Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• August 31, 2011 9:51 AM CDT
    • Mark Sultan, Quintron, Bloodshot Bill, Hasil... that's a tough one.

• August 31, 2011 9:45 AM CDT
    • Don't be embarrassed for early episodes - I had a great weekend starting at the beginning - as Paul Weller once wrote "that's entertainment".

• August 31, 2011 9:42 AM CDT
    • Ha, thanks... I think. ;) I'm totally embarrassed when I listen to my early episodes of Primordial Ooze or Savage Kick. I read from a script half the time and tried to make them sound too perfect. Savage Kick #8, I think it was, was especially goofy as I really laid on the hardboiled detective slang pretty thick. I think Noise Annoys was a much better show. More natural and with less yammering on about bands and labels and all that. I wish I had more time to do more of them, but life gets in the way of living some times, ya know? Maybe some day. If and when I bring it back, I'm thinking of limiting the announcement breaks even more, so that it's almost completely DJ-free (except for the occasional interruption to remind you what you're listening to). I might try that out and see how it goes.

As for the beginning, there really isn't much of a story. We just decided to do it (with the encouragement of my friend, Bill Streeter)... and for several months there were flying by the seat of our pants (those were the "GaragePunk Pirate Radio" days, remember?). I recorded my first few episodes at KDHX, where I was still doing The Wayback Machine, since I hadn't yet figured out my home recording setup. That was awkward (recording it in the production studio at KDHX). Subsequent episodes of Savage Kick were recorded at home using Audacity, then, finally, GarageBand.

If you want to hear me in a much more *natural* state, the Wayback episodes are probably better, because they were all recorded live with all the imperfections that naturally come with doing live radio. There are a couple hundred or so episodes on the Wayback Machine site that you can listen to; just click the "Audio" category from the menu on the right. I've been ripping CD-R and tape recordings of some of the episodes and putting them up, and I still have a bunch to do (it's an ongoing project).

By the way, here's the link to the earlier episodes of the podcasts on the old GaragePunk.com blog:

http://www.garagepunk.com/category/podcast/

• August 31, 2011 9:25 AM CDT
    • shark's in the water, our shark.

How was that very first time you immersed yourself in a GaragePunk podcast ?

I wouldn't mind hearing Kopper's story of that very first night he launched from the man himself.

I sat down this extended Hurricane Irene weekend (office w/o power Monday/Tues so had free time) and listened to the first 30 or so episodes of Savage Kick and it reminded me of the excitement and power of finding this site for the very first time.  My very first GP podcast experience was stumbling into this site and Flying Saucer Rock & Roll #6.  This is back when the most recent podcast was the first thing you saw when coming here.  This and the podcasts on that first page changed everything for me.

Take time some long weekend, pick a podcast, start at the beginning, and see how the creator evolved over time or remind yourself of songs you forgot about.  Pure fun.  And a chance to hear Count Koppula (2007 Halloween for those interested). 

• August 31, 2011 9:40 AM CDT
    • THE HOLLOWS:)

• August 31, 2011 9:35 AM CDT
    • I Like a lot of Montreal Bands:
      Demons Claws,
      King Khan
      BBQ
      Sexerinos ( having a reunion)
      Mark Sultan
      Mystery Girls
      Light Bulb Alley ( ha ha)
      Sunday Sinners

Also Toronto : Deadly Snakes

Detroit: Detroit Cobras

There is lots more JUST FROM THE TOP OF MY MIND

Love all the Podcasts awesome!!!! Check them out!!!

• August 31, 2011 9:34 AM CDT
    • MARY JANE :)

• August 31, 2011 9:25 AM CDT
    • I always find it humorous when people post their own stuff in the 3rd person. Just admit it's you! You wouldn't be the first to do that, ya know.

BTW, it's not bad... kinda reminds me of Dead Moon and/or Pierced Arrows (another couple bands Duke or anyone else should check out... they have a direct link to '60s garage, too, vie Fred Cole [who was in the Lords/The Weeds/Lollipop Shoppe] — How many other current bands can say that?)

Natalie Pryce said:

Really new band but with a great sound:

• August 31, 2011 9:30 AM CDT
    • All the little kids growing up in the skids are going:

Cleveland Sucks.....Cleveland Sucks.....Cleveland Sucks, Cleveland Sucks. (come on sing it with me)

• August 31, 2011 8:05 AM CDT
    • He's coming to Pittsburgh on Oct. 27, and I'm going to see him, so that's why I'm asking.  I'm not a huge fan of Mott the Hoople, but I do like their glam era albums, i.e. "Dudes," "Mott," and "The Hoople," and I do have his first solo album.  I really like his  original version of "Once Bitten, Twice Shy."

I'm also going to Cleveland on Oct. 7 to see Michael Monroe of Hanoi Rocks/Demolition 23.  A local punk band that I'm friends with are opening for him.  

Hopefully, both artists will play a smattering of songs from their previous bands.

• August 31, 2011 9:14 AM CDT
    • The spring king is not a proper spring reverb. It is a digital pedal. The spring that is in it is only for the 'crashpad' feature.

• August 31, 2011 8:21 AM CDT
    • Very Cool!  I'll have to check that out!

• August 31, 2011 3:37 AM CDT
    • Thanks Steve, that share site will be useful as I don't get time at work to do much searching!

I've subscribed to the GaragePunk Hideout comp so I gues you'll work out my profile!!!

I'll have to work on MY lists now!!

thanks again Steve

• August 31, 2011 3:24 AM CDT
    • in the good old days like the '60s and '80s garage was what it was beacause the axes (the much neglected fender jaguar a prime example), the amps (silvertone 1483 anyone?) and your pedals (like the beautiful mosrite fuzzrite) where cheap as hell, what happened?

• August 31, 2011 3:00 AM CDT
    • it's because you don't have a fixie...

Edroth said:

From what I seem to be hearing... NY ain't to much of a happenin' place these days. Wich is a shame and kinda perculiar. Guess the lame asses have taken over the city?

• August 31, 2011 1:33 AM CDT
    • From what I seem to be hearing... NY ain't to much of a happenin' place these days. Wich is a shame and kinda perculiar. Guess the lame asses have taken over the city?

• August 31, 2011 1:40 AM CDT
    • The constant 'drummer problem' I've noticed, is the 'can't remember wich song is wich by the title only'. The not showing up, or just can't, or don't feel like syndrome is wide spread.

• August 31, 2011 1:00 AM CDT
    • I was a student at Moravian College when I saw for the first time the Creatures and Mark Smith at the Funhouse. Most of the people there remember me as "Thanos", friend of Blythe Evans and Yanni Kakoulas. Mark Smith's music and style was my first experience with garage rock and psychedelic rock in general. His music and persona will remain an influence for the rest of my life as a music composer. Thank you Mark, I will always remember you!

• August 30, 2011 11:09 PM CDT
    • Hi, Zane - 

I live near Detroit in a city called Ypsilanti (which is a small college town attached to Ann Arbor). Detroit is about a 30 minute drive away, but our "region" is always called the "greater Detroit area" because we are all lumped together in the same "scenes". 

I am not sure how healthy or how musically active Niagara is, but she still has a presence, mostly in the visual arts scene. Like I said, it shouldn't be too difficult to find out more about her current status on the web. 

Bookies is still around, but not the way you remember it (and it isn't the same version: it is a new construction that is pretty nice, but not the same old club; people still speak fondly of the "legendary" Bookie's; here is a link to the new one: http://www.bookiesbar.com/, it is more of a sports bar and pretty douche-y. This is the one you are thinking of: http://www.bookiesclub870.com/)

I play in bands and stuff but I am not the KK of Trudi and KK. Would you mind explaining the story there?

thanks, great chatting with you, 

KK

Zane Arillotta said:

Thanks for responding to my question about Destroy All Monsters! I'm so glad to hear Niagara is doing well and is still active on the scene. She was SO thin back then we were always waiting for her to just fall over... I haven't been to Detroit in years but I always loved it. I know it's kinda farfetched but the club "Bookies" wouldn't happen to still be there would it? Also, do you live in Detroit or somewhere else? I only ask because of your name KK. Just thought you might be the K.K. of Trudi and K.K......

• August 30, 2011 10:52 PM CDT
    • "Warning" by The Humans on Back From the Grave V...

• August 30, 2011 6:43 PM CDT
    • Wow! Kopper really hit the nail on the head with all those bands!!! I've never heard of Magazine so I'll have to check them out.

I totally still enjoy some of that old goth-y stuff. I booked a show with Peter Murphy a few months ago and he was awesome. It was so great to see some of the old Bauhaus classics live.

• August 30, 2011 6:35 PM CDT
    • uhh Rip Offs!

• August 30, 2011 5:36 PM CDT
    • the gories version is killer