Forums » Continental U.S.

List of newest posts

• August 18, 2010 6:12 PM CDT
    • Hello, my name Erik Johnson and I am relatively new to the Garage Punk Hideout, but wanted to share some cool news about an upcoming show for those who might be interested!

For the first time in their twenty years of rock Electric Frankenstein will be playing in Minneapolis at the Minneapolis Messaround Traditional car and bike show Sunday, September 5th at Memory Lanes Bowling Alley!

Check out the commercial for more information too!

• August 13, 2010 10:44 PM CDT
    • this zine comes from western Mass. I think I might get published in it next issue.  There is a Cd that comes with a subscription... they last had a show with Wharton Tiers it was awesome so I reviewed it with my stream of contiousness... the new issue comes out in September.

• August 11, 2010 8:25 PM CDT
    • Hey all, does anyone know an amazing surf band in the NE that could play at a late show rec release party for The Specific Heats at Glasslands in Brooklyn on Saturday, Aug 28th?

I've asked Mister Neutron, Captain Ahab & The Sea Crackens and The Tarantinos NYC and none of them can make it.

I'm looking for a really good and fun surf band ala Phantom Surfers, Man or Astro-Man?, Nebulas, etc. not that smooth shitty Aqua Velvets style surf or 3 old dudes playing Misirlou all shitty without spring reverb (and definitely not without any reverb at all - and YES, surf bands this bad DO exist in the Northeast, I've seen a few!)

If anyone has any leads, please reply here or even better, email us at:
      TheSpecificHeats@gmail.com

THANKS!
       - Mat

• August 10, 2010 5:37 PM CDT
    • Ah some fellow Denver folk eh? Hello all! Sucks I missed the show, but I'm down for any future shows.

• August 10, 2010 7:57 AM CDT
    • I've thought about doing this in St. Louis but there just aren't enough good bands around here to make it interesting month after month. I mean, it'd be stupid to have the same three or four bands play every month. Are there enough good bands in Seattle to do it? You can try to book bands from out of town on those nights, too, but that can also be pretty challenging (coordinating the bands' tour schedules with the date). Just something to keep in mind.

• July 20, 2010 4:33 PM CDT
    • I'm moving back to Seattle in a week or so and would be into that big time.

• August 9, 2010 12:15 AM CDT
    • We have quite a few members here from Baltimore (go to Members and search for Baltimore), but you really didn't give 'em too much time to post anything (you posted this on the 5th saying you'd be there the next day... I mean, c'mon). Next time, allow more time! Hope you found something fun to do...

• August 5, 2010 7:26 PM CDT
    • Im going to be in Baltmore MD the 6th and 7th of August and would be interested in some information about the music scene and the good spot to find the music that we are all here for. Any tips suggestions and blah blah would be greatly appreciated, or even someone to show me around town.
      get back at me.

• August 6, 2010 4:24 PM CDT
    • I live in Niles which is just off 94 at Caldwell. I've also got a space with my other band in Bucktown. I can get around and all that. drunkzilla said:

Brandon Reed said:
      I'm also in another band that might be looking for a singer/guitarist.

Brandon Reed said:
      I live in Chicago. And play guitar. Main influences are the NY Johnnys, James Williamson, Steve Jones, and early Pete Townshend/Keith Richards. And I can write songs.
      if so.. i'm available. i'm practicing with someone new (drummer) for the first time this sunday and if that works out you can join us sometime. if your other band needs a second guitar or vocs, i could also do that. what part of chicago you from?

• August 6, 2010 4:29 AM CDT
    • Brandon Reed said:

I'm also in another band that might be looking for a singer/guitarist.

Brandon Reed said:
      I live in Chicago. And play guitar. Main influences are the NY Johnnys, James Williamson, Steve Jones, and early Pete Townshend/Keith Richards. And I can write songs.
      if so.. i'm available. i'm practicing with someone new (drummer) for the first time this sunday and if that works out you can join us sometime. if your other band needs a second guitar or vocs, i could also do that. what part of chicago you from?

• August 5, 2010 12:06 PM CDT
    • I'm also in another band that might be looking for a singer/guitarist. Brandon Reed said:

• August 5, 2010 12:02 PM CDT
    • I live in Chicago. And play guitar. Main influences are the NY Johnnys, James Williamson, Steve Jones, and early Pete Townshend/Keith Richards. And I can write songs.

• July 27, 2010 3:35 PM CDT
    • thanks for the suggestion. i'll check it out

• August 6, 2010 12:12 PM CDT
    • Zone Art Center, the beloved refuge of Western Mass punks and punters during the 1980s, is back! On Saturday September 11, 2010 @ 7 p.m., there will be a massive reunion show at Canal Gallery, 380 Dwight St. in Holyoke, MA,  starring some of the leading lights of the Zone's heyday:

• August 5, 2010 8:20 AM CDT
    • August 15th @ Spaceland, LA. The Spits, The Anomalys, Slab City, Personal & The Pizzas. That's a lot of garage for 1 show!

• August 4, 2010 2:19 PM CDT
    • the gories are playing soon at the echo plex in echo park but aside from that is there anything else going on?

• August 1, 2010 1:08 PM CDT
    • Bop Street did move, but they are right on Market down by the Buffalo Exchange. The new place is nice. Screamin' Danny Dodge said:

bop street records. i dunno fi they've moved yet or not, but look em up. you won't regret it. i use to work there.
      also there's a record show coming up at the seattle center on aug 1st. i'll be there so maybe we'll run into each other.

• July 30, 2010 11:21 PM CDT
    • Are there any details on the fair anywhere? More than anything I want to get earlier 60's 45s from the northwest. Shit, and I need night stuff to do. Any good DJs spinning or bands playing? Would love to catch some of that while I'm here. The listings I find don't tell me enough (well, the band ones probably do on The Stranger). Screamin' Danny Dodge said:

bop street records. i dunno fi they've moved yet or not, but look em up. you won't regret it. i use to work there.
      also there's a record show coming up at the seattle center on aug 1st. i'll be there so maybe we'll run into each other.

• July 30, 2010 2:55 AM CDT
    • bop street records. i dunno fi they've moved yet or not, but look em up. you won't regret it. i use to work there.

• July 30, 2010 2:25 AM CDT
    • Hey Northwesterners, I'm visiting for 6 days starting tomorrow and just wanted to know if anything good was happening and if anyone could let me know a good record store or five.  Thanks a million!

• July 23, 2010 11:38 PM CDT
    • That weekend party was a blast, and the Stompin' Riff Raffs were great. I actually got to see them twice, as my flight out of NYC on the Monday following the weekender got canceled due to poor weather conditions. This was no great tragedy, I merely dropped my stuff off at my friend's place (again) and we went to see them play a free show in Brooklyn. I'll post some photos when I get them off my camera.
      I was also thrilled to see The Trashmen play (something I never thought would happen). I also got heaps of great stuff at the stall that Norton had set up at the event.

• July 21, 2010 8:42 AM CDT
    • Wow, did not know you were a drummer. Drummer's are a valuable commodity in CLT. If you want to ever get together and Jam, the wife and I could likely oblige. We usually play with a sequencer.

• July 21, 2010 8:39 AM CDT
    • True Moves, check out the classifieds in the back of the Creative Loafing. Also you can post there too I think. Might be a good way to hook up with folks who are like minded. There really is a lot going on if you scratch the surface. I just get frustrated sometimes. :D True Moves said:

I'm know here in Charlotte and I'm looking to join or form a garage rock band.

I'm 33 and I have a wife and baby, so I'm not looking to tour the world. I would like to practice regularly, play out around town, write songs and dabble in recording.

Here are samples are my past work:
      www.myspace.com/magiccity
      www.myspace.com/truemoves

Please contact me if you are interested in getting something together.

• July 19, 2010 1:40 PM CDT
    • Damn, I missed your message. Not like me to ever pass up a free beer. Glad you liked it man. SD doesn't completely suck. GPTRASH said:

At the Tower now. Place is BAD ASS!! Owe you a drink..

Count Von Tuthrie said:
      Oh Ya, Check out The Tower Bar for a pint of Oly, or a can of Hamm's. Many a garage band have blasted the walls out of that joint (as did a car once way back in the days). Early '60's b-movies and soft-core on the 12" Zeniths in the corner and a greasy DJ spinnin 45's to FUZZ out to. If that doesn't complete your night, maybe a tattoo from the shop upstairs will...?