Undecided Voters

Cold Case Posse

The Fucking Assholes

Reaching Out to Republicans

The Retweets

Invasive Species

North Carolina Sewer Monsters

• April 29, 2012 6:52 PM CDT
    • This should have been a single , but DAM could barely get arrested (Or reissued , w/o permission , by French labels.) in 1985. I read that , around that time , Ron Asheton stepped out on the stage , and some punkass kids yelled "Ron , You're washed up !" , "Yeah , well , you don't have anything to be washed up from.". Who is that on the male vocals? It could be Michael Davis , but , I don't know if he was still playing with them , by then.....Ron sang a little with Dark Carnival , not bad , and did some good backing vox on songs like "Anyone Can Fuck Her" . But , most people forget Bobby Mulrooney /Bootsey X did a lot of the male lead vocals with Dark Carnival.Lourvely pics of Niagara. The combination of these artists , with the addition of....who was their short - term sax player? Made DAM an acquired taste , but one worth acquiring....Never followed their early 70's stuff , really. I know some people prefer it to the Asheton/Davis period. I met L.J. Steele , Drummer for DAM and Dark Carnival (Scott Asheton left the latter , early on. Maybe he went back , later? It was always Steele on their releases after the Stiv Bators memorial show.) , when he was briefly in Sylvain Sylvain's band . Nice guy , but NOT someone you'd want to fuck with, Muscles on top of his muscles.

• April 30, 2012 9:30 AM CDT
    • Kustom City Sounds

Playlist

4-27-12

Hour One

The Thunderbeats – Confusion

Meisha And The Spanks – Mmmade For Me

Thee Wylde Oscars – Right, Yeah

Thee Dirtybeats – You Lied To Me Before

Urge Overkill – Sister Havana

The Nomads – Miles Away

Dean Carter – Rebel Woman

Fidlar – No Ass

Electric Frankenstein – Cocaine Blues

Dewey Cox – Half The Boy

Eddie Cochran – Somethin’ Else

Colin Winski – Rock Therapy

Go Cat Go – Little Baby Doll

Blasters – Border Radio

Light Bulb Alley – Pepper Spray

Beasts Of Bourbon – Drop Out

Johnny Kidd & The Pirates – Dr. Feelgood

Gonn – Blackout At Gretely

The Jim Jones Revue – Fish 2 Fry

The Excitements – Take The Bitter With The Sweet

The Moonglows – Real Gone Mama

Hour Two

Dex Romweber Duo W/Jack White – Last Kind Word Blues

Tokyo Sex Destruction – Pills To Wait For The Summer

Thee Exciters – Flower Punk Girl

The Ramones – Judy Is A Punk

The Woggles – Something To Believe In

Death Set – Distressed

The Dustaphonics – The Jinx

Tropic Of Thunder – Theme

Tommy Roe – Jam Up & Jelly Tight

Blue Snaggletooth – Star Flight

Hypathia Lake – Suicide

The Cramps – You Got Good Taste

The Inmates – Jealousy

The Undertakers – I Wanna Come Back (From The World of LSD)

The Penetrators – Bad Woman

The Flaming Sidebuns – Crashing Burn

The Kaisers – Time To Go

Wah Wah Pedal

The Doors – Been Down So Long

Hot Tuna – I Wish You Would

Rivera Playboys – I’m The Pusherman

No Bunny – (Do The) Fuck Yourself

Hour Three

The Black Keys – Money Maker

Soledad Brothers – Cage That Tiger

The Monofones – Alright

The Defeatist Beat – Kicks

The Get Wets – Beat Beat

Cheeteh Club Promo

Boris The Spider – Turn That TV OFF

Lantern – Bleed Me Dry

Cave – WUJ

The Revellions – Down On Your Luck

LoveStruck – Comb Your Hair

Phantom Creeps – Voodoo Spell

Deadbolt – Voodoo Doll

The Crack Pipes – Record Player Party

Sons Of Hercules – Brain Dead

The Stooges – Little Doll

The Breakups – Feel Alright

Cavemanish Boys – Come On, Baby

Hour Four

The Darkside – Guitar Voodoo

Spacemen 3 – Losing Touch With My Mind (Live)

Sunray – Incantation

Dazed and Confused – Gilliagan’s Island

Sun Dial – Rollercoaster

The Dead Weather – Hang You From The Heavens

Thee Oh Sees – Cannon Crawler

A Place To Bury Strangers – Onwards To The Wall

The Black Angels – Bad Vibrations

Black Moth Super Rainbow – Twin Of Myself

Main – Cypher

Barracudas – I Can’t Pretend

Stoneage Hearts – Eye Of Lie

The Dolly Rocker Movement – In My Words, In My Mind, & In My Soul

• April 30, 2012 3:27 AM CDT
    • I'd be really interested in hearing what you can do with that Mic.

• April 29, 2012 8:26 PM CDT
    • Not a fan of the VE-20. It just sounds so digital and cold. You can use a DI box reversed to use pedals to correct the impedence. In the past I used a Roland space echo with a mic just plugged straight in with no issues. It's not necessary but it's not a bad idea. I actually got a great deal on one of these and am going with this:

http://www.placidaudio.com/the-copperphone/

Too expensive normally but I'm getting itfor more than half off in a trade. Today I ran vocals through a '65 Reverbrocket (mic'd through the PA) and ran the guitar through a '62 Reverbrocket. They looked cool as shit sitting together so I think that's what I'm going with. Also thought about running vocals through my Selmer Treble N Bass or a Royal Guardsmen (which is what I did when we recorded- reverb + a bit of trem + some fuzz = TRASH and AMAZING!!). I was trying to go small with pedals but nothing's going to sound as good as running through an amp so to hell with it. And speaking as a sound guy, I'd rather mic an amp anyway. It's extra gear but the sound is what's most important anyway. I'm willing to suffer!

• April 29, 2012 3:27 PM CDT
    • The Boss VE-20 vocal pedal  has reverb, delay & distortion effects (aswell as loads of other fancy features that you'd probably never use). But i don't know whether it'd sound as good as proper analogue stuff. Am i right in thinking that you need to use an impedence transformer adapter if you wanna plug a mic into guitar pedals?

• April 28, 2012 8:06 PM CDT
    • As a fellow garagepunk-vocalist, I'm curious what turns up here too...I'm in the middle of tryin' a couple of vintage, trashy-soundin' mics to try & snag that wild sound without the overdrive/fuzz pedal rigamarole...but I can never get the right amount of reverb from any venue in my town, tho I don't know how any of the local soundmen will take it if I try & bring my own...

• April 30, 2012 12:10 AM CDT
    • I did a cool interview with Vadge Moore from the dwarves, in 2001, its available for free in pdf from www.vadgemoore.com in the interviews section

SATAN'S GIFT TO WOMEN

from a zine i did back in the day

• April 29, 2012 8:13 PM CDT
    • Hi! My names Ox.

I live in Sydney and play in a garage-y type band called The Knits. Influenced by The Sonics, Jay Reatard and such. I am new to this board. Seems fun tho!

http://the-knits.tumblr.com/tagged/video

• April 29, 2012 7:20 PM CDT
    • Another one: L7 in Serial Mom. Thanks Antonio for posting that clip.

• April 29, 2012 7:15 PM CDT
    • Old dame? I see old dames that look as good as Ronnie like I've seen Kid Rock or Axl Rose carry a tune in a bucket....But , yeah , it is the original Mysterians. Robert Martinez was their first Drummer , but , he joined the Army before the band had a hit. So , he's back with them , now. But , "?", Bobby Balderrama , Frank Rodriguez , also all founding members. Frank Lugo was their second Bass Player (Who , along with Rodriguez , knew his number was coming up , so they enlisted on the "Buddy System".) , but, the first one , whose name I forget , was'nt with the band that long. So , yeah , they've got a right to say "Original ?ATM."

swt said:

Yes, Question Mark! When I saw him in New York last year, all the Mysterians, allegedly,were the originals and they were full of crazy energy. Here's a video of them playing "96 Tears" with an old dame named Ronnie Spector:

kopper said:

There are lots of bands still playing out with members in their 50s and up. The Fuzztones, D.O.A., The Cynics, The Fleshtones, The Chesterfield Kings... I'd bet all those guys are in their 50s. Nikki Corvette is still rockin', too. Take a look at the lineup for the recent Norton Records fest... The Real Kids (they ain't kids anymore!), the Great Gaylord, Andre Williams, The Sonics, ? and the Mysterians, Randy Fuller (Bobby's brother), Flamin Groovies, etc.

• April 29, 2012 5:57 PM CDT
    • How could I forget , Ken Vandermark , who , for years , might as well have been the only Saxophone Player in Chicago , majored in Avant Jazz , but , took a couple of pitstops to play Rock 'n' Roll , including with The Waste Kings , the Godfathers of Heavy Garage in Chicago. They were too good to be accepted by the miniscule , but growing , 90's Garage scene....They even put out a couple of 45s on Estrus , but , they did'nt SUCK , so it was hard to get the younger crowd on their side. With a new drummer , the group morphed into The Crown Royals(2 LPs/CDs on Estrus.), doing JBs/Meters style Funkstromentals. Later still , Vandermark left , and the remaining members became The Sol- Reys , carrying on in much the same style , with an ace keyboard player , and , eventually , a sax player.

Katie Dubz said:

Lora Logic is great! I really enjoy the band she put together after being booted from Spex...Essential Logic!! I think there was a couple dudes that came after her to play sax in X-Ray Spex but neither could match that coltish self-taught sound she brought to their first album.

John Battles said:

I can't think of that many , besides Mark Lindsay. When The Raiders were still more of a Frat Rock group , he was honkin' his horn a'plenty , and , later on the recited smoocher "Melody For an Unknown Girl.",  already out of date for it's time. I saw Mark in 2001 , and he was wailin' sax on numbers like "You Can't Sit Down" and "Night Train". Of course , The Raiders' "Louie" was more sax - driven , too. I'm not good on names . The Wailers had a couple of great sax players , inc. the guy who played with them in later years , when they stormed the Ponderosa Stomp. He killed !

Screamin' Jay played a pretty mean sax , himself , as did Ray Charles. Dave Hill from The Treniers , who's still alive and well , Dave "Bubba" Mitchell , from Milt Trenier's band , also still alive and CRAZY , as he nears his 90th Year , Earl Bostic , Louis Jordan ,  Lonnie Youngblood , The late , great , Sam Butera , Bobby Keyes , of course , Gordon from The Fleshtones , God Rest His Soul , Lora Logic from X- Ray Spex and Red Krayola , and her successor in the first band - Forgot his name - And ,who's the cat from The Pastel Six? I saw him sit in with Sky Saxon and The Seeds , it worked , too ! , Jesse Scinto , who's a younger guy , is keeping the honkin' sax tradition going , but , he does'nt seem to play much , these days....

• April 29, 2012 5:48 PM CDT
    • I'm hip. I had the Essential Logic LP , sorry to say , it did'nt do much for me. But , she was perfect for what Mayo Thompson was doing at the time....

Katie Dubz said:

Lora Logic is great! I really enjoy the band she put together after being booted from Spex...Essential Logic!! I think there was a couple dudes that came after her to play sax in X-Ray Spex but neither could match that coltish self-taught sound she brought to their first album.

John Battles said:

I can't think of that many , besides Mark Lindsay. When The Raiders were still more of a Frat Rock group , he was honkin' his horn a'plenty , and , later on the recited smoocher "Melody For an Unknown Girl.",  already out of date for it's time. I saw Mark in 2001 , and he was wailin' sax on numbers like "You Can't Sit Down" and "Night Train". Of course , The Raiders' "Louie" was more sax - driven , too. I'm not good on names . The Wailers had a couple of great sax players , inc. the guy who played with them in later years , when they stormed the Ponderosa Stomp. He killed !

Screamin' Jay played a pretty mean sax , himself , as did Ray Charles. Dave Hill from The Treniers , who's still alive and well , Dave "Bubba" Mitchell , from Milt Trenier's band , also still alive and CRAZY , as he nears his 90th Year , Earl Bostic , Louis Jordan ,  Lonnie Youngblood , The late , great , Sam Butera , Bobby Keyes , of course , Gordon from The Fleshtones , God Rest His Soul , Lora Logic from X- Ray Spex and Red Krayola , and her successor in the first band - Forgot his name - And ,who's the cat from The Pastel Six? I saw him sit in with Sky Saxon and The Seeds , it worked , too ! , Jesse Scinto , who's a younger guy , is keeping the honkin' sax tradition going , but , he does'nt seem to play much , these days....

• April 29, 2012 5:46 PM CDT
    • THEY SURE WERE ! I was lucky that I got to see them several times....Milt Trenier had his own club , fantastic place , a real 50's coctail lounge/Jazz club , but anyobody that had PANTS on could come in. The Treniers played there about twice a year. I first saw them in '89. Great performance , but not much at all , in the way of rockin' R'n'B. i WAITED ABOUT 5 YEARS , and saw them again , and the OKEH collection on Sony had come out , so , from thereon in , they were ROCKIN' THE HOUSE , AGAIN !!! If they had an engagement at Milt's place , I'd go at least two nights. I also saw them twice in Vegas. They were the last of a line , barring their friends , Freddie Bell and Sam Butera. Actually , when I saw Bell , it was a big letdown. Never got to see Sam , a bigger disappointment. Milt just turned 82 , and still gigs on a regular basis.

BackdoorStan said:

That guy could squeal up a storm, the Treniers were amazing

• April 29, 2012 1:53 PM CDT
    • Perm, Russia

bad taste party vol.5

bad taste party vol.2

pavel mint (bad taste party vol.6)

doggie & his dog band (bad taste party vol.7)

• April 29, 2012 12:17 PM CDT
    • Charlotte has no real scene..

• April 29, 2012 11:36 AM CDT
    • In Windsor Ontario there's a hardcore and punk scene that's sort of coming to life. Metal is dieing off sorta. as for garage we got Raised by Weeds and The Hypnotics.

• April 28, 2012 7:57 PM CDT
    • This is cool. Glad to see some local ATL bands going strong.

• April 29, 2012 12:45 PM CDT
    • Huzzah! If it's good enough for Nigel Tufnel, it's good enough for me!

• April 29, 2012 10:30 AM CDT
    • In an attempt to enter that torture-free afterlife I've added an 11 to the volume knob. Thanks for the *BOOM*, it keeps me going when the 405 turns into a parking lot.

• April 29, 2012 10:55 AM CDT
    • I think it's totally important to have some sort of cohesiveness in a visual band "style". Part of being in a band is presentation of your group, on a stage, to the throngs and hoards. Even if that throng and hord is the bartender, your sister and her three friends. It's always a good idea to look like you belong together. It adds to the excitement of a live show.

We wore our suits when we recorded. We wore matching custom tee shirts when we drove across the country and everybody stared at us when we stopped at "picture spots".

I love bands with themes and outfits. It shows they put a bit more thought and effort out there for the fans.

• April 28, 2012 7:55 PM CDT
    • We're a conglomerate, but for our shows we kind of wear something on a theme. I kinda dress like Mike Ness from the early 90s, but the rest just sort of wear street clothes.

• April 28, 2012 7:33 PM CDT
    • Atomic Suplex and Theee Bat if they haven't been listed yet.