Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• February 20, 2012 8:26 PM CST
    • Well said.

Mardy Pune said:

That's really stink news. Go hard Reg, don't let it grind ya down.

• February 20, 2012 8:25 PM CST
    • Our hearts beat out for Reg -

DUBBA DUBBA DUBBA CHUH ! DUBBA  DUBBA DUBBA CHUH ! DUBBA DUBBA DUBBA  CHUH !!!!!

You know , it's still not to late to say something about The Troggs and Reg Presley.

• February 20, 2012 6:27 PM CST
    •  You are super lucky indeed

The Wild Ones said:

We're lucky enough to live in santa cruz and get to see these guys all the time

This band the phantom pains https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Phantom-Pains/229873120404428?re...  that hasnt recorded yet but keep an eye out because they will soon and its going to be awesome.

and we're close to the bay area so we can always see Shannon and the Clams, No Bunny, The Shrouds, The Flakes and a ton of awesome other bands.

• February 20, 2012 12:13 PM CST
    • We're lucky enough to live in santa cruz and get to see these guys all the time

This band the phantom pains https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Phantom-Pains/229873120404428?ref=ts  that hasnt recorded yet but keep an eye out because they will soon and its going to be awesome.

and we're close to the bay area so we can always see Shannon and the Clams, No Bunny, The Shrouds, The Flakes and a ton of awesome other bands.

• February 20, 2012 3:15 PM CST
    • Classic early British Beat look:

• February 20, 2012 11:35 AM CST
    • To be fair the necks on the phantom basses isn't good.

Fang I belive swapped his for a fener p-'s necks

• February 20, 2012 11:30 AM CST
    • Michael, you will be missed by us al ,my heart goes out to those who were close to him.

R.I.P. to a real bass ledgend.

• February 19, 2012 11:00 PM CST
    •  Yes , This is REALLY sad. Like a lot of you , I did see the DKT/MC5 tour in 2004 , which was a Mark Arm and an Evan Dando short of Rock'n'Roll Manna From Heaven  (Arm tried , I'll give him that.).... I met Michael Davis a little earlier than that when he came through and played here with a local band from Arizona (Whose name I've forgotten.). Michael was very friendly and very accessible . We had a nice talk about music and just day to day stuff. He even gave me his (previous) address , well , there was an incentive , as my ex had a sweet collection of Grande Ballroom handbills , and I told him we'd get color copies to him.  I told him I did'nt yet have e- mail , and , he said , "COME ON , JOHN ! JOIN THE 21st CENTURY!".

But Michael's beyond this century , beyond the roof of this world ....Leaving the solar system , leaving , leaving......and we'll miss him.

• February 19, 2012 10:44 PM CST
    • non , non...zhou cannaht fug Whitney unless zhou are Serge Gainsbough. J'mapelle Msr. Serge , I am not Reagan , Zhou are not Gorbachev.

dino d said:

I just heard the news D';

Rick haven't you heard drugs make you immortal, just take them in moderation.

Oh yeah and fuck whitney

• February 19, 2012 5:33 PM CST
    • Really a major bummer

• February 19, 2012 3:42 PM CST
    • Hunting the old mc5 recordings. Damn.

Whitney who? :D

• February 19, 2012 3:16 PM CST
    • I just heard the news D';

Rick haven't you heard drugs make you immortal, just take them in moderation.

Oh yeah and fuck whitney

• February 20, 2012 11:27 AM CST
    • I think its the pckguard

dying slowly said:

the new vox apache reminds me of that

THEE DIRTYBEATS said:

Hi Ben,

Have you checked out the KAPA Minstrel? There are 6 and 12 string models, both with a whammy. The one I play in THEE DIRTYBEATS (see attached photo) is a 1967 KAPA Minstrel 6 string with a whammy bar. I got it on eBay for around $300.

*Great* guitar. KAPA was a tiny musical instrument company near DC in the 60s. They designed the bodies, manufactured them locally, and assembled the finished product using hardware, electronics and necks from Hofner and Harmony. KAPA guitars played reasonably well; more significantly, they were far cheaper than Fenders, Gibsons or Voxes, which probably explains their popularity with garage rock bands of the day.

These days the KAPA Minstrel is appreciated by postrock bands for its unique tone, vibrato system, and generous "third bridge", the stretch of strings between the bridge and tailpiece, from which one can elicit chiming harp-like effects. (e.g. SONIC YOUTH's Lee Ranaldo occasionally uses a 12 string Minstrel: http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/eq/gtr11.html)

-A

THEE DIRTYBEATS - maximum vintage garage
      http://theedirtybeats.bandcamp.com

• February 20, 2012 9:39 AM CST
    • Me too!!! It's the perfect mixture of old farts like myself and enthusiastic young uns that makes it so great!!

Peter Greenberg was also in Barrence Whitfield and The Savages, a wyld R&B combo that kicked major ass. He was only on the first couple of LP's and the first LP was just recently re-released on ACE with extra tracks and they are talking about getting the original lineup back together... We only saw the later BW and the Savages and they were killer! If you haven't already, you'll probably dig BW and The Savages.

Paul said:

Thanks for the info Dave ... it's funny how you can hear a song that sticks in your mind but you can't quite remember the band name, and then all of a sudden something gets posted on this site and all of a sudden not only do I get the band's name, I also get a link to buy the album .. I love this site!!!

• February 19, 2012 8:37 PM CST
    • Thanks for the info Dave ... it's funny how you can hear a song that sticks in your mind but you can't quite remember the band name, and then all of a sudden something gets posted on this site and all of a sudden not only do I get the band's name, I also get a link to buy the album .. I love this site!!!

• February 20, 2012 8:55 AM CST
    • You guys crack me up here!

kopper said:

Thanks! Yeah, I did that show when I was younger and, ya know, much more angstier and stuff. Hot Pockets would've appreciated it, probably. Then. But not now.

Paul said:

I agree with you about the Oblivians ...  also wanted to mention that I stumbled across the archives to your Wayback Machine radio show ... already discovered some bands I was not aware of (like the Peelers) and since I'm from Boston, loved hearing DMZ and LaPeste

• February 20, 2012 8:14 AM CST
    • Man i WROTE A REAL  good reply and lost it.... damned computers.

BAsically you are right man never considered that listen to angry old dudes moan about the bank repossessing the house and the upcoming prostrate gland check ("Stick Your Finger Up My Arse and Wiggle it" ) were actually better song ideas than any 14year old could have the experience to sing about.   You are right, I am wrong.  

Mark George Harrison said:

Why do only teenagers get to have 'angst?'  Try being nearly 48, portly(not fat!) have two kids, a mortgage, bills, a car and a Lambretta to run, a job and then trying to keep up to date with new records and trying to see bands as well! Stick a divorce in the middle of all that as well!! Teenage angst? can I fit in a third wank before falling out of bed and playing xbox all day! Teenage fuckin' angst!! As im over 30 im off to sell all my records and start listening to Phil Collins and Simply Red or whatever shit that masquerades as music that graces the CD players of the over 30s these days!

nobody ever told all the old blues players to give it up when they got old, and there aint any angstier music than the blues! Is angstier even a word, who cares, im old!

smiley face, as im too old to do one on the keyboard! laugh out loud!

• February 20, 2012 7:48 AM CST
    • Thanks! Yeah, I did that show when I was younger and, ya know, much more angstier and stuff. Hot Pockets would've appreciated it, probably. Then. But not now.

Paul said:

I agree with you about the Oblivians ...  also wanted to mention that I stumbled across the archives to your Wayback Machine radio show ... already discovered some bands I was not aware of (like the Peelers) and since I'm from Boston, loved hearing DMZ and LaPeste

• February 20, 2012 5:34 AM CST
    • Haha, thanks fer that!

Why do only teenagers get to have 'angst?'  Try being nearly 48, portly(not fat!) have two kids, a mortgage, bills, a car and a Lambretta to run, a job and then trying to keep up to date with new records and trying to see bands as well! Stick a divorce in the middle of all that as well!! Teenage angst? can I fit in a third wank before falling out of bed and playing xbox all day! Teenage fuckin' angst!! As im over 30 im off to sell all my records and start listening to Phil Collins and Simply Red or whatever shit that masquerades as music that graces the CD players of the over 30s these days!

nobody ever told all the old blues players to give it up when they got old, and there aint any angstier music than the blues! Is angstier even a word, who cares, im old!

• February 20, 2012 5:16 AM CST
    • Why do only teenagers get to have 'angst?'  Try being nearly 48, portly(not fat!) have two kids, a mortgage, bills, a car and a Lambretta to run, a job and then trying to keep up to date with new records and trying to see bands as well! Stick a divorce in the middle of all that as well!! Teenage angst? can I fit in a third wank before falling out of bed and playing xbox all day! Teenage fuckin' angst!! As im over 30 im off to sell all my records and start listening to Phil Collins and Simply Red or whatever shit that masquerades as music that graces the CD players of the over 30s these days!

• February 19, 2012 9:07 PM CST
    • I agree with you about the Oblivians ...  also wanted to mention that I stumbled across the archives to your Wayback Machine radio show ... already discovered some bands I was not aware of (like the Peelers) and since I'm from Boston, loved hearing DMZ and LaPeste

• February 20, 2012 12:58 AM CST
    • OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! If someone told Gelato Beijing , formerly of The Dead Kennedys , that he was not "P.C." , THERE'D BE HELL TO PAY.

I heard Bobby Brown WENT down to his ex-wife's funeral and left early to do a show. We should all live to , let's just say ,  AID in their spouses' deterioration (As for either one's music , SUCKS. But , you knew that.) , and answer to no one when we bail on their funeral before millions viewing it on TV...Or , Jesse Jackson , reading a magazine.
       I had a friend in Jr. High , we would act out the words to "TITTIES AND BEER" before Art class. Who would have guessed that voice , like Screamin' Jay Hawkins with two sets of balls, was really .....Terry Bozzio. 
      Ben Simon said:

Kinky Friedman - They Ain't Makin' Jews Like Jesus Anymore

Frank Zappa - Bobby Brown (Goes Down), Jewish Princess, Titties & Beer, Dinah Moe Humm, Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?, Fembot in a Wet T-Shirt

The Vandals - Dachau Cabana

Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper - She's Vibrator Dependent

Weird Al Yankovic - Christmas at Ground Zero

Fishbone - Party at Ground Zero, Lyin' Ass Bitch

The Dead Milkmen - Instant Club Hit (You'll Dance to Anything) uses the word "artfags" and Bitchin' Camaro references AIDS.

The Afghan Whigs - Retarded

Too many Dead Kennedys songs to name...

• February 19, 2012 5:27 PM CST
    • people use the word 'spazz' all the time, what's it's alternate, over-the-side of world meaning?

• February 19, 2012 3:12 PM CST
    • Senior moment MH(good initials by the way) seeing as I posted on the same page!

Mike Humsgreen said:

Speak for yourself, check out the first page of this thread! My Neighbours Baby might be the harshest of their songs though, or Lipstick?

Cant believe we've all forgotten Guttermouth! loads of songs but the all-time favourite has to be 'mother fucked a donkey down in Mexico..................'