Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• August 17, 2011 7:53 AM CDT
    • Broken image link.

• August 17, 2011 4:31 AM CDT
    • The Chasms - Alchemical Postcards - album of the year, I reckon.

Not yet released, but you can hear the first track, the mighty  'The Occult Soul Review', on my show on Dandelion Radio all month....

Head to The Chasms website to find out more

• August 16, 2011 8:27 PM CDT
    • Mondo Ray
      Hypnotized
      Windian Records

Last spring Mondo Ray contributed a track to It Came from the Hideout- The Best of the Garage Punk Hideout Vol. 1 and impressed with Riverboat Gamblers-esque  "Brush Your Tits". Raucous, melodic punk from Munich, Germany that proves Punk Rock is Nicht Tot! (Not dead).
      A funny thing happened with the arrival of Hypnotized. Instead of frenetic melodic punk, the boys of Mondo Ray put out an even more melodic, new wave-ish power pop single. Falling somewhere between Gentlemen Jesse and His men and the Carbonas. "Hypnotized" is advertised as sugary sweet west coast power pop, but if Plimsouls doesn't run through your mind then you don't know your Power Pop. Mondo Ray's song clearly was inspired by the Plimsouls own "Hypnotized" but clearly this is more vibrant and the sum of it's musical inspiration. No dreamy jangly guitars here. The band back the single with the excellent post punk meets power pop "Nothing". The laid back vibe of the song, plucking rhythms,  and catchy chorus is infectious.

• August 16, 2011 10:17 AM CDT
    • Dead Boy - Great song. Perfect for the incidental music.

Kopper - Yeah, if we get into wrestling songs this could be a series in and of itself.

MikeL - I might be able to get away with Elton. Especially since its one of the better EJ songs 

• August 16, 2011 9:53 AM CDT
    • Not garage, but "Theme of Rikiishi" from OST of a Japanese boxing anime "Ashita no Joe" is very cool!  Rikiishi was a rival of Joe.

• August 16, 2011 7:47 AM CDT
    • "Boys Will Be Boys" by Manda and the Marbles.  And I still like "Saturday Night's All Right for Fighting" by Elton John.

• August 16, 2011 7:41 AM CDT
    • I thought about suggesting a bunch of rasslin' (wrestling) songs like "The Crusher," but that's a pretty long list in an of itself and might be good for a completely separate episode.

• August 16, 2011 7:38 AM CDT
    • Rezillos version is much better, though. ;)

Andrew Malcolm said:

And I bet you thought this was a Rezillos song... WRONG, try Fleetwood Mac!!!

• August 16, 2011 7:20 AM CDT
    • Now THIS is what I'm talking about. Thanks to everyone who recommended a song. I'll be sure to credit you as the source when this somes out at the end of Sept! Keep 'em coming!

Andrew - who would have thought that Fleetwood Mac had it in 'em..this version is also left off the reissue of the 1971 release

• August 15, 2011 3:17 PM CDT
    • And I bet you thought this was a Rezillos song... WRONG, try Fleetwood Mac!!!

• August 15, 2011 2:52 PM CDT
    • "Biff Bang Pow" by the Creation

• August 15, 2011 2:41 PM CDT
    • The Novas - "the Crusher"

• August 15, 2011 2:09 PM CDT
    • The new Barrence Whitfield single, "Willie Meehan," is about the famed heavyset boxer. It rocks like hell, too.

• August 15, 2011 1:48 PM CDT
    • OK, they're instros, but ya gotta include "Rumble" or "Street Fighter" by Link Wray. ;)

Oh, and "I'm Gonna Punch You in the Face" by the Child Molesters.

• August 16, 2011 12:56 PM CDT
    • All Punk Rods off Lookout!

• August 16, 2011 10:05 AM CDT
    • Estrus-Spicy Sizzlers. Blood Red-Hot Rods to Hell. Ace-That's Swift. Gema-Talkin' Trash Lookey Dookey.

• August 16, 2011 11:54 AM CDT
    • You fucked up, Fuckup -- but not the show. Loved the bluegrass, especially Grandpa Jones! "Bringing Mary Home" is a good one too. That same basic "urban legend" is the basis for that old Dickie Lee song "Laurie."

• August 16, 2011 11:41 AM CDT
    • Oh wow! Thanks Steve! I tried to embed a player before and it only gave me problems, so I really appreciate this! Hope you liked the show! By the way, I think you're really going to like the next one!

• August 16, 2011 2:45 AM CDT
    • Hey Joey, I took the liberty of doing this to make it easier for fans to find.

• August 16, 2011 8:31 AM CDT
    • here's two seemingly innocent songs but remember that the guys singing them are fucking paedos

je suis un rock star  - Bill "young stuff" Wyman

Do You Wanna Be In My Gang - "Up The" Gary Glitter

makes me gag just thinking about it

There are literally thousands of anti women songs out there in shit - hop land, to the point of total boredom

My personal fave and I am NOT calling Lemmy a kiddy fiddler,(unlike those two shitheel creeps above) is JAILBAIT by MOTORHEAD. VIBRATOR is a very funny song too...

You know this kinda forum could get folk into some serious trouble ha ha ha 

• August 16, 2011 7:55 AM CDT
    • This. They're still one of my faves, though!

kopper said:

Geeze, how about anything by the Devil Dogs!!

• August 15, 2011 10:13 PM CDT
    • Good picks so far. For some reason I've always thought Ray Price's voice is just perfect twang on "Crazy Arms". Lefty Frizzel's got a hell of twang too. For some younger guys I'd say Dwight Yoakam and Wayne "The Train" Hancock have got it.

• August 15, 2011 5:26 PM CDT
    • Wow didn't know that, gotta find that episode.

Cherry Cannoli said:

From Wikipedia: "In 2002 Lux Interior performed the voice of a character on SpongeBob SquarePants - the lead singer of an all-bird rock band called the Bird Brains.[7] SpongeBob voice Tom Kenny attended his memorial ceremony."