Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• February 14, 2012 4:15 PM CST
    • wow ,that is actually a great tale of the powerr of rock and roll.

• February 14, 2012 3:06 PM CST
    •  As child my only escape was the radio. I was told as a preteen that RR would give me a one way ticket to hell.Then after listening to magic carpet ride, I had goosebumps on my arms and thinking anything that makes me feel this good cant be wrong.

• February 14, 2012 1:45 PM CST
    • for the amout of members here this forum is kind of dead, so just talk about the elements of the 50s/60s sound and why do you love it so much.

I love R&R ,rockablilly ,blues ,garage ,psych etc because as a guitarist i love the tones and techniques of the guitarists.

NOW SPEAK!

• February 14, 2012 4:13 PM CST
    • Hey I love 60's vox guitars and ,well there out of my price range so ,are there any cheap copies of the teardrop or phantom (I'd be more specific and pick one ,but it depends on my mood and who I've been listening to), also is there a difference in tone between the two (also whammy bars are preferable but not esential so bear that in mind in your responses.

Thanks,

Ben.

• February 14, 2012 3:08 PM CST
    • Very cool to have new music from The Oblivians coming out!

• February 14, 2012 2:18 PM CST
    • Fuck Hot Pockets.  

• February 14, 2012 9:21 AM CST
    • Man, I wanted to befriend Hot Pockets, but he seems to be gone.  Seems his garage was not producing the right lead ladened carbon monoxide poisoning gas emissions that your garage does.  I think his opinions were valid.  Surely, garagepunk is and was always a fuck you genre of closed minded backwards looking idiots and being the coolest, ineptest, loudest, cheapskatiest, combo in your area is the pinnacle of uber-fuck-y'all-mainstream-sheep.  I kind of agree with the "what are these old dudes doing pretending to be all teenage angst" sentiment of Mr Pockets.

...and I never listened to the oblivians till today.  I too like my old 50's and 60's shit and past there few bands make the mark for me so I don't even try anymore.  At least Hot Pockets had seen and heard these guys play.

• February 14, 2012 1:38 PM CST
    • i'D SETTLE FOR tHE wARRIORS SHIRT.

dying slowly said:

I want your phantom

The Phantom Scars said:

• February 14, 2012 1:36 PM CST
    • I want your phantom

The Phantom Scars said:

• February 14, 2012 11:32 AM CST
    • WTF?????  ummmmm...can you show some pictures?  

Matching genitals is the funniest thing i've heard in ages....lol....

Thee Genitals 4 said:

We all dress like matching genitals.

Does that count?

• February 14, 2012 8:58 AM CST
    • Well we don't wear jackets! But....

• February 14, 2012 8:37 AM CST
    • Our theme for "Northside Garage" is Garage - work shirts with names and hats. The upside is I never have to think about what to wear. Guess that's a little lazy too ;)

• February 14, 2012 2:02 PM CST
    • Hey folks,

I'm Doug, a 21 year old student. I play guitar, and drum occasionally. I'm mostly into punk, rock'n'roll, and garage, but I dabble in hardcore. I run a music blog at http://waxtrash.tumblr.com/ - I post reviews and whatever I'm into musically. I'd love to review your band; follow the 'feed me music' link, and I'll be able to get some stuff put up on the blog about you.

• February 14, 2012 1:40 PM CST
    • any one got any advice on a psychotic reaction type lead tone on a tight (very tight) budget

• February 14, 2012 1:35 PM CST
    • I think rudi got caught up in that whole 'only garage revival band on a major label' buisness and decided this made them the best and most important, to be fair i do like the fuzztones and the LA years particulaly

• February 14, 2012 1:25 PM CST
    • I have never heard a Fuzztones song. That's all I got.

• February 14, 2012 1:03 PM CST
    • This is just so typical Rudi on so many levels. He fails to understand the importance of so many other bands from the 80's wave of garage greatness that played in Europe in the '80s.  His band was just one of them. The Fuzztones and Rudi in particular have ruined any kind of a legacy he might of had these days because of big-headedness like this. But this is certainly not news to many of us here. Bad news travels fast indeed.

• February 14, 2012 11:03 AM CST
    • The Cramps, The Milkshakes, The Sting-Rays, The Nomads (Sweden), The Chesterfield Kings.....  I know there are many more, but in Europe these cats came before..... hell, even The Undertones (a more garage than punk band) was covering Nuggets songs before The Fuzztones donned their black leather and bones and took the garage clique to a ridiculously almost metal pinnacle.

I liked that first album a little bit but for some reason the above always held my ears interest for way longer.

• February 14, 2012 10:15 AM CST
    • What an arrogant, lying bastard. He's fucking delusional. Or insane. Who cares, anyway? The Fuzztones suck.

• February 14, 2012 9:46 AM CST
    • So this email was forwarded to me by a friend. It came from a journalist friend of his from the UK after his son stumbled upon a video of The Fuzztones on youtube. I just had to share!,

For the record, even though I was once in this band... I side with the kid on this subject!!

• The album said singer is self praising only had 2 original songs on it.
      • He introduced Garage to Europe? Really?? I mean c'mon there were already Garage bands playing there when we got there, for example The Last Drive, The Stomachmouths, not to mention the first wave of authentic 60's garage bands that started the whole thing.  This claim would be like Keith Richards claiming he invented the Chuck Berry duckwalk! 
      • I was in this band when it was in its prime (major label, RCA) and that was 23 years ago. Since then there has been a revolving door of musicians, very few lasting more than a year or two...so celebrating the 30th anniversary to me is quite funny.
      • Is he going to claim that he invented the wheel, sliced bread & the internet next?? lol!
      • The black Phantom he's playing in the video is a stolen guitar. It belongs to Jordan Tarlow.... Here's the email...

My son was logged on to you-tube and he ran across the Fuzztones and he asked me and couple mates of mine who work for Mojo and NME if we had ever heard of them. My son showed us this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Bo5rFjIG4 and we could not stop laughing after listening to the lead singer, i forgot his name, tell the crowd that he was the first to ever introduce Garage music to the European audience. My son was very angry and so were my 2 mates when he nothing good to say about the Strokes, Hives and White Stripes. All 3 of those groups are my son's favorite. All 3 of those groups have made front pages of Mojo, NME and other music papers. 30 years in the business and they are still playing empty little clubs and they never get media coverage. Are they mates of yours? The reason i asked, aren't they an LA band? Was Kim Fowley ever the group's manager/producer?

My answer: No Kim Fowley was not the groups MGR or producer. No they are not an LA band. They were for a while when we were in the band. Nowadays, the Fuzzclones live in Berlin. 

So when you hear this kind of stuff, don't be mad at me. I'm appalled too.

• February 14, 2012 11:22 AM CST
    • Just saw that THE STANDELLS are playing sxsw

Sat Mar 17 2012 at 08:00 pm

Venue : SXSW @ Buffalo Billiards, 201 E. 6th St.

"The Standells are scheduled to perform at the SXSW Festival on Saturday, March 17th. The group is currently working on their new album, and several of their new songs will be performed on stage for the first time. We can tell you that the group is really excited about the new material, and judging by the reaction from those who have heard one of the songs, you’ll be every bit as excited!!!"

• February 14, 2012 9:08 AM CST
    • Nice from a guy who plays in Thee Genitals !!!  haha

Thee Genitals 4 said:

Keep playing with heart.