Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• July 2, 2012 6:55 AM CDT
    • If it's raining - Rainy Monday by The Rifles

• July 1, 2012 4:53 PM CDT
    • Lust For Life and it is Monday morning here...

• July 1, 2012 4:02 PM CDT
    • ....I don't usually listen to music in the morning , anymore , got out of the habit. When I was in High School , I had a little Radio Shack tape player , so I could play music while taking a shower , and not electrocute myself.....My favorite song to start the day was "Strange Boutique" by The Monochrome Set , which I had on a tape of DJ George Gimarc's show. I did'nt know who it was by , and the chorus is not in the title . It took 31 years for me to find a copy. It's still more "Garage" than much of what passes for Garage , today.

Afte rthat , pretty much anything by The RAMONES WOULD BE MY DAY STARTER.

• July 2, 2012 5:53 AM CDT
    • I think when you get older your world just expands. Mine doesn't EXCLUDE garage, I've just been able to appreciate more different things, and finding the same SPIRIT in other places. Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" is coming from the same place as "Anarchy in the U.K." and the chilling sneering works of Shostakovich have that same no wave feel as The Honeymoon Killers. 

• July 2, 2012 12:34 AM CDT
    • That's a good answer.

Steve said:

I only feel like I'm too old to rock when I forget to take inuproferen after a gig.

• July 1, 2012 11:09 PM CDT
    • I only feel like I'm too old to rock when I forget to take inuproferen after a gig.

• June 30, 2012 4:13 PM CDT
    • The Quests who sang "Scream Loud" also got back together recently.

• July 1, 2012 10:57 PM CDT
    •  I , personally , would'nt call Dead Moon "Grunge". They were around before the movement picked up any momentum , and , of course , Fred Cole has been performing and recording since the 60's. As Cole himself  described it , "We're not a Retro 60's band. We just like it raw , ragged and honest.".  I don't think Fred was down on the Grunge thing , but , none of those bands were mentioned in "Dirty Noise " his homage to the sound of The Great Northwest. But , that had nothing to do with the pitifully short segment they (And Girl Trouble.) garnered in "Hype !".  My friends and I were calling The Sonics , Link Wray , anything dirty - sounding like that from the past , "Grunge Rock" before it came to take on an entirely different meaning.  It's absurd that "Garage Fans" would'nt have accepted Dead Moon at Estrus Shock. Where did they think that   stuff came from? I think they got a better reception than Andrew describes , at The Cavestomp in 1999.

The Rex Arms said:

dead moon were a grunge band from portland.  you can find their 7" in jukeboxes there.

• July 1, 2012 10:22 PM CDT
    • EARLY TO MID 80'S WERE A GOOD TIME , ON MANY LEVELS . THERE WAS  A NEW BAND , EVERY WEEK. BUT MOST PEOPLE ONLY CHOOSE TO REMEMBER THE STUFF THAT WAS'NT EVEN GOOD , IN THE FIRST PLACE.   YOU CAN WATCH "URGH" , AND MAYBE NOT AGREE TO LIKING EVERY BAND , BUT , THE IDEA THAT THIS WAS ALL HAPPENING AT THE SAME TIME , AND THEY MADE A FILM ABOUT IT. IT WAS VERY EXCITING , STILL IS.

LIKE YOUR PIC OF THE DETROIT/NYC "SUPERGROUP" RAMONICS RENDEZSTOOGE BAND.

• July 1, 2012 5:10 AM CDT
    • That's quite a good thumb rule for the 50's to 70's, fully agree! And I heard that 1960 was the worst one, trapped in between 56-58 birth and early British bommers by 62... Now, if we turn ourselves to more recent period, I guess the most exciting one probably was around 80-81 with the Songs the Lord Taught Us by the Cramps, the Fire of Love by Gun Club and all the "garage revivalist" wave coming up...

• June 30, 2012 4:21 PM CDT
    • Just "Jessie's Girl"? Did'nt Aldo Nova and Donny Iris break big in that year , too?

KIDDING ASIDE , It's so hard to nail it down to one year , but , someone said these things happened in 10 year intervals -  

1956 - Rock'n'Roll (Though hardly new.) is at it's peak.

1966 - Garage Punk and early Psych peaks.

1976 - US and UK Punk BUSTS OPEN WIDE , with Western Europe , Canada , Australia , etc. right at their heels.

That's not to discount the importance of the years '54 , '55 , '64 , '65 ,  OR '77 , or The Postwar Blues and R'n'B , some of which we might as well call Rock'n'Roll (Wynonie Harris , Big Joe Turner , Amos Milburn , The Treniers , Louis Jordan , Johnny Otis and Louis Prima.), because Rockin is Fuckin'.   

• June 30, 2012 1:42 PM CDT
    • hey hamster,i thought that was funny.

• July 1, 2012 5:44 PM CDT
    • I use an Ibanez Sound Tank 60s Fuzz (FZ5).  They were inexpensive when they came out.  I picked up a new one for $25 back then.  Like everything old or discontinued (except me) the have become "collector's items" on eBay.  I really like the sound of the pedal, despite the plastic housing.  You can get a real convincing mid-sixties "back from the grave" style fuzz sound.

Crank it through a fender tube amp with tremolo, you'll get a way cool pre-summer of love (i.e. pre-hippy) psychedelic sound.

• July 1, 2012 4:22 PM CDT
    • ......I get ya.  THIS MAY BE THE ONLY BAD VERSION OF "APACHE" I'VE HEARD......

• July 1, 2012 4:03 PM CDT
    • I was talking metaphorically, of course. I bet Jet Harris would be turning, so you can run the National Grid off him. 

John Battles said:

Hank Marvin's still alive . I never heard anything to the contrary.    I checked some Wikipedia pages  , and they all had him listed as still living , and 70 years of age (Further disspelling the idiot theory that you can be too old to rock.) . Jet Harris , The Shadows' original Bassist and solo artist in his own right , died recently , but , Hank and The Shadows are still doing sporadic reunion shows , with and without Cliff Richard.    I'm sure this video would put his off his food , though.....Jorgen Ingman , too , were he still living.  

Chris Henniker said:

I bet Hank Marvin's spinning in his grave, as it is so excruciatingly bad. Ironically, the punks loved Apache because of its simplicity. Being a Shadows fan, I think this could be the worst version of Apache I've come across.

Zxath said:

Jan Terri ..I had a true WTF moment!!! She's got it all! Fantastic!!....

Here's a totally crap video...a hideous version of Apache, with images that explain why punk happened. However as 7ts vids go, it really is nudging the cliche, its so bad its good...

• July 1, 2012 3:53 PM CDT
    •    Hank Marvin's still alive . I never heard anything to the contrary.    I checked some Wikipedia pages  , and they all had him listed as still living , and 70 years of age (Further disspelling the idiot theory that you can be too old to rock.) . Jet Harris , The Shadows' original Bassist and solo artist in his own right , died recently , but , Hank and The Shadows are still doing sporadic reunion shows , with and without Cliff Richard.    I'm sure this video would put his off his food , though.....Jorgen Ingman , too , were he still living.  

Chris Henniker said:

I bet Hank Marvin's spinning in his grave, as it is so excruciatingly bad. Ironically, the punks loved Apache because of its simplicity. Being a Shadows fan, I think this could be the worst version of Apache I've come across.

Zxath said:

Here's a totally crap video...a hideous version of Apache, with images that explain why punk happened. However as 7ts vids go, it really is nudging the cliche, its so bad its good...

• July 1, 2012 1:21 PM CDT
    • I bet Hank Marvin's spinning in his grave, as it is so excruciatingly bad. Ironically, the punks loved Apache because of its simplicity. Being a Shadows fan, I think this could be the worst version of Apache I've come across.

Zxath said:

• July 1, 2012 8:24 AM CDT
    • Yep, the 'Kings have been defunct for a while now. But they stayed together in one form or another for over 30 years, and were one of a handful of bands that brought the wyld garage sounds to a dive near you, live and rockin'. It's was one thing to sit around with your buddies and some brews and listen to Nuggets/Pebbles, but to go out and see this band that stepped out of a time machine playing in your local 'new wave' bar was nothing short of amazing. I was lucky enough to be there for their first gig (making the rounds for years on a bootleg video), and to work for them for a little, and pretty much catch their whole career. Amazing, amazing stuff that helped to give birth to a scene that's still going strong to this day. R.I.P. the Chesterfield Kings!

• June 30, 2012 11:15 PM CDT
    • Kopper, you're my HERO! I agree with everything you said!!!

• June 30, 2012 4:30 PM CDT
    • This week's show featured music from Elvis Costello & The Attractions, The Chords, Mystery Jets, Crash 80s, Mark Inside, Iggy Pop, Elvis Presley, The Hives, The D4 and more.

Listen to this weeks podcast here:

http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20120626-1030-t1340703000.mp3

Check out this week's blog post:

http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2012/06/elvis-costello-attractions-trust-show.html

This Week's Play List:

1.  The Chords – I’m Not Sure
      2.  Elvis Costello & The Attractions – Pretty Words
      3.  Mystery Jets – Greatest Hits
      4.  Los Protones - El Verdugo
      5.  The Past Tense - Wolfman
      6.  Radio 4 – The Remedy (Live)
      7   Golden Calgarians – Party In The Sun
      8.  Crash 80s – Nowhere To Hide (Live)
      9.  The Sturgeons – Noise For Youth (Yellow Sea Eel Hunt Demo)
      10. Furious Frank – Whiskey Row
      11. Neil Young & Crazy Horse – Oh Susannah
      12. Chang-A-Lang - Japanese Eyes
      13. Iggy Pop & James Williamson – I Got Nothin’
      14. Elvis Presley – Crawfish
      15. Frank Evans & The Topnotchers – Gotta Get Some Money
      16. Vince Taylor & His Playboys - Right Behind You Baby
      17. The Hives – Without The Money
      18. The Reverend Horton Heat - Drinkin' and Smokin' Cigarettes
      19. Ty Segall Band – Tell Me What’s Inside Your Heart
      20. Dee Dee Ramone & Joey Ramone – I Am Seeing UFOs
      21. Undertones – Here Comes The Summer
      22. Mark Inside - House of Cards
      23. The D4 – Outta Blues

• June 30, 2012 4:08 PM CDT
    • OH , GAHD! NOT WATER DAMAGE !  THAT MAKES ME WANT TO CRY....IF IT DID'NT MAKE MY EYES ALL DRY AND PUFFY , SOMETIMES , I WOULD , TOO.

• June 30, 2012 4:03 PM CDT
    • i JUST SAW THAT PRESS RELEASE , YESTERDAY , TOO. I FOUND THAT SAME LP , "LOS JOHNNY JETS A GO GO" AT ANTONE'S RECORDS IN AUSTIN IN THE 90'S. IT'S ALSO GOT A GREAT VERSION OF "EVERYTHING'S ALRIGHT" , BY THE MOJOS , IN SPANISH , AS WELL AS A COOL SENDUP OF "GET OFF MY CLOUD".

The Fleshtones were/are very good at finding offbeat stuff like that and incorporating it into their own sound (Mercifully , though , they've only done one Gay Disco song *. ). I saw Peter Zaremba perform as a guest vocalist with Los Straitjackets in 2002. He was doing all The Mexican Rock'n'Roll songs , and his phrasing in Spanish was very good.

* My comment about Gay Disco was'nt meant to be percieved as anti - Gay. Just  anti -annoying as Hell music. Thank you.

• June 30, 2012 11:39 AM CDT
    • always happy to see new Fleshtones tunes!

• June 30, 2012 3:30 PM CDT
    • Playlist for 06/30/12:

Drivin' N Cryin' Turn It Up Or Turn It Off
      Circle Jerks American Heavy Metal Weekend
      MC5 Back In The USA
      US Chaos US Chaos
      McFadden's Parachute Flashback
      Baby Woodrose Dandelion
      Setting Son I Love You
      Attack Strange House
      Priests She Don't
      Bloody Hollies Blood Pressure
      Motorhead Stone Deaf In The USA
      Mr. T Experience Last Time I Listened To You
      Fleshtones Hitsburg USA
      Muffs Kids In America
      Joey Ramone What Did I Do To Deserve You?
      99ers Move It!
      White Wires All Night Long
      Mission of Burma Fell-->H20
      Electric Mess The Girl With The Exploding Dress
      Frightwig Public Baths
      Knyghts of Fuzz Genny
      Movements Deserted Town
      Rocket From the Tombs I Sell Soul
      Ramones Main Man
      Nevermores Crescent Moon
      Feedtime Rock n Roll
      Molting Vultures Cool Right Down
      Mind Spiders Wait for Us
      Sonic Avenues Throw It Away
      Headons Glassbowl
      Off! Wiped Out
      Shirley MacLaines Cigarette
      Sixty Minute Man Lazy Eye
      Spider Fever Don't Let Deth Get In The Way
      King Tuff Bad Thing
      Boom Boom Box White Chocolate
      Comet Gain Yoona Baines
      Evans The Death Telling Lies
      Prime Movers Come To Where It's At
      Godfathers Gone To Texas

• June 30, 2012 2:28 PM CDT
    • I'm listening to the new cj album right now, availabe on itunes. so far, it's fucking awesome.