Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• February 9, 2012 12:07 AM CST
    • This little label from Memphis, Sun Records, put out some records I enjoy listening to. And I'm not just talking bout Orion ;-)

Axel

• February 8, 2012 8:48 PM CST
    • YESSSSS

Alison said:

All of the above and more currently,

• Trouble in Mind
      • HoZac
      • Dirtnap
      • Slovenly
      • Hardly Art
      • Goner
      • 1234 Go!
      • Douchemaster
      • Tic Tac Totally
      • Castle Face

• February 8, 2012 6:05 PM CST
    • Touch and Go

Fat Possum

Amphetamine Reptile

• February 8, 2012 5:54 PM CST
    • BOMP!

• February 8, 2012 12:34 PM CST
    • Thanks for giving Little Steven some credit. I like his label too.

Andrew Malcolm said:

Estrus 

Redrum

Past & Present

Daptone

Rhino

Sundazed

Major Label, Ecco-Fonic, and anything Deke Dickerson related!

Get Hip

Numero

Wicked Cool (Hey, you have to give Steven Van Zandt at least a little credit)

• February 8, 2012 12:33 PM CST
    • Nice to see a couple of people mentioning Get Hip.

• February 8, 2012 3:34 AM CST
    • Estrus 

Redrum

Past & Present

Daptone

Rhino

Sundazed

Major Label, Ecco-Fonic, and anything Deke Dickerson related!

Get Hip

Numero

Wicked Cool (Hey, you have to give Steven Van Zandt at least a little credit)

• February 8, 2012 2:27 AM CST
    • Rip Off records (DEP)

Rumble Records

No Tomorrow

Blondes must die

Discos Humeantes

• February 8, 2012 10:26 PM CST
    • Love the Biters

• February 8, 2012 1:32 PM CST
    • i don't really keep up with my scene (Philadelphia) as much I used to when I was a super cool 19 year old haha. Now I'm into older garage/punk/soul stuff, plus the scene is lacking IMO, but here are a few that i think are alright...

The Pussy Dogs

Slutever

Dry Feet

Cousin Brian

• February 8, 2012 7:02 AM CST
    • And here's our brothers GIUDA!

...the best glam rock act in Italy! We have the same producers.

• February 8, 2012 6:41 AM CST
    • Here's my own band, SUNGLASSES AFTER DARK!

...Rome's finest BOOOOGIEPUNK combo! B)

There's a good hardcore/punk rock scene in Rome but few garage bands.

• February 8, 2012 9:15 PM CST
    • Crud, I just remembered this:

• February 8, 2012 9:14 PM CST
    • The King Sound Quartet (Mick Collins, Tim Kerr, Alex Cuervo & Stephanie Paige Friedman) did a great cover of Sun Ra's "Space Is the Place" on The Get-Down Imperative LP.

• February 8, 2012 9:02 PM CST
    • Most of the best examples of garage-y jazz would probably come from B-flicks, mostly 60s spy movies like Fantastic Argoman, Mission Stardust, Diabolik, and the like. Another good example would be in Teenage Tupelo, the song "One More Hit" during D'lana's dream sequence. Aside from stuff like that, I can't really think of any actual bands that try to make that kind of music. Methinks there's a void to fill.

• February 8, 2012 5:06 PM CST
    • sure, as a full-blown genre the term is a bit of a stretch (aren't they all, really?), but here's what I'm thinking about:

John Zorn (ie, Spy vs Spy, the Masada stuff)

The Lounge Lizards

some of James Chance & the Contortions material

a lot of the projects Skerik is associated with: Critters Buggin, Garage a Trois, Crack Sabbath, the Dead KennyG's, etc.)

Any others? Would love some help in compiling a larger list...

Some vids:

• February 8, 2012 4:43 PM CST
    • I'm not really a newbie, I was a long time member of the old forum.  But I am new to the Hideout!  And loving it.   Great site.

• February 8, 2012 7:36 AM CST
    • Lennon and McCartney were one of the best song writing pairs ever. Name another with more hits. They would have had even more if they hadn't released so many albums with multiple number one hits that often competed against other songs from the same album. 

They have a bunch of songs that can make great punk songs also. 

• February 8, 2012 3:03 AM CST
    • Hey Mardy Pune: love your turn of phrase here; "... some of their chord structures are beautiful nightmares to try to play." Kewl.

"Hate stuff for the sake of hating stuff"? I think some people who are saying "I hate x" do have their reasons -- but maybe aren't providing enough of them to those of us reading their posts?

Or, it may be fun to just hate the old stuff to piss other people off. The Beatles and the other 'biggies,' perhaps what you might call 'foundational' groups are Big Targets?

Or some people just like to stiiiiiir. :-) I can relate to the last one when I think back a bit...

Mel

Mardy Pune said:

Let's clear this up now:

Elvis isn't God, Elvis is the King baby!

I don't like The Beatles and I don't hate The Beatles. I won't argue that they weren't an important or influential band, cause they were. They were incredibly crafty song writers, some of their chord structures are beautiful nightmares to try to play. I don't understand why people hate stuff for the sake of hating stuff, morons.

• February 8, 2012 2:41 AM CST
    • Let's clear this up now:

Elvis isn't God, Elvis is the King baby!

I don't like The Beatles and I don't hate The Beatles. I won't argue that they weren't an important or influential band, cause they were. They were incredibly crafty song writers, some of their chord structures are beautiful nightmares to try to play. I don't understand why people hate stuff for the sake of hating stuff, morons.

• February 7, 2012 8:33 PM CST
    • LOL --- yeah -- same with the punk icon comments. At least, I read them in the same vein/w/ same sentiment. I suppose it's tearing down idols for whatever is happening in the present, which I'm the LAST person to say isn't helpful. There's got to be a certain amount of that to do something new, if that's what you're into.

You can stand on those shoulders, or you can throw shit on 'em really, for all I care. I just think it's kinda silly to hate something simply because it's old. Or seems old.

"Yeah, I'm looking for the next... best... thing." Sing it.

the Record Detective said:

Interesting recordings when they were a rock and roll band, not so interesting as a rock band. And the nursery rhymes- give me a break. But really, they've been gone since before 1970.      ENOUGH ALREADY.

• February 7, 2012 8:06 PM CST
    • Interesting recordings when they were a rock and roll band, not so interesting as a rock band. And the nursery rhymes- give me a break. But really, they've been gone since before 1970.      ENOUGH ALREADY.

• February 7, 2012 4:16 PM CST
    • And back to the Beatles. Isn't one of the problems with any discussion of the B's is: which Beatles you talkin' about? The early stuff (yeah, we know where that music originated) and no, it wasn't revolutionary, except that they did and do still sound unique -- the combination of members, their voices, the ways they played. It's a BAND right? 

But then there are the different creative periods -- each person I know who listens to them has a different take on Their Beatles. That puts them again in the category of unique, and in my opinion, special. How many bands have that capability? To grow and change and groove off each other's talents that way?  And the volume of work? Astounding.

p.s:I sooooo wanted to say something about the comments re Pistols and Clash. *calm down Melissa* but it's not the thread for it. 

• February 7, 2012 4:11 PM CST
    • back to the beatles...  So yea I like The Beatles always have and can always play their albums before SGT. Peppers and like what I am hearing, really get into it..  sure I no longer am like "OMG! this is the best thing ever!" but thats normal once you hear something so many time. from tv, radio, friends and so on....... however, I do get really annoyed when people come over to my apartment and see my record collection and they always ask "hey you got any beatles records I love them can you play some!". I don't know why I just get annoyed I'm like a have a ton of music that will blow your mind and all this stuff you probably haven't heard of, but you want me to put on The White Album.. ughh

• February 7, 2012 4:02 PM CST
    • The fuck are we talking about authentic Punk for? If anybody wants to complain about that we should be complaining about what they call Punk nowadays.