Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• April 23, 2012 8:32 AM CDT
    • Hey Mel:

Lots of pics coming soon....a couple are up on facebook now. Check out the brand new combo The noble Savages.....textbook 60's garagepunk on speed.

Audio coming soon too...so many things to do, so many songs to listen to, so much fun to have!!!!!

• April 22, 2012 11:39 PM CDT
    • Hey What? Wave? dave... dunnit sound like London, Ontario was all that sleepy last night! Wish I coulda been there to celebrate with ya and all the GPH+ gpgeeks. Any photos to share of the night? We gotta live vicariously, well some of us anyway!

• April 22, 2012 2:59 PM CDT
    • It's boards like this that enable all us outcasts to get together and let loose every now and again. Last night we put on a show here in sleepy London Ontario Canada. All 4 of the bands involved have some presence right here (2 have been on garagepunk hideout compilations), as do many of the members of these bands. And a couple other people saw the event posting here on garagepunk hideout and came to the event because of that, (neither are facebook members so this is the only place they could have found out about the show). It wasn't a hugely attended show, but it was the quality of the crowd over the quantity!! And a ROCKIN' good time was had by all, whether garagepunk hideout members or not!!

And because of all the plugs/mentions for garagepunk hideout, there might just be a few more members to this board!

Thank You Kopper, for getting us outcasts together in the real world!!

• April 23, 2012 8:29 AM CDT
    • James: That sums up exactly what i've been seeing on RSD....now if these same people came out to our 2X yearly record shows (and more often to the record stores, once a year is not enough) they might start looking for some of the same gems we are!! And start digging some of the crazy shit that's right here on the Hideout!!!

James Porter said:

John, that's the thing right there. The person who only goes record shopping only once a year is only going to want the obvious - Dylan, Stones, Beatles, etc. Everytime I hear a non-collector flip out over vinyl, it's never the rarities we're into, it's more like the dollar-bin staples we bought long ago. These RSD releases are aimed at that person - the one who finds a copy of the Byrds' Mr. Tambourine Man and thinks they've got an honest-to-goodness collector's item that no one else has.

John Battles said:

Well , there's the irony . Even in the "Ma and Pa" stores , you see ALL these people that never go record shopping EXCEPT on Record Store Day , or 4 or 5 times a year to our once a week. I don't understand why a label like Sundazed can't cough up some rarities ( I guess there were a couple), if they're going to charge the price of an LP (or more) for a single that may , in itself , be exclusive , but not the material

• April 23, 2012 2:42 AM CDT
    • Careful with that 45 -- just saw it listed for 45 Euros online (close to $60 US) ... First day I heard the A side of that I played it a ridiculous number of times... In fact, I think I'll play it again now... Thanks to the magic of Kopper's Hideout, I can do just that...

Mel, dreaming of what an entire LP of Waugh's guitar would have sounded like. Crayyyyzeeee maaaaaaaaaan. Anybody else on the GPH who hasn't heard that track... well... when you do, turn it up REALLY LOUD. m

• April 23, 2012 1:14 AM CDT
    • Yep, Melissa, that's the one I was talking about.

Waugh was supposed to have an album on Vanguard (titled You Better Believe It) but it never came out, even though it was advertised on Vanguard inner sleeves...too bad, because Waugh would have been an excellent addition to that comp of Vanguard's late sixties rock bands that was released on last year's RSD...

• April 23, 2012 1:12 AM CDT

• John, that's the thing right there. The person who only goes record shopping only once a year is only going to want the obvious - Dylan, Stones, Beatles, etc. Everytime I hear a non-collector flip out over vinyl, it's never the rarities we're into, it's more like the dollar-bin staples we bought long ago. These RSD releases are aimed at that person - the one who finds a copy of the Byrds' Mr. Tambourine Man and thinks they've got an honest-to-goodness collector's item that no one else has.

John Battles said:

Well , there's the irony . Even in the "Ma and Pa" stores , you see ALL these people that never go record shopping EXCEPT on Record Store Day , or 4 or 5 times a year to our once a week. I don't understand why a label like Sundazed can't cough up some rarities ( I guess there were a couple), if they're going to charge the price of an LP (or more) for a single that may , in itself , be exclusive , but not the material

• April 22, 2012 11:36 PM CDT
    • James: NARCE find -- I do so love that... (it's on my playlist/profile) :D

This is the one you refer to?

That guitar on "You Better Believe It" drives me crayyyyzeeee. And you know who's fault that is...

• April 22, 2012 11:06 PM CDT
    • Record Store Day?
      Well, I bought several old 45s, and one of them was Donny B. Waugh's primal 1969 single on United Artists, "You Better Believe It" b/w "C'mon Everybody." John Battles knows the score. PARTY TIME!!!

Now THAT'S a record Sundazed should reissue!

• April 22, 2012 10:06 PM CDT
    • Well , there's the irony . Even in the "Ma and Pa" stores , you see ALL these people that never go record shopping EXCEPT on Record Store Day , or 4 or 5 times a year to our once a week. I don't understand why a label like Sundazed can't cough up some rarities ( I guess there were a couple), if they're going to charge the price of an LP (or more) for a single that may , in itself , be exclusive , but not the material...I had a better time shopping in the  stores that were half - empty. People would come in , and leave , immediately , if they were told the store was'nt carrying RSD items. One of my locals is STILL trying to get rid of RSD stuff dating two years back , at 1/2 price , and I mean GOOD records ,  in most cases.

whatwave dave said:

Ken:

I think you're right on about this...it's all about these overpriced Record Store Day Specials....limited edition, overpriced, a lot of mainstream acts, re-issues, the trendy indie act of the day etc... An overabundance of records. To me, it looks like a cash grab by certain record labels, to sell stuff that would collect dust if it was released at any other time.

It's supposed to be about the indy record stores, the ones that sell the local singles, the hard to find imports, the re-issues, the garagepunk releases, the unauthorized live records, the used stuff, etc etc...The place where they know your name when you walk in the door and say something along the lines of 'we just got this stack of records in, and there's a couple that you probably want if you don't have them already'. The place where you never have enough coin to get everything you want, but you know it'll probably still be there next visit. The place where you bring your out of town buds who find something they've been looking for ages and get totally stoked! That's the place! And i sure don't need RSD Specials to visit, it's just extra clutter that gets in the way of what i'm looking for! And besides, i can't justify spending well over $10 (some were as high as $16!!) for a 7" of material i already have in a different form.

And no, i didn't buy any of the specials, dug through the singles boxes and found a half dozen or so that i'm spinning now and really digging!

Ken said:

That said...  and speaking as a former record store owner... I think Record Store Day has become kinda flawed.  The basic idea that there should be an appreciation day for these great local shops is a good one, but right now its primarily focused on the RSD specific goodies as the impetus for getting folks into the shop.  The good record stores for that day have become synonymous with the ones that can lay their hands on the most goodies.  (To be subsequently run up on ebay the next day to capitalize on their "scarcity.")

• April 22, 2012 9:57 PM CDT
    • You scored. Sounds like you got more for free than you might have for $100 on RSD. Just sayin'.

Jersey City Mods said:

We had to miss out on RSD due to work, but part of the job this day was picking the bones of a video store in Greenwich Village that lost its lease.  Long story, but they called us.  We picked up a lot of classic films on DVD for our respective work libraries, but we also managed to get some for our own personal library.  "Privilege", the British version of "Wild in the Streets" with Paul Jones from Manfred Mann. The Slade movie, "Slade in Flame". A non-bootleg version of "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Fabulous Stains" and, best of all, the first season of the Britcom "Hippies", loosely based on the young Richard Branson's revolutionary days prior to establishing Virgin Records. It's a PAL-to-NTSC conversion, but it looks great.

We'll go record shopping next week-end when it isn't so crowded.

• April 22, 2012 6:10 PM CDT
    • Ken:

I think you're right on about this...it's all about these overpriced Record Store Day Specials....limited edition, overpriced, a lot of mainstream acts, re-issues, the trendy indie act of the day etc... An overabundance of records. To me, it looks like a cash grab by certain record labels, to sell stuff that would collect dust if it was released at any other time.

It's supposed to be about the indy record stores, the ones that sell the local singles, the hard to find imports, the re-issues, the garagepunk releases, the unauthorized live records, the used stuff, etc etc...The place where they know your name when you walk in the door and say something along the lines of 'we just got this stack of records in, and there's a couple that you probably want if you don't have them already'. The place where you never have enough coin to get everything you want, but you know it'll probably still be there next visit. The place where you bring your out of town buds who find something they've been looking for ages and get totally stoked! That's the place! And i sure don't need RSD Specials to visit, it's just extra clutter that gets in the way of what i'm looking for! And besides, i can't justify spending well over $10 (some were as high as $16!!) for a 7" of material i already have in a different form.

And no, i didn't buy any of the specials, dug through the singles boxes and found a half dozen or so that i'm spinning now and really digging!

Ken said:

That said...  and speaking as a former record store owner... I think Record Store Day has become kinda flawed.  The basic idea that there should be an appreciation day for these great local shops is a good one, but right now its primarily focused on the RSD specific goodies as the impetus for getting folks into the shop.  The good record stores for that day have become synonymous with the ones that can lay their hands on the most goodies.  (To be subsequently run up on ebay the next day to capitalize on their "scarcity.")

• April 22, 2012 3:06 PM CDT
    • We had to miss out on RSD due to work, but part of the job this day was picking the bones of a video store in Greenwich Village that lost its lease.  Long story, but they called us.  We picked up a lot of classic films on DVD for our respective work libraries, but we also managed to get some for our own personal library.  "Privilege", the British version of "Wild in the Streets" with Paul Jones from Manfred Mann. The Slade movie, "Slade in Flame". A non-bootleg version of "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Fabulous Stains" and, best of all, the first season of the Britcom "Hippies", loosely based on the young Richard Branson's revolutionary days prior to establishing Virgin Records. It's a PAL-to-NTSC conversion, but it looks great.

We'll go record shopping next week-end when it isn't so crowded.

• April 22, 2012 10:36 AM CDT
    • I didn't end up getting any RSD exclusives, but I did end up with a few 7"s I've wanted. Two from local Winnipeg bands Up'n'Atom (a hardcore punk kinda band) and The Vibrating Beds (great garage band in the vein of The Detroit Cobras).

We had a bit of a setback in the complete burning/ gutting of one of our beloved indie record stores War On Music two days before RSD. Sad times.

• April 22, 2012 11:46 PM CDT
    • I always used to think the song THANK YOU by Barry and the Remains said: " I want to thank you for giving me everykind of lovin'..this whole world."  Instead of .."Every kind of lovin' that I know."

• April 22, 2012 7:15 PM CDT
    • thanks for the big-up on this. anthony from tunnel of love and paul from the apes have a new band called the psyched, and their debut lp will be out on black gladiator on may 29th!

http://slovenly.bandcamp.com/album/the-psyched-self-titled-lp

Plasms said:

Tunnel of Love on Black Gladiator Records is pretty damn good and pretty damn gnarly. Recorded on a way-too-far-in-the-red cassette 4-track.

• April 22, 2012 3:18 PM CDT
    • OK , I also remember The Beatles , but "Yummy Yummy Yummy" was THE CUT , as the hip flipster kiddies say , today.   I took to "Little Willy" a few years later , because it sounded like a Kasenetz - Katz CREATION TO ME AT THE TIME.....Not knowing The Sweet had already gone thru Bubble Gum , and the material on their (US) first LP actually shocked DJs and critics with how far they'd come from Bubble Gum...and would , still.

John Battles said:

me , too !

doornail said:

Yummy, Yummy, Yummy I got love in my tummy for Bubblegum Music. The first music I remember as a wee lad.  

• April 22, 2012 3:14 PM CDT
    • I have a copy of it , but , have'nt seen it in a while....It's supposed to be a TV show , and the crate part is probably correct , bu t, not ingrained in my memory....The camera just pans in and out at ....no one. YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY....It was'nt a very old song , yet , then. theirs was a studio re-recording . Not bad , at that. Look up "Do Not Adjust Your Set" with Eric Idle and The Bonzo Dog Band doing "Captain Fantastic" with extras dressed as Batman , Superman , etc.

Chris Henniker said:

"Yummy, Yummy, Yummy" was featured in a Monty Python sketch, which one was it?
       It's been a while since I saw it.
      Rev. Norb said:

Not surprisingly, i endorse bubblegum music. I was fortunate/unfortunate enough to have been 3 or 4 when the bubblegum counterrevolution hit at the end of the sixties, and two of my favorite songs of all time to this day are "Yummy Yummy Yummy" and "Chewy Chewy." Huzzah!

• April 22, 2012 3:10 PM CDT
    • me , too !

doornail said:

Yummy, Yummy, Yummy I got love in my tummy for Bubblegum Music. The first music I remember as a wee lad.  

• April 22, 2012 11:44 AM CDT
    • Hi all. Tonto and the Renegades and 2 of our songs are up for induction into Michigan Legendary Rock Songs and the band into the Michigan Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The voting is going into the final stages and we need your votes. At this time, we are 4th in votes for induction into the HOF, and our 2 songs are in 4th spot in the Legenday Songs side of the process. This year the voting process is quick, easy and automated. Anyway, I would really appreciate if you would please take a minute and go vote for us and our 2 songs. To vote go to: michiganrockandrolllegends.com, read the voting instructions and click the "vote" button. Please help us achieve a life long dream. Won't you please help us out and vote for us. What else you got to do on this fine Sunday. Thank you all.

• April 22, 2012 11:30 AM CDT
    • Kopper, I assume everyone here is talking about a movie type documentary and you're right, it would be an incredibly difficult undertaking. But, there is currently a new one called Teen-A-Go-Go. It's pretty good, but focuses mainly on the music scene in the 60's around the Dallas/Fort Worth area. And, in the near future, Mike Markesich will release his book "Teen Beat Mayhem." This book is something everyone and anyone into music will have to have in there library. Can you tell the folks on here a little about the book? Or, is the book way off topic?

• April 22, 2012 11:21 AM CDT
    • Brussels: Butcher Boogie, Ginette et ses Flying Fishsticks, thee Skeptics, les Terrils, Runnin' Wild and us Nervous Shakes! In Antwerpen there's de Bossen, Hara Kiri and Blackie and the oohoos (dreamy Nancy Sinatra influenced music)

• April 22, 2012 9:50 AM CDT
    • To Old To Rock? What the hell is that? I played with Tonto and the Renegades back in the 60's, I am currently 62 and my band today "The Trails End" plays almost every weekend. I suppose there may come a time in a persons life when the body is to old to Rock, but the mind is a perpetual 18.

• April 22, 2012 2:42 AM CDT
    • It's a piece of cake to do for nowt as well. Set up on Wordpress, buy your domain (we got thepulsebeats.com through their service for a few quid a year), set up on bandcamp for nowt and you're away.

King Lemon said:

thanks for the info - espiciallly the part about sending over just the bands own website - never thought of that before

kopper said:

I would also argue that it's because of this new social-networking craze that makes it even less important to be on a label. The DIY ethic is a helluva lot easier in 2012 than it was 20 years ago when you HAD to rely on labels, flyering, and getting reviews or interviews in printed 'zines. People are now in control of and have all the tools they need right at their fingertips to do all of their own marketing and promotion.

That said, any band in 2012 should still have their own website, first and foremost. Don't put all of your eggs in just one basket (i.e., Facebook or MySpace). Buy a domain name for your band and set up a blog there. Then connect it with your social networking sites... Facebook, Twitter, Bandcamp, LastFm, Hideout page, etc. I didn't list MySpace because I don't even waste my time on that crappy site anymore. Then instead of linking to your Facebook page and being overly worried or concerned that you don't have enough "Likes" on it or whatever, just link to your band's personal website. The important thing is that you have all the goods there that booking agents will need in order to book your band, such as music (a no-brainer), videos, a bio, etc. I would personally NEVER send any label or promoter a link to my band's Facebook page. Let them find that on their own AFTER they visit your site.