Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 20, 2012 11:33 AM CDT
    • Facebook is really lame, it's a platform every business has to buy into, but since it's free you have no say in how it makes you conduct business.  Clever, huh?  Dislike

• April 20, 2012 11:12 AM CDT
    • If you don't like it, unlike it. I agree it's fucked up that they make you like it first, but you can just as easily unlike the page later.

Mardy Pune said:

That is the worst marketing ploy ever, a nasty corporate tactic to get into peoples timelines.

Elle Diabla said:

Do you know what is really fucked up? Some FB pages MAKE you hit like to hear the music. That is such an awful scam. So it's totally not accurate whether that many people like the band or not. I don't respect it when a band sets that feature.

• April 20, 2012 11:02 AM CDT
    • I know exactly what you're talking about King Lemon.  I think when it comes to bands, bookers use Facebook likes as some kind of measure of your success.  They're looking to see how many people want to be kept abreast of your upcoming shows.  It's not particularly fair though as facebook is only one way to get the word out, and even if you had a billion FB fans it doesn't guarantee them coming out to see your band.  

• April 20, 2012 12:42 AM CDT
    • Hey!  "Like" my band fellow rock'n'rollers!  1/3 of my "likes" are from my family members!! 

Ramma Lamma!

• April 20, 2012 12:15 AM CDT
    • That is the worst marketing ploy ever, a nasty corporate tactic to get into peoples timelines.

Elle Diabla said:

Do you know what is really fucked up? Some FB pages MAKE you hit like to hear the music. That is such an awful scam. So it's totally not accurate whether that many people like the band or not. I don't respect it when a band sets that feature.

• April 19, 2012 10:23 PM CDT
    • Do you know what is really fucked up? Some FB pages MAKE you hit like to hear the music. That is such an awful scam. So it's totally not accurate whether that many people like the band or not. I don't respect it when a band sets that feature.

• April 19, 2012 9:52 PM CDT

• kopper said:

Agreed, Mardy. The whole "like" thing is completely overblown/overrated has gone out of control. It was because Michael Kaiser's RadiOblivion podcast wasn't getting enough "likes" here on the Hideout that he decided to stop doing it and ditch the site entirely (I believe he also deleted his Facebook account, for what it's worth). He specifically told me that he stopped doing his show because not enough people here "liked" it. Amazing.

That is to bad since you should always do something that you enjoy and not worry about what other people think.

• April 20, 2012 10:44 AM CDT
    • Not surprisingly, i endorse bubblegum music. I was fortunate/unfortunate enough to have been 3 or 4 when the bubblegum counterrevolution hit at the end of the sixties, and two of my favorite songs of all time to this day are "Yummy Yummy Yummy" and "Chewy Chewy." Huzzah!

• April 20, 2012 8:58 AM CDT
    • Well, hold on......putting the BCRs in the same bag with the UNDERRated Monkees is like trying to compare chocolate with pure s**t.....where The Bay City Rollers is the latter of course. In MY time, B music was intended as meaning Suzi Quatro, Marc Bolan, etc. ..........so yes, I DO love B M :):):)

• April 20, 2012 8:17 AM CDT
    • Yummy, Yummy, Yummy I got love in my tummy for Bubblegum Music. The first music I remember as a wee lad.  

• April 19, 2012 11:39 PM CDT
    • love that stuff - got a cd comp of ohio express, 1910 etc ... play it a lot... some great stuff from that era!  love the kasenatz katz guys... no shame in bubblegum

• April 19, 2012 10:40 PM CDT
    • John...

• April 20, 2012 10:11 AM CDT
    • That's a new one to us Sam, but we'll be happy to check 'em out.

Sam Sinister said:

Hey guys, have you heard the NYC band The Bloody Muffs?

• April 20, 2012 7:30 AM CDT
    • Hey guys, have you heard the NYC band The Bloody Muffs?

Jersey City Mods said:

Hey, we're Bob & Marti but go by Jersey City Mods on most public access sites because we don't want potential employers or prosecution attorneys Googling things that could be used against us.  Neither of us are musicians but we met as college radio hosts, collaborating on a show called The Groovy Cellar from 81-84.  We used to live for record shopping and shows, stopping by Midnight Records in NYC before going to the original Cavestomps at the Dive. I wish we'd been a little more social and less intimidated by the bands then, but we still managed to have a great time. Lived in Philly for awhile and met a number of great bands there.  Now we're back in the NYC area, still looking for exciting, new-to-us music.  See ya at the shows, we'll be at the bar.

• April 20, 2012 7:02 AM CDT
    • Don't forget about the Guitar Wolf movies. The little parts that the band plays in those are pretty epic.

• April 20, 2012 3:20 AM CDT
    • Eddie, in Hollywood

• April 19, 2012 11:20 PM CDT
    • Outstanding. If anyone cares , and has'nt got too much cool on 'em , I just saw The Yardbirds , and they KILLED.

Matthew Nykodym said:

Pretty good scene of the Yardbirds.

http://youtu.be/_zeza1xeWKM

• April 20, 2012 12:22 AM CDT
    • OK , I CONFESS MY IGNORANCE ....i DID'NT KNOW THE BUCK OWENS COLORING BOOK / FLEXI DISC WAS SOMETHING ORIGINALLY MEANT FOR RELEASE ON RSD. I THOUGHT YOU MEANT SOMETHING THAT CAME OUT , BACK IN THE DAY. IT COULD HAVE ! IF YOU CARE TO PERUSE MY PAGE , YOU'LL SEE TENNESSEE ERNIE FORD HAWKING HIS SAUSAGE AND BISCUITS CHAIN ON A 2 45 SET !

• April 20, 2012 12:19 AM CDT
    • THANKS , MOLE. I love how some of those sleeves resemble the Hip Pocket Records.

Mole said:

For real! Check it out:

http://www.sundazed.com/shop/rsd2012.php

John Battles said:

You're killing me ! They're doing all of those in one fell swoop? Seems like they usually have just one or two 45s for RSD. Guess I'll have to wake up before 10 , now...

Mole said:

All the neato 45s that Sundazed are peddling - Chocolate Watchband, Bloos Magoos, Captain Beefheart, Byrds, Gene Clark etc. All top gear!!!

• April 20, 2012 12:16 AM CDT
    • wHAT ABOUT eUCLID  ? oR IS THAT NOT CONSIDERED PART OF sT. lOUIS....Or , did they close? i'VE ONLY BEEN THERE , ONCE. s'CUSE MY CAPS.

kopper said:

We still have some great record stores here in St. Louis that get a lot of support and have events planned for Record Store Day. Apop Records on Cherokee (great new & used underground punk/garage/indy/noise stuff), Vintage Vinyl on the Delmar Loop, Euclid Records in Webster Groves, and the (HUGE) Record Exchange on Hampton (which is housed in an old city library building and has an entire room full of old 45s).

• April 19, 2012 11:37 PM CDT
    • got a beat up vhs version somewhere in the shed...

• April 19, 2012 10:36 PM CDT
    • Misfits.