

Intro

Get Lost – One Way Ticket

The Black Hollies – Benevolent Beacon

Suicide – Rocket USA

Dirty Beaches – Horses

Moon Duo – When You Cut

Joy Division – Dead Souls

Black Pistol Fire – Where You Been Before

Carl Cherry – The Itch

Road Kings – Hot Headed Gal

Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas – Drug Lists

Hour II

The Black Keys – Lonely Boy

Darkside – All That Noise

Dead Weather – Bone House

The Gun Club – Sex Beat

Little Barrie -  Surf Hell

Imperial State Electric – Sheltered In The Sky

Light Bulb Alley – Eye In The Sky

The Satelliters – It’s Not True

Johnny Sandon & The Remo Four – Lies

Brylcreem

The Lyres – We Sell Soul

Urban Junior – Sweet Johnny Suicide

Little Walter – Lights Out

The Fleshtones – Ride Your Pony

The Orbits – Mr. Hard Luck

EATER – Public Toys

G.B.H. – Time Bomb

New  Bomb Turks – Snap Decisions

Ernest – Shot My Paw

Satan’s Pilgrims – Soul Pilgrim

Glaze Of Cathexis – Cold Fusion (stereo)

The Breakups – Everybody’s Girl

Crisco

The Dolly Rocker Movement – Falling Home Again

Defectors – C’mon Shake!

The Strange Boys – Should Have Shot Paul

The White Stripes – The Hardest Button To Button

Velvet Underground – What Goes On (closet mix)

A.C. Jones – Oh Baby

The Performers – Mini Skirt

Hour III

Johnny Paycheck – I’m Barely Hangin’ On To Me

Joe Stockton - Coffeyville

Wayne Hancock – Double A Daddy

Jo Ann Campbell – Wait A Minute

Deadbolt – Whereabouts Unknown

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club – Shuffle Your Feet

The Modern Lovers – She Cracked

Bosco

John Lee Hooker & The Groundhogs – I’m Losin’ You

The Splash Four – Nut Cop

The Monkees – Porpoise Song

The Milkshakes – Grim Reaper

Johnny Throttle – Waking Up Alone

Muck & The Mires – Last Time

A Place To Bury Strangers – Ego Death

Radio Birdman – New Race

The Broken Vinyl Club – One Way Street

Elmer Fudd

The Compulsive Gamblers – Stop & Think It Over

Spectrum – Mary

Plasticland – The Glove

Jesus And Mary Chain – Teenage Lust

Acid Baby Jesus – Tyrannosaurus Rex

The Escatones – Hello Lucy

Beetlejuice – Qualifications

Hour IV

Ansel Collins – Nuclear Weapn

Desmond Dekker - & The Aces – Israelites

Thievery Corporation – The Richest Man In Babylon

Black Mountain – Druganaut

Led Zeppelin – We’re Gonna Groove

Boss Martians – She Moves Me

No Bunny – Blow Dumb
      Shutdown 66 – Gone For Bad

Emmanuel Laskey – The Monkey

Hard On

Buddy Howard - Take Your Hands Off Me Baby

The Heavy Eyes – Iron Giants

The Main Street Gospels – Won’t Be Stayin’

Two Gallants – Fail Hard To Regain

Gene Vincent – Crazy Beat

The Fall – Big New Prinz

Ingredients – Please Don’t Leave Me

The Maharajas – Repo Man

The Solid Soul Disciples – One By One

• February 28, 2012 9:04 AM CST
    • Hogwash's research has uncovered that thee "garage" standards should only be tunes that are covers of another cover, until the original artists versions tune, lyrics, timing is lost in the confusion.  

So under these conditions thee standards should begin with: Louie Louie, Surfin' Bird/Pah Ooh Mow Mow, Empty Heart, Suzie Q, Summertime Blues, Gloria........

• February 28, 2012 5:40 AM CST
    • i'm surprised nobody's said Del Shannon's "Runaway."

• February 28, 2012 2:40 AM CST
    • Watch Outside by the Mono Men

• February 27, 2012 6:53 PM CST
    • I Need You by The Kinks.

• February 27, 2012 6:08 PM CST
    • The Stones She Said Yeah.

• February 27, 2012 4:21 PM CST
    • Elton John sang Someone shaved my wife tonight, sugar bear-Journey Don't stop believing, hold on to the ceiling-and when the bite goes down on the titty.

• February 27, 2012 4:08 PM CST
    • I use a '67 KAPA Minstrel (see below).  American body, neck by Hofner, electronics and pickups by Harmony.  The Minstrel has a thin trebly tone, very much like an old Rick.  Clean, with all three pickups engaged, it has a pleasingly lush vintage tone, very reminiscent of the Mercy sound;  overdriven, it screams, squeals, and often throws an uncontrollable fit. I suspect this is due to the dicey pickups.  It's an unpredictable beast, but that's part of the charm. 

I use the Minstrel for all my solos in THEE DIRTYBEATS, as it contrasts so well (and cuts through) Jamie's thick fuzzed-out Mosrite -- another guitar with especially good tone for garage.

The following track has examples of both tones. The opening riff is the Minstrel with overdrive, while the backing guitar during the verses is the Minstrel played clean.  The terrific solo is Jamie's Mosrite -- he totally has that fuzz thang down:

http://theedirtybeats.bandcamp.com/track/you-turned-your-back-on-me

THEE DIRTYBEATS - maximum vintage garage

• February 27, 2012 3:49 PM CST
    • I bet it started as a Twitter thing.

• February 27, 2012 2:35 PM CST
    • Of course it was. Who comes up with these hoaxes? Silly.

• February 27, 2012 2:34 PM CST
    • A day later it was announced asa hoax...

• February 27, 2012 3:18 PM CST
    • We're Live with Episode 2-27!!  

Todays show features Frank "Andy" Starr from memphis Tenn. along with Gail & The Tricksters from Wild Oats Records!!   

Then we're rockin with Ruby Dee and the Snakehandlers, Randy Rich & The Poor Boys, The Stumbleweeds and much more.

Be sure to stay tuned for the Psychobilly hour featuring more brand new music from the Koffin Kats latest release "Our Way and the Highway" from their new record label Sailor's Grave Records!!

tune in @ http://whfr.fm/about/listen-live-now 

or on TuneIn radio app - servicing all smart phones

or w/ the Public Radio Player App in iTunes!!

• February 27, 2012 2:59 PM CST
    • We will offer any member a free cd of GARAGE-MANIA to anyone in the USA.

Just e-mail me at robbyrussell@verizon.net

Some shows can be heard on oour web site

• February 27, 2012 2:21 PM CST
    • Join Robby Russell and his loveable sidekick Nurse Cheril playing garage, pych and punk rock n roll from the 60's and 70's on the voice of Cerritos College in Southen California on www.wpmd.org every Saturday 1 to 3 PM Pacific time. Join us and our crazy cast of characters. Mary Jane, LIL Margie, Granny and Joey the K for the most fun garage rock radio show on the air. We will play new garage bands so check out our website at www.robbyrussellshow.com

• February 27, 2012 2:16 PM CST
    • I don't. It's not gonna happen. There's no way we could get publishing rights on covers or get the original artists to waive their mechanical royalties.

The Blue Squares said:

I like this idea.  

Ernesto Garcia Marques said:

A Garage Punk copilation of cover versions would be really cool. Don't know about Kenny Rogers covers but that would be interesting....