Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• June 30, 2012 11:25 AM CDT
    • What really sucks, though, is that Feathered Apple deleted their account here because of this stupid bullshit. As hard as it is to actually get people to COME HERE and use this site (and keep them coming back), it kills me to see people actually leave the site because of a little flamewar over the Chesterfield Kings, for fuck's sake. Take that as a lesson to watch what you say or post publicly about certain band members and other people involved with the scene. Posting that you've "heard stories" about people isn't cool... this he-said/she-said crap doesn't belong here. Other folks reading this site may very well be close friends of theirs and will take it very personally. Remember the Golden Rule, gang, and put the shoe on the other foot... how would you like it if someone posted something like this about one of your friends on another message board that they "heard stories" that your friend was an asshole or whatever... you wouldn't like it, either. So let's avoid this kinda crap here, please. Thank you.

MikeL said:

Don't worry, Rob.  Shit happens.  

Rob Filardo said:

whoops...now look what i started...sorry guys.

• June 30, 2012 10:17 AM CDT
    • Long live the Kings!

• June 30, 2012 10:14 AM CDT
    • 1981 - Jessie's Girl - Rick Springfield

Sorry, couldn't resist.

• June 30, 2012 7:05 AM CDT
    • Sorry about that (the above) -- the forum app seems to have froze up.

I'm 65. Does that make me the old man of this forum?  Been playing since around `60 or `61, in my first band by at least `62 -- actually a two many duo called, appropriately enough, the Bi-Tones.

The Bi-Tones morphed into a series of short lived but locally successful bands until in 1964 we found the right combination as The Abstracts. By May of that year we were in the studio and in 1965 our classic recording "Always Always" was released.

This past November all of our studio stuff (and a couple of live tracks) were released on a fine LP "Hey, Let's Go Now!"  (http://www.break-a-way.de/bands/abtracts.html

All the living members of the band, btw, are still making music. Too old indeed! :D

-don

• June 30, 2012 6:38 AM CDT

• matthew rosedon said:

Any advance on 58?

david kanter said:

You got me beat.

G. Wood said:

Dave, I'm 58.

• June 29, 2012 4:24 PM CDT
    • I think somebody said 62 or so a few pages back.

• June 29, 2012 12:18 PM CDT
    • Any advance on 58?

david kanter said:

You got me beat.

G. Wood said:

Dave, I'm 58.

• June 29, 2012 12:05 PM CDT
    • You got me beat.

G. Wood said:

Dave, I'm 58.

• June 30, 2012 8:52 AM CDT
    • He he... remarkable.. loved the dancing boy's part.

Mike said:

How do you top that!!!!!!! Funny creepy and bad all rolled up in one.

Here, back to the minor league bad.

• June 30, 2012 8:20 AM CDT
    • I just checked, I don't seem to be signed up, but some of my music is on there.

• June 30, 2012 7:06 AM CDT
    • I will be on the air and the web from 1:00-3:00PM EST on Saturday June 30.  You can listen at 89.7 WITR-FM in Rochester, NY or streaming live at http://witr.rit.edu

• June 29, 2012 9:44 PM CDT
    • Just received this press release from their record company:

FLESHTONES QUATRO x QUATRO.

Yep Roc Records is pleased to announce the release of the latest effort by garage rock band, The Fleshtones, titled Los Fleshtones Quatro x Quatro on August 21. The four song EP was recorded in Spain in February of 2010 and includes four songs recorded in Spanish. The EP will be released on vinyl and digital only. In addition to the new recordings, The Fleshtones will be playing the upcoming Yep Roc 15 celebration in October in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

Recorded last February while on tour in Gijon, Spain, the album was co-produced by longtime friend of the band and former member of the Spanish rock sensation Dr. Explosion, Jorge Muñoz-Cobo Gonzalez. Finally taking Gonzalez up on his offer to record in his studio with vintage gear, they recorded the EP with little time to spare.

The story of this record goes way back to our original bass player, Marek Pakulski, finding a bunch of albums including ‘Los Johnny Jets A Go Go’ in the trash in front of Joey Ramone’s Lower Eastside tenement one night in 1977, ” says Fleshtone Peter Zaremba.  “Johnny Jets were a typical Mexican ’60s rock and roll group -covering top-ten hits of the time like ‘Wooly Bully’ in Spanish with varying degrees of competence — just the thing to appeal to The Fleshtones. Rather than the Spanish language versions of overly-familiar tunes like ‘Hang On Sloopy’, what really caught our ears were two more-or-less original tracks ‘No Tengo Dinero’ and ‘Todos Queremos A Lupe’ (which seemed  to at least be inspired by Johnny Thunder’s  1962 hit ‘Loop De Loop’). We decided we would record these two songs ourselves as soon as possible. If nothing else, The Fleshtones are good for their word!

Often tagged as garage rock revivalists, The Fleshtones mix the fuzz guitar and Farfisa organ sounds of that genre with rockabilly, ’50s and ’60s R&B, and surf into a potent retro stew the group likes to call “super rock.” The group formed in 1976 in Queens, NY with vocalist/keyboardist Peter Zaremba, guitarist Keith Streng, bassist Jan Marek Pakulski, and drummer Bill Milhizer and aimed to return rock & roll to the simplicity and unselfconsciousness of the ’50s and early ’60s.

Los Fleshtones Quatro x Quatro Track Listing:
      1. Llevo Un Tigre En Mi Guitar
      2. No Tengo Dinero
      3. Todos Queremos A Lupe
      4. Acero e Iman

The Fleshtones Tour Dates:
      June 21 – Bowery Electric, New York, NY TICKETS
      June 22 – Dogfish Head Brewery,  Rehoboth Beach, DE INFO
      June 23- North Star Bar, Philadelphia, PA TICKETS

• June 29, 2012 8:07 PM CDT
    • Yeah, I actually have the first and the third, but not the second one. I thought ten was a bit salty, especially given the condition it was in. I actually didn't even look at the vinyl it's self as the cover had seem splits, water damage or something of the sort.

• June 29, 2012 7:03 PM CDT
    • I don't know the particulars. I would'nt buy it for $10 unless it was almost stone mint. I LIKE the Nazz , mind you , but , their stuff is'nt THAT rare. It still turns up . I have'nt heard of it being released on anything other than the red vinyl......But , it's possible they released it on red vinyl first , then reverted to standard black vinyl when they saw it was'nt taking off....

I have it , and I can't even remember if it was a gatefold (But , I don't think it was.). I PAID ABOUT 5 0R 6 Dollars for it. "Nazz Nazz" MAY BE THE LESS ATTAINABLE OF THE THREE , I DON'T KNOW.

• June 29, 2012 6:03 PM CDT
    • Does anybody know about pressing info on Nazz Nazz (2nd album). Discogs and google were not much help. Saw a beat up copy today for 10, but passed on it cause of its condition. Was wondering if this was issued as a gatefold, like the first one? Also saw some on red vinyl, is this the first pressing?

• June 29, 2012 7:32 PM CDT
    • I'd say any list of "Bad Gurl" songs needs to include "All Women Are Bad". Ivy said the group was accused of sexism for releasing the , obviously tongue - in - cheek , song , even though SHE wrote it !   I'd say "Like a Bad Girl Should" , but that's almost playful (Esp. if you've seen the video. ).

Alex said:

Maybe I'm being too literal, but what about "All Women Are Bad" by the Cramps?

Also, anything by the Donnas.  Those girls were trouble!  I've always liked "It's on the Rocks."

We're over, I'm done
      Yeah, it's time to have some real fun
      So I'm callin' all my ladies
      We're gonna key your Mercedes

[Chorus]
      Well, you're the kinda guy
      Who needs attention around the clock
      Well you can't even talk
      'Cause baby, it's on the rocks
      Yeah, it's on the rocks
      Well it's me you gotta detox
      'Cause baby, it's on the rocks!

Your luvin's like a car crash
      You're gone and I got whiplash
      You're a stain I can't get out
      I tried bleach and I tried Shout!

I apologize for all the noise
      I just had to tell all the boys
      That you'd rather have a Mai Tai
      Then a tall glass of Bud Dry

[Chorus]

It's on the rocks
      (echo)It's on the rocks
      Yeah, it's on the rocks
      (echo)Yeah, it's on the rocks
      It's on the rocks
      (echo)It's on the rocks
      Baby, it's on the rocks

• June 29, 2012 7:22 PM CDT
    • Nice. The Potatoes , a MALE group , covered it , too, around the same time The Cramps released their version. The Potatoes , based in Dallas , were an offshoot of the original Shitty Beatles. Anyone else using the name , now , only does because of the joke in "Wayne's World", released at least 5 years after the Shitty Beatles started. I do know how they came to use it , too.....BFD , I know.

kissoffboardy said:

"Get Off The Road", the theme from the Herschell Gordon Lewis film "She Devils On Wheels", is a trash classic about "maneaters on motorbikes". It's been covered by both The Cramps (after the "Girl on a Motorcycle" trailer in the vid below) and The Lunachicks.

• June 29, 2012 7:14 PM CDT
    • Did someone beat me to it? "Black Mona Lisa" by The Retreds (Back From The Grave #7.)

Not only does it have lyrics about a judo-choppin', ass kickin' femme fatale that'd do Tura Satana proud , they even lifted the hubcaps from "Boss" by The Rumblers , a good ten years or more before The Cramps did the same , and came up with "Garbageman".

Dean Carter - "Rebel Woman" . Garage Punk meets Crime Jazz in an atmospheric , tuff as nails rocker about a man longing for a woman in tall black boots , even though it means his DOOM.

• June 29, 2012 5:58 PM CDT
    • Playlist June 28/2012, All Canadian show for Canada Day.

1. The Subhumans....Oh Canaduh...live at The Cedar Lounge in London Ontario 6/12/81.

2. Mainline...Oh Canada...from their 1971 live LP, Bump'N'Grind Revue.

3. Nihilist Spasm Band...No Canada...from a 1967 flexi disk.

4. NoMeansNo...Oh Canaduh...Subhumans cover on Allied Records.

5. Stompin' Tom....My Stompin' Ground...1972 7". The Stomper is an icon in Canada and unknown elsewhere. He's been playing for many many years and live, he stomps on a piece of plywood as he plays, hence The Stomper moniker.

6. Jerry Jerry and the Sons Of Rhythm Orchestra....Living On Top Of The USA...from the 1985 OG LP, Road Gore: The Band That Drank Too Much. Faves here at WW HQ's, Jerry always had a great take on political  issues with his quick wit.

7. Ralph...Maybe Ontario...from the Sophisticated Boom Boom CD from 1997. Ralph is the grandfather of Canpunk and was the well dressed doorman at Toronto's first punk club, The Crash'n'Burn. He presently runs a gallery/store in Montreal where he occasionally showcases live acts.

8. Evil Farm Children...Hangover...from the Evilling CD. Ottawa greasy rock'n'roll trio that cover Max Webster's Hangover, a band that was big in Ontario back in the mid 70's and nowhere else.

9. B-Sides...Underground Radio Star...from the 1981 Vancouver Independence LP and sums up the songs on this radio show.

10. Evil Eyes...Jerry Lee vs The Wolfman...from a soon to be release 7" from this Toronto combo.

11. The Hypnotics...Radio City...from their recently released LP, Static Fuzz Radio. Windsor Ontario based 3 piece that should come up to London to play.

12. The Hypnotics...Run Johnny Run...from their 2010 CD, Soul At Seven.

13. Guess Who....Heart Broken Bopper...from their 1972 LP, Rockin'.

14. Nardwuar....Winnipeg 64...from a 1993 7" EP in which Nardwuar yammers about some of the cool combos to come out of Winnipeg in 1964.

15. The Quid...Crazy Things...from Winnipeg 1965-66 LP on VOXX Records.

16. Guess Who...It's My Pride....probably my fave Guess Who song.

17. Satan And The D-Men...She'll Lie..also from the Winnipeg 1965-66 LP although they were from Kenora Ontario, which is way closer to Winnipeg than Toronto, hence they recorded in Winnipeg.

18. Jim  Ashby...Speed City...on Speed City Records and the start of our set of songs about  London Ontario.

19. Osterberg....London Eats Its Own...from a 10" they released.

20. Terminal Wallys...The East End...from The New Old School CD and they will be playing friday July 13th at Call The Office, after the memorial for Katz Basic.

21. UIC...Shamrock Bang...from the Our Garage LP and about a hotel in Lucan which is just north of London.

22. Flying Squad....Brian Mulroney....an ode to a former prime minister of Canada, that makes our  present prime minister look like a saint.

23. T.H.E. ...Grilled Cheese...from a recent demo and these guys will be opening for the Living Deadbeats when they play at Brennan's here in London on Saturday July 7th.

24. Legend Killers...Gunpowder...from their Better Than Hammerin' 7" from 1989 on What Wave Records.

25. Boy From Nowhere....Teenage Head...from a mid 80's demo.

26. Radio 4...I Don't Wanna Go To New York City...early 80's basement demo and rebuttal to The Demics New York City.

27. The Generics...Oh Well....1983 basement demo and a Demics cover.

28. The Demics... Blueboy...early 80's live recording from Toronto that someone uncovered recently.

29. Thundermug...Africa....a 1972 single that actually made AM radio charts back in the day.

30. Slugfest....Water Road...from the CD, The Port, songs about Port Stanley, just south of London.

31. Pagliaro...Loving You Ain't Easy...from an early 70's LP, just called Pagliaro. Virtually unknown out of his native Quebec, Pag had a few early 70's AM songs playlisted in the early to mid 70's.

32. Pagliaro...What The Hell I Got...from the LP Pagliaro I.

33. catl...Get Outta My Car...from the Soon This Will All Be Gone CD...catl were in town playing at Call The Office the day of this show.

34. catl...Don't Drag Me Away...recorded live at Call The Office, 3/16/12/

35. Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners....Jumps Giggles and Shouts...from It Came From Canada Volume 3 on OG Records.

36. Budokan...The Queen's English...from their brand new CD, Spin A Little Gold. Victoria based combo who obviously are influenced by Cheap Trick.

37. Viletones....Sign Of The Times...from their What It Feels Like To Kill CD.

38. 905's...Rock'n'Roll Product...from a 2008 demo, Brampton Ontario powerpop/rock'n'roll combo that doesn't play out near often enough.

39. 905's....Hamilton Head...recorded live at Call The Office 4/21/97 for a birthday bash. My fave song by this combo!

40. Simply Saucer...Electro Rock...from their Cyborgs Revisited CD. Possibly the coolest combo to come out of Canada!

Thanx for all  the phone-ins, emails, facebook messages etc...hope you dug all this Canadian tuneage. Back next week for a regular radio show.

Here's the links to the archived show:

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1800.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1830.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3

• June 29, 2012 4:08 PM CDT
    • Show #380: "The Eggman Collection #115"

Every 3 weeks I do a series of shows called The Eggman Collection which is a big potpourri of every song I've ever liked in my life...EVER! It's literally a huge mixing bowl full of songs written onto tiny pieces of paper. Over 15,000 songs that I've been compiling for the past 20-plus years of my life. Every song I've ever liked has gone into this bowl, and every three weeks I draw them out one-by-one and play them for you in no particular order. A mix of everything and anything I like, no matter what genre, era, style or year of release...if I like it, then I'll play it! No repeats of the same song ever! Tune in tonight (Friday) at 10pm EST for the 115th installment of The Eggman Collection and hear bands and artists like: The Mothers Of Invention, The Everly Brothers, The Knight Riders, Far Cry, Banchee, Tina & David Meltzer, The Spiders, The Ventures, The Grass Company, The Zombies, The Turtles, The Clique, The Hollies, Fleetwood Mac, Vanilla Fudge, The Brass Toad, The Byrds, Jason Crest, The Lemon Pipers, Nucleus, The Lords, Eloy and many others!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show by "liking it" on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 6748511750
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• June 29, 2012 11:21 AM CDT
    • It did appear that there was more of a fan personal connection on Dee Dee's grave (notice the lipstick prints) but Johnny's is in such a visible spot right along the drive, the cemetery folks probably don't let stuff like beer cans and what not stay on his very long. It was cool to see the statue on Johnny's memorial. It's kind of in your face especially since it is a very traditional cemetery despite all of the famous people buried there. If you are ever in Hollywood you have to go.

John Battles said:

Beautiful pictures. I hear Dee Dee gets a lot more stuff from fans than Johnny. I did'nt know the line from " Highest Trails Above" was inscribed on Dee Dee's tombstone.  I think The Ramones did just two songs from "Subterranean Jungle" , when I first saw them in '84 , and that was one of them.....Some critic said it was a silly song. Whatever. I always liked it , especially that machine gun guitar break (Again , probably Walter Lure.).
      Dalevis said:

Went to the Hollywood Forever Cemetery on Monday to pay my respects to Johnny and Dee Dee. It was comforting to know that they weren't buried in a pet cemetery. They didn't want that.

• June 29, 2012 10:58 AM CDT
    • Get ready! Volume 8 ("Supercharged Sounds") will be coming out two weeks early... on Monday July 2!! The page won't be live until that morning. Cheers!