Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• June 27, 2012 4:39 PM CDT
    • As for great wines, there are better and worse years, some exceptional too.

So, what's your year... and why?

• June 27, 2012 4:16 PM CDT
    • The Richmond Sluts - Richmond Sluts

• June 27, 2012 3:00 PM CDT
    • Don't worry, Rob.  Shit happens.  

Rob Filardo said:

whoops...now look what i started...sorry guys.

• June 27, 2012 12:48 AM CDT
    • Bad news

• June 26, 2012 10:58 PM CDT
    • whoops...now look what i started...sorry guys.

• June 27, 2012 12:29 PM CDT
    • It's summertime kiddies and it's time to take a trip!
      http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20120624-0030-t1340494201.mp3

The Setlist:

THE KINKS  SUNNY AFTERNOON 
      THE LAST  EVERY SUMMER DAY 
      THE BEACH BOYS COOL COOL WATER 
      THE BEACH BOYS BICYCLE RIDER THEME 
      MARSHMALLOW OVERCOAT  SOMETHING ABOUT THE SUN 
      YUZO KAYAMA  BLACK SAND BEACH 
      MAD HEADS  SUMMERTIME ROCK 
      GODFREY  LET'S TAKE A TRIP! 
      LOVE  BUMMER IN THE SUMMER 
      AGENT ORANGE  SOMEBODY TO LOVE 

BRIAN JONESTOWN MASSACRE  LET'S PRETEND THAT IT'S SUMMER 
      JOE TEX  I WANNA BE FREE 
      MARVIN GAYE  HITCH HIKE 

IGGY POP  HERE COMES THE SUMMER 
      MC5  THE HUMAN BEING LAWNMOWER 
      COCK SPARRER  THE SUN SAYS 
      BACKYARD BABIES  SPOTLIGHT IN THE SUN 
      THE EMPORERS  THE BREEZE AND I 

THE ROLLING STONES  ROUTE 66 
      THE WHO  IN THE CITY 
      THE DICTATORS  CALIFORNIA SUN 
      THE SONICS  BOSS HOSS 
      DEAD KENNEDYS  FOREST FIRE 
      DEAD KENNEDYS  WINNEBAGO WARRIOR
      BERT SUSANKA ORCHESTRA WHEN ALL THE BEER IS GONE 
      ALICE COOPER  ALMA MATER 

• June 27, 2012 11:00 AM CDT
    • I think you are never too old to rock,unless YOU think you are ! most of the modern mainstream music sounds like optimus prime on acid played at 78 rpm ! I love the hideout comp series,can't wait for the next one .

• June 26, 2012 4:23 PM CDT
    • Well, yeah, but all he has to do is get in the limo and show up. It's not like he has to hump his amp or tune up or anything.

Black Rabbit said:

Well, McCartney is still playing three hour shows on tour and he just turned 70.

• June 26, 2012 7:44 AM CDT
    • Well, McCartney is still playing three hour shows on tour and he just turned 70.

• June 26, 2012 7:04 AM CDT
    • VIVA the FLESHTONES!!! I'm a wee too young to have caught any of their 80s live shows, but everytime I've seen 'em lately they go wild like fine wine ages, baby... (& double down on the quality of the songwriting and albums steadily improvin' with every decade)

John Battles said:

A

Point well taken. I first saw The Fleshtones in 1984 , and , make no mistake ,it was a great show , but , they're so much better , right here , right now , right everything.

YOU'D BE HARD PRESSED TO FIND SUCH A HIGH ENERGY SHOW , ESPECIALLY FROM SO MANY YOUNGER BANDS WHO NEVER HAD TO PLAY AS THOUGH THEIR LIVES DEPENDED ON IT.

• June 27, 2012 3:47 AM CDT
    • Definitly worth reading.

I also want  to recommend Iggy Pop Open Up and Bleed by Paul Trynka and We Never Learn by Eric Davidson.

Bibliodiscoteque said:

How was Rotten? I just got it in from a local bookshop, but not sure if it is furniture or really something to dedicate time to.

MikeL said:

I'd also like to add "Neon Angel: Memoir of a Runaway" by Cherie Currie, which I just finished this past weekend, and "Rotten" by John Lydon.

• June 26, 2012 9:49 PM CDT
    • I just finished Rotten - definately worth a read - I thought it was great.

Bibliodiscoteque said:

How was Rotten? I just got it in from a local bookshop, but not sure if it is furniture or really something to dedicate time to.

• June 26, 2012 7:32 PM CDT
    • I'm doing Absolute Beginners as a podcast in July...

dave said:

Hey, I'd like to mention Cool Cats, a book of R&R photos and some essays. It goes from the 50s up to the early 80s.

Also, some subculture books: Subculture, the Meaning of Style, by Dick Hebdige

Skinhead, by Nik Knight [this guy does fashion photography now]

Reggae International, by Stephen Davis and Peter Simon

Mods, by Richard Barnes [he also did the who, maximum r&b]

and a fiction book, Absolute Beginners, by colin macinnes [early mod]

• June 26, 2012 7:31 PM CDT
    • How was Rotten? I just got it in from a local bookshop, but not sure if it is furniture or really something to dedicate time to.

MikeL said:

I'd also like to add "Neon Angel: Memoir of a Runaway" by Cherie Currie, which I just finished this past weekend, and "Rotten" by John Lydon.

• June 26, 2012 9:10 PM CDT
    • the tremolo is a little slight, good for single note runs but it kind of washes out if you do a bo diddley-type rhythm.

• June 26, 2012 4:07 AM CDT
    • What's the tremolo like on it?

• June 26, 2012 8:02 PM CDT
    • Yeah , I still like those abums , too. I'm not saying they were remarkably consistent, but I'd hardly say The Ramones embarrassed themselves on their farewell release.

''Rainbows" is a lovely song , tho' I like Ronnie Spector's (Prod. by Joey.) version better . She did "Here Today , Gone Tomorrow" , twice, too. Great stuff.

Manu said:

Two albums after the difficult 80's

1993: Acid Eaters for the great 60's songs' covers

1995: Adios Amigos, they came back to the roots with this album - it also includes one of the most beautiful (yes!) Ramones songs (She talks to rainbows)

• June 26, 2012 7:57 PM CDT
    • VERY NICE. THANKS FOR SHARING.

Audio Gasoline said:

Maybe a little OT, but this seemed like a good place to share this poster, since I don't pull it out very often.

The show was in 2001 about a month after Joey died, at a tiny club in Springfield, OR. It was the 8th Birthday Party for University of Oregon campus radio station 88.1 KWVA. My buddy Goro from The Snukas hand screened these, and only made about 30. He gave me one to put in my shop window, but it went straight into my music collection. Not sure if any more are still around.

Dee Dee seemed to be in good sprits that night, mixing at the bar during the warm-up bands. He and Goro hit it off, and he brought Goro up onstage to sing Blitzkrieg Bop. It was a fun night. I saw a couple of camcorders running, but haven't seen any footage on the web - let me know if you know of any. I DAT taped it, but haven't been able to find it since I moved 4 years ago... I fear it's gone for good.

• June 26, 2012 8:47 AM CDT
    • Two albums after the difficult 80's

1993: Acid Eaters for the great 60's songs' covers

1995: Adios Amigos, they came back to the roots with this album - it also includes one of the most beautiful (yes!) Ramones songs (She talks to rainbows)