Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• May 5, 2012 12:37 PM CDT

• Not me, I think it's a great album. 

John Battles said:

"A Bigger Bang" is a motherfucker , tho' I guess most people disagree.

• May 5, 2012 12:30 PM CDT
    • When I was a snotty little kid in '63 or '64, my snotty little friends and I used to make fun of this new big teenage fad, The Beatles. "John Lemmon, what a sourpuss!" One day my friend's older sister, maybe she was 15 or so, asked me if I'd actually ever heard The Beatles. She took me up to her room and put Meet The Beatles on the player. Up until then, I hadn't payed much attention to music, outside of the the stuff my parents sometimes listened to, like Marty Robbins, Roger Miller, Moon River, Sink The Bismark, Grand Canyon Suite, and other odds & ends, plus vague memories of earlier doo wop and teeny pop.

I don't know if it was the music alone, or a sophisticated 'older woman' paying attention to me. What I know is that day changed my life. Meet The Beatles was the most exciting thing I ever heard. I got a transistor radio. I started combing my hair different. I lost all interest in baseball cards and comic books. Soon, I got a guitar. 

Sadly, my friend's sister died the next year, in a diving accident. The family moved away. But I continued to rock, to this very day.

• May 5, 2012 12:16 PM CDT
    • Guns 'And Roses-  Nightrain :/

• May 5, 2012 12:03 PM CDT
    • I like what you guys bring on here lately.

URGENT FURY said:

Dude, you didn't have time to get old...

John Carlucci said:

I'm 55 and I played Coachella last weekend. In 2 weeks I fly to France to headline the Cosmic Trip Festival. I've been playing in bands since 1972 & I've never had a time that I've not been in a band. In fact, at the moment I'm in 2 different bands.

• May 4, 2012 6:36 PM CDT
    • Too young to Roll!

• May 4, 2012 11:50 AM CDT
    • You're never too old to rock!!  All the Lizardmen are in our late 40's or early 50's and we still kick ass!

• May 3, 2012 9:24 PM CDT
    • dang, i used to be all up in those mosh pits

Scott_hn said:

At 48, my slam-dancing days may be over, but the concept of "too old to rock" does not compute. Fuck that shit.

• May 3, 2012 9:18 PM CDT
    • i might still be listening to slayer when i'm a wrinkled grandma, shonny!  ; )

• May 5, 2012 10:39 AM CDT
    • Playlist May 3/2012.....The Rolling Stones Invade Treasure Island Gardens.

The true story of The Rolling Stones one time only visit to sleepy colonistic London Ontario on Apr 26/1965.  This was the only time ever, that a Rolling Stones show was stopped part way through due to a riot....and the show was not started again. True, there have been many riots (even deaths) at Rolling Stones shows, but this was the only time ever, that a show ended after approximately 15 minutes. Another thorn in sleepy London Ontario's ass.

1. Ed Rudy Radio Rolling Stones....started the show with the intro to Ed Rudy's radio show on The Rolling Stones. Originally aired on 10/23/64, the day prior to The Rolling Stones first (and controversial) appearance on stodgy old Ed Sullivan's show (more on this a little later).

This was The Rolling Stones 3rd American tour and first time they actually ventured into Canada. There were 4 dates in Canada; Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and finally London and from there they went to New York state for more shows. For the London show, tickets were $2.50 (tax included) and were available at Country Park Restaurant, 253 Dundas St.
      Opening the show, were The Nottingham 3 from St Thomas Ontario, The Fortune Tellers, a top 40 band and J B and The Playboys from Montreal.

2. JB and The Playboys....One Love, Your Love

3. JB and The Playboys...Leave My Woman Alone.

For this show, The Rolling Stones were paid $10,000 and played for approximately 15m...and they got to party for the rest of the evening here in sleepy London Ontario.

Here's the actual set (with a couple of screwups as noted) that they played in London...I went through various live bootlegs to try and find the best version of each song. Thanx to Danny Husband (and his sister) for the pics...

4. The Rolling Stones...Everybody Needs Somebody To Love....from an 8/30/65 BBC session.

5. The Rolling Stones....Around and Around....live on Ed Sullivan 10/25/64

6. The Rolling Stones...Time Is On My Side....live on Ed Sullivan 10/25/64. This was the band's first ever appearance on Ed's show and probably the first exposure for most North Americans to the band. Ed was appalled by the band, here's a quote from The Rolling Stones: Complete Recording Sessions; "Adult American TV viewers were alarmed at this seeming riot in their own homes and gradually the pressure mounted. Ed Sullivan, anxious to reaffirm his prestige, denied responsibility that he had anything to do with the booking of The Stones. He was shocked by the performance and vowed to cancel all future rock and roll acts. He claimed that his show had been built up over 17 years and he did not want it broken up by such unruly behaviour. They were not like that other British act, The Dave Clark Five- such nice gentlemen!"

7. The Rolling Stones...Pain In My Heart...from the Now LP...this should have been the 2nd song in the set, but I screwed up.

8. The Rolling Stones...Good Times...from the 12 X 5...another screwup, this song wasn't supposed to be played, but i couldn't count the night of this show.

9. The Rolling Stones...It's All Over Now...from 12X5...and yes, this song should have been played.

10. The Rollings Stones...Off The Hook...from Now LP....this song was never finished. What happened according to eye witness's, is that the snow fence (yes, snow fence, after all this is sleepy London Ontario) that separated the band from the 3000 fans, either broke down or was pushed over by 2 young girls. Doesn't really matter, it was a snow fence, and how was that going to contain 3000 screaming rabid fans all wanting to touch Brian Jones immaculate hair?
      When the snow fence went down, the police ordered the stage power to be cut, hence the instruments would no longer be audible (were they actually audible before that???). And at this point a portion of the crowd rushed the stage to meet and greet their idols.

Here's Bill Wyman's take on the situation (from Rolling With The Stones by Bill Wyman) " The Stones went onstage about 8:30PM and played to about 3000 fans, many had driven from Detroit and gave the band a great reception. Things were going fine until the police cut off the power midway through the set. " The Police just created an antagonistic atmosphere" Bill told the London Free Press on Apr 27, 1965. " These kids were just enjoying themselves, the police acted in a typical small town way. They just panicked'. Mick said 'Our instruments wouldn't work and the place was dark, there was a riot, but it wasn't our fault. We're always the ones to get the blame"."

From here I played some Rolling Stones bootleg recordings from that era, some of them have titles that fit the scene...

11. The Rolling Stones...Don't Lie To Me...10/11 June 1964 Chess sessions.

12. The Rolling Stones...Last Time...from the Got Live LP.

13. The Rolling Stones...Roll Over Beethoven...10/5/63 BBC session and The Stones first ever radio session.

14. The Rolling Stones...I Get Around...Beach Boys song, possibly west coast recording with Phil Spector??? The guitar is quite recognizable as Keith.

15. The Rolling Stones...No Expectations....RSVP bootleg...the sound quality of this is superior to the actual released copy of Beggar's Banquet in my collection. The clarity and dynamic range of this bootleg is just phenomenal and I'd highly recommend it if you dig this era of The Stones!

Now we get into the Canadian bands that have opened for The Stones over the years...among them; JB and The Playboys, The Staccatos, Esquires, David Clayton Thomas and The Shays, The Rogues, The Band, Canadian Legends, Steppenwolf, April Wine and we'll start with the best, the band often referred to as the Canadian Rolling Stones, The Ugly Ducklings.

16. Ugly Ducklings...Just In Case...from a 7" with one of the most devasting fuzz guitar sounds on record.

17. The Ugly Ducklings...She Ain't No Use To Me...again, from a 7".

18. The Ugly Ducklings...I Wish You Would...from the 1980 self titled LP. This LP was a mixture of LP cuts and unreleased versions to cash in on the burgeoning punk scene in Toronto.

19. The Ugly Ducklings...Nothin'...from the Somewhere Outside LP...if the Ducks had recorded nothing but this song, they would still be legends today! A pure garagepunk anthem that so many bands have recorded over the years.

Many years ago, I was told the story about The Ugly Ducklings opening for The Rolling Stones at Maple Leaf Gardens. It was the first time for the Ducks to be playing at such a huge venue and curiosity got the best of rhythm guitarist Glynn Bell. He peaked through the curtain to have a look at the crowd and the crowd went ballistic!! Due to his near perfect Brian Jones coif, the crowd thought it was Brian peaking through the crowd!!

20. David Clayton Thomas  and The Shays...Take Me Back....DC and The Shays opened in Toronto on The Stones first Canadian tour.

21. David Clayton Thomas...Done Somebody Wrong...from the self titled LP. DCT came to Western 9/22/2009 to give a talk on the anniversary of Woodstock, at which his combo, Blood Sweat and Tears played at. He didn't recall a lot about it, as at the time it was just like any other gig...but he did talk about some of his early days starting out in Toronto. And I did get to shake his hand and get some of my early DCT LP's autographed!

22. The Esquires...It's A Dirty Shame.

23. The Rogues...Girl.

24. Ronnie Hawkins...Hey Bo Diddly...1958 recording featuring Levon Helms who passed away 2 weeks ago. Levon was in The Band who opened for The Stones.

25. Ronnie Hawkins....Who Do You Love...again, featuring members of The Band and our quick trib to Levon Helm.

Hope you enjoyed this one, it was a TON of fun going through hours and hours of Rolling Stones bootlegs, books, websites (there's a lot of misinformation out on the internet) and talking to a few people who remembered this event.

Here's a link to the podcast, which is up for 1 week only:

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1800.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1830.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3

• May 5, 2012 9:01 AM CDT
    • It is that time again.  I'll be on the air and the web from 1:00PM-3:00 EST on Saturday May 5th.  You can listen on 89.7 WITR-FM in Rochester, NY or streaming live at http://witr.rit.edu.

• May 5, 2012 1:12 AM CDT
    • Show #372: "Bands & Artists Starting With H, Part 6" playlist:

High Treason - "Leo"
      High Voltage - "Fancy Woman"
      The High Windows - "Your Eyes"
      The Higher Elevation - "Odyssey"
      The Highlifes - "No One To Tell Her"
      The Highlights - "Ah, So"
      Highly Likely - "Whatever Happened To You"
      Rosetta Hightower - "Pretty Red Balloons"
      Highway Robbery - "Promotion Man"
      Diane Hildebrand - "There's A Coming Together"
      The Hill - "Sylvie"
      Bunker Hill - "The Girl Can't Dance"
      Jessie Hill - "Ooh Poo Pah Doo - Part 1"
      Vince Hill - "The River's Run Dry"
      Steve Hillage - "Lunar Musick Suite"
      Jane Hillery - "You've Got That Hold On Me"
      Gillian Hills - "Tomorrow Is Another Day"
      Him & The Others - "She's Got Eyes That Tell Lies"
      Justin Hinds & The Dominoes - "Carry, Go, Bring, Come"
      Freddy Hines & The Showmen - "Love Letters"
      The Hinge [CA] - "Now Let Me Love You"
      The Hinge [WI] - "Idols Of Your Mind"
      Hipnotic Eye - "Aimless Lady"
      The Hipster Image - "Make Her Mine"
      His Majesty's Coachmen - "I Don't Want To See You"
      The Hitchikers - "One Too Many Mornings"
      Hljomar - "Ertu Med"
      The Hobbit - "Why Don't You Grow Up"
      The Hobbits [CA] - "Jolly Good Fellow"
      The Hobbits [NY] - "Let Me Run My Fingers Through Your Mind (Buy My Flowers)"
      Willie Hobbs - "Love 'Em And Leave 'Em"
      Hobnail - "She's Just A Friend Of Mine"
      Elmer Hockett's Hurdy Gurdy - "Love Is Happening To Me"
      Chris Hodge - "We're On Our Way"
      Eddie Hodges - "Seein' Is Believin'"
      The Rob Hoeke Rhythm & Blues Group - "When People Talk"
      Ray Hoff & The Offbeats - "Tossin' And Turnin'"
      Abbie Hoffman - "Religion Of Sorts"
      Nick Hoffman - "King Of The Moon"
      Ingfried Hoffmann - "Stroke It"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/372.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/372.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• May 4, 2012 3:30 PM CDT
    • Show #372: "Bands & Artists Starting With H, Part 6"

Every 3 weeks I do a series of shows I call the "Alphabetical Series" where I randomly draw a letter of the alphabet from a hat. Whatever letter I draw, I take all the bands and artists in my collection (from the 50's, 60's & 70's only) that start with that letter and play them in strict alphabetical order one by one until I run out of time. This week I drew the letter "H". This is the sixth time I've drawn the letter "H", so I will start from where I left off on show #5 (which was with High Tide). So, tune in tonight (Friday at 10:00pm EST) to hear 3 hours of bands and artists that start with "H" like: High Treason, The High Windows, The Higher Elevation, Rosetta Hightower, Highway Robbery, Diane Hildebrand, The Hill, Bunker Hill, Jessie Hill, Vince Hill, Steve Hillage, Gillian Hills, Justin Hinds & The Dominoes, 2 bands called The Hinge, His Majesty's Coachmen, Hljomar, 2 different Hobbits, Hobnail, Chris Hodge, Eddie Hodges, The Rob Hoeke Rhythm & Blues Group, Abbie Hoffman, Ingfried Hoffmann, and many others!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• May 4, 2012 8:24 PM CDT
    • Download or stream the entire May 4 show here. Follow Zero Hour on Facebook here. And while you're at it, pledge here.
      Rattle My Brain – Bloodshot Bill (Transistor 66)
      Primeavil – Dynamite Pussy Club (Motor Sounds)
      Teenage Werewolf – Chicken Diamond (Beast)
      When I’m a Grown Up – The Monsters (Voodoo Rhythm)
      Freak Out – The Jackets (Soundflat)
      60 Second Swinger – The 60 Second Swingers (Howlin Banana)
      The Thunder – Troll Controll (Tons of Stuff)
      Be My Jane – The Routes (Dirty Water)
      Lost Again – Midnight Woolf (Off the Hip)
      Hold My Baby – Walter Daniels (Ghost Highway)
      They Call Me Country – DM Bob & the Deficits (Off Label)
      Right Here – Swampmeat (Cold Rice)
      Don’t Tell Me Lies – The Phantom Keys (Screaming Apple)
      She Said – The Movements (Pariah)
      Satisfy You – Thee Vicars (Dirty Water)

Local Lunchbox
      Cry Baby – Sugar Stems (Bachelor)
      Sweet Clover – Goodnight Loving (Wild Honey)
      Do You Know What I’m Doin’ – Ramma Lamma (Goodbye Boozy)
      On the Cover – The Hussy (Goodbye Boozy)
      Secrets & Lies – Flip-Tops (Bachelor)
      Eye Like it Cuz It’s Cool – Cyclops (Bachelor)
      Not a Love Song – The Shirley MacLaines (Bachelor)
      Bittersweet Bubblegum – Thee Makeout Party (Bachelor)
      Satisfaction Guaranteed – Jake Starr & the Delicious Fullness (Ghost Highway)
      Love Illusion – Strange Hands (Shit Music for Shit People)
      Everything, Everything – Curlee Wurlee (Moody Monkey)
      Hang Loose – Thee Exciters (Dirty Water)
      Summer Melody – Vermillion Sands (Shit Music for Shit People)
      Ou Es Tu – Les Playboys (Soundflat)
      The Curse of Liberace’s Tomb – The Bad Detectives (Western Star)
      City Two-Step – Mama Rosin with Hipbone Slim & the Knee-Tremblers (Voodoo Rhythm)
      Do the Do – The Senders (Devil’s Jukebox)
      Don’t Mind Rockin’ Tonight – The Sinners (Munster)
      Julie Loves Johnny – Eastern Dark (Half a Cow)
      All Over Now – Baby Woodrose (Bad Afro)
      Nights in White Satin – Die Zorros (Voodoo Rhythm)
      Diddley Wrong – The Booby Traps (Off the Hip)
      Cathalina – Wild Evel & the Trashbones (Soundflat)
      15 Minutes – Thee Spivs (Damaged Goods)
      Love by the Die – Shotglass Killers (Devil’s Jukebox)
      Long Time Coming – Light Bulb Alley (Ricochet Sound)
      He’s Coming – Stupidity (Go Fast)
      She Won’t Come Home – Kidnappers (Alien Snatch)

• May 4, 2012 12:05 AM CDT
    • A version of this was published in The Santa Fe New Mexican
      May 4, 2012

One of my favorite record labels in recent years is an independent roots-soaked punk outfit from San Antonio, Texas, called Saustex Media.

With its big green dinosaur-in-a-cowboy-hat logo, Saustex is the love child of Jeff “Smitty” Smith, singer and head hick of The Hickoids, a San Antonio band that, to misquote Barbara Mandrell, was cow-punk back when cow-punk wasn’t cool. The Hickoids are still going strong after all these decades — in recent months with Santa Fe’s own Tom Trusnovic playing guitar. They’re Saustex’s flagship band.

There are lots of great acts that have released music on the label — Piñata Protest, Glambilly, Sons of Hercules, Stevie Tombstone, and singer-songwriter Eric Hisaw. I was lucky enough to catch some of these acts in Austin during South by Southwest in March at a couple of Saustex-sponsored events.

And even better, the label has recently released a ton of new music:

*  Intexicated by T. Tex Edwards. Dallas-born Thomas Edwards has been making a musical nuisance of himself for decades. He initially became known working with a punk band called The Nervebreakers — they opened for The Sex Pistols’ Dallas show in 1977 and these days sometimes still get together to play. Since then he’s fronted bands including The Saddle Tramps, Out on Parole, The Loafin’ Hyenas, Lithium X-mas, The Swingin’ Cornflake Killers, and recently Purple Stickpin.

This compilation includes recordings from Edwards’ post-Nervebreakers career spanning the early ’80s through to just a few years ago. There are lots of rockabilly influenced songs such as “Cravin’,” “It’s Gravity,” and “Thirteen Women.”

Best of all are “Move It,” a 1982 record with The Saddletramps, and the delightfully warped “Crazy Date,” recorded with Out on Parole featuring Edwards. This was an obscure 1959 regional hit by an Alabama group called The Crazy Teens. Tex, reciting the lyrics like a sinister Big Bopper, turns it into the diary of a terminal lech.

There’s also a good representation of Edwards’ trademark twisted takes on country songs. There are two tunes that grace Out on Parole’s 1989 psycho-country classic Pardon Me, I’ve Got Someone to Kill: Leon Payne’s “Psycho” (a 1984 rendition of the song featuring a sweet honky-tonk piano) and “LSD,” an obscure cautionary tale about acid originally recorded by singer Wendell Austin (“I started using LSD/ It gave me such a kick/ Better than booze and easy to use/ But it made me mentally sick”).
      \
      There’s also a nightmarish lo-fi cover of “Blood on the Saddle,” a tune associated with another Tex — Tex Ritter.

A real treat is a version of “Lee Harvey,” a song about the accused Kennedy assassin, recorded with The Hickoids in 1989 — several years before the Asylum Street Spankers released the version that I’m most familiar with. Written by Homer Henderson, the lyrics humanize the shadowy Oswald:

“Lee Harvey was a friend of mine/He used to take me fishing all the time/He used to throw the ball to me/ When I was just a kid/They say he shot the president/But I don’t think he did.”

One thing about T. Tex Edwards, he never sold out to the corporations. Oh, wait, he did! The last song here is a demo he did for Chili’s restaurant. I’m not sure if the chain actually used this 30-second punk-rock flash. But it did make me hungry for baby back ribs.

(On the Santa Fe Opry I'll be playing a special set of "Songs T. Tex Edwards taught us. The show starts at 10 p.m Mountain Time Friday on KSFR, 101.1 FM or streaming HERE )

* El Pathos. This Austin band has only been around for a few years, but it’s made up of several veterans of Texas punk-rock groups (The Dicks, Offenders, Cat Butt, and others). They play a basic garage/punk, Stooge/Dolls-influenced brand of raw rock ’n’ roll — and do a fine job. There’s not a dull moment on this, their self-titled second album.

The album kicks off with the slow-burning “Election Day,” which sounds like Sticky Fingers-era Rolling Stones. The next song, “Straight Into the Sun,” slips into a higher gear. Try to listen to this one without thinking of “You’re Gonna Miss Me” by the 13th Floor Elevators.

One thing that sets El Pathos apart from most bands with similar approaches is that it has an actual steel/slide guit — Mark Kenyon — as part of its permanent lineup. And the group isn’t afraid to use him. In fact, there are a couple of fine country rockers hiding in this album, in which Kenyon shines.

The rowdy “Gypsy Minor” is a potential punk-rock honky-tonk classic, while the last song here, the melancholy country rocker called “Yesterday Mourning,” is nice and purdy. This album makes me want to seek out El Pathos’ first effort, Hate and Love.

* The Copper Gamins. This five-song, self-titled EP is just a blast. The CGs are a two-man lo-fi punk-blues unit from San Miguel Totocuitlapilco, Mexico. The whole thing sounds like it was recorded in an abandoned gas station, but it’s got spirit.

My favorite song here is “Candy Man.” The CGs give songwriting credit to Mississippi John Hurt, but fans of the saint of Avalon, Mississippi, aren’t likely to recognize the song. Singer José Carmen howls like a castrato Smurf while drummer Claus Lafania sounds like a speed freak swatting mosquitoes with a baseball bat.

To hear songs by the above artists plus others on the label’s roster, check out this:

*  For Those About to Forget to Rock by The Grannies. This San Francisco group isn’t officially a Saustex band, but I saw The Grannies at Saustex’s recent official South by Southwest showcase with The Hickoids and Glambilly.

The Grannies are known for appearing in granny drag — bad wigs and even worse dresses. Many of their songs are sardonic looks at old age — “Walker on the Wild Side,” “Toothless,” and “Denture Breath.”

Now that I’m on the outskirts of middle age on a fast bus to Codgerville, maybe I should take offense at this. Instead, I’m taking a weird delight in it. Besides, The Grannies play fierce, aggressive, and tight, just like I love it.

So as Jan and Dean would say, “Go, Grannies, go!”

• May 3, 2012 8:52 PM CDT
    • Ha ha ha, that's a classic misheard lyric. Wrapped up like a douche in the middle of the night...

John E. Midnight said:

Manfred Mann's "Blinded by the Light"

..."deuce", not "DOUCHE"

• May 3, 2012 8:49 PM CDT
    • The Cure's Mint Car from Wild Mood Swings - at the beginning of the song- "...then here with you its perfect, its all i ever wanted, oh i almost couldn't believe that its for real, so kiss me queer" But maybe he's really singing "so pinch me quick" on the last lyric there?

• May 2, 2012 10:57 PM CDT
    •  Yea , that's what I always thought , until I heard Springsteen's constipated original ...."Wrrreecccked up like a Deuchhe ANUDDER RUMOR IN DA' NIGHT...", then I had second thoughts....But the thought of it NOT being "Deuce" was too good to be true. I only learned , a year or two ago , saying "Douche" is like saying "and" , today. Time was , it was right at the top of the list , outside of George Carlin's "7 Words", of words you just did'nt say , unless you had a good alibi. 

• May 2, 2012 9:02 PM CDT
    • Manfred Mann's "Blinded by the Light"

..."deuce", not "DOUCHE"

• May 3, 2012 8:35 PM CDT
    • Not very many here but I'm in kind of a desolate area anyhow... me mum and aunts would probably like what i've been hearing but i don't see 'em so much no mo'... i do enjoy the metalheads about tho :)

• May 2, 2012 8:26 PM CDT
    • Never ever. 'Course I don't go out much anymore. All my young co-workers are so imbedded in our current pop lack-of-culture that even their conversations are auto tuned.

• May 2, 2012 8:18 PM CDT
    • I have a friend... we exchange our tastes and findings, but other than us... not much.

• May 3, 2012 8:06 PM CDT
    • yeah,and there still are asshole way less ballsy and less talented than chicks ,yet trying to push around women playing r-n-r.There will always be that kind of ridiculous crap coming from (quiet a few) men...and not only on the artistic level,of course.The only thing to do is keep pushing back their attacks.

• May 3, 2012 4:56 PM CDT
    • Polyvinyl Craftsmen Transmission 50

It's our 50th show! Join us for some classics, some songs that aren't classics but should be and the third and final tune from the forthcoming Wobbly Lamps 7" on Polyvinyl Craftsmen Records (we're waiting on the test pressings now). The single will be available from us here so stay tuned for news. It's gonna be a limited run and you won't want to miss out.

Download all the action here (including a special 50-themed song from Thee PVC.

Transmission 50
      Victrola Time – The Fall
      London Calling (2012 mix) – The Clash
      I’m Bored – Iggy Pop
      Dead Energy – Thee Oh Sees
      Tuned to Puke – The Intelligence
      My Fascination – Buck
      Shake Some Action – Flamin’ Groovies
      Kick Out the Jams – MC5
      Havana Affair – Ramones
      Mumblin’ Guitar – Bo Diddley
      Can’t Stop – The Vendettas
      Tripwire – Sui Chunk
      Duet – Gonjasufi
      Pappy Check – Medeski Martin & Wood
      Take Your Clothes Off and Dance/ What’s the Ugliest part of Your Body (Reprise)– Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention
      Here Come the Fleas – The White Noise
      The Cannibals Have Captured Our Nicole Kidman – Thomas Truax
      Sword of Truth – These New Puritans
      Tooth to Toe – Acid Baby Jesus
      Top on Tight – Tim Cohen
      Swagger Vets and Double Moon – White Fence
      Smile – The Fall
      Someday Soon – Harlem
      The Cult Song – Shannon & the Clams
      If You’re Not Here (I Don’t Know Where You Are) – Hunx and his Punx
      Look Away – The Mantles
      Warm and Untorn – The Pharmacy
      Alice the Goon – Wobbly Lamps

• May 2, 2012 11:09 PM CDT
    • those darlins - screws get loose

• May 2, 2012 8:55 PM CDT
    • Hullo, y'all. I registered on GaragePunk Hideout many months ago, then stupidly forgot about it. Since then I''ve discovered possibly the coolest anti-FaceBook around! Seriously, this thing is flat-out amazing. It's nice to finally get off the deserted island and find my people!

Am 43 years old (still above ground and taking nourishment), living in the hairiest armpit on the planet, Cleveland. Well, maybe Youngstown is hairier.

I was a Beatles fan as a child (thanks to that 70s two-fer "Rock and Roll Music", the one with the stoopid thumbs on the edges), then a hardcore Kinks fan, then scored the Pretty's American debut LP at a Chicago record show for a buck (complete with simulated stereo...oof), and then all bets were off.

A few additional life-changers: The Who Sings My Generation, Pink Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Pebbles Vols. 1, 2 and 3, Searching In the Wilderness V/A LP, and those early Bam-Caruso comps.

I was splitting my time between 60s garage and 70s punk, complete with mohawk and ungrounded outlook. Scoured used record stores and flea markets, played in bands, scoured used record stores and flea markets, mmmmmm...GIRLS...evolved into an all-world class clown...did I mention scouring used rec- uhhh, never mind.

Had a couple 60s garage rock radio shows, one at Northern Illinois University in the mid-80s, then an early mid-life crisis extravaganza at CASE for a few years up through '08.

To this day I'm still trying to re-capture the amazing BUZZ I got upon hearing "All Day and All of the Night" for the first time. Have been succesful in that regard, though the highs are getting fewer and further between. Dammit.

I haven't met you yet, but I consider you a good friend. Here's wishing all of you one-chord wonders much love and laughter! (And the rest? Bite me.)