Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• May 2, 2012 8:10 PM CDT
    • Every now and then even a seasoned sixties rock 'n' roll aficionado stumbles across an album that prompts an internal, "how the frick did I miss THAT one?". (Well, externalized in this instance.) Perhaps it were the prog purples on its front jacket that were off-putting. Could it have been its seemingly twee-littered track listing, including "Impeccable Girl" and "Happy and Young Together"? Whatever. The point is, I've finally traversed the accidental detour- which is not to say I've witnessed pop perfection, not by a long shot. Yet it boasts enough indelible ditties to warrant its proud placement on my buckled shelf between "Friday On My Mind" and The Left Banke. By the way, "Happy and Young Together" is a 12-string crash-and-burn mod blaster lined with lysergic acid. KA-SHPPPAAANNNG!

• May 2, 2012 7:25 PM CDT
    • That's messed up. :( All my guy friends love girls with guitars. I've taught them how to play a bunch of songs too.

I've read stories though, and I don't think I've ever had to deal with anything that bad. There's some jerks out there man, and even girls pushing other girls out of playing? That makes me so mad.

• May 2, 2012 6:56 PM CDT
    • New playlist!

www.mediazoic.com/jambone-scuzz

1)      Black Lips – Bad Kids

2)      Bowie – Queen Bitch

3)      Iggy Pop – China Girl

4)      Catl. – Gotta Thing For You

5)      Thee Dirty Beats – The Witch

6)      Dead Kennedys - Rawhide

7)      Big Black – Model

8)      Tom Waits – Earth Died Screaming

9)      Ramones – Chinese Rock

10)   The Buzzcocks – Orgasm Addict

11)   Motorhead – Love Me Like  A Reptile

12)   Rolling Stones – Rip This Joint

13)   Subways – Oh Yeah

14)   Polymorphines – Good Vibrations

15)   13th Floor Elevators – Fire Engine

16)   Reverend’s Big Damn Band – Two Bottles of Wine

17)   Joy Division – Isolation

18)   Le Tigre – Deceptacon

19)   Bikini Kill – Rebel Girl

20)   Gang of Four – Natural’s Not In It

@ScuzzRockRadio

www.facebook.com/ScuzzRockRadio

• May 2, 2012 10:34 AM CDT
    • Heh. Then that is probably why it sounds familiar... Thanks!

For some reason, I thought it was a cover (probably because they played covers in the other videos).

Good tunes. 

Mike Humsgreen said:

Check out the first Hideout comp! I'm pretty sure the rule on those records was no covers :p

The Ungodly 77s said:

The song you played at the bikini bar, I know I heard it before. Who originally did it and what is the name of the song?

thanks,

Will Crum said:

The Wendy's gig was the first guerilla thing we EVER did, and the guy who filmed it is sitting on the footage doing nothing (despite his promise to see more.) Sure it will see light of day at some point. Here's another one y'all might like:

• May 1, 2012 3:35 PM CDT
    • Check out the first Hideout comp! I'm pretty sure the rule on those records was no covers :p

The Ungodly 77s said:

The song you played at the bikini bar, I know I heard it before. Who originally did it and what is the name of the song?

thanks,

Will Crum said:

The Wendy's gig was the first guerilla thing we EVER did, and the guy who filmed it is sitting on the footage doing nothing (despite his promise to see more.) Sure it will see light of day at some point. Here's another one y'all might like:

• May 1, 2012 2:24 PM CDT
    • The song you played at the bikini bar, I know I heard it before. Who originally did it and what is the name of the song?

thanks,

Will Crum said:

• May 1, 2012 2:01 PM CDT
    • A local band in my little town just did this a few days back: guerrilla show at the local Salvation Army (in Ann Arbor, Mi). I think many of the instruments were toys and things the store had "on the shelves". His band is called The Rainbow Vomit Family Band, but they are calling themselves the Junkyard Hangover Band in this video (probably because they were hung over and playing crap at the thrift store).

• May 2, 2012 6:53 AM CDT
    • Oh I was going to say Strawberry Alarm Clock in Psych Out too. I love that film. Aren't the Seeds in that too? The weird funeral scene?

The Pretty Things are in What's Good For The Goose, cringey scene but I really like this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uztSM0QhNY

• May 1, 2012 5:55 PM CDT
    • Another one: Jeff Healy in Roadhouse.

• May 2, 2012 5:22 AM CDT
    • And I'm glad you do, Mr sleazy !!!

• May 2, 2012 12:45 AM CDT
    • This week's program featured recordings from Montreal's Light Bulb Alley.  I also did an interview with Allister of LBA for my blog. 

Other bands on this weeks program include The Bell Peppers, Ghost Bikini, Cold Warps, Weirdonia, Brazilian Money, The Count Five, Klark Kent, Ramones, Radio Birdman, The Skids and more!

Download this weeks podcast:  http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20120501-1030-t1335864600.mp3

Check out this week's blog post with the full play list, download links and a short internview with Allister of Light Bulb Alley:  http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2012/05/light-bulb-alley-interview-show-402.html

The Play List:

1.  Cold Warps – Hang Up On You

2.  Brazilian Money – Should’ve Known

3.  Ghost Bikini – Summer Heat

4.  Bo Diddley – Pills

5.  The Pretty Things – Get The Picture?

6.  The Black Sharks – Jokers Wild

7.  The Bell Peppers – Golf Shack

8.  The Ventures – Wipe Out

9.  Exploding Hearts – Throwaway Style

10. The Mods – Step Out Tonight

11. Klark Kent – Too Kool To Kalypso

12. Jack Antonio Project – Sleeping Dogs Lie

13. Grinderman – Worm Tamer (A Place To Bury Strangers Remix)

14. The Count Five – The World

15. Weirdonia – Green Tables

16. Raised By Weeds – My Word (CJAM Session)

17. Light Bulb Alley – Long Time Coming

18. Light Bulb Alley – Who Do You Love?

19. Heroes & Villains – SDWC

20. Radio Birdman – Hand of Law

21. The Skids – The Saints Are Coming

22. Sex Pistols – Problems

23. Richard Hell & The Voidoids - The Kid With The Replaceable Head

24. White Stripes - I Think I Smell A Rat

25. Ramones – Wart Hog

• May 1, 2012 10:25 PM CDT
    • I almost forgot one of my favorites....

"Got My Mojo Workin'" by Muddy Waters. OK , I KNEW he was'nt saying what it SOUNDED like he was saying.......

What Muddy Waters actually sang:

"I'm goin' down to Louisiana to get me a mojo hand. I'm gonna have all you women ret'chunder (Right under) my command...".

What it sounded like (To me.) "I'm gonna have all you women RETCHIN' at my command !".

• May 1, 2012 8:42 PM CDT
    • ...Richie Teeter died about a month ago. Granted , there was'nt much press about it.

He had'nt played with The Dictators since , probably , the early to mid 80's. But , he put in his time. The last I heard of him playing with the band was on the ROIR cassette , one of several one - off reunions , until the band reformed , in earnest ,ca. 1989-90.  I'd never  heard that he played with Twisted Sister , but ,  I never paid them any mind (Tho' , yes , ex - Dictators Bassist , Mark "The Animal" Mendoza , played in T.S. in their commercial prime.).

• May 1, 2012 5:53 PM CDT
    • Died last week;

Richie Teeter, drummer for The Dictators and Twisted Sister

Chris Etheridge, Bassist for The Flying Burrito Brothers

• May 1, 2012 8:32 PM CDT
    • The Monks and Los Saicos from Perú.

• May 1, 2012 4:18 PM CDT
    • HEY PEOPLE FROM AROUND THE WORLD! IF ANYTHING BELOW THE RIO GRANDE SOUNDS LIKE UNCHARTED TERRITORY THEN WHY NOT PAY US A VISIT AT EL TOCADISCOS SALVAJE .  WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THE KICK OF A TEQUILA SHOT, THE COOL SWING OF COPACABANA BEACH, AND THE WILD AIR OF THE PAMPAS ALL TOGETHER IN ONE HOUR OF THE CRAZIEST LATIN AMERICAN SOUNDS!

SUBSCRIBE TO EL TOCADISCOS SALVAJE

• May 1, 2012 1:44 PM CDT
    • Hi everyone :)

There's a new compilation available on my blog (as usual, a podcast file in aac / mp4).

This one is mainly Goth/Batcave/Alternative/Stoner, it's called "We're so Happy", and you will hear (amongst others) Joy Division, The Danse Society, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, Bauhaus, New Model Army, Le Tigre, Rapeman, Monkey3, Acid King, Neurosis, Killing Joke, New Order, Echo & The Bunnymen, Adam And The Ants, The Gun Club, Noir Désir, Wire ...

For non french speaking, the second song (les Fatals Picards) is a joke about Gothics, it sounds silly on purpose, don't be surprised ;)

-> to my blog

• May 1, 2012 12:53 PM CDT
    • Ola! My name is Josephine and I live in Norfolk, UK. I have 2 little children aged 3 1/2 and nearly 2. Not been on this site for long, known of it for ages and listened to podcasts but getting disillusioned by Facebook and would rather talk to more normal people on here! Anyway I was into blues for a long time and suppose it all went from there, I love soul and RnB as well and obviously a load of other stuff, mostly on my profile, errrr hate filling these things out... I also like taking pictures, reading, the beach (I live right by it), usual stuff I guess! Studying a health and social degree at the moment. Would like to be a nurse some day but have to work evenings when my kids are in bed so it's taking a bit of time! So yeah. Add me if you want to chat!

• April 30, 2012 7:01 PM CDT
    • Garage punk doesn't require conventional "talent."

Ray Bentos said:

hello im ollie.

Origonally from the fens in lincolnshire then lived in london for 22 years before moving to sydney 2 years ago. Basically started listening to punk when i was about 12 through the older kids and my brother in my village. BUt then they used to play wreckin crew at the once a month holbeach youth club disco and i was hooked. Spent the next few years travelling up to klub foot every weekend . After klub foot shut i sort of drifted into punk and hardcore which has been basically what ive been into evr since . Love garage though im not too intouch with any of the modern bands. Mostly listen to billy childish stuff , mummies , restless , milkshakes etc also real soft spot for angry samoans , screeching weasel , ramones , queers anything ramonesy and armitage shanks and jonny moped!! Last few years ive been taking evry chance i can to go to japan cos the place is fanatastic and the punk garage scene is huge .

never had any talent to make any music myself !

• May 1, 2012 11:14 AM CDT
    • Didn't The Three O'Clock start out as The Salvation Army. Not to say that the Salvation Army is a huge corporation.

• May 1, 2012 10:52 AM CDT
    • I think more bands should name themselves after corporations. Then when the mega-giant corporation grabs all the headlines for sending your lame-ass band a cease & desist, you'll have a huge legion of new fans.

So who's ready to name their band MONSANTO? (Which you can just later rename MODSANTO or MONSANDO)

Or BANK OF AMERICA (rename after they try to sue you: BAND OF AMERICA)

• April 30, 2012 6:59 PM CDT
    • Nice, Kopper. My favorite of those is, "The Fucking Assholes."

• May 1, 2012 4:12 AM CDT
    • We would do this in Aus, too. Set up, do a short 15 - 20 minute set then break down. By the time the police arrive you've long since packed up. The idea was not to look the part. If neighbours see thirty of your mates hanging around, they call the police early.

By the way, I really love how international this conversation has been.

• May 1, 2012 12:50 AM CDT
    • I'm 55 and I played Coachella last weekend. In 2 weeks I fly to France to headline the Cosmic Trip Festival. I've been playing in bands since 1972 & I've never had a time that I've not been in a band. In fact, at the moment I'm in 2 different bands.

• May 1, 2012 12:41 AM CDT

• Awesome!
      G. Wood said:

One more... An unmarked Teisco, 60's. Great player, really strong pickups.