Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 14, 2013 7:07 PM CST

• "Up Against The Wall" is a song I loved ages ago and somehow forgot about.  Thanks for the reminder.  Looks like I need to pick up another OhEx album.  

• January 14, 2013 2:50 PM CST
    • You are correct as regards GG doing "Up Against The Wall" off the fourth ((!)) Ohio Express album. I believe it is on the EP with "No Rules" "NYC Tonight" and "A Fuckup." I had no idea it was a cover until years later, when i picked up the "Mercy" album and was like...HEYYYYyyy!!!!

• January 14, 2013 1:27 PM CST
    • I think even GG Allin did "Up Against The Wall" by Ohio Express, when he was with the Jabbers. The JAMC were also indebted to bubblegum pop, just with more feedback (no, make that loads more feedback).

• January 13, 2013 8:27 PM CST
    • I'M AMAZED NO ONE HAS SAMPLED "I CAN FEEL YOUR HEARTBEAT" (THO MAYBE THEY HAVE. I TRY NOT TO FOLLOW STUFF THAT SUCKS. IT JUST FOLLOWS ME) , BUT , IT'S GOT THAT STONE COLD FUNK GUITAR (WAKKA TAKKA ! WAKKA TAKKA ! LOVE !LOVE ! CAN''T YOU FEEL MY HEARTBEAT? WAKKA TAKKA WAKKA TAKKA)......"CRAZY HORSES" HAS BEEN WIDELY COVERED , WITH GOOD REASON , IT'S THE SHIT !!!

TANK (NWOBHM band with Algy Ward , ex- Damned) , DEMENTED ARE GO , SENSATIONAL ALEX HARVEY BAND
       , AND EVEN SOME BAND ON WAX TRAX DID IT (BUT I DON'T FOLLOW STUFF THAT SUCKS. THE RECORD STORE WAS FANTASTIC , THE UNBELIEVABLY OVERRATED LABEL IS NOT.). I'm not a huge Partridge Family fan , but , I admit they had some good tunes. Even the REAL faux Partridge Family (Pre - David Cassidy and Shirley Jones involvement) are perfectly passable wanabee Cowsills Sunshine Pop.

DJ Johnson said:

Yep, Redd Kross did a cover of Crazy Horses when they were putting Third Eye together.  There's a release (probably unofficial) called Third Eye Demos that has the track.  I got an MP3 of the song off a website someone attached to Redd Kross was running way back when.  Love their covers.  Especially "Dancing Queen" and "Pretty Please Me".  

Bubblegum is my semi-guilty pleasure.  I was just the age they were aiming at when a lot of it first came out in 1969.  Still love The Archies and 1910 FGC (and even got to see them in concert opening for The Monkees, though who the hell knows who was actually in the "band" that night), Ohio Express, a lot of the one hit wonders and, most of all, The Cowsills.  Something about them always made me very happy.  And "Mr. Flynn" was a pretty great tune I still have to hear often.  I even like The Partridge Family, which makes a lot of people assume I wear a foil hat.  I know most of the stuff released by that faux band falls under the category of light pop or even easy listening, but there are some great gum tracks mixed in ("I Can Feel Your Heartbeat" being my fave).  I mix questionable stuff into my gum playlists, but to me it fits.  Stuff like Blondie, Bonnie Hayes & The Wild Combo, Go-Go's, etc.  

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

I think "Crazy Horses" was also done by Redd Kross but I'm not sure.

• January 13, 2013 6:38 PM CST
    • Yep, Redd Kross did a cover of Crazy Horses when they were putting Third Eye together.  There's a release (probably unofficial) called Third Eye Demos that has the track.  I got an MP3 of the song off a website someone attached to Redd Kross was running way back when.  Love their covers.  Especially "Dancing Queen" and "Pretty Please Me".  

Bubblegum is my semi-guilty pleasure.  I was just the age they were aiming at when a lot of it first came out in 1969.  Still love The Archies and 1910 FGC (and even got to see them in concert opening for The Monkees, though who the hell knows who was actually in the "band" that night), Ohio Express, a lot of the one hit wonders and, most of all, The Cowsills.  Something about them always made me very happy.  And "Mr. Flynn" was a pretty great tune I still have to hear often.  I even like The Partridge Family, which makes a lot of people assume I wear a foil hat.  I know most of the stuff released by that faux band falls under the category of light pop or even easy listening, but there are some great gum tracks mixed in ("I Can Feel Your Heartbeat" being my fave).  I mix questionable stuff into my gum playlists, but to me it fits.  Stuff like Blondie, Bonnie Hayes & The Wild Combo, Go-Go's, etc.  

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

I think "Crazy Horses" was also done by Redd Kross but I'm not sure.

• January 13, 2013 4:04 PM CST
    • Fuck, yeah! The Ramones could be called a bubblegum group, covering Indian Giver, and they had those beats.

Also, there's that Ohio band that did the Standells 'Try It'.

So many of the original punks remember that stuff from their childhood, it stuck with them.

There's a band now called Pink Filth who do all of that stuff, but put it through effects/pitch shifter boxes. LP is 17 Bubblegum Smashes, plus 1 45 where they sing the lyrics of 'Convoy' to the tune of  'Funky Cold Medina'. (useless trivia: they have a found-noise band called Crevice Worship. TMI?).

And the Queers and any band that came after them may have put too much bubblegum into their stuff.

• January 14, 2013 5:04 PM CST
    • Well, it depends on who's playing as well. Beat Bespoke is coming soon. March 28-31. Frowning Clouds and the Strypes are playing. The other bands don't really tickle my fancy (Corner Shop??). Purple Weekend is in November or December. I'm more partial to Spain anyway (seeing that I'm not welcome in Britain without a huge hassle). Let me know if you go to León I might be there this year.

Shtbird said:

Only festivals I can possibly go to this year are Le Beat Bespoke or Purple Weekend. Too busy to be able to take time off April-November, when the majority of festies happen. Still, I'm gunna try my best to make Ponderosa Stomp.
      Any recommendations on which of the two to go to? Don't really want to dish out the cash to fly to Europe two times, but I'm lucky enough to to have family to stay with/reason to visit in Spain/Switzerland. Figure if I try for Le Beat, I can buy a cheap ticket to London (I hear March + April are cheapest to fly to Europe). On the flip side, I'm already pretty fluent in Spanish, y me voy a encantar un otra ves para practicar/otra lugar para conocer.

And who knows? Maybe I can scrounge the dough for both.

• January 13, 2013 9:28 PM CST
    • Only festivals I can possibly go to this year are Le Beat Bespoke or Purple Weekend. Too busy to be able to take time off April-November, when the majority of festies happen. Still, I'm gunna try my best to make Ponderosa Stomp.

Any recommendations on which of the two to go to? Don't really want to dish out the cash to fly to Europe two times, but I'm lucky enough to to have family to stay with/reason to visit in Spain/Switzerland. Figure if I try for Le Beat, I can buy a cheap ticket to London (I hear March + April are cheapest to fly to Europe). On the flip side, I'm already pretty fluent in Spanish, y me voy a encantar un otra ves para practicar/otra lugar para conocer.

And who knows? Maybe I can scrounge the dough for both.

• January 14, 2013 2:55 PM CST
    •  I want that....the jukebox...oh..and the album. vinyl. now....  

• January 14, 2013 11:56 AM CST
    • FIDLAR. Fuck It Dog, Life's A Risk.

It ain't often when ya see a band who practices what they preach. Luckily, ain't that hard if all you're trying to do is get fucked up and have a good time. This 4 piece out of LA is aggressive, sloppy, and fun as fuck. After several badass EPs (DUIDIY, No Waves/No Ass, Chinese Weed) these punks landed a LP with Mom & Pop records. From start to finish, the album is packed with chaotic anthems for every alcoholic who likes to raise hell. Songs like "Cheap Beer", (I. drink. cheap. beer. so. what. fuck. you.), "No Waves", and "Wake Bake Skate" beg to be played over and over again. My personal favorite is "5 to 9"; short and sweet. There's even a noisy rendition of the folk classic "Cocaine Blues" as a closer, rhyming couplets and all.

These Surf/Garage Punx may of had a beer too many, but fuck all if they can't still hold their own. Rock 'n roll ain't dead, just really drunk and kinda stoned. Be sure to pick up a 24 rack and this album on Jan 22. Don't be a dick and pirate leaks like me. These guys deserve it.
      Check 'em out on bandcamp, or catch them live if you can. (I hear they're a blast)

-Shtbird

• January 14, 2013 11:31 AM CST
    • Hear the January 13th Show here:
      http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20130113-0030-t1358037000.mp3

The setlist:

THE DIRTBOMBS - START THE PARTY 

KING KHAN AND THE SHRINES - THREE HAIRS AND YOU'RE MINE 
      THE COBRAS - I WANNA BE YOUR LOVE 
      REIGNING SOUND - REPTILE STYLE 
      THE BOYS - COBRA 
      FOUR SOUNDS - MAMA UBANGI BANGI 
      THE IKETTES - CAMEL WALK 
      JAN DAVIS - THE TIME FUNNEL 
      TELEVISION PERSONALITES - I KNOW WHERE SYD BARRETT LIVES 
      THE WHO - COBWEBS AND STRANGE 

DAVY JONES & THE LOWER THIRD-  DO ANYTHING YOU SAY 
      LES FLEUR DES LYS-  WAIT FOR ME 
      BIG MAMA THORNTON - HOUND DOG 
      LINK WRAY-  JACK THE RIPPER 

LITTLE RICHARD - IT AIN'T WHATCHA DO 
      KEELY SMITH & LOUIS PRIMA - PEPPERMINT TWIST 
      WES DAKUS & THE REBELS-  DOG FOOD 
      EARL KING - TRICK BAG 
      JACK HAMMER - WIGGLING FOOL 
      CHARLES "MAD DOG" SHEFFIELD - ROCK AND ROLL TRAIN 

NICK AND THE JAGUARS-  ICI BON #1 
      JOHN ZACHERLE-  DUMMY DOLL 

THE SAVAGES - ROSES ARE RED MY LOVE 
      THE STANDELLS - WHY PICK ON ME?
      THE RATIONALS-  I NEED YOU 
      THE ZOMBIES - STICKS AND STONES 
      GRINGO STAR-  BEATNIK ANGEL GEORGIE 
      THE FONDAS-  WILD MAN ON THE LOOSE 
      LEONARD NIMOY-  AMPHIBIOUS ASSAULT 

• January 14, 2013 8:52 AM CST
    • It was our Christmas present to ourselves and we are really enjoying it so far.  More of a reference book than an actual straight read, but the articles and photos are great.

• January 13, 2013 1:41 PM CST
    • YES!  I got mine back in September and I really love it and what i love most is that Mike put so much time into it that you the reader never has to play guessing games again.  It's that good.  the only thing I can think that bothers me is that Canadian groups aren't covered even though they end up on BAck From the Grave and Teenage Shutdowns sometimes.

• January 14, 2013 4:38 AM CST
    • Here is the complete list of everyone mentioned in the two threads, along with a few I added, over 300 in all: 

68 Comeback

A-Bones

Action Swingers

Hasil Adkins

Dave Agulair

The Alarm Clocks

Dave Allen and the Arrows

GG Allin & the Murder Junkies

Randy Alvey and the Green Fuz

American Soul Spiders

Antiseen

Armitage Shanks

Archie & the Pukes

The Artisans

Lester Bangs
      Bantam Rooster

The Barons

The Barracudas

Bassholes

Paul Bearer and the Hearsemen

The Beasts of Burbon

The Beguiled

BellRays

The Beguiled

Berlin Brats

Chuck Berry

The Bevis Frond

The Birthday Party

The Black Lips

Bob Log III

The Bomboras

Boss Hogg

Boys From Nowhere

The Brides

The Brood

Bunker Hill

The Candy Snatchers

Captain Beefheart

Dean Carter

Cheater Slicks

The Chesterfield Kings

Billy Childish/Thee Milkshakes/Thee Mighty Ceasars

The Chimney Sweeps

Alex Chilton

Chinese Millionares

The Chocolate Watch Band

Clone Defects

Chrome Cranks

Claw Hammer

Fred Cole

Stud Cole

Color Me Psycho

The Compulsive Gamblers

Cosmic Psychos

Count Bishops

The Count Five

The Country Teasers

The Cowslingers

The Cramps

The Creation

The Creeps

Dave Crider

The Customs

The Cynics

Thee Daggermen

The Damned

Kenny Daniel

Ronnie Dawson

The Dead Boys

Dead Moon

The Dead Milkmen

Death of Samantha

Deja Voodoo

Demolition Doll Rods

Demotrons

Derelicts

The Detroit Cobras

The Devil Dogs

Bo Diddley

The Didjits

The Dirtbombs

The Dirty Loves

The Dirtys

DMZ

Les Dogs

Don & the Goodtimes

Doo Rag

Downliners Sect

The Drags

The Drones

The Droogs

The Dummies

The Dwarves

The Eastern Dark

The Elites

Electric Frankenstein

The Electric Prunes

The Evil

The Fall Outs

The Fatals

The Fe Fi Fo Fuours Plus 2

The Fells

Fireworks

The Five Canadians

The Flamin’ Groovies

The Flaming Stars

The Flat Duo Jets

The Fleshtones

Fortune and Maltese

Kim Fowley

Frumious Bandersnatch

The Fuzztones

Gallon Drunk

Gas Huffer

Gasolheads

Tim Gassen

Gaunt

Gibson Brothers

Girl Trouble

Gonn

The Gories

The Groupies

Guitar Wolf

The Gravedigger V

The Gruesomes

The Guess Who

Guilty Pleasures

Gun Club

Halo of Flies

Hara Kee Rees

The Hardons

Jimmy Harold

The Hatepinks

The Haunted

Hawkwind

The Hellacopters

The Hives

The Homewreckers

Daryl Hopper

The Horrors

The Humpers

The Hunches

The Inhalants

The Intelligence

Cordell Jackson

Wanda Jackson

Lee Joseph

July

Hans Kasteloo

Lenny Kaye

The Keggs

King Khan & the Shrines/ King Khan & BBQ

King Uszniewicz and the Uszniewicztones

The Kinks

The Konks

Larry & the Bluenotes

The Lazy Cowgirls

The Leaves

The Legendary Stardust Cowboy

Miriam Lina & Billy Miller

The Little Biys

Adrian Lloyd

The Lollipop Shoppe

The Loons

Lost Sounds

Love/Arthur Lee

James Lowe

Greg Lowery

The Lyres

MAD3

Magnetix

The Make-Up

The Makers

Man or Astro Man?

The Masonics

The MC5

Legs McNeil  & John Holstrom

The Meteors

Midnight Movies

Milano/the Leather Boy

The Milkshakes

The Miracle Workers

The Michelle Gun Elephant

The Modern Lovers

The Monks

The Mono Men

The Monsters

The Montells

The Moony Suzuki

The Moorats

Johnny Moped

The Morlocks

Motorcycle Boy

The Motards

Mouse & the Traps

The Movie Star Junkies

The Moving Sidewalks

Mudhoney

The Muffs

The Mummies

The Murder City Devils

The Music Machine/Shawn Bonniwell

MX-80

Naked Raygun

The Necessary Evils

The Neurotic Swingers

The New Bomb Turks

The New York Dolls

Night Kings

Nights and Days

Nipple Erectors/The Nips

Nobody’s CHildren

The Oblivians

Terry Ork

The Outsiders

The Pagans

The Pandoras

Rudi Petrudi

Phantom Surfers

Plan 9

The Pleasure Fuckers

The Pleasure Seekers

Poison 13

The Pretty Things

Paul Pierce

Plasticland

The Priests

The Prisoners

Prisonshake

Rudi Protudii

Pussy Galore

PVC

The Q65

Russell Quan

? and the Mysterians

Radio Birdman

The Ramones

Rare Breeds

The Raunch Hands

The Real Kids

The Reatards/Jay Reatards

Reigning Sound

The Remains

Paul Revere & the Raiders

Rocket From the Tombs

Rev.  Beat Man

Ron Rimsite

The Rip Offs

Rocket 555

Leland Rogers

The Rolling Stones

The Royal Pendletons

Los Saicos

The Saints

Sam the Sham & the Pharoahs

The Sateliters

Jan Savage

The Scientists

The Seeds/Sky Saxon

Sex Museum

Sexareenos

The Shadows of Knight

Los Shains

Greg Shaw

The Shitty Beatles

The Sinister Six
      Sir Douglas Quintet

Sirens

The Slickee Boys

Slobs

Sons of Hercules

The Sonic Rendezvous Band

The Sonics

The Spaceman 3

The Spaceshits

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion

Mike Spencer

The Spits

The Splash 4

The Standells

Jack Starr

The Statics

Mike Stax

The Stoics

The Stooges

STP

Supercharger

Supersnazz

The Supersuckers

Screaming Lord Sutch

The Swamp Rats

The Swingin’ Neckbreakers

T. Rex

Teengenerate

The Tell Tale Hearts

Tev Falco

Thanes

Marty Thau

Third Bardo

13th Floor Elevators/Roky Erickson

Thomas Jefferson Slave Apartments

Les Thugs

Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers

The Trashmen

The Trashwomen

The Troggs

Turbonegro

Marcus Tybalt

The Ugly Ducklings

The Unclaimed

Unrelated Segments

Untamed Youth

The Untold Fables

The Urges

The Velvet Underground

The Vipers

The Von Zippers

Vulcan Detective Agency

The Wailers

Travis Wammack

Tim Warren

Waste Kings

Danny Waugh

The Weeds

Shane White

The White Stripes

The Wild Mammouths

The Wildebeasts

Wildfang

Willie the Wild One

Andre Williams

Wimple Witch

The Woggles

Link Wray

Los Yorks

Zachary Thaks

Zeke

• January 14, 2013 2:11 AM CST
    • I had a similar thread here a few years ago with 9 pages full of nominations. 

And I think it should be in Tacoma. We could get some cheap real estate and they could use the tourism. Plus weed is legal in Washington now.

• January 14, 2013 12:42 AM CST
    • It was around when I was in junior high though I guess on it's last legs (77-79), soon to be replaced by "new wave". I heard plenty of it on the radio, school dances etc, but was never moved enough to seek it out and own it, though my brother did give me Rod Stewart "Blondes Have More Fun" picture disc for my new turntable which was his "disco" album, as many other established acts did "disco' albums later to be followed by "new wave" albums (Alice Cooper "Flush The Fashion" anyone?) I was oblivious to it's origins from the gay club scene in NYC because by this time is was so homogenized and mainstream. But what I remember most from that period was being introduced to early Rap & 70's funk, the later which I guess was also part of the genisis of Disco. The school I went to was not diverse at all. Maybe 15 black kids total. My friend Robert Love was from Texas and from a world completely unlike mine. Never heard him play any disco, but he loved to dance and had the moves back then. Instead of Disco, he turned me onto Parliment, Bootsy Collins and also Curtis Blow (mostly by sneaking into his older brother's record collection when he wasn't home) and by turning me onto local radio station KDAY. But as far as Disco, it still really hasn't grown on me, not even as something campy, although I do laugh at that scene from the sitcom Malcom in the Middle when the dad is doing rollerdisco to that song "Rollercoaster" or was it "Funkytown". But I had no qualms cranking up D.O.A.'s song "Disco Sucks" (later to be reborn as New Wave Sucks) when I was turned on to it in 1980. Even that late in the game, TV disco dance shows like "Solid Gold" were still on the air.

Sorry, this was a pretty long winded answer just to say, naw, not my thing, there's too much good music I haven't heard yet and too little time to spend it listening to Disco.

• January 13, 2013 6:47 PM CST

• I like some of the same things you listed just now, Dave, but back then I was a major hater of disco.  I was a working musician who suddenly wasn't working, as weren't most of my contemporaries, because the clubs could just put records on and the patrons were happy.  Why pay a band to play?  It made us very mad.  I refused to see Saturday Night Fever at the time.  Seen it since.  Not bad.  I can listen to enough disco these days to make a good 90 minute playlist, but the four-on-the-floor thing gets very old when there's nothing else making it stand out, and it still feels like a majority of the disco stuff was pretty slick and nondescript.  Then there are songs like "I Feel Love".  Niiice.  It just took me 30 years to get over the grudge.

• January 13, 2013 3:51 PM CST
    • I listened to Disco in junior high and a bit as an underclassman, well before I was exposed to Punk. The 'Disco Sucks' meme was out there, but even as an 8th grader it seemed pretty bone-headed. Why couldn't you listen to both?

So I like the slick stuff like Chic (still do) and the mainstream stuff like Sister Sledge and Donna Summers. I also liked the kitschy aspect of it, 'Midnight at the Oasis' or Sun-Radiation Level, or the Village People.

One of the appealing things about it was that it was so positive. It's kinda hard to explain, not that there was a lot of negativity about, esp. for a kid, but it made you feel good. And it was listened to by Black, White, and Latino, so it didn't divide as the 'Rawk' movement did (all white, pretty much).

Interestingly enough (but maybe not), even then I was looking for different types of music, so obviously it didn't totally satiate me. But nothing did.

As more bad Disco came along, I slowly found out about New Wave, and then Punk. Soul and Funk I found out about separately during Punk.

• January 13, 2013 8:06 PM CST
    • I don't know if they are "stoner rock." I've been told they sound better when stoned though. Explosions in the Sky are amazing.

• January 13, 2013 5:43 PM CST
    • The Voodoo Idols' song about The Cramps was"Temptation".

Know who the first known artist was to reference The Cramps in a song ? Joe Jackson ("The Evil EYE ,1980.).

John Battles said:

Yeah , I first heard "Love Me" on the superior UK comp , "Off The Bone"....I have'nt heard too many bands that had the chutzpah to take it on , now.....The Bananamen /Stingrays , Moondogs ....Robert Gordon lifted one line from it , Cramps style , on "Too Fast To Live , Too Young To Die "  . But , Axel is right on two counts - That this is about covers of Cramps songs , And that it's hard for people  to separate the originals from the covers , or songs they lifted the hubcaps from to create their own songs. Good artists borrow , great artists steal.

On the other hand , The Cramps have been accused of lifting from songs that only sound similar , just not similar enough e.g. "New Kind Of Kick" resembles "He's Waitin' by The Sonics , just , not enough . Ditto for The Tune Rockers' "Green Mosquito" and "Human Fly". Ivy said they had'nt even heard the song , yet , when they wrote  their signature tune.

Anyway - Crookshanks : Naked Girl Falling Down The Stairs.

That's one , I can think of others , but The Jehovah's Witnesses woke me up at 10:30 ,this (Saturday) morning.

Here's a few songs about The Cramps -

Alan Vega - Kid Congo    ( I apologize for mispelling Kid's last name , earlier. It's  actually spelled "Tristan". ).

Voodoo Idols - Forgot the name of the song ....Will look it up.

Gun Club - For The Love of Ivy.

• January 13, 2013 2:42 PM CST
    • These guys introduced me to real R&B, which I am glad they did. I saw them at Blackheath Concert Halls and they were excellent, as they were at the Great British Beer Festival too.

• January 13, 2013 7:46 AM CST
    • Wilko Johnson is one of the giants of British rock and roll.  This is terrible news.  

• January 13, 2013 10:50 AM CST
    • I stumbled on this when researching fuzz and, to my ears, the FZ-1A nails the "Satisfaction" sound almost as much as the original FZ-1 Keef used...

Maestro Fuzz comparisons

I'd never heard of NORTH EFFECTS until this post but the pedal AND prices look great... though I don't get why the Primitive only has one sound clip (what with it being more expensive than the Rite which gets like 5+. Not to mention that 1 sound clip doesn't sound majorly like Satisfaction, Valleri, Keep On Running, etc territory.

I'll either get the Rite or take a chance on the Primitive.