Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• January 9, 2013 10:49 AM CST
    • Yes it is.....and did not get dirtied up by becoming too popular.....wish it was just a little more popular just enough to get some other bands to stop by and a little better PA....and the plumbing in the bathrooms always sucked....hahaha.

• January 9, 2013 2:51 AM CST
    • At least I purchased this piece of hell yesterday ! Seriously that's a monster with punch and power ! A real beast easy to play and for me very good looking.

• January 9, 2013 2:48 AM CST
    • Living in Bromley in the '70s it was a scene that just developed and while many of my friends went the heavy route rock, I and my closest friends connected with the anger, frustration and civil disturbances that were happening across the UK and music became a way of expressing that frustration and anger.

• January 9, 2013 2:23 AM CST
    • Thanks for nicely topping off the list for me John! How could I forget those two?! Fuzz Fest isn't in Europe so I'm gonna leave it off my list. 

EUROPE:

Purple Weekend - Spain 

Le Beat Bespoke - London, U.K.

Cosmic Trip Festival - France

Soundflat Records Ballroom Bash - Germany

Gutter Island Garage Festival - Denmark 

Hipsville - U.K. 

Funtastic Dracula - Spain

Go Sinner Go!! - Spain 

Festival Beat - Italy

John Battles said:

What about Le Beat Bespoke , Purple Weekend or Fuzz Fest (Montreal)?

Gringo Starr said:

Europe:

Gutter Island Garage Festival - Denmark (every two years)

Hipsville - U.K. (this is brand new in 2013)

Go Sinner Go!! - Spain (I think they stopped doing this one. It's been a year or two)

Festival Beat - Italy

• January 8, 2013 7:17 PM CST
    • What about Le Beat Bespoke , Purple Weekend or Fuzz Fest (Montreal)?

Gringo Starr said:

Europe:

Go Sinner Go!! - Spain (I think they stopped doing this one. It's been a year or two)

Festival Beat - Italy

• January 8, 2013 4:49 PM CST
    • Don't forget Barreiro Rocks in Portugal.

Ty Segall first show in Europe was in that festival, but lots of great bands already play here like Billy Childish, King Khan, Black Lips, Los Chicos, Pierced Arrows, Jack Oblivian, and lots more...

• January 8, 2013 4:00 PM CST
    • Europe:

Festival Beat - Italy

• January 8, 2013 2:00 PM CST
    • Yes , I passed on Randall's Island to go to The Rockaround , tho' R.I. arguably had a vastly superior bill.....The reason it was held outdoors in what was probably much too large a venue , and not super - accessible ,  I heard , was  that Steven was offered the use of the facility , because Snorrissey's big festival tour of the East Coast had been cancelled , and all the equipment for that had already been set up.....

MikeL said:

The only festival I ever went to was the one that Little Steven put together on Randall's Island. I had a great time, in spite of the weather and the technical difficulties.

Quite honestly, I'm not a big fan of festivals, mainly because you're totally at the mercy of the weather.

• January 8, 2013 1:53 PM CST
    • i SHOULD ADD: Ponderosa Stomp is'nt strictly a Garage FEST IT'S AN EVERYTHING FEST. I've seen The Remains , Kenny and The Kasuals , ? and The Mysterians , Wailers , Trashmen , Thee Midniters, Roky Erickson , Alarm Clocks , Zakary Thaks , ROY HEAD DOING A GARAGE SET WITH DEKE DICKERSON , and a too slick set by The Bad Roads and a too terrible set by Green Fuz.....Blues , Rockabilly , Soul , Instros , Country ,Gospel , R'n'B.......

One good fest I saw was The Rockaround in Vegas in '03. LOTS of dead weight , but , also , the monks , Downliners Sect , Sky Saxon and The Seeds, Loons , Barrence Whitfield , DEKE DICKERSON'S Frat Rock Band, Fortune and Maltese , Orangutones ,  A-Bones , Roy Loney , Rudy Ray Moore , Kim Fowley , and the last - ever performance by Hasil Adkins. I'd seen him better , and I'd seen him not as good. It was encouraging that so many Rockabilly people came to see him , and even Rockin' Ronnie Weiser , who asked the musical question , "John, is Hasil always this inconsistent?". "No , Ronnie , he's usually MORE nconsistent."......
      John Battles said:

PONDEROSA  STOMP.

• January 8, 2013 1:42 PM CST
    • COSMIC TRIP FESTIVAL in BOURGES, FRANCE

• January 8, 2013 1:40 PM CST
    • The only festival I ever went to was the one that Little Steven put together on Randall's Island. I had a great time, in spite of the weather and the technical difficulties.

Quite honestly, I'm not a big fan of festivals, mainly because you're totally at the mercy of the weather.

• January 8, 2013 10:33 PM CST
    • Yes, The Elevators, Five Americans , Mouse and The Traps (As The Positively 13 O'Clock) , The Chocolate Watchband (As The Hogs) , The New Breed and many others were on HBR , AT LEAST FOR A SINGLE (The mighty , mighty 5 Americans , a whole album.) , AT THE SAME TIME , THE LABEL RELEASED SOME GREAT KIDS' RECORDS WITH THEIR STABLE OF CARTOON CHARACTERS AND USUALLY UNIDENTIFIED STUDIO ROCK BANDS , Tho' Danny Hutton Of The Enemies and Three Dog Night had a hit with "Monster Shindig" from the SNOOPS AND BLABBERMOUSE (With The Gruesome Family of "She said yeah , yeah , yeah" fame , from Bedrock.)album of the same name.

• January 8, 2013 9:39 PM CST
    • I knew I could count on you for a great, thorough response, John! I always wondered how Hanna-Babera were so tied into the music community...Vince Taylor, yowza!!! I found out also that they had a record label, HBR, which released the "You're Gonna Miss Me Single" in 1966. Doesn't get much cooler than that.  

I had no idea Lux appeared on Spongebob...thanks for sharing! Those Ramones videos are well done, too.

These are great! Keep 'em coming!!

• January 8, 2013 4:56 PM CST
    • Lux Interior in "Underwater Sun" of Spongebob Cartoon

• January 8, 2013 1:27 PM CST
    • "See , children. There I am with The Clash and The Sex Pistols and...."

"What are you doing with that goat , Chef?"

"Never mind !".

There was a horrendous cartoon character in the 80's just called "Punk".

trashman said:

Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros sing It's A Rockin World at Chef Aid

• January 8, 2013 11:48 AM CST
    • Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros sing It's A Rockin World at Chef Aid

• January 8, 2013 5:01 PM CST
    • I find you can never go wrong with a solid, good old Peavey Bandit.

• January 8, 2013 3:56 PM CST
    • Hi !

I'm a tattoo artist and Rock n' Roll enthusiast from a town called Fredrikstad, in Norway .

I've been playing in different bands since 1992, both my own and as a stand in musician . To name some, Caroline and the Treats, The Oowees and the Carburetors . Right now I'm working on my new band called "the Whipshades" . We're gonna have our debut concert and 7" release march 22nd . 

Cheers, beers !

• January 8, 2013 3:47 PM CST
    • Yep! There was the Elevators sonic version of Vanilla Ice's 'Ice Ice Baby' And who can ever forget the Choir's gnarly re-doing of Tone Loc's 'Funky Cold Medina'??? hahahaha

• January 8, 2013 2:11 PM CST
    • Fantagraphics! Of Course.  It's in such a weird spot of town that I never make it out there even though it's always my intention.  Thanks.

PORK MAGAZINE said:

Check the Fantagraphics store!

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

Which outlets in Seattle happen to get it?

• January 8, 2013 1:55 PM CST
    • I was really surprised to see copies of Pork at the Ace of Cups here in Columbus this weekend.  (Pleasantly....  I picked up my first copy in Portland about a year or so ago.  Love it!)

• January 8, 2013 1:38 PM CST
    • Check the Fantagraphics store!

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

Which outlets in Seattle happen to get it?

• January 8, 2013 7:41 AM CST
    • Ha! Awesome - my band is playing Otto's on Friday. Thanks for the heads up!

• January 8, 2013 6:50 AM CST
    • I found it at Otto's Shrunken Head last weekend.  Manhattan, but close enough to BK.

Greg Hanson said:

Any places that stock it in Brooklyn? I've been checking it out online but I'd love to know if there's a place to grab a copy locally, if possible.

• January 8, 2013 1:33 PM CST
    • That's cool , I just was'nt sure if a long - overdue reissue had ever happened. BTW , if anyone cares , Bubble Puppy called themselves Sirius for a short time in the late 70's.

There's a you tube channel with some great recent footage of the reformed Bubble Puppy . I think it's AMYbubblepuppy or amybubblepuppy......It's run by Guitarist , Rod Prince's Daughter.

James Porter said:

My copy is a CD reissue. I forget what label it's on (I'm too tired to look on the shelf and see!) but I'm guessing Fallout. Legal? Can't say.

John Battles said:

I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE HEARD DEMIAN'S ALBUM , THOUGH , I DON'T KNOW IF IT WAS EVER LEGALLY REISSUED. COLLECTIBLES MIGHT HAVE A CRAP - SOUNDING CD. I DON'T LISTEN TO IT AS MUCH AS THE BUBBLE PUPPY LP ( I SCORED AN ORIGINAL COPY OF THE  DEMIAN LP AT THE OLD RECORD EXCHANGE ON MORSE , A DUSTY , DIRTY USED RECORD STORE JAMES AND I USED TO FREQUENT , PRESIDED OVER BY A CAT NAMED CHARLIE WHO MUST HAVE WEIGHED 40 POUNDS.)......ACTUALLY , MY FAVORITES ARE THE SINGLES , PARTICULARLY "Thinkin' about Thinkin'". they did anothe ralbum , in the late 70's , under another name (I'm forgetting , now.) and one in the 80's as Bubble Puppy again (Which , I read recently , is only rumored to exist. My copy is'nt some hallucination.)

Bubble Puppy probably fall under that category of  Bands that were'nt considered cool to like for a long time , but   , are , now , like Iron Butterfly , Black Oak Arkansas, Brownsville Station , etc.

James Porter said:

Well, getting back to the topic (sorta)...

I think Demian's album was better than the Bubble Puppy's.
      And yes, I know it's the same four guys on both LPs.
      As much as I love Bubble Puppy's "Hot Smoke & Sassafrass" (and the B-side, "Lonely"), I think Demian has the edge.