Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• September 7, 2011 1:42 PM CDT
    • Hi, Zane - 

That's some cool history. Thanks for giving me a glimpse of Detroit that I was never able to experience (I was born in '77, so I probably missed out on the scene, by a long shot, you were part of).

I have played in many bands over the years, but the main ones I'm in now I've had for several years. My main two are Las Drogas (a two-piece, garage-a-billy/primitive/blues type band) and The Devil Elvis Show (an Elvis tribute band that plays punked up Elvis tunes). The bassist for Gore Gore Girls and Gorevette happens to be our bassist, too.

A couple other bands of mine you might find interesting (although basically defunct) are Dirty Money, Electromags (which has a profile on this site), Sunday Painters, and Sin Embargo.  There are a few other bands I could list, but that is more than enough for now.

I gotta run, but I would love to hear more about what you have to say. Particularly, why you love Detroit so much (you just don't hear that much anymore, considering it is one of the most depressed cities around). I love it, too.

take care, 

KK

• September 7, 2011 1:17 PM CDT
    • Great pictures!  Puts things in perspective... I think Iggy and Alice were on the same wavelength at the time. Spurred on by Jim Morrison. I think Iggy's style became more of the punk model of 70s-80s

• September 7, 2011 9:25 AM CDT
    • Awesome.  Thanks Kopper!!

• September 7, 2011 5:39 AM CDT
    • Classic cool photos!!!

• September 6, 2011 11:13 PM CDT
    • I bet nobody ditched school THAT day.

• September 6, 2011 10:45 PM CDT
    • Uber bad-ass.

• September 7, 2011 1:11 PM CDT
    • why would you sell a revererocket

• September 7, 2011 9:20 AM CDT
    • I have a Danelectro Mod, and I love it. Also have a cheap Epiphone Les Paul Jr. and it's got great tone. Used to have an Ampeg Reverberocket amp, but I sold it to buy a mixer for podcasting. That thing would scream. Nice reverb, too.

Eastwood Guitars has some nice ones, too. Check 'em out: http://www.eastwoodguitars.com

• September 7, 2011 2:07 AM CDT
    • delux but no black stripe

dying slowly said:

delux or standard

Luke Greenwood said:
      i have a 59 3p airline in white and it is a very good guitar

dying slowly said:
      true i do like the 3p airline

Sonic Reverends said:
      For that kind of money, you could go for a walk on Denmark Street in London and search for a nice vintage guitar. :) Honestly, as far as Fenders go, nothing beats a Standard Telecaster. That bridge pickup will give you fantastic tone. But you could also consider other guitars: Danelectro (dirt-cheap, great looks and wonderful tone), Eastwood (specially the Airline reissues), Italia Guitars and even Epiphone. And don't forget that a huge part of your sound comes from your amp.

• September 7, 2011 12:03 PM CDT
    • Venus Fly Trap on Girl Band from France..... Amazing

Hear Her Here

• September 7, 2011 11:26 AM CDT
    • I don't know man I feel like the biggest loser in the world when I tell people what I like. (Not that I care...) I tell people and I get the whole O_O look or the awkward, "Ooohhh''. Sometimes people even have the nerve to say they listen to it all the time and clearly don't. I definitely agree with Kop on what he said earlier. I think to a degree it is trendy for car comercials and stuff like that...and there are some bands that definitely improperly label themselves as Garage or whatever. I don't know why that is, but then again some people call Metal Rock 'n' Roll and I definitely couldn't agree less.

On a side note: I do think it could go big in a real and honest way. I think this because there are a ton of people who can't stand rap or techno..and that's all you have a choice to dance to these days. I find that pure Rock 'n Roll is quite dancable and could make a huge comeback if done by the right bands, with the right DJ's, and the right people starting it.

• September 7, 2011 10:54 AM CDT
    • The words "melody driven" always give it away.  Also describing a band as having a gazillion influences that are "blended" to produce a certain (insert adjective here) sound. Makes me hesitant to spend money on music fests, especially when there is not much to spare.

• September 7, 2011 9:48 AM CDT
    • When i spin records here in north germany, i can count the people who dig it on one hand. Most know the Sonics, but if i come with 'Back from the Grave' Stuff and others they never hearded before they are not that interested.

I think it's just lots of people do not know how to handle new impressions and are simply not interested to change because it is much easier to be as you where.

I actually try forcing them to listen to that kind of music because it's me who's the DJ :D But seriously i don't stop to spread Garage as i understand it till i'm rid of it! A man on a mission UAhhhhh!

...ah, jep i think it's not trendy around here :)

• September 7, 2011 9:12 AM CDT
    • Wow don't even start with indie. That description got killed in the 2000's... 

Strokes are coming with new record that's correct. but I think fans and recordcompanies don't give a shit. this band is dead. (was always dead)

Enough about Strokes.. I first noticed that "garage" was going to be trend when I saw this film Scott Pilgrim VS The World. Scott's band Sex O Bomb sounds very rough and with nice fuzz. I actually really like it. I think it's composed by Beck.. Black Lips got also tune in the film. I thought it was very cool at the time bringing the garage to the people who dosent search in music. But now I have other ideas when some new bands are using this word Garage" again again and playing stuff sounding like Artic Monkeys or Libertines.. Fuck off you killed the word "indie" don't kill "Garage"..

• September 7, 2011 4:00 AM CDT
    • Yeah it's a trend, it's almost as though it's following "indie" being a trend, perhaps they see it as helping differentiate themselves from the mass of "indie" ever so slightly to put "garage rock influenced" in their sound description. And "indie" too, remember when "indie" used to describe independent? Now I don't know what it means, seems to be more of an aesthetic than anything else these days, hopefully this is not the beginning of garage becoming the same thing but I fear that it is... And yeah, never liked the Strokes, bland and shit boring...

• September 7, 2011 10:38 AM CDT
    • URBAN JUNIOR ROCKS!

• September 7, 2011 8:47 AM CDT
    • Th' Flyin' Saucers from Columbus, Ohio ...

• September 7, 2011 9:38 AM CDT
    • Interesting, but we are from Germany :)

• September 7, 2011 8:57 AM CDT
    • The guys from the Future of Music Coalition are trying to find out how current U.S.-based bands/musicians are making money. This survey is specifically geared for band people here in the USA, so if you're not in a band (like me, for example) or live outside the U.S., then it's not for you... But check it out and complete it. It should only take a few minutes:

http://futureofmusic.org/article/research/artist-revenue-streams

How do you make Money from Music?

As one component of our Artists Revenue Streams project, FMC is conducting an online survey from Sept 6 - Oct 28, 2011 to gather crucial information about the ways that US-based musicians and composers are currently generating income from songs, recordings or performances, and how this has changed over the past five years.

FMC urges US-based musicians and composers who are 18 years of age or older to participate in this online survey. Your participation is both voluntary and anonymous. There are no questions that identify you as an individual, and your data will be aggregated with thousands of other musicians.

By participating in this survey, you are contributing to something much bigger than simply providing us with some information about your life and musical work; the results will provide a rich snapshot of the complex nature of being a musician in the 21st century.

We will be sharing the data with organizations, advocates and musicians nationwide in 2012, and it will help us to ensure that policymakers and consumers understand the financial realities of musicians today.

Click here to take the online survey now

• September 7, 2011 9:37 AM CDT
    • Can you come to my home??? :D

Ben Simon said:

Does anyone know the tab to their instrumental "Test Drive" that was on Children of Nuggets?

• September 7, 2011 1:26 AM CDT
    • Does anyone know the tab to their instrumental "Test Drive" that was on Children of Nuggets?

• September 7, 2011 6:08 AM CDT
    • The one that sticks in my head was the track "crackin up" by The Wig. Came off an LP called 'The Wig Live at the Jade Room"  Thats what got me hooked on all the 60's garage/psych stuff back in the early 80's.

• September 7, 2011 2:17 AM CDT
    • i don't believe there is no Banana Splits in this thread 

• September 7, 2011 1:27 AM CDT
    • Wow, two Bo Diddley covers on one single. I need to check that out.

• September 7, 2011 1:24 AM CDT
    • I really like "Trick Bag!" I have it on the Mojo garage compilation "Instant Garage."