Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• July 3, 2012 12:19 PM CDT

• Cool Beltones tune, sounds like a punk version of the Pogues in that song. Chaz
      Jason Feldmann said:

Everyone should know, love, appreciate and emmulate the Beltones. Their On Deaf Ears EP collects all their early 7 inches onto a CD. Only 20 minutes. But 20 minutes is all you need to have your life turned upside down!!  I love this goddamn band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eS3mtb...

• July 3, 2012 11:26 AM CDT

• Whoa - the cover alone looks amazingly badass, almost have to buy it just based on that! I found some clips on amazon, sound pretty damn Hawt!
      Thanks for sharing Kopper

Chaz

kopper said:

Here's one you probably don't have, but is an amazing live recording from a Minneapolis band who was around in the late '70s playing wild & raucous garage trash when no one else was! It's insanely good...

http://www.bompstore.com/servlet/Detail?no=11972

• July 3, 2012 8:05 AM CDT
    • The Cramps: File Under Sacred Music Early Singles 1978–1981

• July 3, 2012 7:25 AM CDT
    • MFC Chicken. This album is insanely catchy.

• July 3, 2012 1:18 AM CDT
    • Anything by Shocking Blue.

• July 3, 2012 9:54 AM CDT
    • Amazing turnaround on the volumes.  Amazing it is up to Volume 8. What can I say more than "thanks" to Kopper for the conception, organisation, orchestration, etc., and thanks to all the bands who make their music available.  

• July 3, 2012 9:19 AM CDT
    • Playlist for 6/25/12

Harbor Freeway Blues/Feelings Are Meant To Be Hurt - Off!

Homework - Screaming Urge

Pogo Pogo - The Registrators

Treasure Hunt - The Electric Vomit

Jezebel - The Hex Tremors

Taped Up - The Spivs

The Kids From Boyle Heights/Sick of You - Loli & the Chones

Intelligence - Partman Parthorse

Thistle Boy - The Real McKenzies

Emergency Cases - The Undertones

Anybody Out There - The Mean Jeans

Try - The Swindlers

All This & More - Dead Boys

Nuke 'Em All - Super Aids

House of Shame - Toe Tag

Rip Off - Sham 69

Neon Lights - Revenge 88

Youth Against Facism - Sonic Youth

Go Mental - The Ramones

More Suicides Please - Thought Criminals

Demolition Boys - Girlschool

Born To Rock n Roll - Columbian Neckties

So Sad, Well? - Western Dark

Upgrade Me - MHz

New Race - Radio Birdman

Stand By Your Man - Wendy O. Williams & Lemmy Kilmister

The Wait - Pierced Arrows

Blast Off - The Birthday Party

Jet Satisfaction - Guitar Wolf

LOCAL SIZZLER: The Road - Rust Belt Demons

Roll The Dice - The Dragons

Hey Ugly - Headache City

The Habit - Motocaster

Black Mold - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion

Wig Wam Bam - The Sirens

Do The Robot - The Saints

Fat Lip - Rocket From The Crypt

Drambuie - 1313 Mockingbird Lane

Radar Eyes - The Godz

Soul Search - The Repeaters

Ankle Breaker - The Vulcaneers

Shake It - The Groundhogs

This Game Called Girl - The Fuzztones

All Of Your Love - Thee Mighty Caesars

Bo Bo Boogaloo - Kid Congo & the Pink Monkeybirds

Love at a Psychedelic Velocity - The Human Expression

Charge It - The Playboys

The Track - Girl Trouble

I Once Was a Man - The Tundra F***s

The Red Monkey - The Mants

Action Woman - The Litter

Plate In My Head - The Oblivians

Everything Goes - The Cramps

Complicated - Dr. Explosion

Crawdaddy Simone - The Syndicats

Bond Girl - The 5.6.7.8.'s

Playlist for 7/2/12

Cherry Pop - The Spastics

Just What I Need - Nikki & the Corvettes

Just A Little Sign - Dogbreath

Cretin Hop - The Ramones

I Owe It To The Girls - Jeannie & the Tits

Youngblood In The River - The Hex Dispensers

Okay - The Shoes

Ichiban - New Luck Toy

Life Is Gross - Overnight Lows

I Wanna Be Rich - Cold Cock

Doin' The Banana Split - Young Fresh Fellows

Mis Au Pas - TV Killers

Uh Oh - The Limit

My Machine - The Humpers

New Rose - The Damned

Can't Win Your Heart/SOS/Guys Like That - Midnight Snaxxx

Automatic Boy - Chinese Millionaires

Horizontal Action - Psycho Surgeons

Get Stuffed - Teengenerate

Under My Hood - Gluecifer

Can The Can - Suzi Quatro

Action Satisfaction - New Wave Hookers

Shine On Me - The Chronics

Swampland - The Scientists

Funtime - Iggy Pop

Self Destructo Blues - Turbonegro

LOCAL SIZZLER: High Heel Sneakers - Girls Take Over

City Slang - Sonic's Rendezvous Band

Tell Me That You Love Me - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion

Nights in Venice - The Saints

20th Century Boy - T.Rex

Gimme Gimme Gimme R&R - The Plungers

Deuces Wild - Link Wray

Hindu Gods of Love - Lipstick Killers

Land of Alohas - Les Chefs

Here Come The Girls - Royal Beat Conspiracy

Mud In Your Eye - The Insomniacs

13 Women - The Renegades

Scum City - Roy Loney & the Phantom Movers

Je New Suis Pas Tres Drogue - The Liminanas

No More Lies - The Gruesomes

Married For The Weekend - Demolition Doll Rods

Clever Way To Crawl - Persian Claws

Screamin' Skull - The Fleshtones

Addicted To Fuzz - The Crusaders

Beat Party - Ritchie & the Squires

Corned Beef & Whiskey - Chum

Hot Generation - The Pandoras

Womp Womp - Freddie & the Heartaches

Get Out of My House - Supercharger

Ready To Ride - Bleed

• July 3, 2012 7:47 AM CDT
    • Just remembered - North Effects based in London does a pretty decent FZ-1A clone (he calls a 'Primitive') for only about £70 or so. It has no fancy paint job, just a good sounding box using non original trannies but powered by a single pencil battery just like the originals. He's a great guy to deal with (I'm not affiliated) and it destroys the Boss facsimilie of a maestro...

• July 3, 2012 7:23 AM CDT
    • A lot of the Sonics sound was acheived by pushing the amps and red-lining the mixing desk I believe. That Outsiders track (and most of the fuzz sounds on the BFTG series) is almost certainly a Gibson Maestro Fuzz-Tone (probably an FZ-1A), judging both by the sound and the year ('66). The Seeds used a Maestro fuzz-tone. The Mosrite fuzzrite is a really fantastic fuzz but is more along the lines of Dave Allan and the Arrows, the Ventures and of course Iron Butterfly. The Ashbass clone is a pretty good and great value clone but I reckon the Mahoney fuzzrite clone, Jerms, DAM stuff is better, although it will cost more. The Boss FZ-5 maestro patch is to an original maestro as a mobile phone photograph of a Van Gogh is to the original painting, imo. It will give you a flavour of the maestro and the way it changes your approach to playing but has some ugly background digital artefacts, gates absolutely and abrubtly (unlike an original) and has no depth of character to the sound - a 2D rendering of a sculpture perhaps?! As far as FZ-1/FZ-1A clones go, the best I have heard use the original transistors and that would really be Jerms or Creepyfingers. Ghost effects makes a very good FZ-1 clone using non-original transistors and is consequently much cheaper. A Big Muff was really a late 60s/early 70s fuzz after Hendrix convinced the guitarists of the world that they needed loads of wailing sustain and I don't personally feel it will get you anywhere close to the tones you are describing. The best resource regarding the early fuzzboxes that I have found would be the DAM forum, frightening amount of knowledge held within those pages!

Conclusion? Maestro Fuzz-Tone FZ-1A or FZ-1. Good luck with your quest anyways!

• July 3, 2012 7:20 AM CDT
    • Just added a bunch more of you! (And, oh my, what great taste you all have. Of course.)

• July 3, 2012 5:53 AM CDT
    • What about this effect?

I've just bought it used for 50 € (great price compared to normal new price that is around 100 €)

Anybody used that?

• July 3, 2012 4:36 AM CDT
    • You're welcome:)

Jerrie O'Koon-Hughes said:

I looked through your pictures.  Thanks for sharing.

MikeL said:

Yes, his hair is spectacular, but is it his own?  All things aside about his personality, he is a great performer, and I place him alongside Jagger, Iggy, and Stiv as one of the great frontmen.

I saw a show from each of those tours.  I saw the first one in September at Irving Plaza in NYC, and I saw the other two at the Beachland Ballroom in Cleveland in October and November.  I have some pictures posted here, if you're interested.  I hope you liked the go go dancers, because I took A LOT of pictures of them, one in particular;)

Sorry to hear this.  You really can't beat them for great garage rock.  I saw them only once live at one of the Little Steven tours but their show was great.  Greg Provost seemed to be on another planet but you couldn't take your eyes off him.  He also has some of the best rock n roll hair, ever!

• July 2, 2012 10:23 PM CDT
    • I looked through your pictures.  Thanks for sharing.

MikeL said:

Yes, his hair is spectacular, but is it his own?  All things aside about his personality, he is a great performer, and I place him alongside Jagger, Iggy, and Stiv as one of the great frontmen.

I saw a show from each of those tours.  I saw the first one in September at Irving Plaza in NYC, and I saw the other two at the Beachland Ballroom in Cleveland in October and November.  I have some pictures posted here, if you're interested.  I hope you liked the go go dancers, because I took A LOT of pictures of them, one in particular;)

Sorry to hear this.  You really can't beat them for great garage rock.  I saw them only once live at one of the Little Steven tours but their show was great.  Greg Provost seemed to be on another planet but you couldn't take your eyes off him.  He also has some of the best rock n roll hair, ever!

• July 2, 2012 8:26 PM CDT
    • Thanks for the Plan 9 update!

• July 2, 2012 8:11 PM CDT
    • plan 9 were great in the early days...the last LP i heard was Ham & Sam Jammin' 1989, and by then they sounded way more like a 'normal' rock band and much less psychedelic or garage...it wasn't terrible, but not great either....seems like they kept putting out records for another 10 years...the Chesterfield Kings, on the other hand, were always great!...when i saw them at Little Stevens thing in Seattle, they blew the Supersuckers and NY Dolls away...spoke to a couple of them after and they seemed genuinely shocked that i drove 3 hours to see them...anyone who loves them should check out St Phillips Escalator...PRODUCED BY ANDY BABIUK & GREG PREVOST, and they sound VERY close to CK's...interstingly, they opened for Cannibal Corpse once!...not sure if this link will work others, but if it doesn't, look em up on here.

http://garagepunk.ning.com/profile/StPhillipsEscalator?xg_source=profiles_friendList

Mon Slav Chaos said:

Found out about them and Plan 9 around the same time in the early 80s.

Preferred Plan 9.  Do give them credit for tenacity, though.

What happened to Plan 9?

• July 2, 2012 7:29 PM CDT
    • Yes, his hair is spectacular, but is it his own?  All things aside about his personality, he is a great performer, and I place him alongside Jagger, Iggy, and Stiv as one of the great frontmen.

• July 3, 2012 2:24 AM CDT
    • It's been six months or more since I've joined and i only just realized that i haven't actually posted yet...

Hi.

I'm AJ.

From the UK.

Lover of Music but really can't play... i need both hands and a strong bag to carry a tune.

Not in a Band [see last statement] but love listening to music.

Anything from Native America Pow-Wow to 80s Goth...

• July 2, 2012 8:20 PM CDT
    • I gotta confess that I've been digging on the Hives' two most recent albums - Black & White Album and Lex Hives.

• July 3, 2012 12:42 AM CDT
    • DO YOU MEAN THE COMMERCIAL RELEASE , JUST CALLED "GLAM ROCK"? 

GREAT STUFF. There's a volume 2 , not released in the states , with Sparks , Alvin Stardust , Mud , Suzi Quatro and the usual suspects. 

Frank S said:

A good friend gave me a video on VHS many years ago with all the old school glam fav's like Sweet, Gary Glitter, Slade, T-Rex with the footage being sourced from American Bandstand style British television.  This was fantastic since there was no such thing as YouTube back then.  I may have to dig that up.  Overall, I think Sweet had the catchiest/hookiest songs to back up their outlandish persona.  Check 'em out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp_-L1wVVZA

• July 3, 2012 12:39 AM CDT
    • Nice video , thanks. It's funny , a lot of people did'nt get hip to the fact that Sweet was toughening up their sound until they moved away from Chinnichap. One only needs to hear their first (U.S.) LP , which has elements of their earlier Bubblegum sound ,  but , it's as much a precursor to Punk as Slade (Whom they were being compared to , for the first time , around 72 - 73.).

Frank S said:

A good friend gave me a video on VHS many years ago with all the old school glam fav's like Sweet, Gary Glitter, Slade, T-Rex with the footage being sourced from American Bandstand style British television.  This was fantastic since there was no such thing as YouTube back then.  I may have to dig that up.  Overall, I think Sweet had the catchiest/hookiest songs to back up their outlandish persona.  Check 'em out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp_-L1wVVZA

• July 2, 2012 10:59 PM CDT
    • I'd probably push someone out a window if they were dancing ON my LP.

Manu said:

I also agree! "On Fyre" makes you wild! When I left my last apartment, I had a party to celebrate this with friends and it's while dancing on this LP that one of them passed through a window! We had to go to the hospital at 4AM, completely drunk! "Don't give it up now", "Help you Ann", etc are great tunes! I don't know if the guys are still touring in Europe or not...

Mark Z said:

I agree about 'On Fyre.' A great album!

LastofmyKind said:

The Lyres - "On Fyre" 1984 or The Monks "Black Monk Time" 1966. I also would throw in The Black Lips "Let It Bloom" 2005.

• July 2, 2012 8:41 PM CDT
    • Link Wray played in our town about 6 months before he died - he was 76.