Forums » Shakin' Street

List of newest posts

• February 15, 2012 1:00 PM CST
    • still to much

Johnny Duo Jet said:

Have you looked at www.phantomguitars.com?  More reasonable than the actual Vox guitars.  I've never heard one, but you might check out youtube.  Also keep an eye on ebay.  There's currently a teardrop shape guitar for $299.

John

• February 15, 2012 12:51 PM CST
    • Hi Ben,

Have you checked out the KAPA Minstrel? There are 6 and 12 string models, both with a whammy. The one I play in THEE DIRTYBEATS (see attached photo) is a 1967 KAPA Minstrel 6 string with a whammy bar. I got it on eBay for around $300.

*Great* guitar. KAPA was a tiny musical instrument company near DC in the 60s. They designed the bodies, manufactured them locally, and assembled the finished product using hardware, electronics and necks from Hofner and Harmony. KAPA guitars played reasonably well; more significantly, they were far cheaper than Fenders, Gibsons or Voxes, which probably explains their popularity with garage rock bands of the day.

These days the KAPA Minstrel is appreciated by postrock bands for its unique tone, vibrato system, and generous "third bridge", the stretch of strings between the bridge and tailpiece, from which one can elicit chiming harp-like effects. (e.g. SONIC YOUTH's Lee Ranaldo occasionally uses a 12 string Minstrel: http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/eq/gtr11.html)

-A

THEE DIRTYBEATS - maximum vintage garage
      http://theedirtybeats.bandcamp.com

• February 15, 2012 2:22 AM CST
    • i just got an eko ghost, fantastic guitar with a nice trem setup and blade humbuckers , half the price of a real phantom, but still made by the company that made phantoms in the sixtees.

looks fantasic plays well, decent hardware, capable of a multitude of tones, quite pleased with it as it happens.

might benifit from a single coil in the bridge but thats just me.

• February 14, 2012 11:51 PM CST
    • Have you looked at www.phantomguitars.com?  More reasonable than the actual Vox guitars.  I've never heard one, but you might check out youtube.  Also keep an eye on ebay.  There's currently a teardrop shape guitar for $299.

John

• February 15, 2012 12:59 PM CST
    • Bloody hell im 14 I know who he is but then I have considerabley better taste in music than these humansfrom what i  getting

• February 15, 2012 8:15 AM CST
    • Wasn't Paul McCartney married to that lady from Dancing with the Stars?

• February 15, 2012 8:05 AM CST
    • Who's Jesse McCartney?

• February 15, 2012 7:58 AM CST
    • i think my favorite were the people asking if he was Jesse McCartney's uncle/dad

• February 15, 2012 12:55 PM CST
    • Lemmy / Motorhead fan here since day 1!! I've been diggin' Lemmy well before MH......the Hawkwind years......that's where any decent book on Lemmy / Motorhead should start. There is no unlinking Lemmy's music with the lads in MH to HW. Even the name Motorhead comes from a Hawkwind tune. I think this book's gonna be fun to read :). Thanx :)

• February 15, 2012 11:26 AM CST
    •  

Whereas the 2002 autobiography "White Line Fever" told the life story of frontman and bassist Lemmy Kilmister, this volume by Joel McIver focuses more on the other members of Motorhead as well. The chapters are broken down by years from before 1971 to 2011. There is a lot of material about the classic Clarke/Taylor/Kilmister line up as well as the early days of punk. The current line up with Phil Campbell and Mikkey Dee is well represented too. The book concludes with information about Motorhead's latest offering The World is Yours and the rocumentary Lemmy. This is certainly a book for Motorhead completists but also a good overview for those new to Motorhead. Any Motorhead fans out there?

• February 15, 2012 8:14 AM CST
    • Right there with you these days - black pants, red shirt, black tie. Sometimes when we are really feeling crazy we'll go black shirt, red tie.

• February 15, 2012 7:24 AM CST
    • White shirt, black pants and black tie... Classic and inexpensive !

• February 15, 2012 4:37 AM CST
    • My Fave bands that dress up or used to back when they were gigging: Los Straitjackets, Thee Headcoats, Man or Astro Man, Nero and the Gladiators, Kraftwerk, Paul Revere and the Raiders, The Monks, The Ramones (best t-shirts and jeans act), The Spotnicks, Devo, Sounds Incorporated, The Wombles, Bay City Rollers!!

• February 15, 2012 2:51 AM CST
    • Oh come on John! I likes me some theater!!!!

John Carlucci said:

When I was a kid I went to Catholic School. I wore a uniform for eight years. I got into Rock N Roll to rebel against the status quo. I am and always have been a non conformist. To each his own, but I prefer bands with individuality.

• February 14, 2012 11:54 PM CST
    •  When I was a kid I went to Catholic School. I wore a uniform for eight years. I got into Rock N Roll to rebel against the status quo. I am and always have been a non conformist. To each his own, but I prefer bands with individuality.

• February 15, 2012 6:26 AM CST
    • the Beatles were and are fantastic....something for every mood.....love Revolver

• February 15, 2012 6:18 AM CST
    • It's easy to crap all over the Fuzztones because of Rudi. I just gotta say here that I always had a cool time and easy friendship with you John as well as Jordan and even Mike. You guys were always really cool. Remember when Gary Wylde sang with the doppleganger Fuzztones in Hollywood and everyone thought it was Rudi?!

• February 15, 2012 6:13 AM CST
    • Great album though...

• February 15, 2012 5:18 AM CST
    • Oh ugh, Rudi...

• February 14, 2012 10:43 PM CST
    • @ Gringo, I know exactly what you mean, and that's why I put this post up. When you are or were in a band with someone, you kinda get lumped in with them in a birds of a feather kind of way. I wanted to clarify that I and the rest of the band do not feel that way. Let's give credit to The Miracle Workers, The Lyres, The Pandoras, The Unclaimed, Thee Fourgiven, The Chesterfield Kings, The Outta place, The Mad Daddy's & especially The Cramps! Hell, even Stiv Bators played a Vox Phantom & covered Sonics songs before Rudi did!

• February 14, 2012 9:09 PM CST
    • Well thanks. Becaue I was part of the LA contingent. But to be perfectly honest, we got a major label deal despite Rudi. Jordan & I negotiated that deal, which of course he fucked up by alienating the whole band with his huge ego to the point where we walked away from the deal right in the middle of recording our second lp. 

dying slowly said:

I think rudi got caught up in that whole 'only garage revival band on a major label' buisness and decided this made them the best and most important, to be fair i do like the fuzztones and the LA years particulaly

• February 15, 2012 6:09 AM CST
    • Thanks guys!

• February 15, 2012 5:34 AM CST
    • Wax Trash (http://waxtrash.tumblr.com/) is a tumblr i run reviewing garage/punk/hardcore releases, along with features on shows I attend, and hopefully, band interviews. Right now I'm trying to build a decent following, and I'm always looking for new material. I'd be happy to review anything sent to me that loosely fits the genre description - email a link or mp3s to waxtrash@gmail.com!

• February 14, 2012 4:40 PM CST
    • CQ Records proudly presents...Javacalypse Now! free day show at Austin Java (1206 Parkway) Thursday March 15th!  Here's the lineup...

CQ Records proudly presents...
      Smithers (ATX)
      Bottle Service (ATX)
      Shitty Awesome (Norman, OK)
      The French Inhales (ATX)
      Love Collector (ATX)
      The Ultra S/C (Nashville, ex-Quadrajets, Immortal Lee Co. Killers, Soledad Brothers, Be Your Own Pet)
      Los Headaches (Mexico City)
      Mystery Twins (Nashville, featuring members of The Clutters)
      Los Vigilantes (Puerto Rico, Courtesy of Slovenly/Norton Records)
      The Wrong Words (Oakland, Courtesy of Trouble In Mind Records)
      Broncho (Tulsa)