Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 10, 2013 6:15 PM CST
    • I think White Hills are pretty famous, but their stuff still blows me away. Drone-y, Krautrock-y...

• January 10, 2013 4:44 PM CST
    • Well, I've played at about half of them. It looks like The Jackets are going to Cosmic Trip this year as well (shhh, it's not confirmed yet). Stay tuned. Yes, distances between countries here are a lot easier to navigate then in The States but Montreal requires a boat or a jet. I only recall one year of the Fuzz Fest. Any info about the next one? 

John Battles said:

Gringo , I was'nt sure if you had attended that one or not , but seeing the way you get around , I did'nt rule it out.....But , I know , for you , it's like me travelling to Minnesota  or Pennsylvania to get to all these festivals you mentioned.....you'd still have to travel hundreds of miles , on top of that , here , to find a decent festival.

Gringo Starr said:

Thanks for nicely topping off the list for me John! How could I forget those two?! Fuzz Fest isn't in Europe so I'm gonna leave it off my list. 

EUROPE:

Purple Weekend - Spain 

Le Beat Bespoke - London, U.K.

Cosmic Trip Festival - France

Soundflat Records Ballroom Bash - Germany

Gutter Island Garage Festival - Denmark 

Hipsville - U.K. 

Funtastic Dracula - Spain

Go Sinner Go!! - Spain 

Festival Beat - Italy

John Battles said:

What about Le Beat Bespoke , Purple Weekend or Fuzz Fest (Montreal)?

Gringo Starr said:

Europe:

Gutter Island Garage Festival - Denmark (every two years)

Hipsville - U.K. (this is brand new in 2013)

Go Sinner Go!! - Spain (I think they stopped doing this one. It's been a year or two)

Festival Beat - Italy

• January 10, 2013 3:38 PM CST
    • Gringo , I was'nt sure if you had attended that one or not , but seeing the way you get around , I did'nt rule it out.....But , I know , for you , it's like me travelling to Minnesota  or Pennsylvania to get to all these festivals you mentioned.....you'd still have to travel hundreds of miles , on top of that , here , to find a decent festival.

Gringo Starr said:

Thanks for nicely topping off the list for me John! How could I forget those two?! Fuzz Fest isn't in Europe so I'm gonna leave it off my list. 

EUROPE:

Purple Weekend - Spain 

Le Beat Bespoke - London, U.K.

Gutter Island Garage Festival - Denmark 

Hipsville - U.K. 

Go Sinner Go!! - Spain 

Festival Beat - Italy

John Battles said:

What about Le Beat Bespoke , Purple Weekend or Fuzz Fest (Montreal)?

Gringo Starr said:

Europe:

Gutter Island Garage Festival - Denmark (every two years)

Hipsville - U.K. (this is brand new in 2013)

Go Sinner Go!! - Spain (I think they stopped doing this one. It's been a year or two)

Festival Beat - Italy

• January 10, 2013 3:34 PM CST
    • You're a bad man , Mr. Harrison.

Mark George Harrison said:

The one in my living room every weekend when the missus is out and the kids are in bed!

Now send me some stuff please!!;)

• January 9, 2013 2:13 PM CST
    • Also - can someone send a link with info for the Montreal Fuzz Fest? I am looking for some but I can't seem to get anything.

• January 9, 2013 2:05 PM CST
    • The one in my living room every weekend when the missus is out and the kids are in bed!

Now send me some stuff please!!;)

• January 10, 2013 4:29 PM CST
    • The Drive-By Truckers on Squidbillies:

• January 10, 2013 4:11 PM CST
    •  James ,  Devil's Advocate talking through me , Tuff Darts doing "All For The Love..." and "Slash" with original singer , Robert Gordon , is one of the only highlights of "Live at CBGB's". Not knocking The Planets or Manster , but Tuff Darts sounded poised to actually do something. 

Yes , if they released "Go Back " and "Lucy" (Second album.) by Crabby Appleton on an OLDIES - STYLE 45 , I'D BUY THE FUCKER.

I HAVE'NT LISTENED TO "INDIAN RESERVATION "  IN CENTURIES , BUT THE RAIDERS' SWANSONG LP ,"COUNTRY WINE" , WHILE NONE OF IT IS GODAWFUL , HAS SOME REALLY BRIGHT SPOTS WITH THE SHOULDA- BEEN - A HIT , "BABY , MAKE UP YOUR MIND" AND THE BIG , BOSS HARD ROCKER "POWDER BLUE MERCEDES QUEEN".

We've had this discussion , but , while "He's Gonna Step on You Again" and "Tokoloshe Man" are the only outstanding cuts on John Kongos' LP , "Kongos" , they're so outstanding , you need the album to have both.

The Rolling Stones' "Black and Blue".....on a whole , the only outstanding track I can think of is "Melody" , co - written by Billy Preston (Also on second vocal.)_. They even admitted , with it's Jazzy phrasing and unusual (For them) chord structure , it'd be damn near impossible to perform , live. I saw Bill Wyman's Orchestra once , and he brought out this BAAD Soul Sister to sing it. I don't even mind "Hot Stuff". Those were the two songs I used to hear on Rock radio at the time , but "Melody" is the primary reason I even own the album. 

The best song on "Emotional Rescue" was "Claudine" , the Rockabilly ode to the Murderess who walked , Actress , Singer , Andy Williams' old lady ,Claudine Longet, and it's not even ON the album. I was'nt there , but she was found guilty , and STILL walked. "CLAUDINE " WAS DEEMED IN BAD TASTE (IMAGINE. THE STONES?!!) AND WAS PULLED FROM THE ALBUM (I HEARD IT WAS ON SOME VERY EARLY PRESSINGS .), BUT IT'S ON THE RECENT "SOME GIRLS" REISSUE.  BTW , THE STONES STOLE FROM THE BEST , LIFTING A BIT OF JACK SCOTT'S "LEROY" FOR THE CHORUS.

James Porter said:

"Go Back" by Crabby Appleton, from their self-titled first LP. Soon as I found the 45, the LP went out the door.

"Indian Reservation" by the Raiders - the only good moment on the Indian Reservation album.

"Your Love Is Like Nuclear Waste" by Tuff Darts, from their Tuff Darts! album on Sire. Third-tier band from the 70s NYC punk scene.

"Ooh La La" by the Faces is the sole highlight of their Ooh La La elpee.

• January 10, 2013 4:52 AM CST
    • LOL!  That's funny.

Tim said:

Not quite what you were asking - but Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull which came out in 1972 contains only one song.

I bought a second hand copy some years later - simply for its interest as a one track LP.

I don't happen to like Jethro Tull. So I own an LP which has not only one song on it, but a song I don't like.

• January 10, 2013 4:51 AM CST
    • I liked "It's All for the Love of Rock'n'Roll" from that Tuff Darts' CD.  The rest of it is all right, but nothing all that memorable.

James Porter said:

"Go Back" by Crabby Appleton, from their self-titled first LP. Soon as I found the 45, the LP went out the door.

"Indian Reservation" by the Raiders - the only good moment on the Indian Reservation album.

"Your Love Is Like Nuclear Waste" by Tuff Darts, from their Tuff Darts! album on Sire. Third-tier band from the 70s NYC punk scene.

• January 10, 2013 4:39 AM CST
    • "Go Back" by Crabby Appleton, from their self-titled first LP. Soon as I found the 45, the LP went out the door.

• January 10, 2013 3:36 AM CST
    • Not quite what you were asking - but Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull which came out in 1972 contains only one song.

I bought a second hand copy some years later - simply for its interest as a one track LP.

I don't happen to like Jethro Tull. So I own an LP which has not only one song on it, but a song I don't like.

• January 9, 2013 8:43 PM CST
    • Motorhead - "Stand" from "March or Die". I traded my copy in as soon as I played it once or twice. But , recently , I found a cassette and burned that one track on to a CD.

• January 9, 2013 3:41 PM CST
    • I'm doing some fine tuning to my CD collection, and I noticed that I have several CDs with only one song each that I like. Here's my list of those songs....

"Teenage News" from the first Syl Sylvain album - Great opening track, rest of the album didn't do anything for me.

"Another Girl, Another Planet" from "Special View" by the Only Ones - Again, great opening track, rest of the CD didn't do anything for me.

"Teenage Kicks" from the first Undertones' album - Awesome pop tune, but nothing else on the CD really hooked me.

"Roadrunner" from the first Modern Lovers' album - Again, another great tune, but the rest of the CD didn't do anything for me.

"Who Will Save Rock'n'Roll" from DFFD by the Dictators - This was their first new CD in 23 years, and it was released in 2001. Great opening track, not much else on it that I liked.

"Maria Bartiromo" from "Don't Worry About Me" by Joey Ramone - Yes, I know this is Joey we're talking about, but again it's same old problem; one really, really, really great tune, but the rest of the CD didn't do anything for me. Keep in mind that I feel the same way about the splintered Beatles, i.e. they each had their moments as solo artists, but even at their individual best, those moments still paled in comparison with their work as a band.

Anyway, I'm just wondering who else here has an album/CD, or several albums/CDs, with only one song that they like. I know we've all been there, buying an album/CD because we heard a great song from it, and then finding out the rest of it to be underwhelming.

• January 10, 2013 3:32 PM CST
    •  Lee has this look on his face (Bottom still shot.) , like "First one's on you , mate.".

Wilko 's figured out what he's going to do for the rest of his life , which , tragically , is such a short time . I can't help thinking that , yes , when his work is done , here , he and Lee Brilleaux will meet again , in a pub , of course , and commence to work on some songs that will be too good for us to hear.

• January 10, 2013 3:00 PM CST
    • Wilko Johnson, guitarist in Dr Feelgood (& recently famous for playing tongueless executioner Sir Ilyn Payne, in Game of Thrones) was a huge influence on punk rock. Wrote some great songs, & had/has his own idiosynchratic style. Sad news, but he keeps on keeping on!

from www.wilkojohnson.org:

"WILKO JOHNSON – IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

I am very sad to announce that Wilko has recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer of the pancreas. He has chosen not to receive any chemotherapy.

He is currently in good spirits, is not yet suffering any physical effects and can expect to enjoy at least another few months of reasonable health and activity.

He has just set off on a trip to Japan; on his return we plan to complete a new CD, make a short tour of France, then give a series of farewell gigs in the UK. There is also a live DVD in the pipeline, filmed on the last UK tour.

Wilko wishes to offer his sincere thanks for all the support he has had over his long career, from those who have worked with him to, above all, those devoted fans and admirers who have attended his live gigs, bought his recordings and generally made his life such an extraordinarily full and eventful experience.

Thank you.

Robert Hoy (Manager)"

I'm glad i got to see him play in the summer.

• January 9, 2013 8:36 PM CST
    • Best New Reissue Label - Alona's Dream.

• January 9, 2013 8:20 PM CST
    • I'm embarrassed to say I have more gear than my ability justifies.

Guitars:

2 Fender Classic Series 70's reissue Stratocasters

Fender Classic Series 69 Thinline Telecaster

Fender CIJ Jaguar

Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster

mid-80's Squier Stratocaster

Gretsch 5120

MIJ Fernandes Telecaster

Hondo II Les Paul copy

Jay Turser 134 double cutaway

Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Amps:

'63 brown Fender Concert Amp

'67 Fender Bandmaster

'68 Fender Pro Reverb

early '70s Virbrolux 

early '70s Fender Princeton

silverface Fender Champ

'63 Fender Vibroverb reissue

2 homemade tweed Tremolux clones

Stompboxes:

Ibanez 60's Fuzz soundtanks

Small Stone Phaseshifter

MXR Phase 90

MXR Phase 100

old Thomas Organ Company Cry Baby Wah Wah

Pro Co Rat II

I think I need to check into the Betty Ford Clinic. I obviously have a problem!

• January 9, 2013 7:55 PM CST
    • If you can find one (it shouldn't be too hard) get a Fender '63 reissue Brown Vibroverb.  It's a very nice 2x10 40 watt combo with a kick ass tube bias tremolo plus reverb.  You can usually find them at a reasonable price.

• January 9, 2013 5:49 PM CST
    • I went last weekend with a group of 12 people, most of whom were musician's & a few who either own or have worked in guitar stores. The gear was pretty authentic. The only question was that one of the Tube Fender Bass amps looked possibly to be a 70's era more powerful amp than was available in the 60's. I enjoyed the movie. Especially having grown up on the east coast in an Italian Family, I felt at times as if I was watching my own life onscreen.Since I work in the film business, someone gave me an advance copy of the soundtrack. It's on vinyl! & it's a 2 record set. I've not had a chance to listen to it all, but so far no complaints.

• January 9, 2013 12:32 PM CST
    • I didn't get into punk and new wave until '82 when I started jr. high school (or middle school as it's called now). As a kid that would get bored with "normal" and "mainstream" music, I was always on the lookout for different and unusual bands. Living in a culturally behind-the-times city like Roanoke (VA), finding anything cool was almost next to impossible. Only by catching "Video Jukebox" on HBO did I come across anything that came close, such as Devo, the Cars, the Police, etc. Sure, KISS were mega, but even by '82 they were considered passe, and NOBODY even really knew who the Ramones were (unless they did see "Rock 'N' Roll High School"). So it was '82 that I got my first exposure to punk culture, thanks to the rich kids, who were in tune to especially the British scene and what was going on in Southern California. These kids would wear pins, t-shirts, have cassettes that they would order from Thrasher Mag, and that's where I picked up on it all. I made mental notes on the bands they were into, and just started devouring everything I could at a local second-hand record shop. My first few purchases were Devo's "New Traditionalists", Black Flag's "Damaged" LP, the B-52's ("Wild Planet"), the Clash ("Combat Rock"), and Dead Kennedys ("Plastic Surgery Disasters"). I would pick up copies of Rolling Stone, Thrasher, and eventually Maximum Rock 'N' Roll, just to read about anybody and everybody that was making underground noise. I had one friend who would make me killer mix tapes of all the hardcore vinyl that he would special order, and by this time we had two record shops that was starting to cater to the growing punk scene here. It got a lot easier buying SST releases and Circle Jerks t-shirts for example. Plus, I was ordering tapes from the ROIR catalogues, and it pretty much didn't matter what I got from there, because I dug it all (Fleshtones, Scientific Americans, Germs, etc.) By this time, you'd be able to go to the mall's music shop and pick up the Sex Pistols' "Never Mind the Bollocks" or everything the Clash had ever put out, along with Elvis Costello, Killing Joke, etc. Mary Huff from Southern Culture On the Skids (who is from here) started honing her musical chops while playing in a local punk band that actually recorded a local commercial for a record shop back in '84. So, for me, I guess I jumped in head first...

• January 9, 2013 11:20 AM CST
    • They were doing benefit shows to keep this place open and it just did not pan out.  These places are like moles though.....one will pop up again somewhere soon when a person(s) get motivated to do it.  Harder to do it now with the more hard ass insurance, fire, health codes you are to adhere to.  If I had a million $ I would do it.

• January 9, 2013 11:12 AM CST
    • Yeah, there's a place like that in every town, if you're lucky. 

It is great to have a venue (other than a bar or large "concert" venue) that hosts "underground" punk shows. Those places always have a hard time staying open (due to lack of money) and are usually kind of cruddy in atmosphere (due to lack of money). 

I grew up near Flint, and there has always been a decent scene for that type of thing there. It has changed names over the years, but the venue has been called Flint Local 432. It is a great all-ages venue downtown that is quite large and has hosted many local and touring bands over the years. 

My band happens to be playing there again (for the first time in a long time) this coming weekend and we are really looking forward to getting "back to our roots". 

Here is the link: http://www.flintlocal432.com/

By the way, this is KK Dirty Money, same guy as in the previous posts. I just happen to be replying to this via my other band's GPHO account. So, Ungodly 77s and KK Dirty Money are the same guy, just different bands, FYI...