Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• October 12, 2011 12:18 PM CDT
    • i never get tired of listening to Rock'n'Roll Suicide! never heard an episode i didn't like..... replay old ones all the time cuz theyre just too infrequent! speaking of infrequent, when're we gonna have a new episode of Noize Annoize kopper?????

• October 12, 2011 12:15 PM CDT
    • The true 'scores' are getting fewer and farther between. The most recent one I had was finding Canadian guitarist Bob Regan's instrumental 45 'Tarantula/Highland Lassie' at the local thrift for 25 cents.

• October 12, 2011 12:15 PM CDT
    • Basement 5,  Suicide,  Simply Saucers,   Destroy All Monsters,  Chrome, Throbbing Gristle, The Pop Group,  Swell Maps, P.I.L.,  The Residents, Swans.

• October 12, 2011 12:03 PM CDT
    • Too many to mention, but usually it takes a long time before anyone mentions Section 25. Not this time though...

• October 12, 2011 10:05 AM CDT
    • The Fall, nuff said!!!!!!! Mark E. Smith is a genius, check them out.  They influenced Joy Division and all the bands you have listed.

• October 12, 2011 9:59 AM CDT
    • Joy Division,Bauhaus, Mission UK, Love and Rockets and Lords of the New Church, Jesus and Mary Chain, Violent Femmes.

• October 12, 2011 12:01 PM CDT
    • our favorite japanese shit is the stalin for sure,not a garage band,but an amazing punk act

and thee bat for sure

• October 12, 2011 11:09 AM CDT
    • I DJ in Japan with a bunch of locals cats and a very nice one called MEG THE EYEBALL played THE GIRLS at a recent gig! It was a note for note version of "Cherry Bomb" but with Japanese lyrics... lo and behold I found it on Youtube!

Suzanne Walter said:

Killer fucking thread, and maybe you can help me. There's a great Japanese girl-garage-band called The Girls. I can't find them anywhere except to stumble on them occassionally, cross-referenced in Japanese, which is understandable I just don't read Japanese and am never sure if I'm looking at the right band. I would like to buy the vinyl straight from the label, if I could find them. Shonen Knife, Pinky Piglets, Buffalo Daughter and Pizzacato Five are all bands I enjoy.

• October 12, 2011 9:27 AM CDT
    • Very cool!  I didn't know about her.  "Crying In A Storm" which I know is Maria Anzai's version. :/

http://youtu.be/0VTI1-B8Fs4

I saw Yuzo Kayama on a couple TV programs some months ago, and he said that he plays video game "Resident Evil" series recently!

The Angry Breed said:

Emy Jackson!

• October 12, 2011 4:14 AM CDT
    • I would recomend the three Tsunami Rock and Roll compilations for contemporary Japanese garage rock.

• October 12, 2011 3:07 AM CDT
    • In addition to Emy Jackson and Japanese girl group sounds, I can really recommend a great and readily available comp on Ace Records called Nippon Girls:

John Battles said:

But , before even that , there was the Elecki movement ,fronted by Guitarist , Singer , Composer and Arranger , Yuzo Kayawa.

Yeah, Yuzo Kayama (and Takeshi Terauchi!) and the whole mid 60's Japanese Eleki boom were great!

Here's Kayama with his famous "Black Sand Beach" from a 1966 live performance:

And here's the song again in the 1965 Eleki No Wakadaisho movie (notice Takeshi Terauchi guest appearing second from left, Kayama to the right of him):

• October 12, 2011 11:50 AM CDT
    • I've always wanted to know where Jeffrey Lee Pierce was buried too. Anyone know ?

~T

• October 12, 2011 2:44 AM CDT
    • Thanks for the link!

Sounds like Lux received a sweet service...

kopper said:

I could never find any information on his burial (or even if he was buried or cremated or whatever), but a report of Lux's memorial ceremony, agreed to by Ivy, was posted for fans by long-time friend Jonny Whiteside on the blog of LA Weekly and later in the print edition. Click the link below to read it (it's great):

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2009/03/lux_interiors_astr...

• October 12, 2011 9:49 AM CDT
    • I beg to differ...... people are just as quick to toss around the "surf" label these days as "garage"..... read some reviews of indie rock bands like the Wavves, Best Coast, Surfer Blood, Sundelles, Beach Fossils..... just cuz a band uses reverb and has tunes about the beach doesn't make it "surf" music. ugh.

TeenFink said:

by the way, i totally get the joke about playing surf music. good one! it's ironic how garage & surf were so connected or intertwined and almost interchangeable 10-20 years ago, but now you rarely ever hear anyone talking about surf in the "garage scene" or whatever. surf got left out.

• October 12, 2011 9:38 AM CDT
    • thank you for explaining the joke. this is beginning to feel like an episode of THE BIG GARAGE THEORY.

TeenFink said:

"garage rock" starting becoming trendy about 10 years ago with bands like The Hives and The Strokes hitting the mainstream. Then we had The Black Keys and The White Stripes. After that, The Black Lips, and to a lesser extent, King Khan, Mark Sultan/BBQ, The (UK) Horrors, and others. and no one's mentioned Little Steven's Underground Garage, which also helped make the genre suddenly a LOT more accessible. suddenly you saw the words "garage rock" everywhere, whether bands using the term actually fit the traditional definitions of the genre or not (ahem, The Strokes!). all of this contributed to it. that doesn't mean that a lot of it hasn't remained underground... it has. but this scene has changed considerably over the last decade than where it was at in the '90s. that's obvious.

by the way, i totally get the joke about playing surf music. good one! it's ironic how garage & surf were so connected or intertwined and almost interchangeable 10-20 years ago, but now you rarely ever hear anyone talking about surf in the "garage scene" or whatever. surf got left out.

• October 12, 2011 9:26 AM CDT
    • "garage rock" starting becoming trendy about 10 years ago with bands like The Hives and The Strokes hitting the mainstream. Then we had The Black Keys and The White Stripes. After that, The Black Lips, and to a lesser extent, King Khan, Mark Sultan/BBQ, The (UK) Horrors, and others. and no one's mentioned Little Steven's Underground Garage, which also helped make the genre suddenly a LOT more accessible. suddenly you saw the words "garage rock" everywhere, whether bands using the term actually fit the traditional definitions of the genre or not (ahem, The Strokes!). all of this contributed to it. that doesn't mean that a lot of it hasn't remained underground... it has. but this scene has changed considerably over the last decade than where it was at in the '90s. that's obvious.

• October 12, 2011 9:11 AM CDT
    • explain the joke please. why would it be a joke to play surf music? yes i am not kidding. how is that a joke?

kopper said:

Uh, yeah, that's what he just said, and I quote, "it was a joke..."

DEPRAVOS DE LA MOUR said:

WHAT WAS A JOKE? THAT YOU PLAY SURF MUSIC?

• October 12, 2011 9:06 AM CDT
    • Uh, yeah, that's what he just said, and I quote, "it was a joke..."

WHAT WAS A JOKE? THAT YOU PLAY SURF MUSIC?

• October 12, 2011 8:54 AM CDT
    • WHAT WAS A JOKE? THAT YOU PLAY SURF MUSIC? we must be too stupid for this discussion. very little here makes any sense. what will everybody do if they decide that garage is trendy? send angry tweets to the twats who would dare to enjoy "our" music for all the wrong reasons? tried very hard not to judge the sheer ridiculousness of the entire "discussion" but this is really about as pointless as it gets. not to mention the use of a word like "trendy". if you only want "pure" listeners then you better shut it down because it will get pretty lonely pretty quick. even if somebody likes this stuff for a short time and then moves on to post post post electro fucko it will still be good for the scene because they will bring someone else here who may become a lasting fan. don't ever make fun of other people for attempting to share your interests.

• October 12, 2011 6:26 AM CDT
    • it was a joke...

it must be wonderful to know what you play. we have no idea what we are doing. that is why we are also on the TUVIAN THROAT SINGING HIDEOUT.
      Pat said:
      I don't care i play "Surf" !

• October 12, 2011 9:34 AM CDT
    • Big Black Car - Big Star

Little GTO - the Beach Boys, Alex Chilton

• October 12, 2011 7:30 AM CDT
    • Teengenerate - My GTO

The Mummies - Red Cobra #9

• October 12, 2011 5:50 AM CDT
    • Rudy Thacker & the Stringbusters - Black Train (on Lux & Ivy's Vol. 8).  One of my favorite rockabilly/country tunes ever.

• October 12, 2011 2:34 AM CDT
    • Good video there!

Someone tell me again those guys don't know how to kick ass anymore, eh?

kopper said:

Just came across this video on YouTube and remembered the discussion topic here...

• October 12, 2011 2:33 AM CDT
    • AWESOME

Some day I'll make it down to Texas...