Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• June 19, 2012 9:29 PM CDT
    • Great thread, I agree with you Wolfboy Slim, masks add another great dimension to a live show...I see Kiss mentioned, but I think we should draw the line between makeup (especially glam) and masks.

I too, really like, The Mummies and the bandage gimmick cracks me up.

The Mexican wrestling masks worn by, Los Staitjackets and the Dwarves, look brilliant. It must be murder to play in that getup in summer.

The Kings of masked shows around here (Oz) would be T.I.S.M. whose identities have never been revealed behind an unbroken line of diverse and bizarre masks.

However, I'm rather partial to 'Zorro' eye masks, which I think look excellent when worn by 6ts trash bands or Japanese Garage acts like the 5,6,7,8's and the Stompin' RiffRaffs. I think they would be my favourites, (though they're not always masked).

• June 19, 2012 9:09 PM CDT
    • I DID'NT KNOW THE HUDSON BROS. SUBBED AS A METAL BAND IN LATER YEARS.

Torn Down Units said:

• June 19, 2012 9:05 PM CDT
    • You should have seen the hippie granny "singing" this at Dino's Bar Karaoke about two months ago.

swt said:

I'll offer this

• June 19, 2012 9:02 PM CDT

• You're so right. I don't know what happened to her.....She was playing in a very small club once , years ago , and I could'nt get it together to get down there in time.

Go to "Chic A Go Go" on You Tube and see if her performance of "Rock'n'Roll Santa " is up.
      Alan Creed said:

What would be a "worst video contest" without Jan Terri?

• June 19, 2012 8:59 PM CDT
    • HA HA....Well put. The Vodka advertisement is probably better.  Steven Tyler ....aping Alice Cooper ? SAY IT AIN'T SO.  The kid at 1:04 , he's a relatively well known actor , now. He's the guy from "Pecker" by John Waters. I did'nt make it thru the whole thing. Even lifting from The Yardbirds could'nt salvage this song , tho'.

Ghislaine said:

Alice cooper revisted by Disneyland or Starbucks hahahaha

The Ultimatemost High said:

First video that pops to mind is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nqcL0mjMjw&ob=av2e

• June 19, 2012 8:49 PM CDT
    • No , I have'nt seen that , but Dee Dee signed a flyer for me . If I thought I was going to meet him , I would have brought a record. But , he was glad to sign it , illegible scribble and a big cracked coconut smile on his face .

Rev. Norb said:

Have you seen Dee Dee's hand-written lyrics to "Gimme Gimme Shock Treatment" in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame? They are written like a fourth-grader would do it, with his name and the date in large, childlike printing flush left at the top left corner, and the rest underneath it. You get the feeling he never quite moved past the horizontally-blue-lined pieces of paper with the dashed line in the middle for lowercase letters on which kids do assignments in elementary school.

• June 19, 2012 8:46 PM CDT

• That's pretty funny.
       Dalevis said:

According to Dee Dee's book, which I'm sure to some extent is based in reality, he wrote Warthog for his therapist who gave him the assignment of writing a love song. I always liked that song even better after reading that.

• June 19, 2012 11:29 AM CDT
    • Have you seen Dee Dee's hand-written lyrics to "Gimme Gimme Shock Treatment" in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame? They are written like a fourth-grader would do it, with his name and the date in large, childlike printing flush left at the top left corner, and the rest underneath it. You get the feeling he never quite moved past the horizontally-blue-lined pieces of paper with the dashed line in the middle for lowercase letters on which kids do assignments in elementary school.

• June 19, 2012 11:26 AM CDT
    • Word.

• June 19, 2012 8:54 AM CDT
    • According to Dee Dee's book, which I'm sure to some extent is based in reality, he wrote Warthog for his therapist who gave him the assignment of writing a love song. I always liked that song even better after reading that.

• June 18, 2012 10:52 PM CDT
    • Rocco , Yeah , I first saw them on the "Too Tough To Die" tour , but , not because I had'nt tried to see them , earlier. It was a good time to see them , they seemed to have a new lease on life. I always figured the lyrics to "Wart Hog" were'nt transcribed as a joke , since they're almost utterly unintelligible. "Mama's Boy" is still the bomb....or whatever kids say , today.

• June 18, 2012 9:40 PM CDT
    • I saw them on the ''To Tough to Die'' tour,pretty badass.DeeDee had a short spiked hairdoo and they kicked mucho ass.''Wart Hog'' always killed me and the lyric where not on the lyric sheet cuz the record company thoght them to offensive.''Mama's Boy''is fun too...

• June 18, 2012 9:37 PM CDT
    • Wow. This sounds great. They could have released this for all us fan - geeks (Gooba gobba , one of us !) , just clean up a couple of rough edges....Or , not even. But , after "End of The Century" did'nt make it (Well , I don't mean in Europe and Japan. They love American music.) , the band was being further demoralized at every turn. Sire withdrew all promotional items (Barring those little LP size posters that were popular in the late 80's.). Gary Kurfirst was busting their balls because Talking Heads were selling so many more concert shirts than they were ( I have this on a VERY good source , and I'm hardly surprised.), and then there was getting billed below Metallica and Soundgarden on the Lollapalooza tour. Those bands sold more records , but , they both owe a substantial debt to The Ramones. Even Dust , with Marc Bell (Marky Ramone), was beating Metallica to the punch by more than a dozen years , by combining proto - Speed Metal with Spaghetti Western embellishments.  The Ramones seldom had to open for anyone (I saw them open for Iggy , but , I THOUGHT they'd be given equal billing , same set length , same access to sound and lights.) , but , it was pretty clear , Lollapalooza was their last tour , barring the brief stadium tour of Argentina . The three bands could've had equal billing ,if that was the only way to satisfy everybody's ego , AND give the elders their due respect.  

John Battles said:

sOMEONE POINTED THAT OUT , EARLIER. THAT "TOURING" DATES BACK TO THE "PLEASANT DREAMS ERA....JOEY POINTED OUT THAT HE LET A RECORD COMPANY USE THE SONG FOR A GIRL GROUP or Spector OR DOO WOP tribute (I forget which )project , and they changed it to "Doreen" , about a girl who loves to travel. "Doreen , Doreen , she's never boring". Joey was'nt too thriled. But , it's probably the thing that motivated him to release a version by The Ramones.
      Rev. Norb said:

That demo was floating around the internet a few years ago...i had it and it wound up getting deleted. There was a bunch more to it -- songs like "Touring" which didn't see the light of day til "Mondo Bizarro" in 1992 were on there.

Tyler said:

Someone uploaded the pleasant dreams demo in almost its entirety. Nothing new, but it's really cool to listen to it altogether to get an idea of how it could've sounded with some punkier songs, rawer production, and a couple less experimental tunes. Might've been their definite  album ever. (it's missing the demos "kicks to try" and "stars in this town" though that were included on the rhino reissue.)

• June 18, 2012 8:53 PM CDT
    • Thanks for posting this. I forget , which among these tracks I have or have'nt heard.....But , the demos included on the Rhino reissues more than suggest what a monster a lot of these albums could have been , or , a bigger monster than some of them already were

Tyler said:

Someone uploaded the pleasant dreams demo in almost its entirety. Nothing new, but it's really cool to listen to it altogether to get an idea of how it could've sounded with some punkier songs, rawer production, and a couple less experimental tunes. Might've been their definite  album ever. (it's missing the demos "kicks to try" and "stars in this town" though that were included on the rhino reissue.)

• June 18, 2012 8:49 PM CDT

• sOMEONE POINTED THAT OUT , EARLIER. THAT "TOURING" DATES BACK TO THE "PLEASANT DREAMS ERA....JOEY POINTED OUT THAT HE LET A RECORD COMPANY USE THE SONG FOR A GIRL GROUP or Spector OR DOO WOP tribute (I forget which )project , and they changed it to "Doreen" , about a girl who loves to travel. "Doreen , Doreen , she's never boring". Joey was'nt too thriled. But , it's probably the thing that motivated him to release a version by The Ramones.
      Rev. Norb said:

That demo was floating around the internet a few years ago...i had it and it wound up getting deleted. There was a bunch more to it -- songs like "Touring" which didn't see the light of day til "Mondo Bizarro" in 1992 were on there.

Tyler said:

• June 19, 2012 3:02 PM CDT
    • SG hands down. I like a really fat sound

• June 19, 2012 11:06 AM CDT
    • The Trip! June 17th Show! 
      Here it is: http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/381-The_Trip-20120617-0030-t1339889400.mp3

The Setlist:
      THE ZAMBONIS SLAPSHOT MAN
      ... THE ELECTRIC PRUNES GLORIA
      THE SEEDS BAD PART OF TOWN
      THE LAST CENTURY CITY RAG
      THE DOORS LAND HO
      ADAM FAITH BEAT GIRL THEME
      LORD ROCKINGHAM'S XI FRIED ONIONS
      THE SAXONS DRAGGING AROUND
      BILLY THORPE & THE AZTECS POISON IVY
      THE THROBS FORTUNE TELLER
      THE SHANDELLS GO GO GORILLA
      SHANE KAI RAY JUNGLE TALK (I WANT SOME)
      THE DAVID ANOTHER DAY ANOTHER LIFETIME
      FRANK ZAPPA THEME FROM RUN HOME SLOW
      THE BEACH BOYS CAN'T WAIT TOO LONG
      FEAR LOST IN LOS ANGELES
      ARIEL PINKS HAUNTED GRAFFITI TALKING ALL THE TIME
      THE TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA THEME FOR JETSETTERS
      RAY ANTHONY PETER GUNN THEME
      LEROY HOLMES SEARCH FOR VULCAN
      STEREOPHONIC SPACE SOUND UNLIMITED GILERA BABY
      THE BOBBY HAMMACK COMBO POWER HOUSE
      THE TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA CAPTAIN LUSH BLACK BOX RECORDING

• June 19, 2012 9:59 AM CDT
    • Also The Vicious... even more punk

Jon S said:

And Masshysteri is a great punk band.

• June 18, 2012 11:48 PM CDT
    • i MAY HAVE ALREADY SAID SOMETHING HERE.....Younger men , take comfort in knowing the MEMORY is first thing to go.... I'm a writer , "Musician" and sometimes visual artist , based in Chicago. Before that , I lived in Dallas and Arlington (Or Dullass and Arlingfun as we used to say....), Texas. Lived in parts of Illinois prior to that , too. I write and illustrate for Roctober magazine - www.roctober.com   , and worked with Bad Trip , Black To Comm , Psychotronic Video , and others. I've got a piece in the recent Roctober retrospective "Flying Saucers Rock'n'Roll" , and in the Roctober - released or related "A Friendly Game of Poker", "T.V. a Go - Go" , and a book of interviews with Dan Clowes ("Ghost World" , "Eightball" , etc.) . I'VE BEEN PLAYING MUSIC , OFF AND ON , FOR 30 years. BUT , i'VE REMAINED A SOLO ACT WITH JUST A FEW SIDE PROJECTS (Inc. DAS VOLT , FRONTED BY BRYAN McMAHON OF THE ELECTRIC EELS. ) .   You can see my one You Tube video , my version of "Six Days on The Road", at totallybmx (That's not my page , so , show some respect.)......It'll explain why my report card says "Does'nt Play Well With Others".

Oh ! Music .....Rockabilly , Garage , Psych , Country , Blues , Early Hard Rock , R'n'B , Punk , Instrumental Rock , other stuff.

• June 18, 2012 9:58 PM CDT
    • Greetings Earthlings!

Just joined, and I'm enjoying looking around. I'm from Melbourne Australia, and played in bands during the 8s and 9ts, including The Reckers (Psychobilly), Unclean Spirits (garage punk) and the Daredevils (garage punk). Looking forward to kickin' back and enjoying the distortion....1.2.3.4!

• June 18, 2012 10:38 PM CDT
    • The Misfits piece (Which is very good.) reminds me of a Guerilla Interview session between The Late Brad Stiles (Hugh Beaumont Experience , The Eat.) and The late Wendy O. Williams.

Brad: Do you like Texas?

Wendy : Yeah.

Brad: What kind of soup do you like?

Wendy : I dunno.

BRAD: WHAT SORT OF THINGS BELONG IN YOUR BOTTOM?

Wendy: HUH?!!!

The interview , as it were , appeared in an issue of Throbbing Cattle , a xerox zine put out bythe members of Ft. Worth Teen Punks , The Hugh Beaumont Experience. Because they actually WERE teenagers , the zine had a more personal touch , including contributions by my good friend , the Late Keith Kaski. The HBE broke up after recording one amazing Psychedelic track and a funny Funk/Rap spinoff on the cool "Steel Rok Presents" cassette compilation. Drummer Jeff Coffe turned up , as King Vitamin (Already his stage name.),  in The Butthole Surfers , and Stiles RE-EMERGED , years later , with a great funny Hardcore/R'n'B BAND WITH A CONGA PLAYER CALLED THE EAT.  They quickly disapeared , which was too bad. I really wanted to do a show with them. Several years later , still , Stiles commited suicide.

• June 18, 2012 5:25 PM CDT
    • I was on my sojourn through the metroplis when I spotted a tramp selling "The Big Issue". What caught my eye was the cover had a cartoon of Paul Weller, which, being a fan of The Jam, made me take notice. It was a really interesting feature where Weller talks about being a father and how it changed him, as it really was an eye opener on topics like how what happened after Red Wedge and its affect his songwriting, among other things.

• June 18, 2012 10:03 PM CDT
    • I'm glad to know i had a positive influence on someone back then.I remember the first night that we did a long rave up to I'm a man in Keokuk.my fingers were bleeding by the time we loaded equipment and got back in the pictured Madd hearse.I contacted a VERY talented garage band from the Netherlands a couple years back called "The Madd" told them I too was a left handed guitar player in a U.S. band in the early 60's by the same nameI .heard no reply.I'm sure they thought the poster was photoshopped.Odly enough I went on their myspace music site and the logo on the drums and keyboard are almost an exact copy in lettering style that's on the old rusting Madd hearse. LOLNice to be in contact again after half a century Craig.

CRAIG MOORE said:

MADD didn't make a record, to the best of my knowledge they never wrote a song, but they were the ultimate garage cover band. SO good, they knocked us out totally. We were still beginner's in the Pagans. I don't think we had met Rex & Brent yet when we first saw MADD, and I had only been playing bass for a couple of months. Barry the bass player looked like McCartney & played a Gibson EB-1 violin shaped bass left handed. He was amazing as were all of them. I asked him how long it was going to take me to get a handle on bass and he told me "oh about 6 months and you'll start to get it, start to 'hear' things." We were practing & learning songs and listening to records 24/7 of course, and I literally watched the calendar and at that 6 month mark 'viola!' I started hearing octaves and such on the records, started to decipher the 1 from a harmonic note, etc. Still had a LONG way to go but that remark was magic. MADD did "Rain" letter perfect when it was NEW, at a time when most bands could only listen in awe to the record. The organist was Casey Foutz who eventually left Ottumwa with Phil Jones (Enoch Smoky) and were founding members in LA of Crabby Appleton, "Go Back" etc. MADD evolved into THE UPSTAIRS PLAYGROUND in 1968 and got very very psychedelic, California acid drenched, guitarist Mike Sexton was beyond fabulous as a guitarist & vocalist, last time I saw him was 1968 or 1969 and he looked exactly like a taller version of D***ie Peterson (Blue Cheer). He's either a highly paid session musician with a huge ranch in Montana, a rocket scientist, born again, or dead. I have no idea. David Bernstein the drummer was one of the greatest unknown shit kickers you could imagine. We did LSD together once, I think David got a little wierded out by that scene. I heard some vague rumblings about him in the early 70's but never knew where he ended up. I hope he's fine and I hope he never lost his love of music, he was great. But MADD's bass player had a huge impact on me personally, and the band was idolized thoroughly by The Pagans and GONN, and in fact they inspired both the spelling of our name AND the fact that we adamantly enforced the "no 'THE'" rule, as did MADD. The fact that we had our own hearse was as close as we could get to being as cool as MADD, in our minds. Until we made a record, anyway.  I saw this hearse ad about 6 months or so ago and sent it out to Phil Jones just as a reminder of the good old days back here in the midwest.  I saw Casey back in Ottumwa about 1983 when my band Ready Steady Go was playing a club there. He had been playing with Pacific Gas & Electric in LA and had a heart attack, moved back to the home town to recuperate and get his head together. It was great to see him, he always reminded me of Gene Clark, but he seemed pretty down and not very happy. I was pleased that he remembered me and the band and all the times we hung out with them. Not too long after that I heard he had another heart attack and died. Very sad. So all you fans of records by GONN, you need to say a 'hail Mary' for Casey and never forget there was a band called MADD that maybe didn't make a record but their impact is with you still, every time you hear GONN or hear another story of the Iowa scene 1965-1968. There were the ultimate Iowa garage band. 

• June 18, 2012 9:43 PM CDT
    • Playlist for 6/18/12.  Streaming and archived at www.wmse.org.  Bands:  If you'd like to submit music to WMSE, contact me or snailmail to our address which is included on the radio station master list in this group.

Throw It Away - Joe Jackson

On The Lift/Fake News - The Oops

Concerned Citizen/Your Problem - The Consumers

Sock In My Mouth - Cheeseburger

Yeah Yeah Yeah - Teengenerate

Beneath The Shadows - TSOL

Borrow & Bomb/Toxic Box - Off!

Young & Bored - Wasted Youth

Du Solftest Schwingen - The Moo-Rat Fingers

Don't Stop Partying - The Mean Jeans

Watcha Gonna Do About It - One Man Show Live

On Target - The Skulls

Punk Rock Girls - The Snazzy Boys

Beat You Up - The Spits

Teach Me To Kill - Gas Huffer

Cheap Beer, Fast Cars & Girls - The Spites

Ya Ha Be Be - The Happy Kids

Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA - Devo (Live 1981 Seattle)

Gates of Steel - Snapcase

Take My Time - Cococoma

It's My Pride - The Evaporators

Dead End America - The Pagans

Rock-n-Roll Show - The Bobbyteens

Victim 29 on Highway 45 - Texas Motherf***ers

Revhead - The Scientists

Building Z - Guitar Wolf

Howlin' for You - The Compulsions

LOCAL SIZZLER: Do You Know What I'm Doin' ? - Ramma Lamma

Story of Love - The Saints

The Future Is Now...(and it stinks!) - JJ and the Real Jerks

Hot Sody - The Screamin' Mee Mees

Shut Up! - The Fall

Bow Legged Woman - Feast of Snakes

Staring Into Midnite - Zen Guerilla

Real Cool Time - The Stooges

I'm Your Man - The Mashers

Stuck On You - The Jade Idol

Blue Surf - The Patents

Fuzz Face - El Sicko

Rat Fink/Don't Tread On Me - The Mono Men

Help You Ann - The Lyres

Temptation Inside Your Heart - Velvet Underground

Guess I'm Falling In Love - The Diaboliks

Bustin' Outta Tights - The Beguiled

Scatter - Link Wray

Private Idaho - Chum

Caveman - The Cramps

Louie Go Home - A-Bones

Get Out of My World - Sugar Shack

Bird Bath - Los Shains

You Outta Know By Now - The Gentleman Callers

• June 18, 2012 8:41 PM CDT
    • Stream or download the entire June 15 show right here.

Alcatraz – The Hayseeders
      Escape – Herbie Duncan
      She’s My Alcatraz – Mr. T. Experience
      No Escape – Thee Headcoats
      Great Escape – The Forty-Fives
      Goodnight, Alcatraz – Roy Loney & the Phantom Movers

Hear You Talking – Beverly Jones with the Prestons
      Little Ann – Johnny Knight
      Bad Neighborhood – Ronnie & the Delinquents
      Why Ain’t Bo on My TV? – Hipbone Slim & the Kneetremblers
      Walk Through that Door – The Satelliters

Ghost Train – Creeping Ivies