Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 13, 2013 1:08 AM CST
    • Well , sad but true , America was'nt ready for a racialy mixed Rock group. After Arthur's friend , and two - time collaborator , Jimi Hendrix , broke the color bar(With a White rhythm section , no less.) , things started to open up , and you had bands like Sly and The Family Stone reaching a multiracial audience.....But , Arthur refused to tour. They played New York ONCE , I read. Of course , he toured with Hendrix in Europe , in 1970 , but , that was a totally different version of Love (Albeit underrated.).

dave said:

Just checked out some clips, fantastic. Can't wait to see it.

Like James Brown, he got a raw deal to set an example.

Love should be as famous as the Beatles.

• January 12, 2013 6:15 PM CST
    • Just checked out some clips, fantastic. Can't wait to see it.

Like James Brown, he got a raw deal to set an example.

Love should be as famous as the Beatles.

• January 12, 2013 7:18 PM CST
    • Please ,  as a resident in Wilco's home town , let's not call Wilko Johnson "Wilco".

Jeff Tweedy was always a nice guy in the times I briefly met him , but Wilco's music was obsolete , getting out of the starting gate. WILKO's music will outlive us all....That said , and I don't mean to be critical . We have Wilco coming out of our ears like you have Morrissey coming out of yours.  MY MISTAKE , WE ALL HAVE MORRISSEY COMING OUT OF OUR EARS !!!!  DR. FEELGOOD TOURED THE STATES AT LEAST TWICE , BUT , THEY NEVER PICKED UP ANY STEAM AROUND HERE , EVEN WITH THE "PUNK" CROWD , THO' A FEW ROCK ZINES WROTE THEM UP.  Speaking of early Dr. Feelgood , that's them backing Heinz in the "1972 (Wembley ) Rock'n'Roll Show" film.

• January 12, 2013 6:48 PM CST
    • Lets face it. Wot Dr Feelgood would ya really pay good money to have the chance to see? Canvey Island 73 74 or London Soho sleazy backroom 2009? Wheres ma Bellbottoms? I'm off back to when Great Britains questionable political stance fuelled one of the greatest maverick music movements and genres the country's ever witnessed. Pre Thatcher madness. Luuuuverly! Wilco Johnson! Gentleman!

• January 12, 2013 5:52 PM CST
    • Well , as you know , they're really hard - pressed to let go of bands that are considered institutions in England (As The Feelgoods most assuredly are.). By rights , the book should have been closed on the Dr. Feelgood saga when Lee Brilleaux died. However , I heard some lineups that followed (And at least featured people who served under Lee , if not John , John , nor JOHN (That's a Dr. Feelgoodjoke.) ) were'nt bad. Gypie Mayo even spoke highly of the early post - Brilleaux lineup , which featured this young guy with a LOTTA 'tood that James Porter and I saw fronting a version of The Animals . We both looked at each other and said "WHY is'nt this guy Lee Brilleaux's successor?" - if he had to have one. IN ABOUT A YEAR or two, HE WAS.

Still , today , why bother? Unless the surviving memebers want to do a benefit for Wilko , as they should.
      Trash Freak said:

I'm with you there Barty. Though I've not seen 'em... There was no way I was payin £18 to see a band with Zero original members!

sideshow Barty said:

and seeing as my 10 cents aint worth jack shit,here it is anyway.....dont bother with the current touring' dr feelgood'llp

• January 12, 2013 2:33 PM CST
    • I'm with you there Barty. Though I've not seen 'em... There was no way I was payin £18 to see a band with Zero original members!

sideshow Barty said:

and seeing as my 10 cents aint worth jack shit,here it is anyway.....dont bother with the current touring' dr feelgood'llp

• January 12, 2013 1:10 PM CST
    • and seeing as my 10 cents aint worth jack shit,here it is anyway.....dont bother with the current touring' dr feelgood',as it dont have any original members and to my mind aint doin nothing for the legend that once was.wilcos current touring 3 piece is legendary,it swings and its right,always a good show and a good nite out.....dont even get me started on the current touring '9 below zero'.

• January 12, 2013 12:06 PM CST
    • I saw him for the 1st time, last year, with the amazing Norman Watt-Roy (from Ian Durie & The Blockheads) on bass. Luckily, they were playing in a little local club 5 miles down the road.

Not long after Oil Ciy Confidential premiered, i randomly found it on the tv just before i was about to go to bed, so i had to stay up & watch it til the end... (about 2AM.. on a school night!) That's Rock'n'Roll for ya!

I'm a bit of a Luddite, but I did a quick search online & found this, which should let you watch the film online for free...: http://viooz.eu/movies/13885-oil-city-confidential-2009.html

John Battles said:

I've never seen it....Not the kind of thingthat makes the rounds in the states , even at Foreign Film Festivals....

• January 12, 2013 4:47 AM CST
    • Very fortunate to see the Feelgoods with Wilko way back when - one of the great experiences of my teenage years - and what courage that announcement shows - the next time you see some washed-up hasbeens announcing their umpteenth farewell tour remember what those words will actually mean for the legend that will always be Wilko Johnson.

• January 12, 2013 4:23 AM CST
    • a legend in his own lifetime,some great times,that staccato attack will forever be with me.

• January 12, 2013 2:53 AM CST
    • very sad news.

• January 11, 2013 7:08 PM CST
    • I've never seen it....Not the kind of thingthat makes the rounds in the states , even at Foreign Film Festivals....But , I loved the trailer. Especially the part about Wilko flying a plane , even though he did'nt know how. Take THAT , Iron Maiden.  I met Gypie Mayo a couple of times , he spoke very highly about Wilko , as a Musician and as a person.

Trash Freak said:

If you've not already seen it, 'Oil City Confidential'  is a great documentary-film about Dr Feelgood, by Julien Temple ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julien_Temple )

Well worth a watch, if you can find it.

• January 12, 2013 5:43 PM CST
    • oh , God. He's back.     Forgot to mention the fine Chicago Rockabilly/ Garage  / Cramps - influenced band , The Dyes , do an all - Cramps set every Halloween ,with help from members of other local bands. Local Horror /Sci Fi Film Fest  mogul , Rusty Nails , did the same thing with some local musicians , several years ago.

• January 12, 2013 5:28 PM CST
    • Yeah , I first heard "Love Me" on the superior UK comp , "Off The Bone"....I have'nt heard too many bands that had the chutzpah to take it on , now.....The Bananamen /Stingrays , Moondogs ....Robert Gordon lifted one line from it , Cramps style , on "Too Fast To Live , Too Young To Die "  . But , Axel is right on two counts - That this is about covers of Cramps songs , And that it's hard for people  to separate the originals from the covers , or songs they lifted the hubcaps from to create their own songs. Good artists borrow , great artists steal.

On the other hand , The Cramps have been accused of lifting from songs that only sound similar , just not similar enough e.g. "New Kind Of Kick" resembles "He's Waitin' by The Sonics , just , not enough . Ditto for The Tune Rockers' "Green Mosquito" and "Human Fly". Ivy said they had'nt even heard the song , yet , when they wrote  their signature tune.

Anyway - Crookshanks : Naked Girl Falling Down The Stairs.

That's one , I can think of others , but The Jehovah's Witnesses woke me up at 10:30 ,this (Saturday) morning.

Here's a few songs about The Cramps -

Alan Vega - Kid Congo    ( I apologize for mispelling Kid's last name , earlier. It's  actually spelled "Tristan". ).

Voodoo Idols - Forgot the name of the song ....Will look it up.

Gun Club - For The Love of Ivy.

• January 12, 2013 2:10 AM CST
    • In my band The Raidiators we did Goo Goo Muck,The Crusher,Strychnine,Green Fuzz,No club Lone Wolf,I walked All Night,Kizmiaz,Naked Girl Falling Down The Stairs .I will try and post a link later.

• January 12, 2013 4:52 PM CST
    • Re. The Thunderbirds (A direct reply was not possible. Contact International Rescue. ).

A classic....."Those are'nt puppets. They're marionettes!" ("That Thing You Do ".)

• January 12, 2013 4:48 PM CST
    • Well , what American bands that don't play in America are you having over?

• January 12, 2013 3:24 PM CST
    • Playlist 1/12/13

Pylon  Cool 
      Sons & Daughters  Rebel With The Ghost 
      Fuzzbox  Love Is The Slug 
      B-52s  52 Girls 
      Death By Unga Bunga  I Wanna Go Wild 
      Barracudas  Don't Let Go 
      Plasticland  In My Black and White 
      60 Second Swingers  60 Second Swinger 
      Ultravox  Young Savages 
      Rich Kids  Rich Kids 
      Members  Sound of the Suburbs 
      Gang of Four  I Found That Essence Rare 
      Palmyra Delran  Born 2 Make U Cry 
      Kiss Kiss Bang Bang  Desperate Teenage Living Nightmare 
      Livids  Savage Eyes 
      Scovilles  Bird Brain Master 
      Harmonica Lewinski  Code Green Jellyfish 
      Stingrays  June Rhyme 
      Huevos Rancheros  Cindy With an S 
      RJ and the Del Gupos  Shake!! 
      Mahones  The King of Copenhagen 
      Redd Kross  Meet Frankenstein 
      Left Arm  New Kind of Kick 
      Ex-Cult  On Film 
      Brian Wilson Shock Treatment  Nervous Breakdown 
      Nevermores  Crescent Moon 
      Moon Duo  Sleepwalker 
      Spacemen 3  Revolution 
      Evens  King of Kings 
      Evil Tenors  Peach Fuzz/You're Not A Sharp Knife 
      Ravonettes  Till the End 
      Blank Attack  Tally Ho! (Quick! Back to the Tardis!) 
      Mad Doctors  Black Magic 
      Plymouth Fury  The Basement 
      Ungodly 77's  Run Outta Town 
      Fleshtones  No Tengo Dinero 
      Godfathers  Gone to Texas 

• January 12, 2013 8:31 AM CST
    • I will be on the air and the web on Saturday January 12th from 1:00-3:00PM EST on WITR-FM in Rochester, NY or streaming live at http://witr.rit.edu .

• January 11, 2013 8:31 PM CST
    • This weeks episode was my 2012 releases show lots of cool Garage on the show.  Played music from Pow Wows, Mystics, Thee Oh Sees, Ty Segall, The Hives and more. 

Listen/download this weeks podcast:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20130108-1030-...

Check out my blog post on some releases from 2012 here:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2013/01/2012-highlights-show-437.html

The Play List:
      1. Cold Warps – Slimer (Slimer - Fun Dog Records 2012)
      2. Guided By Voices – King Arthur The Red (The Bears For Lunch - Guided By Voices Inc
      2012)
      3. Elk – Riverview #3 (Daydreams - IndoorShoes 2012)
      4. Papermaps – There Are Wolves (Inferior Ghost EP - Sparks Music 2012)
      5. Thee Oh Sees – Floods New Light (Putrifiers II - In The Red Records 2012)
      6. New Kind of Mambo – Luv Me True (New Kind of Mambo - Self Released 2012)
      7. Pow Wows – Killing Me (Killing Me - Get Hip Recordings 2012)
      8. Mystics - Play Your Game (Play Your Game - Boppa Do Down 2012)
      9. The Spooky But Nice – Sun Goes (The Spooky But Nice - Self Released 2012)
      10. Black Angels – I’d Rather Be Lonely (I'd Rather Be Lonely - Blue Horizon 2012)
      11. Rotten Tropics – Spectre Tectonics (First Blind Quarter - Self Released 2012)
      12. The Bell Peppers – Golf Shack (Saved By The Bell Peppers - Self Released 2012)
      13. The Scenics – Dark Cave (Dead Man Walks Down Bayview - Dream Tower Productions
      2012)
      14. Dan Sartain – Indian Massacre (Too Tough To Live - One Little Indian Records 2012)
      15. Jaill – Perfect Ten (Traps - Sub Pop 2012)
      16. Jack White – Blunderbuss (Blunderbuss - Third Man Records 2012)
      17. TEENANGER – Tired of You (Frights - Telephone Explosion 2012)
      18. The Soft Pack – Ray’s Mistake (Strapped - Mexican Summer 2012)
      19. Diamond Rugs – Gimme A Beer (Diamond Rugs - Partisan 2012)
      20. Indian Wars – Already Home (Songs From The North - Bachelor Records 2012)
      21. Ty Segall – You’re The Doctor (Twins - Drag City 2012)
      22. The Hives – Patrolling Days (Lex Hives - No Fun AB 2012)
      23. Young Rival – Let It Go (Stay Young - Sonic Unyon 2012)
      24. Young Rival - I Don't Care (Stay Young - Sonic Unyon 2012)

• January 11, 2013 6:21 PM CST
    • Radio What Wave Playlist Jan 10/2013

1. Andy Butler (no known as The 905's...Hamilton Head...from the New Test Sounds CD from 2007. Played this for a few reasons; The 905's are playing at Mitzi's in Toronto on Jan 19th, Hamilton is the place to be on Jan 25th as we have our first ever garage night at This Ain't Hollywood AND this is a fucking great song!!!

2. Ronald Regan Story ...Colorado Drifter....demo from a Windsor Ontario band from 1982 that played here in London at The Cedar Lounge.

3. Elad's Guitar Army...Drop The Gloves...from the Rock'n'Roll Circus CD from 1997. Elad, which is Dale spelled backwards, was in The Spys and The Nelsons, both Windsor Ontario bands and both played at The Cedar Lounge here in London Ontario in the late 70's/early 80's. And members of this band were also involved with Ronald Reagan Story. Make sense?

4. The Hot Nasties...Secret Of Immortality...from a recent re-ish on Ugly Pop Records. Calgary band that originally released this single back in 1980. Liberal party bigwig/Sun Media opinion monger Warren Kinsella was in this band.

5. The Diodes...Catwalker...from the Action/Reaction CD that was re-issued by Bongo Beat Records in 2012.

6. The Black Frame Spectacle....Patient Zero...from the Grady Sessions II CD that came out in 2012. 2 piece combo from the village of Dorchester Ontario, just east of London.

7. The Skirt Chasers...Train Riding...from a demo CD this 2 piece released about 2 years ago.

8. catl...Hey Hey....from their first LP. catl is packing it in, last show is Jan 19th at the Horseshoe in Toronto. We'll be doing a special on catl during next week's show.

9. Dynamite Pussy Club...Testify...from the Church Of Yeah! CD. Bath UK's finest export!!

10. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants...Back To The Beach...recorded live at Call The Office 7/27/12. JT are playing this saturday at Call The Office here in London Ontario.

11. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants...Eyes...from their latest 7".

12. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants...Happy Wanderer...again, live at Call The Office 7/27/12.

13. The Reply...Give What You Can...from their brand new CD, Downtown Soul. Toronto soul/mod/R&B/garage band that put on killer live shows.

14. The Ballantynes...Misery...from their latest 7" on La Ti Da Records outta Vancouver.

15. The Hook Up...The Raw Blues...from their Call Up The Devil CD.

16. Bloody Diamonds...Lady Of The Night...from the They've Got Secrets CD. Halifax combo that we had playing live to air on Radio WW last fall.

17. New York Dolls...Trash...From Paris With Love double LP on SFTRI. This, and the next 2 songs go out to Jesse who now has a radio show called It's Trash, heard some fridays on CHRW between 6 and 8 PM.

18. Deja Voodoo...Take Out The Trash...from the Too Cool To Live, Too Smart To Die LP on Midnight Records from 1985.

19. Gus Cordovox Quartet...Trashpickin'...from the compilation LP You're Soaking In It  on Apex Records from the late 80's. This is a Philadelphia compilation from the late 80's and this particular track probably featured Ben Vaughn on guitar.

20. The Scenics...Dark Cave...from the Dead Man Walks Down Bayview CD.The Scenics were a late 70's/early 80's combo outta Toronto and they've just released their first newly recorded material in 30 years!

21. The Oily Birds...Born To Lose...recorded live in Guelph 4/28/12. Local combo that always put on a fun show.

22. Boy From Nowhere...Train Kept A Rollin'...from the cassette that came with What Wave 24, Slippery's Club Hits. The singer from this band is now the singer in The Oily Birds.

23. The Searchers...When You Walk In The Room...from a Greatest Hits LP. Local combo Psycho Daisies usually play this and they are playing saturday night at The St Regis here in London.

24. Wilko Johnson...Messin' With The Kid...from the Pull The Cover LP from 1984. Wilko has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer....a truly innovative guitarist that we're going to miss!

25. Dr. Feelgood...Sneakin' Suspicion....from the 1978  LP of the same name. Wilko Johnson on guitars.

26. Dr. Feelgood...Going Back Home...from the live LP, Stupidity, that came out in 1976.

And that's a wrap. Thanx for all the phone-ins this week....there were a LOT of call-ins and many requests for upcoming shows that we'll be playing.

Watch out for the first monthly garage night happening at This Ain't Hollywood on Friday January 25th. It's called Kissin' The Carpet and we're proud to be one of the many sponsors! We'll be doing an all garage show on Jan 24th, playing only Canadian garagepunk from the 80's to the present and Ryan In The Red will continue with Canadian 60's garagepunk right after we get off the air, on his show, The Freakout. So that'll be 2.5 hours of Canadian garagepunk starting at 6PM on Jan 24th, going all the way to 8:30PM!!

Here's a link to the podcast:

http://chrwradio.ca/content/radio-what-wave#prev-shows

• January 11, 2013 3:23 PM CST
    • I had to go to a cinema located in a mall that's pretty out of the way for me, and I went during its opening weekend because I was afraid it wouldn't be playing there the following weekend. Now that I did that, it will probably show up at the Oaks Theatre, which is really close to where I live.

John Battles said:

Seems like it already came and went , here. We have ONE second - run theatre that I know of . Maybe they'll show it.

• January 11, 2013 2:43 PM CST
    • Show #405: "R.I.P. 2012, Part 1 of 4"

This week (and the following 3 weeks) is my annual "R.I.P." show, where I pay tribute to all the musicians/artists/singers who died in the past year. I will play a track and give a brief bio on each artist featured as a tribute. This is PART ONE of FOUR shows. I'll be covering 130 total artists of the 50's, 60's and 70's who died in the year 2012, in a four part show. I will be playing music chronologically by the artist's death and tonight's show covers January through March of 2012. So, tune in tonight and learn about the musicians and singers who died in the first 3 months of 2012, hear their story, and hear their music. Tonight you can hear music by: Dion & The Belmonts, Captain Beyond, Ashkan, Jimmy Castor, The Johnny Otis Show, The Originals, The Techniques, Etta James, Afterglow, Maxayn, Family, Almendra, Dory Previn, Sherbert, MC5, Billy Strange Orchestra, The Monkees, Montrose, and many others!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg