Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 21, 2012 9:59 PM CDT
    • Dictators "Two Tub Man" - "They all know that I'm the one , not to let your son become."

"They all know that I'm the one , knocks 'em dead til Sunday comes"

Years ago , some Rock Writer (I forget , but James Porter remembers, who.) said "As the Dictators put it , "Playing in a heavy band gets humongous." , when the line was "Playing in a heavy band , guess I'm just...I GUESS I'M JUST ...I GUESS I'M JUST A ...TWO TUB MAN !!!!!". Don't get me wrong , I'm not to trump paid Rock Critics....Just because I told Greg Kot that Roky Erickson's 2005 Chicago debut was just that , the first time he'd ever played here.

• April 21, 2012 9:48 PM CDT
    • Just got back from RSD. Did'nt buy any of the "Premiums" ($12 for new 45s of material I already have is kind of pushing it , but , that's how I ride....Right into a ditch.). Was going to get the Lee Hazelwood 2 LP set , but the store was jam - packed , and the line was ridiculous. So , I went to the less popular stores my friends own ( The owner at the other store is a very cool guy , too.). I found the Kenny and The Kasuals Komp on some Greek label , and I was sure glad to. I know I kvetched and moaned about the serious dearth of their material (Barring the CRAP EVA Records comps I've had to settle for , for 25 - plus years.).

• April 21, 2012 8:21 PM CDT
    • He was up there with the shadows and joe meek!

Some say they learned from his play in A Day book.

You got any Bert!

Weed On!

RIP

• April 21, 2012 1:38 PM CDT
    • Well said......

• April 20, 2012 6:54 PM CDT
    • His 'Play in a Day' books sold over 1 million copies. He will be missed!

I have been collecting Bert Weedon 7'' records over the past year after 1st hearing his talented pluckings on British Instrumental compilations. I am gutted he has passed away. He had a good innings though. 91 years is not bad. There are a sadly only a few videos of him on Youtube. Tonight I got out my British Instro 45 box and played a few faves. John Barry 7, Sounds Incorporated, The Tornados, and the twangy,corny, marvelous sound of Bert Weedon OBE. With a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat, I bid thee farewell.

• April 21, 2012 2:48 PM CDT
    • The topic is definitely a missing link in Rock'n Roll's history and it reveals so many experimental styles that may have given birth to, and influenced later bands.  I am surprised that some major rock bands do not endorse or propose a project like this.

Jersey City Mods said:

Would love to see a "Beatles Anthology" type production, taking as many hours as necessary to cover the subject with interviews, clips and roundtable discussions.  The problem is, who would have final say as to what gets included and what is cut?  How about a collaboration between Martin Scorsese and Bill Kelly?  Ah, if only we'd won the Powerball...

• April 21, 2012 9:03 AM CDT
    • I've been using TuneCore to digitally distribute my stuff, but I'm not that crazy about it because it's pretty costly ($49.99 per year per release). While they do get your release in a lot of different stores, I often can't afford to renew the distribution on a particular album because it simply doesn't sell enough copies to cover this cost. If the album isn't selling enough to pay for itself, then what's the point of having it in the stores? So I always make sure that I keep enough money in my TuneCore balance to pay for future distro renewals. 

Then, recently, someone told me about CD Baby and how they only charge a one-time fee. I haven't had time to look into CD Baby any further, but I was hoping someone here could tell me more about it. What are the advantages (if any) over TuneCore? I guess one obvious advantage is your release will be available in the CD Baby online store (TuneCore doesn't have anything like this), but I do like TuneCore's flash media player that you can see on each of the Hideout Comp pages, like this one.

I'm not crazy about the idea of having to switch from one service to the other. For one thing, I'm pretty sure that all reviews and ratings on any of the existing sites for my releases will be lost, since TuneCore would first have to take my release down from those sites before I could redistribute it there via CD Baby (basically a new listing for the album would have to be created). Am I right?

Anyway, please post below your thoughts on this. Or maybe there's another service out there better than either of these that I'm unfamiliar with that we should know about, too.

Thanks!

• April 21, 2012 8:12 AM CDT
    • On Saturday April 21st, I'll be back on the radio after a four week absence. As usual, there will be loads of new (and a few old) punk and garage tunes. You can listen on 89.7 WITR-FM in Rochester, NY or streaming live at http://witr.rit.edu from 1:00-3:00PM EST.

• April 20, 2012 12:14 PM CDT
    • The Strawberry Alarm Clock were also in Beyond the Valley of the Dolls

Party scene w/Strawberry Alarm Clock

SarahJayne said:

The Stalin, Roosters, and Rockers (Japanese punk bands) - Burst City

The Strawberry Alarm Clock - Psych Out

• April 21, 2012 12:58 AM CDT
    • Show #370: "The Eggman Collection #112" playlist:

Flower Travellin' Band - "Satori Part 1"
      Val McKenna - "I Can't Believe What You Say"
      The Pretty Things - "Defecting Grey [uncut version]"
      The Kinks - "Celluloid Heroes"
      Kevin Ayers - "The Lady Rachel"
      The Alarm Clocks - "Yeah"
      The Moles - "We Are The Moles (Part 1)"
      The New Breed - "She's A Woman"
      Flat Earth Society - "Feelin' Much Better"
      Le Orme - "Figure Di Cartone"
      The Kinks - "Waterloo Sunset"
      Badfinger - "No Matter What"
      Otis Redding - "That's How Strong My Love Is"
      Q65 - "Fighting Is Easy"
      Eyes Of Blue - "Merry-Go-Round"
      Harvey Mandel - "Wade In The Water"
      Principal Edwards Magic Theatre - "Sacrifice"
      The Mirage - "Tomorrow Never Knows"
      Egg - "Fugue In D Minor"
      The Ugly Ducklings - "I Know What To Say"
      Kaleidoscope - "Dive Into Yesterday"
      Dawn - "Girl I Know"
      The Who - "I've Been Away"
      Los Gatos Negros - "Maria Lola"
      Amon Duul II - "Wir Wollen/Wilhelm Wilhelm/SM II Peng"
      Euphoria - "In Time"
      Tommy Roe - "Sheila"
      The Ventures - "High And Dry"
      The Deviants - "Let's Drink To The People"
      James Brown & The Famous Flames - "There Was A Time"
      Spirit - "I Got A Line On You"
      Suspension Of Belief - "LSD"
      Buffalo - "Sunrise (Come My Way)"
      Magma - "De Futura"

Click here to stream this show now: http://eggmanrulez.com/m3u/370.m3u
      or to download: http://eggmanrulez.com/streams/370.mp3

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Egg

• April 20, 2012 1:16 PM CDT
    • Show #370: "The Eggman Collection #112"

Every 3 weeks I do a series of shows called The Eggman Collection which is a big potpourri of every song I've ever liked in my life...EVER! It's literally a huge mixing bowl full of songs written onto tiny pieces of paper. Over 15,000 songs that I've been compiling for the past 20-plus years of my life. Every song I've ever liked has gone into this bowl, and every three weeks I draw them out one-by-one and play them for you in no particular order. A mix of everything and anything I like, no matter what genre, era, style or year of release...if I like it, then I'll play it! No repeats of the same song ever! Tune in tonight (Friday) at 10pm EST for the 112th installment of The Eggman Collection and hear bands and artists like: Flower Travellin' Band, The Pretty Things, The Kinks, Kevin Ayers, The Moles, Flat Earth Society, Le Orme, Badfinger, Q65, Eyes Of Blue, Principal Edwards Magic Theatre, Egg, Kaleidoscope, The Who, Amon Duul II, The Deviants, Spirit, Buffalo, Magma, and many others!!!

***To stream The Metaphysical Circus live via the web click this link: http://portsmouthcommunityradio.org/listen ... to listen to past shows, view playlists and more, fan the show on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Metap ... 50?sk=wall … or check out my website (to be updated someday): http://eggmanrulez.com/
      Live every Friday night at 10pm to 1am EST on WSCA-LP 106.1 FM, Portsmouth Community Radio!

Watch my playlist unravel before your eyes LIVE here: http://wscafm.radioactivity.fm/

Egg

• April 20, 2012 7:34 PM CDT
    • Thanx for playing The Mongrels!!! Have fun at the show tonite!!!

• April 20, 2012 3:15 PM CDT
    • This week's program marked the 400th episode of Revolution Rock on CJAM 99.1 FM.  The show featured several songs by Alex Chilton from his 1979 release Like Flies On Sherbert, but also it had music from The Reply, Light Bulb Alley, Devo, Queens of the Stone Age, X, Elvis Costello and more!

Download the podcast here: http://cjamlog1.cjam.ca/mp3dirnew/36-Revolution_Rock-20120417-1030-t1334655001.mp3

Blog post on Like Flies On Sherbert here: http://revrock.blogspot.ca/2012/04/like-flies-on-sherbert-show-400.html

The Play List:

1.  Light Bulb Alley – Pepper Spray

2.  The Reply – Memphis Train

3.  The Movements – She Said

4.  Red Light Driver – Celeste Celeste

5.  Arctic Monkeys – The Blond-O-Sonic Shimmer Trap

6.  Result - Suburban Addicts

7.  The Primmers – Funny Stories

8.  The Spelling Mistakes – Feel So Good

9.  Devo – Space Junk

10. Dot Dash – Learn How To Fly

11. Brazilian Money – Lost All Sense of Time

12. Alex Chilton – My Rival

13. Alex Chilton – Rock Hard

14. Queens of The Stone Age – Outlaw Blues

15. Johnny Cash & The Avett Brothers – One Too Many Mornings

16. Indian Wars – Sitting On The Steps

17. The Mongrels – Play My Guitar

18. Cold Warps – Hole In My Head

19. X – Your Phones Off The Hook, But You’re Not

20. Simply Saucer – Bullet Proof Nothing

21. Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Night Rally

22. Alex Chilton – Hey Little Child

23. Alex Chilton – Waltz Across Texas

• April 20, 2012 7:32 PM CDT
    • Playlist April 19/2012

This show goes out to Dick Clark who passed away the day prior to this edition, and Levon Helm who passed away mere hours before airtime...Levon played many shows here in London Ontario back in the late 50's as part of Ronnie Hawkins Band.

1. The Dictators...Who Will Save Rock'n'Roll?...from the DFFD LP, last studio LP by The Dictators. To answer the question, not me, that's for damn sure cause i sure wish they never taught the band to play Sgt Pepper. The Dictators played London Ontario on Saturday June 1, 2002 to about 50 strong. Manitoba (most of The Dictators) play London tonite.

2. The Martinets...I Don't Follow...from the CD love!hate! which features Daniel Rey on guitar and vocals. He's also in Manitoba for tonight's show. Check your Ramones LP's to see his name in the credits.

3. Manitoba...Haircut And An Attitude...from the ...And You? CD 1990 MCA Records.

4. The Dictators...Cars and Girls...from the 1975 LP Go Girl Crazy! One of my fave Dictators tunes and this used to be covered by local hipsters, The Boy From Nowhere.

5. Legend Killers...Had It Comin'...from the We're Workin' On It CD from 2006. A cover of a Manitoba song done by the only band that has appeared on every What Wave compilation cassette and record...think that's 13 releases not including the above CD and the Better Than Hammerin' 7".

6. 63 Monroe....Bad Bad Rock'n'Roll...from their latest 7" and they are opening for Manitoba.

7. Nihilst Spasm Band...This Is A Test...from their CD with the title made up of funny characters. Local noise troupe that has been playing since the mid 60's and are literally big in Japan!! It's a great song to segue into a live tune....

8. catl...Thunderbird ESQ...recorded live at Call The Office 3/16/2012....a cover of a Gories tune done for me. catl return to Call The Office May 12th, a show you don't want to miss.

9. The Hook Up...Burnin'...latest demo from this Montreal trio who are moving out west shortly. Drummer Josh Peters is leaving the band as he's getting hitched soon..here's Josh in his own words:
      Hey Dave,

So with Dave and Jaime leaving for Saskatoon in June, and my wedding in June, I played my last show with The Hook Up tonight. It was excellent, and possibly our best sounding show in Montreal, ever, period.

I just wanted to tell you that the only reason we ever went anywhere, as far as I'm concerned, is because you vouched for us, pushed us and encouraged us, broadcast us, and recorded us. I've had a great time, and played nothing but excellent shows (really!), even if the money wasn't good and the crowds were sparse sometimes. I always had a great time on stage with The Hook Up, and you're the reason we ever got out of our jam space and on the road.

So thank you!

As for me, I'm getting married, and then I'm looking for another band to terrorize. Maybe I'll see you in London at a show!

Best, and thanks again!

Josh Peters

Me again....Thanx Josh....you can't see me, but i'm blushing...and had a BLAST everytime The Hook Up came to London, Ontario!!!

10. The Fleshtones...American Beat 84...from the 12" of the same name and The Fleshtones name check scads of US based combos who are not only influential, but have played on Dick Clark's Bandstand as this is the start of our little tribute to the world's oldest teenager! And yes, The Fleshtones did play on American Bandstand!

11. The Beat...Rock'n'Roll Girl...from the 1979 LP The Beat. When Paul Collins played London back in 2009 as part of our Evening of PowerPop show at Moon Over Marin, Paul said that playing on American Bandstand was his career highlight!! And he mentioned how great Dick Clark was to the band interviewing them live on TV!

12. Freddy Cannon...Tallahassee Lassie...from the Explosive! LP. Another frequent guest on American Bandstand many years ago. We did get to see Freddy Cannon in the mid 80's doing a show at the Western Fair here in London and he was fantastic!! Opened up for Chubby Checker whom we walked out on as Freddy was SO much better!!

13. Light Bulb Alley...Pepper Spray...from the brand new Garagepunk Hideout Compilation CD, We Love Trash. And Light Bulb Alley will be in town on saturday night at Brennan's Beer Bistro here in town as part of our big show!

14. LIght Bulb Alley...Who Do You Love?...from the Sound Of Things CD on Ricochet Sound, same label as The Gruesomes, and it came out last year.

15. Weirdonia...I Like Rumble Fish...from their latest CD, Freak. Weirdonia will be in London on saturday for 2 shows, 4PM at Grooves Records as part of Record Store Day and then later in the evening at Brennan's.

16. Weirdonia...Nymphocondriac...as above. Weirdonia are a young 2 piece outta Windsor, Ontario who put on great live shows!

17. The Reply....I Must Stop...brand new demo from this Toronto soul/mod/garage combo who are also playing at Brennan's tomorrow night. It's gonna be a great show!!

18. The Reply...Memphis Train....as above.

19. The Reply....I'm A Man...recorded live at Brennan's 11/5/2011, their 2nd show ever! See picture below...

20. Teenanger...Cheap Thrills...from their latest LP, Frights.

21. Evil Eyes...Honey Please...from the brand new Garagepunk Hideout Compilation CD, We Love Trash....Leather Upper Craig is on the skins.

22. The Living Deadbeats...Erik...from their soon to be released 12". Living Deadbeats are doing a cross Canada tour this July.

23. Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners...The Sinister Urge...from the Hot'n'Cold LP. Another segue, this time into....

24. Florida Razors...New York Screamin'...from the Half A Rock'n'Roll Record 12' which is exactly that, one side has songs, the other, etchings. Florida Razors were an early 80's to late 80's Hamilton Ontario based rock'n'roll combo who leaned in the Stones/Flamin' Groovies direction. Leader Tom Wilson has since been in Junkhouse, Blackie and The Rodeo Kings, Lee Harvey Osmond and solo since these days, and always puts on an entertaining and sweaty show! Check your early What Wave zines for interviews/articles on Florida Razors.

25. Florida Razors...She Like To Dance...from the Beat Music LP. Played the Florida Razors as they seem to have been forgotten and certainly don't deserve to be. They were a great, no, make that GREAT rock'n'roll combo that constantly toured across the province delivering the rock'n'rol message to the masses!

26. Radio 4...I Don't Wanna Go To New York City....early 80's demo by this London based combo and we had to cut it short for In The Red which follows us here on CHRW....2.5 hours of rock'n'roll!!

Saturday Apr 21st...Brennan's Beer Bistro has Light Bulb Alley (Montreal), The Reply (Toronto), Weirdonia (WIndsor) and the debut of Hamilton's The noble Savages!! See ya at this show, might even be someone's birthday bash!!

Next week on Radio What Wave, Apr 26th marks the 47th anniversary of The Rolling Stones playing their only show here in London Ontario. It took place at the Treasure Island Gardens (later named London Gardens, then The Ice House and now it is a velodrome) which is way down in the south end of London, past the end of public transit routes. And what was so special about this show, it's the ONLY Rolling Stones show that never finished due to a riot!!! Yep, sleepy London teenagers went berserk when Brian gave them the grin through his perfect blonde bowl!!! So we're gonna play the full Rolling Stones set from that show....all 6 or 7 songs before the riot ended the show. Apr 26 1965.

Here's the link to listen to the archived show:

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1800.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1830.mp3

http://chrwradio.com/podcasts/94-9CHRWThu1900.mp3

• April 20, 2012 3:56 PM CDT
    • That's right, "How Not To Be Seen!"

• April 20, 2012 3:48 PM CDT
    • The "How Not to be Seen" sketch and the whole band was hiding in crates.

Rev. Norb said:

I dunno, but it was a crate singing it...or a guy hiding in a crate singing it.

• April 20, 2012 3:43 PM CDT
    • I dunno, but it was a crate singing it...or a guy hiding in a crate singing it.

• April 20, 2012 3:26 PM CDT
    • "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy" was featured in a Monty Python sketch, which one was it?
       It's been a while since I saw it.
      Rev. Norb said:

Not surprisingly, i endorse bubblegum music. I was fortunate/unfortunate enough to have been 3 or 4 when the bubblegum counterrevolution hit at the end of the sixties, and two of my favorite songs of all time to this day are "Yummy Yummy Yummy" and "Chewy Chewy." Huzzah!

• April 20, 2012 2:58 PM CDT
    • No, we'd prefer them to be an hour. Two hours is too long for a podcast.

Caveman said:

Hello is it necessary that podcast have one hour long ? Two hours is possible ?