Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• February 10, 2012 11:52 AM CST
    • Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that IN THE RED has gotta be the #1 "garage" label out there right now? 

I mean, they've been releasing some of the best, most provocative rock'n'roll of various garage/punk/noise stripes now for two decades, and then yesterday the news spread that the almighty OBLIVIANS will be recording their first studio LP in 15 years, to be released later this year on ITR... and then today I see that ITR's Larry Hardy is also helping Poison Ivy resurrect the Cramps' Vengeance Records!

• February 10, 2012 10:12 AM CST
    • My episodes seems to be fine, although the feed is missing the last two episodes because I haven't hosted them anywhere as of yet. They'll be up soon when I get some free time. They can still be found in the main GaragePunk Pirate Radio feed posted above.

But then again, you didn't want to listen to this show anyway, did you? DID YOU!?

• February 10, 2012 9:56 AM CST
    • Can you give us some specific examples? I'd like to see what you mean but need a show to search for first. Also, a screenshot might be helpful, too.

Each show host is responsible for their individual show feeds, and the management of that feed. We had an issue recently with Mevio suspending some of our shows (long story), but they were supposed to be reinstating them the last I heard. That may be causing the problem, but again, without knowing specifically which show(s) you're referring to, I can only speculate.

The main GaragePunk Pirate Radio feed is still active on iTunes, though:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/garagepunk-pirate-radio/id488749369

I'll try to get the show hosts involved with this discussion so they can each check their own iTunes listings/feeds.

Cheers,

kopper

• February 9, 2012 4:21 PM CST
    • When I search for them in the itunes store nearly all of them are grayed out and can't be subscribed to.  

Any idea why?  I figure it's something simple like it thinks I'm underage or something.

Thanks!

• February 10, 2012 11:21 AM CST
    • Gotta hand it to Slovenly, Voodoo Rhythm, Douchemaster, Telephone Explosion, Goner, Vice, Burger, Trouble in Mind and motherfuckin' IN THE RED for releasing some of the best damned shit the past few years.

I'm probably forgetting some, too.

• February 9, 2012 7:01 AM CST
    • Born Bad Records

XVIII records

Teenage Menopause records

all from Paris !

• February 9, 2012 3:56 AM CST
    • Am Rep... what a fearless label they were!!! Another label in the same vein was Trance Syndicate.

Robert Bell said:

Touch and Go

Fat Possum

Amphetamine Reptile

• February 9, 2012 1:41 AM CST
    • Double crown records

• February 10, 2012 9:39 AM CST
    • Wayne County Ramblin' is a great flick featuring The Gories, Eddie Kirkland, etc. and guys like Tav Falco and Bill Peitsch (The Church Keys) acting in it. It's a good one, made by Dan Rose. I think you can buy it from his website.

• February 10, 2012 3:34 AM CST
    • Ahhh, that green-eyed monster that haunts a musician's soul from time to time? Success, she's a bloody bitch temptress ain't she? I've seen bands implode on the verge of success due to jealousy. Yuh, DURMmmmm. But, as Sam Sinister said on a different thread, most of the bands that people quote as germinal, big icons like The Clash, were all trying to make it BIG. Some are considered 'cool' but missed out on the REALLY BIG SHOOO.

Music, if you play it or are a listener, is always personal. A song or lp might evoke a lover, a period of time, an idea the is held near and dear. I used to be like, diss my song and make me mad. Music is tribal too -- so my friends and me, we like X. And you don't.

There's all sorts of rubbish I listen to now that I wouldn't 10 years ago. I'm listening for different things than I used to. Put on a record you loved 20 years ago and you may just learn something new -- Like, damn, I never heard the bass line like that before -- even though I now think the song itself is unoriginal and boring.

What's cool about the Hideout is that we ALL have the same basic obsession in common -- garage/punk, the raw stuff. :-) Ain't it the best? *smirk*

Mardy Pune said:

Some good points there Mel. I have to wonder sometimes if the hate isn't purely based around the success the band has enjoyed.

melissa scott said:

Hey Mardy Pune: love your turn of phrase here; "... some of their chord structures are beautiful nightmares to try to play." Kewl.

"Hate stuff for the sake of hating stuff"? I think some people who are saying "I hate x" do have their reasons -- but maybe aren't providing enough of them to those of us reading their posts?

Or, it may be fun to just hate the old stuff to piss other people off. The Beatles and the other 'biggies,' perhaps what you might call 'foundational' groups are Big Targets?

Or some people just like to stiiiiiir. :-) I can relate to the last one when I think back a bit...

Mel

Mardy Pune said:

Let's clear this up now:

Elvis isn't God, Elvis is the King baby!

I don't like The Beatles and I don't hate The Beatles. I won't argue that they weren't an important or influential band, cause they were. They were incredibly crafty song writers, some of their chord structures are beautiful nightmares to try to play. I don't understand why people hate stuff for the sake of hating stuff, morons.

• February 10, 2012 1:17 AM CST
    • Some good points there Mel. I have to wonder sometimes if the hate isn't purely based around the success the band has enjoyed.

melissa scott said:

Hey Mardy Pune: love your turn of phrase here; "... some of their chord structures are beautiful nightmares to try to play." Kewl.

"Hate stuff for the sake of hating stuff"? I think some people who are saying "I hate x" do have their reasons -- but maybe aren't providing enough of them to those of us reading their posts?

Or, it may be fun to just hate the old stuff to piss other people off. The Beatles and the other 'biggies,' perhaps what you might call 'foundational' groups are Big Targets?

Or some people just like to stiiiiiir. :-) I can relate to the last one when I think back a bit...

Mel

Mardy Pune said:

Let's clear this up now:

Elvis isn't God, Elvis is the King baby!

I don't like The Beatles and I don't hate The Beatles. I won't argue that they weren't an important or influential band, cause they were. They were incredibly crafty song writers, some of their chord structures are beautiful nightmares to try to play. I don't understand why people hate stuff for the sake of hating stuff, morons.

• February 9, 2012 10:30 PM CST
    • awww damn, never saw there discography... you might be right.

hicksville hogwash said:

Leiber & Stoller are in fact the best song writing pair ever.  http://www.leiberstoller.com/Discography.html as one can see even The "black bad boy" Beatles, Mr. "Pass me the pills Doc" Presley...  most of the gods on this thread did versions of their songs.

True the Beatles are easy targets i don't hate them, the older I get the more easy I am on them. .....

• February 9, 2012 7:53 PM CST
    • they wrote helter skelter. its a sin to dislike.

HELTER SKELTER

Byrds are still better tho.

• February 9, 2012 7:55 AM CST
    • Leiber & Stoller are in fact the best song writing pair ever.  http://www.leiberstoller.com/Discography.html as one can see even The "black bad boy" Beatles, Mr. "Pass me the pills Doc" Presley...  most of the gods on this thread did versions of their songs.

True the Beatles are easy targets i don't hate them, the older I get the more easy I am on them. .....

• February 10, 2012 2:09 AM CST
    • What's happening in my scene? Not enough! If any cool bands are passing through NE Iowa & want a cool lo-fi venue to play then they should look up Space Jams 109 on Facebook & learn more about the scene here in Cedar Falls. It's a small venue but it puts on great shows. Look them up if you or a band you know is passing through.

• February 9, 2012 11:25 PM CST
    • It helps if a crowd having a birthday party is there.

# 1 thing you must do is play to the common people. Do not bother trying to impress other Js with how obscure you can be. A DJ or 2 does not pay you. The crowd pays you.I usually do a solid hour of well-known hits in whatever genre it is that night, around midnight.

You may have no control over this but the place must be a "destination."

• February 9, 2012 11:05 PM CST
    • ha, this happened to me... flyered so much. had sick flyers too, photoshop/illustrator, design guy here. But its different for my city (philadelphia), living here for almost 6 years now, very few people care about garage/punk or for that matter the music the dj plays. all about who promotes it and whos there and whether or not they are going to get their picture taken and show up on some dumb Facebook page... so lame... 

• February 9, 2012 10:25 PM CST
    • all the best fest are never on the East Coast... well i guess cavestomp used to be here and the norton 25 year thing just happen... but still the regular garage punk fest never anywhere near me :(

• February 9, 2012 8:27 PM CST
    • Baaaaah I want to! It's a 10 hour drive for me and that's about 5 hours too much. I saw Acid Baby Jesus once and they were great. Los Vigilantes are coming here in March and I hope to catch them then. Awesome line up for sure.

• February 9, 2012 7:53 PM CST
    • That was last year's lineup (it was awesome). Here is 2012.  I am most excited about Acid Baby Jesus and Los Vigilantes:

Zero Boys
      New Bomb Turks
      Quintron & Miss Pussycat
      Gentleman Jesse
      Persuaders
      Timmy's Organism
      OBN IIIs
      TV Ghost
      Wax Museums
      Video
      Acid Baby Jesus
      Los Vigilantes
      Paint Fumes
      Useless Eaters
      Peach Kelli Pop
      GG King
      Barreracudas
      COPS
      Wymyns Prysyn
      Black Lodge
      Fletcher C Johnson
      Dino Boys

• February 9, 2012 3:30 PM CST
    • ATLANTA, GEORGIA

April 15-17

http://www.facebook.com/events/263892243681115/

TESTORS: featuring Sonny Vincent
      Oblivians
      Subsonics
      Hunx & His Punx
      Mind Spiders
      GG King
      Personal & The Pizzas
      Shannon & The Clams
      Ex Humans
      K Holes
      White Mystery
      Predator
      Half Rats
      Die Rotzz
      Bad Sports
      Midnite Snaxxx
      COPS
      The Clap
      Dunch w/ Gentleman Jesse
      More TBA

• February 9, 2012 9:25 AM CST
    • MC5's "Gold" is more jazzy than "LA Blues".

The James Taylor Quartet - One Way Street 

at 0.53

The James Taylor Quartet - The Cat (It's a cover version of, maybe, Jimmy Smith Quartet.)