Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• February 24, 2012 6:09 PM CST
    • go to my site www.facebook.com/nikflagstarandhisdirtymangydogs and check out our tune, "Jack of Spades" it is a song about musical civil rights, lyrically in the tradition of Bob Dylans "Hurricane" but musically in the piano-rock n roll/doowop genre, enjoy political incorrectness from all angles!

• February 24, 2012 6:07 PM CST
    • Howdy Ya'll, I'm Nik Flagstar leader of Nik Flagstar and his Dirty Mangy Dogs, we are Psychotic-White-Trash-Hillbilly-Punk-Rock n Roll from the Panhandle of Florida! If'n ya'll wanna check out some tunes and videos www.facebook.com/nikflagstarandhisdirtymangydogs is where to get it at! Also I'll be frequenting the boards here, so if you'd like to bang out some music-nerd debates or just rap about rock n roll, hit me up!

• February 24, 2012 5:06 AM CST
    • Taken by surprise and sabotage records in Europe are super cool and also s.p records from Japan 

Polyvinyl Craftsmen said:

Born Bad in France is well worth checking.

• February 24, 2012 1:29 AM CST
    • Born Bad in France is well worth checking.

• February 23, 2012 11:07 PM CST
    • anyone mention Spinout Records or Lifeguard Records yet?

• February 24, 2012 3:43 PM CST
    • The film Ghostbusters was released in the UK after the song was already a hit in the US. My friends working in a record shop thought they were singing, "Those Bastards."

:D

• February 24, 2012 2:58 PM CST
    • "I Wanna Destroy You" by the Soft Boys, which is my favorite track from the "Children of Nuggets" boxed set.  

• February 24, 2012 11:33 AM CST
    • If you're going to the ring....

I would go for this.

• February 24, 2012 12:36 PM CST
    • Show #362: "The Eggman Collection #109"

Every 3 weeks I do a series of shows called The Eggman Collection which is a big potpourri of every song I've ever liked in my life...EVER! It's literally a huge mixing bowl full of songs written onto tiny pieces of paper. Over 15,000 songs that I've been compiling for the past 20-plus years of my life. Every song I've ever liked has gone into this bowl, and every three weeks I draw them out one-by-one and play them for you in no particular order. A mix of everything and anything I like, no matter what genre, era, style or year of release...if I like it, then I'll play it! No repeats of the same song ever! Tune in tonight (Friday) at 10pm EST for the 109th installment of The Eggman Collection and hear bands and artists like: The Paisleys, John Lennon, The Bluethings, Johnny Kidd & The Pirates, The United States Of America, The Rascals, Blossom Toes, Genesis, Bob Dylan, Mortimer, The Monocles, The Mystery Trend, Phil & The Frantics, Quicksilver Messenger Service, The Beatles, The New York Rock & Roll Ensemble, The Kinks, Donovan, Caravan, and many others!!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• February 24, 2012 9:53 AM CST
    • Hahahaha ... yes indeed

Doug Dickerson said:

Now if you were from Hamburg Germany this would be doubly cool.

The Hamburglars said:

ummm ... ROBBLE!

• February 24, 2012 9:42 AM CST
    • Now if you were from Hamburg Germany this would be doubly cool.

The Hamburglars said:

ummm ... ROBBLE!

• February 23, 2012 11:28 PM CST
    • yep...white tees, shades and swim trunksthe Get Wets  ...always

• February 23, 2012 7:21 PM CST
    •   When I was younger, I was way more image conscious. As the dude above mentioned, when one gets older things change. Luckily I realized this in my mid thirties and I began to think that if I was going to continue doing music, I would have to have a different approach. So I started paying more attention to my musical abilities than my hair or boots. I've been involved with a few "uniform" bands. The Hexxers wore African Voodoo masks & we played matching Hallmark Sweptwing instruments.  I could not see a thing out of the eye holes on stage & had to play blindly. The wooden masks would bouce around and smack me in the face if I moved at all! I sat in on bass with the Ghastly Ones for a few shows in the Pacific NW & wore their Top Hats, white shirt & vest uniform , but I felt weird. I look at the pictures from the show, and the image looks good on the other guys in the band, but I felt like a fish out of water. I've always been a non- conformist. (No Tattoos or piercings for example)  And getting back to the growing older gracefully thing...Nothing looks worse than a middle aged dude trying to squeeze into pants that are way too thin & tight or trying to hide a receding hair line with a weird comb over. LOL. (I still have my hair at 55 btw I wear hats when my gray roots start showing- and let me warn you how fucked up my feet are now because of years of wearing Beatle Boots!) I'm not against image or getting dressed up, I'm just into individuality.  It's the uniform thing that I don't care for. Unless you are lucky enough to have 5 guys with the exact same body type, someone in the band  is not going to look good. I'm Italian, I have curly hair.  Back in the day when I had long hair it was wild & bushy, we called them Guido-fro's (kinda like the MC5 & Dictators had). There was no way in hell I was gonna get that mop to resemble a Beatle haircut.  Of course When I was in the Fuzztones Rudi tried everything to get me to conform to his idea of The Fuzztones image. (Basically he wants everyone in the entire world to look just like he does)...He suggested I iron my hair straight?? lol! I'm not kidding. Of course I didn't, but I hear he made one of the guys that replaced me in the band wear a wig! ...Luckily my new band has 3 girls & 2 guys, so we couldn't really dress the same even if we wanted to! And like I'm going to compete with 3 hot girls in my own band? Nah, I let my fingers do the talking!

• February 24, 2012 6:19 AM CST
    • This is awesome!  You're doing a seriously fantastic job with this site!

kopper said:

OK, it now looks like we'll have plenty of good tracks for not only Vol. 7, but Vol. 8 as well! You can still continue to submit songs for Volumes 8 and, hopefully, 9. I'm also now taking suggestions for name and cover art for Vol. 8. See the GRGPNK Records group "Cover Art" topic for details.

• February 24, 2012 1:51 AM CST
    • Now that all is good to hear! Goes to speak for the spirit of a good comp, that people catch up on rad bands and things get rolling.

It's great that you got together again for that. Shame I can't see you guys there, I've really enjoyed the BEAT KILLERS ... and KKBB, but that goes without say.

John Carlucci said:

I just wanted to take a minute to thank Kopper for doing this. People ARE listening. Kopper included tracks by 2 of my bands on these comps. One band was broken up, the other was just starting. The defunct band (The Beat Killers) got an offer to HEADLINE @ The Cosmic Trip Festival in France, shortly after the comp came out.  So we got back together & we are going to France in May.The song that was used on the comp is also being used as an intro song by an FM radio station in Portland OR.

The Other band, (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang) just signed a deal with Bad Reputation records of France, and our track,  which appeared here first on a hideout comp..."Love Me Kill Me" has been picked to be the Coolest song In The world on Little Steven's Underground Garage for the week of March 4th.  Kudo's to Kopper for the much needed support & exposure. It's helping to spread the word & get things rolling.

• February 23, 2012 6:46 PM CST
    •  I just wanted to take a minute to thank Kopper for doing this. People ARE listening. Kopper included tracks by 2 of my bands on these comps. One band was broken up, the other was just starting. The defunct band (The Beat Killers) got an offer to HEADLINE @ The Cosmic Trip Festival in France, shortly after the comp came out.  So we got back together & we are going to France in May.The song that was used on the comp is also being used as an intro song by an FM radio station in Portland OR.

The Other band, (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang) just signed a deal with Bad Reputation records of France, and our track,  which appeared here first on a hideout comp..."Love Me Kill Me" has been picked to be the Coolest song In The world on Little Steven's Underground Garage for the week of March 4th.  Kudo's to Kopper for the much needed support & exposure. It's helping to spread the word & get things rolling.

• February 24, 2012 4:49 AM CST
    • Alright well i uploaded the two tracks right here so if you or anyone can figure it out by ear

thanks for trying

• February 24, 2012 4:26 AM CST
    • I don't remember the first time i listened to garagepunk podcasts... was the forum first ? don't know... 2007/8 i guess ?

But it was the perfect starter for the day or/and night when i couldn't buy that much records !

I miss Hot Slop !

• February 24, 2012 2:26 AM CST
    • My first was either MAL THURSDAY'S MAL THURSDAY SHOW or FLORIDA ROCKS AGAIN. It's all mangled up in my mind. I was amazed.

Shortly after that I found HOT SLOP, APOCALYSTICK, RNR SUICIDE. TOO GOOD.

Then there was Radioblivion, Savage Kick, Flying Saucer Rock'n'Roll, Sonic Nightmares, Get Drunk Play Records, Hangin on for mercy, Wild Wild Sound, Desperate Hour, + so many more... THE CLASSICS. One long trail of EVERYTHING. My fuses got busted! I thought: "WHAT?? There is even more??" Every show great, with lots of discoveries. Couldn't and wouldn't wanna live without it.

Said it before and I'll say it again: Thanks for it all!

• February 23, 2012 2:40 PM CST
    • Everyone forgets the best and truest New York based 80s garage revival band.... The Optic Nerve.. these guys and the band before them; The Bohemian  Bedrocks, were much better than The Fuzztones (no offence to John)

Shamless plug here.... but check my stuff out for authentic garage revival.

www.paulmessis.moonfruit.com

• February 23, 2012 2:30 PM CST
    • I dig the Beatles... it's as simple as that.

but The Kinks, with their guitar solo on You Really Got Me... that invented garage punk music as we know it.

As a dweller in the moody vein of Garage, I am influenced by The Beatles, Zombies et al.

I like The Beatles from Hamburg up until Magical Mystery Tour (excluding Sgt Pepper minus a song or two)

If the Beatles didn't happen... I dunno what garage music would have been like, I think a great deal of it would have remained Pacific North-West styled.

Paul

• February 23, 2012 1:53 PM CST
    • Un-verified, but funny either way -- supposed quote from Joe Strummer:

Joe "we are going to play a brand new tune"
      [fans clapping and cheering]
      Joe "dont clap, its complete ****e"